We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I'm in love with my shield again

Howdy all,

Just wanted to declare my love for my guardian and all things sword and board. Refocused my free time to LOTRO after a few months off and for some reason I decided to take my guardian vault/storage character for a spin after almost a year of non-use. Watching the animations, getting my timing back and watching the ballet of shield to faces almost made me shed a manly warrior's tear lol. I was reminded of the epic fight scenes from the movie 300, Achilles storming the beach sequence of Troy and playing as Captain America in Marvel Ultimate Alliance. These are the things that inspired my love of the sword and board style and I'm ashamed that I ever stopped leveling my guardian in the first place.

I've always loved tanking classes and while not perfect, LOTRO does a good job. So if you get a random salute from a guardian on Imladris, just know it is from a player that is in love with his class.

Have fun guys!
    "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000009a4b/signature.png]Jonaethan[/charsig]

Good to see others passionate about their Guard, using it like a guard and not dps.

Cheers!
    105Grd 105Min 107Hunt 111Burg 101Ch 100RK 102Wdn 100Cpt 58LM 41Brn ::Leader of Phoenix Rising, Arkenstone::
    40Grd 35Min 35Ch 40RK 40Hunt 40Wdn ::Founder of The People Person's Paper People, Evernight::

Just this!

I'm a big sword and board fan too, (see this thread! https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Shield-Master)

It's just a shame that turbine don't see it this way, or just have a huge lack of imagination for taking us forward. We get so little attention, or even acknowledgement. I had long hoped that Helm's Deep would be the promised land for Guardians, but alas, early indications from here suggest otherwise. I fear Helm's Deep will mean nothing more than just another band aid for us.

Red face We love our guards

Quote Originally Posted by Kalelmaethor View Post
    Howdy all,

Just wanted to declare my love for my guardian and all things sword and board. Refocused my free time to LOTRO after a few months off and for some reason I decided to take my guardian vault/storage character for a spin after almost a year of non-use. Watching the animations, getting my timing back and watching the ballet of shield to faces almost made me shed a manly warrior's tear lol. I was reminded of the epic fight scenes from the movie 300, Achilles storming the beach sequence of Troy and playing as Captain America in Marvel Ultimate Alliance. These are the things that inspired my love of the sword and board style and I'm ashamed that I ever stopped leveling my guardian in the first place.

I've always loved tanking classes and while not perfect, LOTRO does a good job. So if you get a random salute from a guardian on Imladris, just know it is from a player that is in love with his class.

Have fun guys!
    So well said Kalel!!! I had to reply to your thread as it expresses the feelings of many of us guardians who are in love with our class and consider our shield to be our friend and constant companion. I am thinking about rolling an alt. but I am delaying the decision because I can't bear to part with my guardian or my beloved shield. Thanks for the post.

I also love my shield & 1 handed sword on my guard when im tanking. It looks great & makes fight big mobs & mean bosses so much easier. I also love my 2 hand axe when im killing random mobs out of a instance because my guard is no squishy & need no shield to 1 vs 1 goblins half my moral.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Enjoying the sword and board as well. Just have to find a kin and level it up now.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000020031d/signature.png]Serephun[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by ozoidi View Post
    Enjoying the sword and board as well. Just have to find a kin and level it up now.
    Take heart my brother(or sister) of the shield, you are a guardian! As long as you have a shield you are never truly alone! I wouldn't worry about the kin thing, most people want to have a guardian in their group or kin since we are just so damn good at doing what we do lol. Someone will ask you to join up sooner rather than later

On a side note, I wanted to encourage everyone that may have some misgivings about the upcoming class changes to take heart. I don't profess to be a guardian expert so I can't really theory-craft with how good or bad the upcoming changes will be before they go live. But I know tanks, protectors and the people who play them. It takes a special personality type, a strength of character to face an obstacle head on without fear. If they "break our class" we will find a way to shore up the weaknesses for we are strong in spirit. If we are "overpowered" we will use it to lead our kins and fellowships to victory for we are generous at heart. If everything stays the same, we will hold steady, like the sound of the waves of enemies that repeatedly crash against our shields.

We stand firm, we take the hardest hits and we endure. For we are Guardians.
    Last edited by Kalelmaethor; Nov 11 2013 at 11:45 AM.
    "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000009a4b/signature.png]Jonaethan[/charsig]

Spoken like a true Guardian! I salute you, brother!

The Shield does not protect me.
    It protects my country.
    It protects my city.
    It protects the right flank of my fellow warrior standing next to me in the phalanx.
    [URL=http://s163.photobucket.com/user/Valindur/media/Valindur7.jpg.html][IMG]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/Valindur/Valindur7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Valindur View Post
    The Shield does not protect me.
    It protects my country.
    It protects my city.
    It protects the right flank of my fellow warrior standing next to me in the phalanx.
    Oh! I like this. Well said!