We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this game pay-to-win?

Also are the instances fun? Is the game well-populated?

Quote Originally Posted by Balthiir View Post
    Depend on what you consider as "win". If you are a solo pvper, then indeed there are some stuffs on the store that could give you an advantage over who dont spend cash or dont have time to farm for Turbine points. But if you group up, specially in raid, the difference is not much I think. Unless 1 group is 100% greenie creeps who doesnt buy anything and the other is 100% well geared freeps.

For PvE, you cannot pay to win. However, you need to pay to get access to instances and raids.

The old instances was fun. But, specially in this expansion, they made them easier, and the new raids arent match for the old ones, probably bcause they spent too much time for the new landscape mechanic, aka mount combat, and the new MOBA game.

The population have gone down hill this year, cause the easier (less fun) instances/raids, and the #### loot. Some might come back in few months with the new expansion. It's depend on what server you are too.
    Last edited by Hiritier; Sep 05 2013 at 12:02 AM.

Yes this game is P2W
    No the instances are not fun.
    No the game is not well-populated.

Quote Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
    Yes this game is P2W
    If you do not like it so much, why play or post here? If new players read things like this, they are less inclined to try it out, meaning that your low population statement becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Improvements cannot be made without players supporting the game. Whether you like it or not, people love this game, love to support it, love to play it. As for pay to win, I am new here so I will base my judgement from looking at the item mall and comparing them to other games with item malls, this games store is not even close to pay to win. 9 items out of 10 are either cosmetic or provide a limited advantage towards something like a buff. This would be minimal compared to a buff given in a group. Yes somethings like increased "X" seem like a major advantage and might be at lower level, but towards end game I cannot see them helping you much.

Most people that complain about item shops either cannot afford to purchase items, which happens, or lack the understanding of the game to make a well informed decision of the advantages of something. This is not a knock towards you or anyone else, just an observation I have made since I have been playing MMO's since the Mid 90's.

I know people that bored with it quickly. I know people that have played six years and plan to keep playing. It's best just to try it. As to P2W, solo is so easy that you hardly need to spend points to "win." In order to see all the content, however, you either have to do boring mindless repetitive junk or buy something that gives you content. It's absolutely possible to play and get all but PvMP and fast travel for the price of a computer and internet, but it is a job in itself to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Moldy-Cheese View Post
    If you do not like it so much, why play or post here? If new players read things like this, they are less inclined to try it out, meaning that your low population statement becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Improvements cannot be made without players supporting the game. Whether you like it or not, people love this game, love to support it, love to play it. As for pay to win, I am new here so I will base my judgement from looking at the item mall and comparing them to other games with item malls, this games store is not even close to pay to win. 9 items out of 10 are either cosmetic or provide a limited advantage towards something like a buff. This would be minimal compared to a buff given in a group. Yes somethings like increased "X" seem like a major advantage and might be at lower level, but towards end game I cannot see them helping you much.

Most people that complain about item shops either cannot afford to purchase items, which happens, or lack the understanding of the game to make a well informed decision of the advantages of something. This is not a knock towards you or anyone else, just an observation I have made since I have been playing MMO's since the Mid 90's.

The questions he asked obviously have no right or wrong answers-- simply personal opinions-- which is what I gave him.

@OP read the forums.. see how right I am.

The questions he asked obviously have no right or wrong answers-- simply personal opinions-- which is what I gave him.

@OP read the forums.. see how right I am.
    I will just say what you said to me, "no right or wrong answers-- simply personal opinions." Have a merry eve!

Yes this game is P2W
    I'm starting to think about it if you really kow the meaning of pay to win. LOTRO is not a pay to win game. In the store is nothing, what you have to buy to win in this game! Besides some cosmetics, a few crafting packs (you can find the ore, wood etc also in the game) and horses you can find all items in the game. So if you don't want to use the shop you don't have to.

But keep in mind. LOTRO is living from the revenue of the shop and the paying members.

In my opinion - no, Lotro is not pay to win. At least for me, PvE fan. All I may want, can be crafted, purchased in Auction house.
    The only thing is free players, like me: they need to unlock some things. Auction house, gold cap removal, riding skill, certain regions. After Angmar - every region has to be purchased by all players, free or not, to enjoy quests there. However, it is possible to purchase everything without spending a cent, just grinding for Turbine points.

I wouldn't call the game pay-to-win, though there are certain store-exclusive items that give you some advantage (like 100% crit scroll, pots with separate cooldowns, journeyman riding skill, ...)
    As for fun, that's very subjective. There are some very interesting instances in this game, but most activity at the moment is down to 5-20 minute steamroll farming runs due to the broken loot system we have right now.

don't mind the troll above... but i would not call the game pay-to-win, apart from a couple of little (not gamebreaking) exceptions everything is obtainable via ingame earned tp, it might take some and the grind can be hard at times, but i would not call it pay-to-win...

Pay-to-Win? Yes if you PvMP. No if you only PvE.

Some of the older instances are fun, the new ones are pretty boring and grindy.

The game is not well populated.

Let me ask this;

Does the word "Tolkien" have any meaning to you? This game is based on his writings. Fantasy
    This game is considered as a triple AAA game. Is it perfect? No it isnt.
    Are you content to play this game as it is, not as you compare it to another game?
    The game is 6 years old. Understand that the lower levels are not going to be very active compared to 5 and a 1/2 years ago.
    Understand that being a F2P game, there has to be a method of revenue I.E. LOTRO store. Pay to win means one has a preconceived notion. The game doesnt work quite like that.

In the end, one needs to have fun. Find out for yourself, after all its free.
    [URL="http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Nibli/media/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/Nibli/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Landroval Server
    Officer of The Lonely Mountain Band
    Whilst cooking for Elevensies, Tinki floors 2 Orcs with her frying pan and fresh caught fish. The frying pan critted for 18 hp and the fish was extra tender afterwards.

The game is NOT pay to win. You can have fun and be successful without buying things in the Store. However, if you are not a subscriber, you'll have a hard time past level 30 when the free content runs out. At that point, you'll need to buy quest packs in the Store, which unlock the deeds and non-Epic quests you'll need to continue leveling smoothly. You don't necessarily need to pay in real-life money; you can earn Turbine Points in-game and buy quest packs that way.

However, if you have SOME money (and I'm talking in the $10-$50 range), you can buy Turbine Points and save yourself a lot of repetitive work. Unlocking the quest packs (and expansions) gives you access to more deeds (which earn you Turbine Points) and more quests (which are fun and earn you character experience). That's the most pleasant way to level up. Do a search on "what quest packs should I buy" and you'll find lots of threads full of advice.

Are instances fun? Many of them are. Some aren't. Instances aren't the only things to do. But if you have no interest in story, or Tolkien/Lord of the Rings bores you, then you won't be having fun.

The game is well-populated once you find a server that's in your time zone, and you get out of the early areas that experienced players outlevel in a day or two. Since it is a mature game, a large percentage of the players have characters at or near cap. However, this is a good time to start out; most long-term players have played the current end-game content and are back to leveling up their alts and doing other housekeeping chores. They have more time and patience to spend on new players.

If you tell us what time zone you are in and what time of day you'll usually play, we can try to recommend some good servers for you. If you want to meet the most new players just starting out, then pick one of the servers at the top of the list in your launcher. When you first create a character, you'll be in a private instance where you learn early basic stuff. Then you'll go to a shared public instance where you may or may not see any other players. Once you finish the quest chain there (probably around level 6), you'll exit that instance and enter the "real" world, albeit in a low-level zone where you may or may not see more mature players.

You didn't tell us what makes a game fun for you, so I can't tell whether or not YOU will have fun. Download it and decide for yourself.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

hi everyone im new here,

i see that people say its not a pay to win, but i also saw that i need to buy turbin point to play a rune keeper (think its like 750 point) my question is how long would it take me to grind turbine point to be able to play a rune keeper ?

thank

Quote Originally Posted by Klyzzer View Post
    hi everyone im new here,

i see that people say its not a pay to win, but i also saw that i need to buy turbin point to play a rune keeper (think its like 750 point) my question is how long would it take me to grind turbine point to be able to play a rune keeper ?

thank
    It's tough to say how long it would take you to grind the TP since we have no idea how long it will take you to get through quests. There are guides on how to grind TP that you can find in these forums, following a guide is not only the best way to get the TP to begin with but also the best way to get an estimated time of how long it will take, since the creators of the guides usually include how long it takes them for their particular method.

RK is also included in the Moria expansion, so you may want to grind the extra TP and just buy Moria itself, since you'll also get a bunch of quests, instances, and the other paid class (warden) in addition to the RK.

When people of other games consistently use LOTRO as an example of a 'Pay to Win' game... they might just be on to something.

http://hearthstone.blizzpro.com/2013...e-p4e-not-p2w/

Quote Originally Posted by Klyzzer View Post
    hi everyone im new here,

thank
    So playing RK is somehow equal to winning lotro? A new and interesting take on the P2W issue...

Regards
    /T

Quote Originally Posted by Kaynith View Post
    When people of other games consistently use LOTRO as an example of a 'Pay to Win' game... they might just be on to something.
    Well, it comes down to how you define pay-to-win:
    - Can you advance in the game by paying money? yes, a little.
    - Do you have to pay money to have a chance/be effective/be the best? nope, not by far.
    Most advantages you can buy in the store can also be earned in-game with more or less grinding, and you can earn sufficient TP to buy store-items in game as well. And the advantages are relatively small individually.

A compelling argument you have there. Its about the degree then of PTW if thats true. These things dont rub me wrong. I dont use em.
    [URL="http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Nibli/media/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/Nibli/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Landroval Server
    Officer of The Lonely Mountain Band
    Whilst cooking for Elevensies, Tinki floors 2 Orcs with her frying pan and fresh caught fish. The frying pan critted for 18 hp and the fish was extra tender afterwards.

Nah...

This game's not Pay to Win. It's not like you can buy stats or anything with real world money.

Oh... wait...

What a coincidence that THIS, of all things, would be on sale today.

Anyone ever play ye olde AD&D back in the day?

I see things like this as slipping the Dungeon Master a $20 if he'll let your character have a few extra ability points. Max strength for a human male is 18/00? No problem... For $20 I'll make it 19 and we'll say he's got stone giant blood. For $100, we'll ratchet it all the way up to 25 and say his great, great, grandfather was a Titan!

But really, I don't care if other folks use these. They tend to be a fun vacuum for me, and I'd never use one unless it dropped in normal real world loot or from a box. I'd not buy it on the AH, nor in the store.

The definition of paying to win, is that you are paying cash out of pocket, to give yourself an advantage above and beyond other players. We're up to... what now... 8 or 9 level of stat tomes? +90 on a stat or six is definitely pay to win.
    Last edited by Kaynith; Sep 05 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Nah...

This game's not Pay to Win. It's not like you can buy stats or anything with real world money.
    The thing is... you don't NEED to buy those tomes. You can get those same stats in game, by completing deeds. Those tomes are also rare drops and are tradable, so you can buy them in the AH (rarely) or go grind for them. I would say that buying them in the Store is the easiest way to get them but far, FAR from the only way.

On top of that they're just not all that important at end game. I have thousands of TPs sitting around doing nothing, and have never bothered to buy these tomes. It just doesn't seem needed; once I gear my characters up they do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    The thing is... you don't NEED to buy those tomes. You can get those same stats in game, by completing deeds. Those tomes are also rare drops and are tradable, so you can buy them in the AH (rarely) or go grind for them. I would say that buying them in the Store is the easiest way to get them but far, FAR from the only way.

On top of that they're just not all that important at end game. I have thousands of TPs sitting around doing nothing, and have never bothered to buy these tomes. It just doesn't seem needed; once I gear my characters up they do fine.
    i agree, and then, is it not possible to get those store items without spending a single real world dollar/euro or whatever currency? YES! just farm a couple of tp and buy them like i will buy today my tome of agility VIII with tp i farmed, all the other tomes i got ingame through the AH, isn't that pay to win too? since i can buy the stats with a currency? try playing runes of magic, i can guarantee you won't be able to do the top instances without spending $100 a month the leist... yes you have acces to everything, but to be strong enough to run the on lvl instances you will have to spend real life money, that is what i call p2w, yes spending real life money will make things go faster, but almost all is available through the cashshop (pvmp is the only exception)

IDK.
    The example they provide (purchasing Virtues) is obtainable (with some grind, agree) ingame up to the top and then some levels. Is capability to buy in Store something you can earn easily for free ingame, a P2W? Not in my thoughts, at least. For P2W i'd think more about the various Store-exclusive potions, 100% crit success scrolls and stat tomes ( two latest are theoretically obtainable ingame, but with quite low success rate).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000163bef/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatter_of_Bree View Post
    For P2W i'd think more about the various Store-exclusive potions, 100% crit success scrolls and stat tomes ( two latest are theoretically obtainable ingame, but with quite low success rate).
    Store-exclusive potions give you a little bit of an advantage over in-game potions. Some are also rare drops in-game, and I'm fairly certain they can all be obtained from the silver hobbit gift box. Frankly, 75% of the times I've resorted to a store potion, I'm in such deep deepness that I was defeated anyway.

100% crit scrolls give you a savings in time, mostly, since you can get 75% crit using in-game buffs and items for repeatable recipes, or craft a scroll that will give you 100% crit on single-use recipes. Remember that guild crafters have recipes that produce guaranteed crit items, though on a cooldown.

Stat tomes drop in game, or you can earn those same stats by doing deeds. Buy enough zones and you'll have enough deeds to max out your virtues with no tomes required.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast