We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Infamous Orcs?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    240

    Infamous Orcs?

    I know that there were a lot of infamous orcs, such as Gothmog who served under the command of the Nine, and was the lieutenant in charge of the siege of Minas Tirith, who was later killed by Aragorn and Gimli. Who are other infamous orcs that are somewhat well known in the LotR Tolkien world?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Aideani View Post
    I know that there were a lot of infamous orcs, such as Gothmog who served under the command of the Nine, and was the lieutenant in charge of the siege of Minas Tirith, who was later killed by Aragorn and Gimli. Who are other infamous orcs that are somewhat well known in the LotR Tolkien world?
    Well, there's Boldog, who led an attack on Doriath but was killed by Mablung, and there were quite a few in the fall of Gondolin- Lug, Balcmeg, Orcobal, to name but a few. Azog, who slew Thrór. Bolg, Azog's son. We do not, however, know whether Gothmog was an orc or something else. He may even have been one of the Nazgûl.
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    Well, there's Boldog, who led an attack on Doriath but was killed by Mablung, and there were quite a few in the fall of Gondolin- Lug, Balcmeg, Orcobal, to name but a few. Azog, who slew Thrór. Bolg, Azog's son. We do not, however, know whether Gothmog was an orc or something else. He may even have been one of the Nazgûl.
    Curiously Gothmog shares the name with a lord of Balrogs who was the lieutenant to Morgoth, so perhaps this new Gothmog was a maia too.

    Orcs I recall are Uglúk and Grishnákh who captured Merry & Pippin.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere on the world
    Posts
    88
    Indeed, those are named orcs, but not particularly infamous for their evilness or accomplishment as warriors are they? There are other named orcs, such as Mauhur, Radbug, Shagrat, Gorbag and Ufthák, but these are not particularly notorious for their ways.
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

  5. #5
    Azog, Bolg, and Mazog are infamous orcs.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000027615c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by bamatram View Post
    Azog, Bolg, and Mazog are infamous orcs.
    Mazog is a Turbine creation, not Tolkien's.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    Mazog is a Turbine creation, not Tolkien's.
    Mazog is still an orc, we aren't just counting the orcs from the books since Gothmog wasn't mentioned in Return of the King and was a Jackson creation.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000027615c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In-game
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by bamatram View Post
    Mazog is still an orc, we aren't just counting the orcs from the books since Gothmog wasn't mentioned in Return of the King and was a Jackson creation.
    no, he was mentioned once.

    "He is mentioned only once in The Lord of the Rings, at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, following the loss of his master: in response to the arrival of the Rohirrim, he called his army's reserve out of Osgiliath and into the main battle, and brought in Easterlings, Southrons, Variags, and troll-men "into the fray". That aside, the details of Gothmog's nature and role are a matter of speculation"

    http://www.tolkiengateway.net/wiki/G...ant_of_Morgul)
    http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Gothmog_(...ant_of_Morgul)
    Do you come from a land down under? Where women glow and men plunder? Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover - Men at Work.
    You're welcome. Now it will fester in your head :p

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by bamatram View Post
    Mazog is still an orc, we aren't just counting the orcs from the books since Gothmog wasn't mentioned in Return of the King and was a Jackson creation.
    Incorrect. Also, he wasn't specified as an orc.

    "He now was destroyed; but Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had flung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand."
    - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King Chapter 6: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    Incorrect. Also, he wasn't specified as an orc.

    "He now was destroyed; but Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had flung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand."
    - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King Chapter 6: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
    I forgot about that line, still none the less The op mentions Gothmog as an infamous orc. He is also widely believed to be an orc.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000027615c/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by bamatram View Post
    I forgot about that line, still none the less The op mentions Gothmog as an infamous orc. He is also widely believed to be an orc.
    I know, just pointing out he isn't PJ's creation nor is he certain to be an orc (could be a Nazgûl or Man).
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    I know, just pointing out he isn't PJ's creation nor is he certain to be an orc (could be a Nazgûl or Man).
    It seems highly unlikely, to me at least, that an orc would be the lieutenant of Minas Morgul, or that one would exhibit the intelligence and sense of humor the bastardized movie character displayed. It seems far more likely that he would be a Nazgul, or a man of Khand, or Harad, but who knows. I refuse to automatically accept Peter Jackson's word for it. Just because something happens in PJ's movies doesn't mean that's the way it is.
    Azog and Bolg are probably the only two orcs who can truly said to be "infamous", or "notorious."
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,152
    How bout Golfimbul? Would he count? He did help to invent the game of golf. Dunno if that adds to his infarmy or not...
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Sep 02 2013 at 12:15 PM.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

    Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    It seems highly unlikely, to me at least, that an orc would be the lieutenant of Minas Morgul, or that one would exhibit the intelligence and sense of humor the bastardized movie character displayed. It seems far more likely that he would be a Nazgul, or a man of Khand, or Harad, but who knows. I refuse to automatically accept Peter Jackson's word for it. Just because something happens in PJ's movies doesn't mean that's the way it is.
    Azog and Bolg are probably the only two orcs who can truly said to be "infamous", or "notorious."
    Agree - Robert Fosters Complete Guide to Middle Earth says Gothmog 'may be a Nazgul' and this makes more sense than an Orc Lieutenant of Minas Morgul. Even a big pink one with some funky scars and missing appendages
    If in danger from Red, Call Glod.....

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjdobs View Post
    Agree - Robert Fosters Complete Guide to Middle Earth says Gothmog 'may be a Nazgul' and this makes more sense than an Orc Lieutenant of Minas Morgul. Even a big pink one with some funky scars and missing appendages
    There are arguments that can be made for Gothmog being a nazgul, an orc, or a man. I tend to think that a man may be most likely, and there is a good post summarizing this position here:
    http://tolkien.slimy.com/newsgroups/Gothmog.txt
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload