We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Brandywine still has a lot of low lvl people running around. oh and look for the "chicken runs"

Last edited by morrowbreeze; Sep 02 2013 at 12:19 PM.
    [URL="http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Nibli/media/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/Nibli/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Landroval Server
    Officer of The Lonely Mountain Band
    Whilst cooking for Elevensies, Tinki floors 2 Orcs with her frying pan and fresh caught fish. The frying pan critted for 18 hp and the fish was extra tender afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoryOfQuanta View Post
    Thanks everyone, those screenshots look amazing. Question. . I don't have a problem paying if the game is good, but what exactly do I need to buy around level 30? Like do I pay monthly, buy expansions? Any advice is appreciated. As for endgame ( I've never been a pvp type person ). Just the general feel of continuing playing after reaching level cap I suppose.
    First, don't pay until you've tried the FTP (Free-to-Play) stuff first - no reason not to, plenty of free content until Level 20-30.

Now, here's how it works...

As you play, you complete quests for experience and levels (atm up to Lvl 85), but you can also complete "Deeds" (by finding/visitng X number of places, or killing Y number of a certain type of monster, etc etc). Deeds give you 3 things - Titles (which are purely cosmetic - "Look, I'm now Bob, Executioner of the Wicked"!), Traits (which are slotted, and bump your stats slightly), and - most important to this discussion - Turbine Points, or TP. TP let you buy game content, to either improve a character or your account (which can effect all your characters). You usually get 5-15 TP to complete a Deed, but they're all over so they add up fast.*

(* And, if you're so inclined, you can "TP Farm", running an alt just to collect TP, then delete it and do it again. Easily gain several 100's in a dedicated day of TP farming.)

When you start, there are 4 free Regions to adventure in - the three starter areas of The Shire, Ered Luin (homeland of dwarves and elves), and Bree Land/Bree Town (home to men), and then The Lone Lands (starting about level 20-30 or so). Anyone (of any race) can travel anywhere - to these four or any others - but you can't quest in other regions unless/until you have access to them. And there are 2 ways to get access - be VIP (which gives full access to all) or spend TP to buy them, one at a time.

There are other things that TP points can buy, and that VIP gives you access to - the Auction House, more bags for carrying loot, additional character slots, free access to the Riding Skill at Level 20, and so on. Other things must be bought with TP - cosmetics (fancy outfits, etc) and so on. But one things VIP does is give you 500 TP/month, to spend as you wish. (Premium, by spending "any" real money on the game, is somewhere between VIP and F2P.)

So... try a couple different characters (FTP gets you 2 slots per server), and maybe try a couple/few different servers to "get a feel" for the personality of that server - each is a little diff sometimes, depending on when you play and what you're interested in. Hang out in Bree town, esp at the Prancing Pony, that's where a lot of "socializing" happens. While you're Free-to-Play, you'll learn more about the game, and THEN you can make an informed choice about VIP or Premium, etc etc. based on your priorities.

Turbine bets you'll like it enough to do so. They've usually been right so far.

Alright quick nooby question. I've started playing and I'm at level 5 (loving the game so far on ultra settings). I made my character and started playing, but didn't see a spot to choose my server, where exactly was that option on the character creation screen? Also how much is VIP?

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Alright quick nooby question. I've started playing and I'm at level 5 (loving the game so far on ultra settings). I made my character and started playing, but didn't see a spot to choose my server, where exactly was that option on the character creation screen? Also how much is VIP?
    You chose your server from the launcher after inputting your username and password before the actual game ever launches. If you're at the character creator, you've already passed the server selector.

Edit: And there are different prices for VIP

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/vip
    Last edited by LethalLethality; Sep 02 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Welcome to the game!

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    You chose your server from the launcher after inputting your username and password before the actual game ever launches...
    Actually, the server was chosen for you. New players are "funneled" by default to whatever is deemed a "less" populated server when you signed up - you could have chosen a diff one, but didn't know to. Now that you've entered the game, you'd have to start a new character on a new server.

Not that that's a big deal, lots of people do it. (Your "old" character can still be of value to you - so a search for "Turbine Points Farming" or "Turbine Points Grinding").

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Hound View Post
    Welcome to the game!

Actually, the server was chosen for you. New players are "funneled" by default to whatever is deemed a "less" populated server when you signed up - you could have chosen a diff one, but didn't know to. Now that you've entered the game, you'd have to start a new character on a new server.

Not that that's a big deal, lots of people do it. (Your "old" character can still be of value to you - so a search for "Turbine Points Farming" or "Turbine Points Grinding").

It was actually meant to be present tense. "You choose your character..."
    :P

One little letter - the pesky details. Oh, shot.

As far as how to buy "the rest of the game" (past level 30 or so), I have found this link, and updated thread invaluable. Some notes: there were a few minor issues with the first post, so you might have to read most of the responses. I think the update is a bit better, but I don't plan on buying the traveler pack anytime soon, and still think the Sam horse pack is a silly buy (just get the month of VIP. You want that way earlier than getting guildmaster makes sense, and it is only 50% more for way more perks). In any event, you have plenty of time to visit Middle Earth (and level a few characters to ~30) before figuring out the boring parts of premium, Turbine points, and VIP.
    Last edited by yawumpus; Sep 03 2013 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yawumpus View Post
    As far as how to buy "the rest of the game" (past level 30 or so), I have found this link, and updated thread invaluable. Some notes: there were a few minor issues with the first post, so you might have to read most of the responses. I think the update is a bit better, but I don't plan on buying the traveler pack anytime soon, and still think the Sam horse pack is a silly buy (just get the month of VIP. You want that way earlier than getting guildmaster makes sense, and it is only 50% more for way more perks). In any event, you have plenty of time to visit Middle Earth (and level a few characters to ~30) before figuring out the boring parts of premium, Turbine points, and VIP.
    Still a little out of date, since the Triple Pack is now the Quad Pack, which includes all four expansions. (I have no idea what the price is.)

Yes I'm US, East Coast.

Well in regards to wether or not my computer can support playing on "higher graphics", I'm not sure if any of you have experience playing on an iMac, but I literally just bought a brand new one about a week ago. So far I love it, I mainly bought it since I'm currently going to school for game design. It's not the "top of the line iMac", but in my opinion, I think it'll do just fine.

Specs:

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.3
    I play on a 2008 iMac, and I have played with the video on medium-high (the settings are in ctrl-o, graphics, there is a box there for the graphics quality), but for the most part, I play on medium low, as I am running it as a backup server as well.

Here are some tips:
    ctrl-\ (toggle) to adjust where things appear on your screen
    ctrl-f to show the framerate (I like it at 40+) the best way to check this out is to set your graphics quality, and run through Bree.
    ctrl-o (options), UI settings, "show connection status" will put a chain icon on your screen. If things don't appear to update, and your frame rate is OK, this may be the culprit. You can hover over it to see how many dropped packets are occurring.
    Oh yeah, do the keyboard thing in the link below:
    If you have any other Mac questions, check this place out http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002f60ff/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Still a little out of date, since the Triple Pack is now the Quad Pack, which includes all four expansions. (I have no idea what the price is.)
    $40. I'm thinking of getting this for my son.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002f60ff/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I may catch flack for this, but here are some other suggestions for new players:

Ask questions in the advice channel:
    In the chat box on the lower left, hit enter, then /advice (enter your question)
    Advice channels are local to the area that you are in.

or, on US servers, type /joinchannel glff (global looking for fellowship channel)
    To type in this channel, /1 (your question)
    GLFF is server wide, so you'll get chat from anyone that is subscribed to that channel.

Be prepared, as glff is 97% nice people that were new once, and 3% that never learned manners.
    Those 3% are the most vocal.

Another reason I put that here is that you can get the flavor of a server by watching that channel for a while. I've been on 8 different servers, and watching glff is a good indicator of the type of people that you'll meet there.

[QUOTE=C-Hound;6897547]

When you start, there are 4 free Regions to adventure in - the three starter areas of The Shire, Ered Luin (homeland of dwarves and elves), and Bree Land/Bree Town (home to men), and then The Lone Lands (starting about level 20-30 or so). Anyone (of any race) can travel anywhere - to these four or any others - but you can't quest in other regions unless/until you have access to them. And there are 2 ways to get access - be VIP (which gives full access to all) or spend TP to buy them, one at a time.

/QUOTE]

OK so my wife signed up as an elf and i was about to sign up as a man.....if i understand this we will not be able to quest until one of us gets access to the other's region? How many TP's does it take to pick other regions?

thanks,
    tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim_crosby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Hound View Post

OK so my wife signed up as an elf and i was about to sign up as a man.....if i understand this we will not be able to quest until one of us gets access to the other's region? How many TP's does it take to pick other regions?

thanks,
    tim
    You'll both be starting in free zones, so as soon as you finish the introduction (which usually lasts until level 4 or 5, it's really quick) one of you can leave your starter area via swift travel to the other area. Either you as the race of Man would travel to Celondim, or she would meet you in Archet. (I like the Archet quest line better, but I think it's slightly faster to get to Celondim.)

welcome, I am new too...though it has only taken me 3 hours to download the game lol

Quote Originally Posted by kris2000 View Post
    welcome, I am new too...though it has only taken me 3 hours to download the game lol
    Welcome to Middle Earth!

[URL="http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Nibli/media/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/Nibli/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Landroval Server
    Officer of The Lonely Mountain Band
    Whilst cooking for Elevensies, Tinki floors 2 Orcs with her frying pan and fresh caught fish. The frying pan critted for 18 hp and the fish was extra tender afterwards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2