We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

First screenshot of Trait Trees!

A couple of important things to note here:

• If what they said about points is accurate, we should have 71 points to play with at cap. (One point every two levels, plus one point for every class deed.) From what I can tell from the tree, without being able to see the numbers of the last couple of tiers, we should be able to either a) max a branch and dabble in the other two, or b) spread points out somewhat evenly between the three for hybrid builds (and be able to actually get decently deep in the branch).
    • Character specialization seems to affect the skills/traits found on the left side of the screen, and it appears that as long as you're deep enough in the branch that they are chosen automatically at no cost to you. I think these are the equivalent of set bonuses in the new system. (Equip enough blue traits and your trait on the left is unlocked.) If you count all the points spent, you'll notice nothing on the left bar counts against your spending points.
    • It appears that we'll be able to get 5 builds total at the start: 2 that come for free and 3 which are purchased. (They've confirmed the 2 free, I'm not getting that part from the image.)
    • From the tabs on the left, I would take a guess that the other two tabs are Racial and Virtue trees of some sort. No idea if this means they're revamping them as well, but I certainly hope at least Racials are being revamped.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Not sure why you created another thread. Anyways, I disagree with pretty much all your assumptions (point 3 is okay because it is not an assumption).

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    If what they said about points is accurate, we should have 71 points to play with at cap. (One point every two levels, plus one point for every class deed.) From what I can tell from the tree, without being able to see the numbers of the last couple of tiers, we should be able to either a) max a branch and dabble in the other two, or b) spread points out somewhat evenly between the three for hybrid builds (and be able to actually get decently deep in the branch).
    Only 71? If unlocking the legendary traits does not grant additional points, then how do you think players are rewarded for completing the legendary quests in the revamp?

Character specialization seems to affect the skills/traits found on the left side of the screen, and it appears that as long as you're deep enough in the branch that they are chosen automatically at no cost to you. I think these are the equivalent of set bonuses in the new system. (Equip enough blue traits and your trait on the left is unlocked.) If you count all the points spent, you'll notice nothing on the left bar counts against your spending points.
    I think that those are actually the equivalent of the current class slots and set bonuses, so it is incorrect to say that you get them as long as you're deep enough in the branch. They must first be unlocked (Free for any character that was ever on an account while VIP was active. Otherwise, the slots need to be purchased with TP.)
    Source Info:
    Q5: banjolier: For players who spent TP to unlock trait slots, how will you convert our existing purchases to the new system? #LOTRO
    A5: HoarseDev: Your specialization choice gives you access to bonuses as you spend points. #LOTRO
    A5a: These are unlocked in the same way as the old slots and those purchases carry over to the new system. #LOTRO

It appears that we'll be able to get 5 builds total at the start: 2 that come for free and 3 which are purchased. (They've confirmed the 2 free, I'm not getting that part from the image.)
    From the tabs on the left, I would take a guess that the other two tabs are Racial and Virtue trees of some sort. No idea if this means they're revamping them as well, but I certainly hope at least Racials are being revamped.
    In the Helm's Deep Twitter Transcript, HoarseDeve states that Virtues are not being revamped, just changed slightly ("Virtues will remain mostly the same. Traits are now completely rolled into the new system."). I expect the virtue changes will only extend to increasing the cap and making the UI look different.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Tilting_at_Turbines View Post
    Not sure why you created another thread.
    I saw the other thread as a more general discussion of all the Massively information. I wanted to open a discussion for just the trait trees.

Only 71? If unlocking the legendary traits does not grant additional points, then how do you think players are rewarded for completing the legendary quests in the revamp?
    Lemme amend that slightly. At least 71 is what I should have said, since the devs already confirmed those aren't the only ways to get points. Regardless, even with 71 you can see there's enough to delve into more than your primary trait line, which a lot of people were worried about.

I think that those are actually the equivalent of the current class slots and set bonuses, so it is incorrect to say that you get them as long as you're deep enough in the branch. They must first be unlocked (Free for any character that was ever on an account while VIP was active. Otherwise, the slots need to be purchased with TP.)
    I was assuming the slots were unlocked when I stated that. Was referring only to requirements to use them once unlocked, not the initial potential TP cost.

In the Helm's Deep Twitter Transcript, HoarseDeve states that Virtues are not being revamped, just changed slightly ("Virtues will remain mostly the same. Traits are now completely rolled into the new system."). I expect the virtue changes will only extend to increasing the cap and making the UI look different.
    I thought I had remembered something like that but couldn't find it again in the quick glance I gave the transcript. I wasn't honestly expecting virtues to be greatly revamped (not with them selling in the Store as they are) but I'm still hopeful for Racials. (Still not really expecting it, but it'd be nice.)

Since they're moving virtues to the new UI element, do you think we'll also have builds for virtues, either to go with our class trait builds or completely separate?
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]