We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Warden Tanking Rotation

Dont have much experience at end game tanking, ive got an 85 LM and an 85 RK so hows this -
    Battle Prep - Shield Mastery, Dance of War, Conviction, EoB
    Use EoB, War Cry, Goad, EoB, Fierce Resolve, EoB, Then Perseverance line (sh-sp), Goad, if i need power (Dark before the Dawn) or morale (resolution) and then use again, if not EoB, fierce resolve, EoB, shield mastery, then Impressive flourish line (sh-fi). After that its whatever the situation calls for, if in 6/12 mans prob aggression or something

Quote Originally Posted by nikoftime View Post
    Dont have much experience at end game tanking, ive got an 85 LM and an 85 RK so hows this -
    Battle Prep - Shield Mastery, Dance of War, Conviction, EoB
    Use EoB, War Cry, Goad, EoB, Fierce Resolve, EoB, Then Perseverance line (sh-sp), Goad, if i need power (Dark before the Dawn) or morale (resolution) and then use again, if not EoB, fierce resolve, EoB, shield mastery, then Impressive flourish line (sh-fi). After that its whatever the situation calls for, if in 6/12 mans prob aggression or something
    Battle prep portion is pretty standard, consider adding War-cry to the prep rotation if its a pull with actually challenging mobs, for the evade and HoT.

EoB is fine to lead off with, the threat on war-cry is pretty bad, and if you battle prep it, you already have the buff. fierce resolve is a basically useless skill for tanking unless this is a 10 mob pull, don't bother with it. The whole perseverance line takes a while to build and masteries are a premium currency, first time around I'd do just safeguard and celebration of skill for max block buffs. Theres no reason you should need DbtD after a handful of gambits. This looks like you're after a multimob rotation and if you've traited keen response, power shouldn't be much of an issue in multi-mob tanking. Dance of War and Conviction should not be underestimated for their bonuses and threat transfers. A sure sign of a good warden tank is one who keeps conviction up for the entire duration of fights, or very close to it. Similarly, if you enter a pull with the DoW buff up, you should be using it again long before the buff wears off, there is never a need to use any gambit in the impressive flourish line besides dance of war and conviction, they aren't remotely worth it for tanking (and in impressive flourishes case, not worth it for anything).

Beyond that advice, the final thing I'll add is make good use of your masteries. This rotation doesn't look like its given much thought to how those play into a good rotation, you've set it up based on skill effects. Working specific gambit lines (like the perseverance line) extensively, and all in a row means you will have both masteries that help with this line on cooldown early, making you build some of the gambits entirely through base builders, and also meaning other mastieries will be off cooldown and un-used for extended periods of time. Leaving all specifics out, a rotation that does one gambit from the sh-sp line, then one from sp-fi, then a fi-sp, the fi-sh will help you make use of more masteries, more often, which will mean more total gambits in the same amount of time.

Other than static pull, pure tank and spank tanking, a fixed rotation isn't the best way to go. Fixed rotations can leave you unable to respond to changing conditions. As you gain experience as a warden, work on recognizing your buffs on your portrait, or better, keeping a mental (or buff bars, i suppose) note of how long till you need to refresh hots, or buffs, or threat is the way to go. Practice makes perfect.

Almost forgot, don't forget your Fi-sh line. I don't see it being used other than an early war-cry, and unless you're already fully geared out, you probably aren't capping evade with just shield mastery and DoW. Capped evade is your most important b/p/e stat use this line as much as you need it to maintain as high an evade as you can.
    [center][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2wrm5ja_th.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

wow thats amazing, I'll really keep this is mind - I'll just look out for what mastries and use them according to what Ive used recently - also, what would be a good rotation for single target, say, bfe; whenever I've had to do single so far I've always got away with spamming things like spear of virtue, aggression, fi-sp-fi-sp but forgotten the name - my wards only lvl 79

Quote Originally Posted by nikoftime View Post
    also, what would be a good rotation for single target, say, bfe
    I'm not a big fan of tanking rotations, since I find I get the best results if I adjust my gambit usage to the situation at hand (the specific encounter as well as the fellowship/raid I'm with), but single target tanking really isn't that much different than tanking a group. Exultation of Battle, especially with the fist-spear-threat attribute, still is the best way to get a decent head-start once you have singled out your target, then settle into a routine of keeping your buffs and heals up while adding just enough up-front threat (again, EoB beats all other gambits if you've isolated your target) and/or threat leaches (depending on raid composition ... if I know the strong damage dealers are in the other group, aggression won't do much good) to stay comfortably in the lead. In BfE, I usually have enough time to keep all of my defences, a few tiers of self-heals and conviction up. I don't normally use aggression in that fight, since I can use my fi-sh mastery much better for DoW, SoD and Conviction and get enough threat leech out of those gambits anyway. If I find myself with a bit of spare time, I prefer to add an occasional EoB, but after the start of the fight that is hardly necessary any more.

I'm not sure why most wardens don't use it, But I rarely see people say they start off with Call to Battle. Every situation I head into (unless it requires me to only tank one target) I always start with Call to Battle. This is because it's your largest instant group aggro skill. Also, if you put your Javalin skills max range on your Melee LI it increases Call to Battle's range to 40m. Which is very helpfull in Skirms, Flight, Smaug, ect, so you aren't running around to try and grab things. After CtB I use EoB to get the AoT (aggro over time) then I refresh my DoW buff, hit a aggression, then I start buffing. If you're tanking a boss (lets say a Troll in BFE) You'll want to keep your buffs up the entire time. Now, I usually try to do a aggression before i start bufffing, then try to do DoW in the middle and SoD at the end. I do this because those three skills are your aggro/buff skills (except aggression, that's to get aggro off people before you start buffing). That way you know you're going to have aggro while you're buffing. Needless to say, if you're tanking 5+ things, there is no need to buff any farther than DoW and Sheild mastery. Of course there are exceptions, like Fornost. You'll want to buff as much as you can since all the mobs hit super hard in there if you get alot of them on you.

There is no one way to tank as a Warden, As it's a exremely complexe class(well at least till the next expansion). Find what you like and stick to it if it works for you. Although it doesn't hurt to meld things into your rotation. Hope I helped!
    [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img208/9160/iiw0.jpg[/IMG]

I don't really use rotations per se its more like focuses. Usually I start with the normal battle prep then call to battle followed by EOB's till I feel I have a good threat lead. I then focus on getting my defensives buffs up. After that I build my heals for each tier highest to lowest. Then I toss an aggro gambit and repeat the buffs followed by the heals. I usually use pots for power restore when tanking as that is usually enough for me. I always though leave my self the flexibility to alter focus as the situation changes because it often does. I use call to battle instead of eob as it has better range and aggro's around the target and not around me.
    Welleg - brandywine, Kelleg/Gelleg - Landroval
    WARNING: leveling a warden may cause you to neglect your other characters.