We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It's amusing to come back after 8 months or so and still find topics like this, not a dig at the OP at all, it's a valid question and there is certainly a sliding scale over what kinds of advantages you are capable of getting through real money in most F2P games. I stopped playing not because I hate the game or anything, and certainly not because there was nothing to do..on the contrary it felt like the mountain of things to do was nearly insurmountable.

Basically speaking, F2P model always offers some advantages to those that give money, there needs to be some carrot and stick for you to open your wallet, and games aren't developed for free, which most people agree is fair. Mostly, these advantages are 'bypass time sinks' variety and the old school die hard fanboi types would always argue that all advantages are of this type because you can earn real money currency (TP) in game..this is true in fact but really, unless you are willing to work at it for an effective rate of less than a sneaker manufacturing child in Tunisia is not particularly practical, but then again if you enjoy it and have nothing better to do with your time is indeed possible, ya know, like if you are a philosophy major at college

What I found annoying as an OCD must get everything 'maxed' type the mountain became too high, and full of effort, and even a VIP membership required, on my time budget which was at the time quite extensive (go philosophy!), significant, further purchases of TP to accomplish my goals became a requirement...and this is why one day I woke up feeling liberated from my LOTRO addiction and still do, I don't think I've logged in for more than 2hrs total in months..mostly just to make sure all my housing was still intact and paid up.

If competitive edge in whatever form is your thing F2P in general, not just LOTRO, is not for you, if however you want to stroll through the land of Middle Earth and couldn't care less about being top of your game and are just content to play it for what it is, you needn't worry or give a cent, and will no doubt enjoy it!
    Q. What state do you live in?
    A. Denial

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    or craft a scroll that will give you 100% crit on single-use recipes.
    This cannot be done.

There are guild versions of some recipes which result in the crit-output from the oneshot, but you cannot produce anything that will give you 100% crit on ANYTHING.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    This cannot be done.

There are guild versions of some recipes which result in the crit-output from the oneshot, but you cannot produce anything that will give you 100% crit on ANYTHING.
    I'm probably misremembering the effect of the scrolls you use on one-shot recipes. Are they not 100%, which is the point of having to spend a shard crafting those annoying things in the first place? They're called something like "Expert <craftname> Journals" and they are crafted by Scholars from recipes which are themselves one-shots.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    I'm probably misremembering the effect of the scrolls you use on one-shot recipes. Are they not 100%, which is the point of having to spend a shard crafting those annoying things in the first place? They're called something like "Expert <craftname> Journals" and they are crafted by Scholars from recipes which are themselves one-shots.
    You are talking about the use of 'optional items'. They increase the chance by a specific percent. It varies by craft tier. The total percent never reaches 100%.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

I see "Pay-to-Win" as a game that a player may be able to have a clear distinct advantage over another player that does not sink money into the game. You cant spend $20 on a legendary weapon that will always be better than a weapon you may find in game. IE you wont be at a disadvantage if you dont spend money on the little perks. A lot of games have "elite" or the most powerful game elements locked behind a store, with lotro you really only need to pay for the expansions and story of the game to progress your character. I would suggest though throwing RL $5 into your account and buy something as it will unlock and bring you from a free player account to a premium account...i think. You can even spend $30 and get the first 3 expansions which if done right can get you to level 70-75 with the current level cap at 85.

And by the time you reach the end of the 3rd expansion you have plenty of deeds finished or can finish, to amass some turbine points to spend

I do not see lotro as a pay-to-win game, i can have my character be just as good as a player who spends money to "beef up".

The instances can be fun, also the fun can last if you play with a group or a friend.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK - Quad Core i5 3470 3.20GHz - 8Gb RAM - GTX 660 Ti 2GB (SLI) - Windows 10 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Balthiir View Post
    Also are the instances fun? Is the game well-populated?
    Yes to pay-to-win. Mostly for the PvMP aspect.

No. The instances are incredibly boring now.

No. Right now on Vilya shortly after peak time there is only 337 players not anonymous from level 1-85. Of those, only 131 are level cap. We're likely a medium sized U.S. server.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaynith View Post
    The definition of paying to win, is that you are paying cash out of pocket, to give yourself an advantage above and beyond other players. We're up to... what now... 8 or 9 level of stat tomes? +90 on a stat or six is definitely pay to win.
    To me, the definition of pay to win is when a non-paying customer has no chance (or virtually none) of passing a certain level/monster/instance/whatever due to the lack of some item that only paying customers get. +90 to a stat is not pay to win. It's a couple percent extra damage. Nice, but not necessary to beat content, even T2 raids. Even if it *was* needed, you can buy them in-game as well for enough gold at the auction house.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthiir View Post
    Also are the instances fun? Is the game well-populated?
    Yes the game is P2W. That DOESN'T mean that you HAVE to pay-to-win, but you can if you want. There are things available in the store that you can go get with money that will progress your toon that you can't just go get in game. They are available in game from the RNG gods only.

I think the instances are fun and some servers are pretty well populated.

Number one- how do you "win" an MMO? I have always wondered that. That said, I think it IS pay-to-win. You can go on the store and buy items that give you a combat advantage. I don't, because I like to play the game to get the things I want. It's more fun that way. The community is great, my server (Landroval) always has plenty of people running around on it. I think all the content is fun and interesting, but I guess it's a matter of personal taste.
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between searches. Please try again in 116 seconds.

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000000d302/01006/signature.png]Mereniel[/charsig]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2