We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: DDO

DDO

I'm thinking of trying this game by Turbine as well. Looks pretty cool.

Will it work on windows 7?

http://www.ddo.com/en
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

~ Bilbo Baggins * J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Linathrial View Post
    I'm thinking of trying this game by Turbine as well. Looks pretty cool.

Will it work on windows 7?

http://www.ddo.com/en
    Yes.

FYI...

It's mostly instance based. You're based in a city and each time you enter a dungeon you're in an instance. The city itself is just markets and instance doors. There are also some open area instances. Really a grouping game. You kind of run out of options if you try to play solo.

Also note that Turbine Points for LOTRO are separate from TP for DDO. You have to start a new batch.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Really a grouping game. You kind of run out of options if you try to play solo.
    This is no longer the case. Turbine introduced Dungeon Scaling a while back. If you go in solo or solo with a hireling, the difficulty adjusts downward making completion possible for many character builds. I started playing about three months ago. Of the approximately 310 dungeons in the game I have soled about 200 of them on my main character with a Cleric hireling. In fact, I only skipped raids and have about 100 more quests I can reasonably solo.

DDO went through the same painful transition LOTRO currently suffers through. Class roles were essentially wiped out and everyone now builds for maximum damage output, survivability, and self healing. A typical pick-up group feels like 6 people soloing the dungeon at the same time. Group play is all about getting through dungeons as fast as possible to maximizing experience point acquisition per minute.

That being said, with the right friends you can still build and play characters for traditional tank, healing, damage, and crowd control roles. When I play with my close friends we have a great time doing things the old fashioned way.

Thank you very much guys for the replies.

I downloaded DDO a couple of days ago and have been having fun playing, with all it's traps, puzzles, dungeons...etc. I also downloaded Neverwinter just to give it a try for kicks and giggles...the combat system is pretty cool and definitely has some eye candy too but I would have to say that DDO has been a bit more fun for me...more to do as far as traps, puzzles. Both games are cool...but they are certainly not LOTRO. I like the variety of these 3 games though, it's a good combination for me and am having a blast with all 3.

Have fun guys.
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Really a grouping game. You kind of run out of options if you try to play solo.
    This actually works out great for me, considering LOTRO, so far anyways has been more of a solo experience for me. I seem to be having no problem finding people on DDO {Thelanis}, I picked one of the more populated servers for this very reason, knowing that DDO is probably more of a group experience.

As far as Turbine points being separate form LOTRO, I already knew that and it's all good.

/Cheers

My only gripe I have about DDO is the 5k or more TP in my DDO account that I can't use in LotRO. But any way Turbine's other great game is/will be Infinite Crisis if you are into that stuff.