We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New User; what would you buy?

I'm an experienced MMO'er but know almost nothing about LOTRO. I've decided to give it a whirl, especially after they announced the. 5th expansion, so it looks like the game is at least doing, well enough?

I'll be looking for a Guild but that's separate from my question here.

Question:

What would you buy, after you downloaded the Free trial,and were thinking of staying?

Options:

The 4 pack
    A 6 month sub?
    The Sam Gangee 10$ ack?

Any,and I mean any, advice welcomed....

Thx gang!
    Tyreanthil

The Quad Pack on the new LOTRO store is a great deal. For leveling purposes, the 100% XP boosts are a great way to help expedite the process of reaching higher end content.
    If you are having fun with the game and can foresee playing for a while, VIP status has its perks as it comes with a substantial amount of TP and content (skirmish packs, quests, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Tyreanthil View Post
    I'm an experienced MMO'er but know almost nothing about LOTRO. I've decided to give it a whirl, especially after they announced the. 5th expansion, so it looks like the game is at least doing, well enough?

I'll be looking for a Guild but that's separate from my question here.

Question:

What would you buy, after you downloaded the Free trial,and were thinking of staying?

Options:

The 4 pack
    A 6 month sub?
    The Sam Gangee 10$ ack?

Any,and I mean any, advice welcomed....

Thx gang!
    Tyreanthil

Quote Originally Posted by Catoma View Post
    If you are having fun with the game and can foresee playing for a while, VIP status has its perks as it comes with a substantial amount of TP and content (skirmish packs, quests, etc).
    One month of VIP so you get all the downgrade perks is a must-buy! (Swift-travel alone makes it worth it!).
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

If you like the game;

The 4 pack
    1 Year VIP Subscription.

Than you can earn maximum of all advantages which this game can offer.

Quad pack ($40) + Sam Gamgee ($10) + VIP (3 months for $30 is a solid deal for a starting player) = $80

Oh and FYI, there should be a "double bonus points" promotion coming up soon, which is a great time to buy TP and save a few bucks. Double bonus points doesn't mean "double points", it means double "BONUS" points. A table which shows the point packages and how much bonus points are in each package can be seen here: https://www.lotro.com/en/buy-turbine-points

The Samwise, perhaps. A month only of VIP, perhaps. And then nothing. Don't make a character anywhere that you wish to keep yet.

You're only just come to lotro, then? So shop about first. Visit the servers, join the glff channel.

/joinchannel glff.

It isn't the best channel- you might read some stupid things there, yet glff tends to have the most talk at any time of the day or night, no matter the server. Read what actual players are saying there. How many players, how many lively kinships so that you find a server which isn't empty. Friendly folk who aren't about consistently to help you won't make for a good time. Take one of the top four for amount of players at least - and don't believe the 'suggested server' that Turbine shoves at you. Do some research first. You truly don't want to find yourself alone here. Find your kinship. If both the server and kinship feel well to you then have a go at a character you want to keep. Lotro's nearing six years old. You say you've been about so you know it's long in the tooth. Should you wish to stay even so, and you're staying premium?

The Eriador bundle, if they have it and it's on sale, isn't a terrible thing. The Mines of Moria is perhaps the high water mark for Lotro -the best that questing and dungeon crawling have come yet- so that's worth the money. Whatever comes after is a mishmash of dubious content, the quality of which is a matter of long debate among players, and none of which will have the same feeling of, 'They loved it and loved crafting it for me to play.' Or at least not as much of the lotro flavour you'll have experienced til then. Most of it slides rather alarmingly into the same trashy MMO pitfalls that lotro's other, major competitors in the field have owned for years. Reputations grinding, daily questing -and often linked- with item grinding and other monotony thrown in.

Rant aside, you wanted to know what other to buy. Beyond those questing packs, and if you're playing through to Moria then you'll want the fleet-footed goat from the start for your character.

It's white with some silver and black kit/harness. It's a sixty eight speed mount and quick as ever they come - even reputations mounts. It's sturdy and goats are the only mounts you're able to use both without and within the caverns of Moria. For the other bits, the hasteners and other sundry items from the store, such is yours to say, though know that coming in -and coming in as premium what more- every little inconvenience you'll have will have a solution from the store.

Every itch will have its scratch, whether it's levelling, crafting, reputation, or some other 'something' with a progress bar attached. All of them are seemingly reasonably-priced and all of them are set to have you believing you couldn't live or play without them so that you're out of money before you know it. Don't spend for legendary item customising, they're throw-away weapons and items no matter what anybody says. And as the tenor of this game for the last many years has been to up the leveling cap by five to ten levels every six months to a year, you'll never have a weapon that 'stays and levels with you.' Get them as you find them, yes. Use them and level them through other conventional manners and then break them as you find 'better.' Again, for all those little scratches the truth is you just don't need them.

Take your time to savour the game, should you still wish to. There is nothing, absolutely nothing in this game worth your rushing through what comes between levels one through sixty five; not raiding, not pvmp, and not even the books epic questing line. Rushing through the older, more solid, and far more polished contents will only leave you feeling cheated and at loose ends later.

Other than that, best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyreanthil View Post
    The universal toolkit is an absolute must-have!

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    The universal toolkit is an absolute must-have!
    I agree it's a great buy, but I would hold off on getting it because that can be easily attained for only 30 bounder tokens from the vendor once the server reaches the goal. Shouldn't be much longer till most servers get to 1.75 mil.

Level up, look at the traits you really need and how to get them, if any of the tasks look a little too daunting at the end, then buy those virtues. After buying extra storage that's my only purchase, though I am VIP so that probably makes a big difference, but man, some of those deeds...