We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Beta testing is fun, but it seems to be losing it place in the gaming world. I would much rather have it done by people who are "professional" gamers, than the masses like so many others do. I see too many "Open Betas" that are basically the full game and very little or nothing constructive gets changed, fixed or adjusted when the game officially goes live. I personally do like the way Turbine and a few other unnamed companies test their products. You get a better, complete game that a higher number of people will enjoy playing.

Side note: With how hard it is to get banned in this game, does anyone think they should be considered?

Side note 2: What sucks with playing through Alpha and Beta stages is that you know the game too well. The law of diminishing marginal utility takes hold fast for many after the game content goes live.

Quote Originally Posted by Peresbert View Post

Side note 2: What sucks with playing through Alpha and Beta stages is that you know the game too well. The law of diminishing marginal utility takes hold fast for many after the game content goes live.
    I thought that too for betas (of various games) and it is true, but when the game goes live I usually go through content with friends (who don't bother with beta), so it is a bit of a different "feel" for the content. I also notice sometimes changes where I went "oh, we have to approach this a bit differently than I was expecting" and then figure something better or faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    In fact, this is exactly what happens...

• A list a names is generated based on criteria set for that specific round of testing (usually set by the Dev team, Community Team, and Marketing).
    • That list is sent to Customer Service and the GM's vet the list and make sure there isn't anyone who is or has been banned, or who has a history of actions taken against their account, on it.
    • That vetted list is then sent to the Community Team and we go back through and vet that we have no players with long 'histories' on it as well.
    • The final list is sent back to the group responsible for sending out the final emails and they send out invitations.
    I believe it is the mysterious criteria in the first bullet that has people wondering, but it is probably left mysterious because it constantly changes.

The first thing potential beta testers gotta realize, is that Turbine is going to focus on what they actually need to test. So if they play exclusively PvMP, they may not be as likely to be invited if there are no PvMP changes or perceived balance issues with Freep class updates. Since testing needs change frequently, trying to fit the perfect beta invitee profile is a moving target. You're best off just playing how you normally would and, if you get invited into beta, great!

I tend to be more helpful in betas (and enjoy them more) when the game company's testing goal matches my playstyle. So from that perspective, you really don't want to try to game the system either. Otherwise, your first experience with the new game will be a bit of a drag as you focus on doing everything you're "supposed" to do to test, rather than just playing as you normally might, filing bugs on your way.
    Deus

Im curious as to how being banned will affect your beta chances. Obviously its going to hurt them but does being banned for any reason completely disqualify you from being a beta tester? I've played the game for nearly 6 years and always tried to be pretty active in the end game community on my server but to my knowledge I have never once gotten a beta invite.

I've been banned twice in the 6 years or so I've played the game. Both times they were for something said in GLFF. Both times I thought that what I said was pretty tame and that it was pretty heavy handed to issue a ban for (theres a profanity filter for a reason, but thats another story for another thread). There was a time on my server when certain members of the pvp community would take every opportunity to report people for every little thing that was even remotely confrontational said in GLFF, several of us came away with a 24 hour ban or two. Most of the time feeling that they were somewhat undeserved.

Is that the reason I have never gotten a beta invite? Or am I just unlucky? I'd feel pretty hard done by if it was the former.
    Belegarod - Guard \ Belegarond-1 - Captain / Belegorond - Champion \ Maveryck - Runekeeper / Glaxe-1 - Burg \ Atwo-1 - LM / Jaspir - Warden \ Gladden

I, myself, have been involved in numerous beta programs and it saddens me a lot of the time to see the people who are more there for a preview of what's to come, than to try to help get all the bugs out. I'm sure there are people who get an invite, play the beta, and file exactly 0 bug reports. And I'm sure those people have a much smaller chance of getting invited to the next one.
    Lethareth, the Celebratory

Quote Originally Posted by usernamealreadyinuse View Post
    Im curious as to how being banned will affect your beta chances. Obviously its going to hurt them but does being banned for any reason completely disqualify you from being a beta tester? I've played the game for nearly 6 years and always tried to be pretty active in the end game community on my server but to my knowledge I have never once gotten a beta invite.
    See Sapience's post just 5 posts before yours.

(theres a profanity filter for a reason, but thats another story for another thread).
    which alredy exists.
    Wer Hilfe will, muss Informationen liefern.
    >> Lotro World transfer status <<

• A list a names is generated based on criteria set for that specific round of testing (usually set by the Dev team, Community Team, and Marketing).
    I would like to know some of these criteria. When you want to specify on testing quest lines, the dev Team etc. generates a list of Players who completed the most quest on their account? I cannot imagine this System. Could you give an example?
    Second Marshall Maywyn Eorthas of Rohan - Captain - Rank 13

Tyrant Gate Wargkönig, Son of Krithmog - Stalker - Rank 15

Beta testing is fun, but it seems to be losing it place in the gaming world. I would much rather have it done by people who are "professional" gamers, than the masses like so many others do.
    However....

I suspect that one of the things the devs want to know is how fairly *in*experienced players are going to react to the content. This may
    be especially true for Helm's Deep, considering that there is going to be the option of taking a jumped-up level-10 character to the Hornburg.
    Will s/he have a decent idea what to do?

Side note 2: What sucks with playing through Alpha and Beta stages is that you know the game too well.
    Well, everybody to his own taste, said the old lady as she kissed her cow. I like getting an early look at the new content ...
    and then a full-blown look at launch ... and then subsequent looks as I level up new characters. But I'm the kind of person
    who reads her favorite books over and over again. Others' mileage may vary.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Amrundir View Post
    See Sapience's post just 5 posts before yours.

which alredy exists.

He says that they check if you're banned, not what they do when they see you are.
    Belegarod - Guard \ Belegarond-1 - Captain / Belegorond - Champion \ Maveryck - Runekeeper / Glaxe-1 - Burg \ Atwo-1 - LM / Jaspir - Warden \ Gladden

Quote Originally Posted by Lethareth View Post
    I, myself, have been involved in numerous beta programs and it saddens me a lot of the time to see the people who are more there for a preview of what's to come, than to try to help get all the bugs out. I'm sure there are people who get an invite, play the beta, and file exactly 0 bug reports. And I'm sure those people have a much smaller chance of getting invited to the next one.
    It's OK. It all balances out. There are some who file lots of bug reports and test things all over the place and then when live comes they realize their bugs they reported go unfixed. /I'mNotMad,Really

But really, part of the beta is just getting numbers of people into the game for stress testing and general population health. They can't really expect everyone they invite to know how to file bugs or have the actual patience to sit through all the delays/bugs/questions when actually trying to submit a report.
    Chromite (Hunter) - Grumbletocks (Guardian) on Landroval, Appendage (Hunter) on Brandywine

I actually enjoy filling out bug reports. LOL

Don't give up on getting an invitation. I have had a few over the years mainly down stream, as the song goes "..whatever will be, will be.."
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000098b0/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

not having been banned in game, in the forums, or otherwise violated the TOS, EULA, Or community guidelines all also help.
    What about misban? I've been banned twice but they are all mistake (1 for someone misclick my name while reporting gold seller, and 1 because Turbine worry that my acc had been hacked) and the bans was lifted after I sent a ticket.

NBA? what?! a No Bacon Agreement?! that does it... i'm writing congress right n... oh nDa... nevermind. /carryon, /nothingtoseehere...
    Forgotten_Legend, The Baconnaire
    Malinon - 75 Champion | JAZRAIEL - 100 HUNTER | Taeran - 75 RuneKeeper

I'm still wondering if the mac bullroarer client ever got released, i am assumeing no. If I did I would definitely be interested to see what kind of changes they made to it, if any.
    Windfola:
    Bretela LVL 100 Warden Gwaithol LVL 100 Hunter Brilliance LVL 86+ LM
    Mac User, Raider

So basically anyone who is an altaholic would make a better beta tester? Count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    It's OK. It all balances out. There are some who file lots of bug reports and test things all over the place and then when live comes they realize their bugs they reported go unfixed. /I'mNotMad,Really
    Yeah, but when the bugs you report (be it on live or on Bullroarer) do get fixed, it's one of the most awesome feelings ever, because you don't know if you yourself were the person who filed that 1 bug report that made the difference in them identifying and eliminating the bug. I like to think that I am, every time I see a bug I reported get fixed, even though in reality, I'm probably not the only person who reported the bug. I do try to make my bug reports memorable, by making whoever reads them laugh, so maybe that will help them remember the bug, lol.

Thank you

Sapience,

Your voice was the one I was looking for. Thank you for answering my question. I absolutely love this game. I have read Tolkien's stories about 20 times in my 40 years of reading his books. I am grateful that the game is based on the books and not the movies, although I love Peter Jackson's works, too. The game has made the world of Middle Earth more real to me and when I re-read the stories I now see the world through the eyes of Turbine's labor. Thank you again.

IF there is ANY criteria, it's totally nonsense. I am VIP for almost 3 years now, have played all this time, posted on forums, and didn't get an invite, while people who used to play with me and don't even play anymore and were never VIP are getting it lol
    VILYA: Capitao-1 r12 Captain | Dwalfin r6 Minstrel | Wuulff r8 Warg | Kruusher r11 Reaver | Creepitao r7 WL

Just sitting here like a good little elf, biding my time. I was invited to RoR pretty early last time, but ended up having a lot of trouble with the client so, now with a new computer, new connection, and new ISP, I'd love to give it another go and be helpful.

The Order of The Silver Flame - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!

Quote Originally Posted by bohbashum View Post
    it's purely random I think.

although players who have played more generally get in more too. if you a nice forum user, seem to get some love too at times.
    Definitely random, it seems. I've been playing since April of 2007, leader of a kinship, a polite and helpful little monkey in the forums and done all I could do without being a pest and have never been invited to a beta, but I've had kinmates and friends, both old and new get tapped for testing. I'm not complaining at all, I'm just attempting to illustrate that there does seem to be a very fair, random factor to getting chosen for beta. (Not to say I'm not crossing my fingers for this round. lol)
    Logically, it seems like a very good idea to get testers from all backgrounds and experience levels to ensure that all aspects of the update are tested and in proper working order.

*Edit

Hooray for tabbed browsing! Wrong tab, wrong thread!
    Last edited by Widoch; Sep 05 2013 at 11:41 PM.

The Order of The Silver Flame - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!

Quote Originally Posted by atmonello View Post
    IF there is ANY criteria, it's totally nonsense. I am VIP for almost 3 years now, have played all this time, posted on forums, and didn't get an invite, while people who used to play with me and don't even play anymore and were never VIP are getting it lol
    Well, I would think that just because you meet their criteria, doesn't mean you'd get an invite in the first wave, or at all.

If I had to guess, I'd say they're looking for active players, with level-capped toons that are caught-up on the Epic Quest line. Just a guess tho.

I'm hoping my invite just got lost in the mail. (Fingers crossed)

is random.
    I play Lotro since ages. I have lot of alts. My forum activity was intense. I got warnings . I am VIP. I am online EVERY DAY for at least 4 h. I am officer in an nice friendly kin. Indeed not very friendly on forums lately, keeping blaming Turbine for wrong direction of Lotro. But never every i had an invite in beta. I wanted everytime to see how is in beta but i am afraid i never had luck. What can i do? I just checked my mail again. Nothing. Was my last chance. Some ppl just seem to have all the time acces in beta. Me, never.
    At least ... i will not think at HD and continue my other stuff around. Take this into consideration, more free time for something else
    Last edited by andracy; Sep 05 2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added
    Andracy - Mns; Andrady - RK; Andrac - Hnt; Andracya - Brg; Gabytza - LM; Anduta - Warden
    Officer of Rangers of Eriador / Snowbourne

Just my opinion, and I could be completely wrong, but I think maybe filing bugs on live might help your chances. It's what I figured when I got an invite to RoR beta. If I come across any bugs on live, I make sure to /bug them. Hoping to get my Helm's Deep beta invite soon. Maybe it got lost in the mail?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast