We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Please add level ranges in task item info windows

Hello there,

This is my first post in this forum and I don't know if Turbine or anybody else does care about it.
    But I think I should post it anyway just in case they do care for feedback and the idea is simple and useful.

So here's the idea:
    I liked the idea about the task items and the connected quests for some extra xp and rep points as every good game has a good motivation and reward system.
    the problem is only that those items pile up quickly to enormous piles in the bags and clog them up.
    Could Turbine not add to the info window when you hover over the item the level range that task item is good for?
    The info that it is useful for task quests alone is nice but the level range would truly help when task items from different zones pile up in your bags.

Just some general thoughts and impressions the game made on me.
    I got hooked by the game for the more higher, average mature level of players then in other MMO's.
    The game looks still great despite its age, just the ground is sometimes awfully reflective at some spots but that is not a real issue.
    Questing and sightseeing are more fun as well as in other games thanks to the good atmosphere and the writing.
    The maybe best game mechanic feature is the wonderful reward system for all kind of things which helps much more in long time motivation that most other games which are often just about level and loot gear only.

I am just a it sad about the UI as the game is not the most intuitive to learn.
    Luckily I made a MOST helpful friend which helped me a lot to learn the ropes of the games which proofed often enough way hidden in the extensive menus.
    Without that friend I had probably turned away from the game because of the frustration about how to set up and get into the game mechanics.

So I hope I can contribute maybe some other simple pragmatic suggestions in the future to help to make the game more accessible.

Since task boards are pretty specific to the range of quests at that location, just giving the range for the entire board, either explicitly or by hovering over the board would would as well.

Knowing that task boards are +/-4 levels should give you a quick estimate about which boards your are either significantly too low for, or have out leveled. This somewhat limits the utility of knowing the level range for a given task board.

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Since task boards are pretty specific to the range of quests at that location, just giving the range for the entire board, either explicitly or by hovering over the board would would as well.

Knowing that task boards are +/-4 levels should give you a quick estimate about which boards your are either significantly too low for, or have out leveled. This somewhat limits the utility of knowing the level range for a given task board.
    Sure, if I keep track of what task quests which boards have and then keep task items all the time well separated in my bags then I am sure it is quite easy.
    I came new to the game and so I don't have the right items to the right zones not in my blood. I found after some digging the task item list in the lotro wiki which is incredible helpful. But it is also a sign of evidence of incapacity to rely on some external source instead of implementing that one but most helpful piece of detail info in the item info window in the first place which should be really not that difficult to implement then some flying horses and back flipping ninjas.

When I try to clean my bags out I am usually by a trader and not at the task quest bar. When I outgrew a task quest I usually just see that through the gray color in the quest log. I am not THAT thorough in keeping my bag content sorted all the time and that level info would be really helpful instead of flipping back and forth between browser window and the game window.

If the item would for example say 'lv12-18' then you might be still able to use it when you have one old gray quest in your quest log, but you can then decide if you delete that last gray quest or keep the items you need for it and sell the rest.
    Last edited by Bearhug67; Nov 10 2013 at 01:00 AM.

First off, task boards were first introduced after most of my characters were *way* over level to use the ones put in in the first wave.

What I do is to look over the task items and pick out two or three that I find a lot of. This can be after your first significant run in an area. If I'm going to do task turn ins at all, I vendor everything but those few selected item types. Then I use up the task items I've gathered and vendor the rest. I can *always* get more task items. They drop like candy.

In actually using the task board, I get a task and turn it in. I run without open tasks.

So for any given character, I only need to keep track of two or three items that are good in the area that character is doing quests. Anything else is vendor trash. If the character goes over level for a given board, then everything in that area is vendor trash.

Granted, because of the way I play with respect to task boards, I don't need to check what level a board covers. However, I agree that making the board level range available is a good idea for those that need that information.

There is a task board plugin I find most useful when leveling up new characters.

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...nfo.php?id=498

I do like your suggestion as well. I played for a year or so before learning about plugins, and managing my task board items (without it) was a real pain.
    [COLOR=#ffd700]I'm a Banana[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhug67 View Post
    Hello there,

This is my first post in this forum and I don't know if Turbine or anybody else does care about it.
    But I think I should post it anyway just in case they do care for feedback and the idea is simple and useful.

So here's the idea:
    I liked the idea about the task items and the connected quests for some extra xp and rep points as every good game has a good motivation and reward system.
    the problem is only that those items pile up quickly to enormous piles in the bags and clog them up.
    Could Turbine not add to the info window when you hover over the item the level range that task item is good for?
    The info that it is useful for task quests alone is nice but the level range would truly help when task items from different zones pile up in your bags.
    One problem is that some task items are actually used for more than one task quest, that are of different levels.

While it might be more convenient to have the information available in-game, you should be able look up what you want to know at http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Tasks_Bulletin_Board

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    One problem is that some task items are actually used for more than one task quest, that are of different levels.

While it might be more convenient to have the information available in-game, you should be able look up what you want to know at http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Tasks_Bulletin_Board
    That list actually inspired me to my post as it helped me to clean out my bags.
    I know that a bunch of the items are used by more then just one task board and the level range can vary slightly for the items usefulness on the different boards.
    I didn't checked yet if some items might have gaps between level ranges where they might be useful again on higher levels, but that just reassures me that some small extra info in the game could be not just convenient but simply more helpful until there is some necessity it's kept out besides Turbine's budget.

Thank you for the link, I should have posted that as well in the first place for those which are new and didn't found it yet.

The idea sounds good, but there is a problem with it: The items don't have a level range.
    The level range comes from the task boards. There are a few items around level 30 which are valid for tasks with different levels, at different task boards.
    So you might not be able to accept tasks at Ost Guruth anymore, but you can turn in the exact same items in Estelding for example for different tasks.
    Also in the troll shaws you have 2 quests at different levels for the same item, the quests have different levels.

There exists a plugin for task board items, which analyses your inventory and tells you what you can turn in where.
    http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...nfo.php?id=498
    (not sure if this is the right one, but it is a plugin for task board items)

Also, this is an excellent overview of all the task board items:
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Task_items

I wish they'd implement something like GW2 or FF XIV where stuff like that goes into a separate place altogether and doesn't take up space in your personal inv.

Exclamation

[QUOTE=Bearhug67;6992398] ... Could Turbine not add to the info window when you hover over the item the level range that task item is good for? ... /QUOTE]
    The task quests already have written the minimum level required. The range range of xp is -/+ 5 levels. If the task quest have written from level 65 to level 75, the values according to this rule, will be from level 70 to level 80 & that will screw the calculations.
    The task items have no minimum/maximum level because more than 1 quest can use the same item. Also, task items are classified as junk loot, that have been reused to give you XP. Junk loot don't have level range, only wearable items do. If someone wanted to just sell the junk, the level requirement will be not needed.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    I wish they'd implement something like GW2 or FF XIV where stuff like that goes into a separate place altogether and doesn't take up space in your personal inv.
    And how would you sell the stuff then if you don't need it? How to give it to your game partner? Don't forget, junk loot was in the game long before the task boards and has been a important factor in the gold making machine, aka. economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    The one thing we have that is any way similar to that is the Enhanced Wallet. You can't take anything out of the Enhanced Wallet to vendor, transfer, or AH it.