We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Upgrading to Premium/VIP & Content Questions

I am a free-to-play player. The two things that bug me the most about being free is the gold cap (2 gold), and inventory space. I am not looking to buy a subscription, as I can't afford it. But if I purchase a points card (or even the Shadows of Angmar "complete" game - availabe at GameStop for $10), does this upgrade me to Premium/VIP? If it upgrades to VIP, I understand that once it downgrades (the points card expires), the several items I am concerned about (gold and inventory) would stay (in essence making me a Premium Member? I am a bit confused on these issues. Help!

Also, as a free player, what content of the original game (or expansions) do I have access to? Is it content other than the Epic Quests?

Thanks to anyone who can clear up my obvious confusion regarding these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMichaelPrescott View Post
    I am a free-to-play player. The two things that bug me the most about being free is the gold cap (2 gold), and inventory space. I am not looking to buy a subscription, as I can't afford it. But if I purchase a points card (or even the Shadows of Angmar "complete" game - availabe at GameStop for $10), does this upgrade me to Premium/VIP?
    Merely purchasing points with cash will make you Premium, not VIP. Though, some purchases come with a month of VIP, like Mines of Moria box, I'm not sure what Gamestop is selling, so I can't say whether it comes with VIP or not.
    If it upgrades to VIP, I understand that once it downgrades (the points card expires), the several items I am concerned about (gold and inventory) would stay (in essence making me a Premium Member?
    For each character you log onto while VIP, it'll unlock all their traits, remove the gold cap, open the 4th and 5th bag and allow swift travel.
    These benefits remain, even after VIP is dropped.

You can find a complete list of what each account type entails here.
    Also, as a free player, what content of the original game (or expansions) do I have access to? Is it content other than the Epic Quests?
    The only zones available to F2P are Ered Luin (Elf/Dwarf starter), Shire (Hobbit starter), Bree (Human starter) and Lone Lands.

You'll also have access to Epic quests and daily tasks in other zones, but their normal quests and deeds will be locked until you purchase their quest pack or become VIP.
    Keep in mind, even VIPs have to purchase the expansions; Mines of Moria, Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, Riders of Rohan.

If you're willing to spend $10 on the Shadows of Angmar box, you should be willing to pay $15 for a month of VIP.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    If you're willing to spend $10 on the Shadows of Angmar box, you should be willing to pay $15 for a month of VIP.
    Definitely a must to subscribe just for 1 month to unlock everything that you can later keep.

Sub 1 month! If you made enough tp for the moria expansion (granting two additional character slots), shop that and then apply VIP 1 month.

You get unlocked -
    all traits and virtue slots forever on characters created or played while VIP
    guild craft access if entered it while VIP
    swift travel on those characters
    lvl 20 quest for riding skill if done during VIP
    cash cap unlocked for characters played or created during VIP
    longer time idle before getting logged out, 20 min while VIP I think, and 15 when you drop to premium

probably more

I went VIP one month every time I have added a couple of character slots for storage. Being a lazy bum, I need my swift travel. Being a lazy, disorganized bum, I added character slots for space to dump loot.

Then look for sales on quest packs and shop the game content for TP. Don't hurry. Cheap freeloading for Le Win.

I am a free-to-play player. The two things that bug me the most about being free is the gold cap (2 gold), and inventory space. I am not looking to buy a subscription, as I can't afford it. But if I purchase a points card (or even the Shadows of Angmar "complete" game - availabe at GameStop for $10), does this upgrade me to Premium/VIP? If it upgrades to VIP, I understand that once it downgrades (the points card expires), the several items I am concerned about (gold and inventory) would stay (in essence making me a Premium Member? I am a bit confused on these issues. Help!
    Is this what you are considering? http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/lor...f-angmar/60648

If you are considering buying a box of obsolete software and documentation just to upgrade your account, I recommend the Mines of Moria box instead: http://www.microcenter.com/product/3..._of_Moria_(PC)

The Shadows of Angmar box *may* be from the original game release in 2007. All that will give you is 1 month of VIP. A box that includes Mines of Moria will give you the complete Moria expansion in addition to a month of VIP time, so it's a much better deal.

VERY IMPORTANT: make sure that the box you buy does NOT say "Codemasters" anywhere on it. Those were produced for the European market and the codes WILL NOT WORK. In that vein, do not buy any box where the product key has already been used. It will do you no good.

Remember that the software in these boxes is obsolete. Do not install from these disks. All you need to do is log on to your account and apply the (unused) product key found in the box. Everything else in the box is junk.

You have access to deeds and non-Epic quests in the Shire, Breeland, Ered Luin, and the Lonelands. This is enough content to get you to level 30. You have access to all Epic quests in every zone. You can travel to any zone (if you meet the level and quest requirements), but you just won't get the deeds and non-Epic quests while you are there. If a zone has quest requirements to access it, then those quests will be Epic and you can do them no matter what content you choose to buy.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    Is this what you are considering? http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/lor...f-angmar/60648

If you are considering buying a box of obsolete software and documentation just to upgrade your account, I recommend the Mines of Moria box instead: http://www.microcenter.com/product/3..._of_Moria_(PC)

The Shadows of Angmar box *may* be from the original game release in 2007. All that will give you is 1 month of VIP. A box that includes Mines of Moria will give you the complete Moria expansion in addition to a month of VIP time, so it's a much better deal.
    Yeah, that was the product I was considering. I have VERY limited funds, but $15 sounds very reasonable. Can you buy Moria from within the game's LOTRO Store or do I have to go to a third-party (like your link)?

Thanks for all the help.

Can you buy Moria from within the game's LOTRO Store or do I have to go to a third-party (like your link)?
    You can purchase the Moria expansion either online or in game through the TP store, but it won't come with the month of VIP that the box comes with.

Keep in mind, most expansions have an Expansion and a Quest pack variant for sale. So, check them out so you're not buying more than you want.
    In the case of Moria, both contain all quests and expansions, but the Expansion comes with 2 extra character slots and unlocks the 2 locked premium classes.

But, before you purchase, I'd say to wait for the Helm's Deep bundles to be announced. You might be able to catch a good deal.