We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Level 100 Crafting and above, a plea.

I know that this has been covered elsewhere, but as we have a new executive producer I thought it might be a good idea to post and try one more time.

I am not a forum poster, for the most part, but the lack of crafting past 95 has prompted me to break my usual silence and post this plead. There are committed crafters who have been loyal to crafting in the game for as long as they have been playing. They have gone through every iteration of the crafting professions, farmed for days for materials and bought supplies to get that perfect crit. on something they really wanted, crafted endlessly for kinmates, and levelled up guild reputation time and time again. The robust crafting system is why some people have stayed with this game when so many others called to them. I know it has brought me back more than once.

Don't give up on crafting, support it. I for one would rather spend my hours grinding out mats how and where I want to than spend even three play sessions doing the same thing over and over for armor that I can't craft myself. It makes me want to go to something else with my time, and I have. But I remember how much fun it was, what pride I took in making things for myself and others, and I come back, only to be disappointed. The lore itself takes pride in it's craftspersons, even those whose creations went awry. Please keep crafting on the forefront of your mind when making decisions about what to add to the game. It affects more people than I think is realized.

Tyriah of Landroval
    Da Chipster

"I'm a professional. I do things professionally."
    -Montana Moorehead (points if you can guess the movie)

I support your message. But be patient, many of us want more crafting love; however, it is likely not on the "top 5 list" for release patches. Maybe mid-summer?
    Recently I have re-visited lower zones to collect recipes and round out materials. Can be fun while waiting for recipes?

Cheers.

(Didn't want a request for crafting love to go away )

Unhappy

I support your plea and share your feelings as a player practicing all crafts with several characters, some with more than one.

Hearing the Exec. Producer say in the latest stream they didn't have any short term plans involving crafting has been a letdown.

Thank you.

I thank you both. I don't know what else I can do to further this cause, it's very frustrating.

If anyone has any ideas how to get crafting the attention it deserves, please post!

Tyriah of Landroval
    Da Chipster

"I'm a professional. I do things professionally."
    -Montana Moorehead (points if you can guess the movie)

I will sign this thread as well.

I am thinking that Turbine, since they aren't going to increase the level this year, wants to keep staggering the level 100 "things" over the course of the year, and that we are going to get level 100 crafting at some point.

I would surely look forward to crafted level 100 jewelry and clothing. And everything else.

I'm thinking update 16 is going to be heavily focused on the server transfers, so I am thinking maybe in the summer, hopefully sooner.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on Turbine's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I will join this voice as well. If it were not for the crafting, I would find other ways to spend my time. I have max guilded crafters in every profession except jeweler and he is on the way. That means I spend TP (Keep my VIP so that I have plenty) and stay engaged with the game. My wife and I are not raiders. We are role players and craftsmen and that is why we play this game above all others, have introduced several of our family members and encouraged quite a few to choose VIP.
    The Telrunye Clan: ElesarTelrunye - 100 Elf Champion; Telrunyo - 100 Elf Guardian; Telrunyi - 100 Elf Rune Keeper; Telrunye - 100 Elf Minstrel; Ellesandir - 100 Elf Warden; TankityHank - 100 Hobbit Guardian; Grimforge - 72 Dwarf Hunter; Telridor - 82 Human Captain; Papadir - 92 Hobbit Burglar; Telrik - 51 Human Lore Master

/Signed

Not played since Gondor was first released....decided to come back and the things I hear/see/read are just depressing. Do I keep all my stacks of crafting mats? No point selling them, Ah is empty, why would anyone in their right mind bother with the crafting grind in this game when there is nothing to craft at level cap? (please don't mention dumb essences/LI's).

Will guild crafting come back? Maybe I should just delete all my crafters and save myself a lot of aggro?

Sad to see where this game is heading....
    Likes to heal and thinks she is good at it. Unfortunately, can't heal stupid or bad builds...

This is one of the few games that didn't make gear a wedge issue. We can loot certain sets, Combat rep grind sets and craft sets. All on par with each other.

Suggestion: Crafting quests from the crafting guilds. Have lv. 100 guild recipes as rewards. Because there are anywhere from 4 for goldsmith to 6 for Armor, multiple for weapon, they need to be repeatable, daily or something and you can add other reward options including singles recipes and cosmetic crafting gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post
    I support your plea and share your feelings as a player practicing all crafts with several characters, some with more than one.

Hearing the Exec. Producer say in the latest stream they didn't have any short term plans involving crafting has been a letdown.
    For me and my family of crafters, this is more than just a letdown. This is a HUGE disincentive to staying with the game. (It's not like I don't know how the story ends, after all.) I had actually thought that there would be a plan to update the resources in all of Gondor to new ores/wood/hides/etc. along with a new crafting tier. About a year ago, the plan was to up the player level to 105 with the introduction of Gondor (until players complained it was to soon). How did they plan to implement that at the time if no crafting tier was also in the planning?

I don't understand why crafting has fallen by the wayside, early on crafting was one of the principal objectives for many players. Am I understanding this correctly - There are FA & SA symbols available for lvl 100 gear but no recipes to make them? Or are the recipes gated behind some quest(s) in Central Gondor? I have been gone from the game since last summer and missed a few things ...... I'm just now finishing Western Gondor.

If crafting is not updated, my time left with Lotro will be much shorter! I didn't max out guild crafters in virtually every area just to grind rep gear! If the developers have time to create new systems such as essence gear they have time to update crafting as we knew it! Must not be too many crafters on the PC I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilan View Post
    I don't understand why crafting has fallen by the wayside, early on crafting was one of the principal objectives for many players. Am I understanding this correctly - There are FA & SA symbols available for lvl 100 gear but no recipes to make them? Or are the recipes gated behind some quest(s) in Central Gondor? I have been gone from the game since last summer and missed a few things ...... I'm just now finishing Western Gondor.

If crafting is not updated, my time left with Lotro will be much shorter! I didn't max out guild crafters in virtually every area just to grind rep gear! If the developers have time to create new systems such as essence gear they have time to update crafting as we knew it! Must not be too many crafters on the PC I guess.
    There are GUILD recipes for lvl 100 LI weapons and class items. There aren't any lvl 100 recipes for anything else, nor have there been any new resources since Rohan.

Strong crafting supporter

I strongly support the ideas gathered here. I have maxed out every crafting guild reputation on many characters and I gather all I can as I level a plethora of different alts.

I enjoy being able to make materials on par as what you can get from quests or loot. It becomes a little challenging when recipes are obtained from reputation, but it is part of Turbine's "keep them online, needing something" strategy; if it is what it takes to keep crafting alive and well, i accept it. i think it is good to be able to customize items through essences, and i look forward to craft items using them.

I can't wait to craft my first level 100 items, but i am patient.

But please Turbine team, just postpone new big systems developments for a few months and give crafting the love it deserves.

-----------------------
    Westemnet Masters of the Guild on Elendilmir

Abeldas, Woodworker
    Anthrad, Scholar
    Dagwor, Taylor
    Flinrim, Jewelcrafter
    Ordanar, Weaponsmith
    Tidelidam, Cook
    Thranok, Metalsmith

... and a bunch of gatherers and inventory keepers

Quote Originally Posted by WindDancer13 View Post
    For me and my family of crafters, this is more than just a letdown. This is a HUGE disincentive to staying with the game. (It's not like I don't know how the story ends, after all.) I had actually thought that there would be a plan to update the resources in all of Gondor to new ores/wood/hides/etc. along with a new crafting tier. About a year ago, the plan was to up the player level to 105 with the introduction of Gondor (until players complained it was to soon). How did they plan to implement that at the time if no crafting tier was also in the planning?
    Same way they did level 100. Do the minimum work. Add the level 105 legendary item recipes. Done. No need for new food. Or new potions. Or new materials.

It has been close to 10 months since the level cap when to 100. The rest of the level 100 recipes are not here yet. I do not believe any new recipes have shown up on Bullroarer for the Update 16 preview. Crafting appears to be another finished and unsupported feature at this point.

There is always hope that there is some crafting love in Update 16 that has not shown up on Bullroarer. Otherwise, it it Update 17.

I believe the problem is that the Lotro team is having trouble finishing the left over 2014 work such as the legendary item system upgrade. Tuning Beornings. Crafting. Loot Tables. Instance balance. PvP update. Fixing defects in the game software that have been left in the 'not dealt with state.". Plus the team has to keep the story moving, add new landscape and other new content which generates more bugs.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I believe the problem is that the Lotro team is having trouble finishing the left over 2014 work such as the legendary item system upgrade. Tuning Beornings. Crafting. Loot Tables. Instance balance. PvP update. Fixing defects in the game software that have been left in the 'not dealt with state.". Plus the team has to keep the story moving, add new landscape and other new content which generates more bugs.
    Remember how long it took to just get different color texture maps to differentiate Westemnet from Eastemnet crafting mats? ...and that was comparatively a really simple task.

As a graphic designer I used to be slightly envious of Turbine employees working on Lotro. "How awesome a job is that, designing Middle Earth?" Now they just have my heartfelt sympathy and the gratitude that in these diminished times of Lotro they keep it interesting enough that I genuinely look forward to updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Anavalar View Post
    Remember how long it took to just get different color texture maps to differentiate Westemnet from Eastemnet crafting mats? ...and that was comparatively a really simple task.

As a graphic designer I used to be slightly envious of Turbine employees working on Lotro. "How awesome a job is that, designing Middle Earth?" Now they just have my heartfelt sympathy and the gratitude that in these diminished times of Lotro they keep it interesting enough that I genuinely look forward to updates.
    In the piecemeal way things have been getting done, not all tiers were similarly fixed as the Eastement/Westemnet colorization was.

I am also a graphics artist and used to love the attention to detail that was part of the charm of Lotro. While the overall graphics are still great, so much is being left undone or half done that it is beginning to feel like someone wants to pull the plug on the game. This is a shame considering that this is a game that could have real staying power. (LOL, I could see me 20 years from now plugging away on Alt #77.)

It has occurred to me that Turbine may have been given an ultimate timeline in which to reach the end of the game and it is rushing to meet that deadline. Therefore, many things are being pushed into the game only half baked. If you look at the richness of the first half of the game (I would say through Moria/Lothlorien) and compare it to what has come after, the later stuff really suffers in the comparison. There are fewer and fewer side quests or ways to reach the number required for the region deed until you come to Westement where every single quest must be done, not only for completion but for the much needed class point.

One would think that customer retention would be at least if not more important than reaching the ultimate end of the story. Rushing updates into the gaming world that are missing huge components such as crafting tiers and side quests will not help with customer satisfaction or retention.

Quote Originally Posted by WindDancer13 View Post
    [...] Turbine may have been given an ultimate timeline in which to reach the end of the game and it is rushing to meet that deadline. [...]
    You may not be completely wrong.

About 2 years ago the Tolkien Estate took legal action against Middle-earth Enterprises (MeE) over the intent and verbiage of the nearly perpetual license signed by JRRT. As I recall, specifically, the license is for "real" products (legally this means items that physically exist, in the real world, not just a digital product (ie, programming & data) - like LotRO) and this calls into question whether MeE overstepped their legal authority. If a judge were to find MeE has done so, it might provide the Tolkien Estate (TE) the leverage they need to finally have that license terminated, reverting all merchandising rights back to TE.

If that were to happen, Christopher Tolkien, in control of the TE, would terminate any and all products as quickly as legally possible - he considers all past and current products to be terribly crude, inappropriate and rapacious of his father's literary work(s). He would consign all the merchandise into the fires of Mount Doom at the earliest opportunity.

So Turbine might, in a way, be rushing to move the story along and complete things. Turbine's licensing renewal with MeE in 2017 provides a logical point at which to discontinue the relationship, provided it is a sound financial decision. If Turbine is making a substantial profit (I heard $113m USD last year, unsure if that is total incoming or profit only) from LotRO, they will renew. However, regardless of the legal case, Turbine does have to consider it's future products and revenue streams. They cannot wait until LotRO is finished to start producing their next game.

PS: In fairness I have not kept up with these legal proceedings, so I'm not aware if this is still pending or already resolved. Considering the pace of most legal proceedings, I would doubt its been resolved. It is also possible that the TE is just looking for a more advantageous percentage of the profits - JRRT's original deal was before merchandising, and rampant copyrighting of individual terms within books, took off. JRRT & his heirs have lost potentially billions of dollars of revenue since signing that original deal.

Quote Originally Posted by AccessDenied View Post
    You may not be completely wrong.

About 2 years ago the Tolkien Estate took legal action against Middle-earth Enterprises (MeE) over the intent and verbiage of the nearly perpetual license signed by JRRT. As I recall, specifically, the license is for "real" products (legally this means items that physically exist, in the real world, not just a digital product (ie, programming & data) - like LotRO) and this calls into question whether MeE overstepped their legal authority. If a judge were to find MeE has done so, it might provide the Tolkien Estate (TE) the leverage they need to finally have that license terminated, reverting all merchandising rights back to TE.
    As long as boxed versions are still available (and they currently are), I would think that the definition of "real products" is being meet. Also, I am sure that--in our current digital world--there is a new definition of *real product* that could be applied. Microsoft sells MS Office almost exclusively in downloadable form now. I am pretty sure that no one would dispute this is a *real product.*

If that were to happen, Christopher Tolkien, in control of the TE, would terminate any and all products as quickly as legally possible - he considers all past and current products to be terribly crude, inappropriate and rapacious of his father's literary work(s). He would consign all the merchandise into the fires of Mount Doom at the earliest opportunity.
    While any or all products may not meet his standards, he opened the door, and it is really to late to close it without lawsuits galore.

So Turbine might, in a way, be rushing to move the story along and complete things. Turbine's licensing renewal with MeE in 2017 provides a logical point at which to discontinue the relationship, provided it is a sound financial decision. If Turbine is making a substantial profit (I heard $113m USD last year, unsure if that is total incoming or profit only) from LotRO, they will renew. However, regardless of the legal case, Turbine does have to consider it's future products and revenue streams. They cannot wait until LotRO is finished to start producing their next game.
    This sounds a bit short-sighted on Turbine's part. This is a game with an actual story-line, and it is a story that keeps finding new devotees all the time. The books and the movies also provide free advertising and new interest in visiting Middle Earth. If they turn the game into trash, then their profits will dry up. On the other hand, the could have a product that generates profit for an extremely long time.

It kind of makes me think of how so many companies are fear driven these days given the big bubble bursts that have happened in the near past. So their plan is to get in with a product, grab what profit they can, and get out as quickly as possible and the customers be damned. If Turbine follows this route and basically abandons Lotro (as in never fully developing it), it will not do their reputation much good, and I can see them losing markets as people become aware that the Turbine games they are interested in may not ever be fully developed. Gamers tend to be a fickle lot, and there is a lot to choose from, so they may stop by for a quick tour and then go on to spend their time (and money) elsewhere.

If Turbines' income from Lotro was that high, even considering their expenses, it makes one (me, at least) wonder why there have been so many layoffs. Somebody, somewhere, apparently wants quick profits vs. profits over time.

PS: In fairness I have not kept up with these legal proceedings, so I'm not aware if this is still pending or already resolved. Considering the pace of most legal proceedings, I would doubt its been resolved. It is also possible that the TE is just looking for a more advantageous percentage of the profits - JRRT's original deal was before merchandising, and rampant copyrighting of individual terms within books, took off. JRRT & his heirs have lost potentially billions of dollars of revenue since signing that original deal.
    Well, if making money is more important to his familial heirs than JRRT's gift of Middle Earth to the world, then I would have to say that Sauron has them firmly in his grasp now.

The crafting is something i have as a forte on my alts, but I still suffer the % frustrations many of you know about. If crating update maybe more that would
    give boosts to craft %'s . I just did 7 Will essence recipes at 79% and only 2 got crits. That is a lot of grinding to get the coins for those recipes and I have
    already paid vip. Why should i have to spend more $ at the store to get even the stated %? It makes it a sore point when thinking about things the last months
    i was hoping would develop to get me off the game some to have stuff like this let me know my time spent here is often a waste of time. I should not have
    to buy extra store stuff after already paying to be here anyhow. More craft boosts of different types as this for store stuff is killing the feel of the game. That is the
    focus I would like to see added to crafting. We should not have to grind out essence crud to be able to do tier 2 stuff and the essence crud be have any success that is
    somehow related to something else we can buy at the store. Was told devs do not see t2 tactical damage as any problem. Not of course not, not when for chance of success
    is aided by store bought goodies that help crafting to get to a % that it ALREADY states but often does not get to without the store boosts.
    Last edited by beaglefan61; Jun 23 2015 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beaglefan61 View Post
    I just did 7 Will essence recipes at 79% and only 2 got crits. That is a lot of grinding to get the coins for those recipes and I have
    already paid vip. Why should i have to spend more $ at the store to get even the stated %? It makes it a sore point when thinking about things the last months
    i was hoping would develop to get me off the game some to have stuff like this let me know my time spent here is often a waste of time. I should not have
    to buy extra store stuff after already paying to be here anyhow.
    This may or may not soothe you ... My first 13 Supreme Physical Mastery crafting attempts yielded me 5 critical (supreme) versions and this was at the 70+% threshold. I feel your pain. I can add however that the following week I attempted 5 more and went 5 for 5 ... so it will/does even out. Keep trying - you can do it! ><
    Learn much I must
    Kill many I will
    Grow stronger
    Live Longer

My first 13 Supreme Physical Mastery crafting attempts yielded me 5 critical 70+%

Quote Originally Posted by beaglefan61
    " I just did 7 Will essence recipes at 79% and only 2 got crits. { very heplful info friends. u both know these supr items r usually worth the $199. or so price tag , & i myself have tried so many attempts with nearly similiar results when i wasn't using a " perfect crafting scroll.

Level 85 guild rep armor broke my heart It took me 5 or 6 weeks to make it and I parked my level 85 HUnter till her set was complete. She wore it for one day and it was replaced with regular quest rewards that outshone it by 200 AL points and better stats.

I hope 95 guild armor isn't the same way.

/signed
    Cinders, Cinderl, Cinderm, Cinderc, Cinderb, Cinderk, Cindercha, Cinderw and WildlingVal of Landroval:)
    Proud Officer of "Kings Beyond the Wall" kinship:)

Quote Originally Posted by Issianna View Post
    Level 85 guild rep armor broke my heart It took me 5 or 6 weeks to make it
    Why?

a) If you're going for 6 Large items, it would only take you 28 days; 28 small, 6 medium, 4 Large; 28S/7 -> 4M + 6M = 10M/5 -> 2L + 4L = 6L
    b) You could have just crafted the pieces of armor with Ingredient Packs, which would have completely removed the need to craft guild items.
    c) Uncommon lvl 85 gear that randomly drops in Wildermore have better stats than both Hytbold and Guild lvl 85 gear.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    b) You could have just crafted the pieces of armor with Ingredient Packs, which would have completely removed the need to craft guild items.
    When 85 was cap, the gear couldn't be made with packs.
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    Why?

a) If you're going for 6 Large items, it would only take you 28 days; 28 small, 6 medium, 4 Large; 28S/7 -> 4M + 6M = 10M/5 -> 2L + 4L = 6L
    c) Uncommon lvl 85 gear that randomly drops in Wildermore have better stats than both Hytbold and Guild lvl 85 gear.

A: I only made the Large patterns. 28 days wouldn't have made the scenario any better. I wore the guild armor for a couple hours when I turned 85.
    B: I don't buy stuff at the store that I can make myself. I like crafting.
    C: It was common gear from level 85 quests that outshone my level 85 guild armor.

I think you should get to use your gear for 5 levels
    Cinders, Cinderl, Cinderm, Cinderc, Cinderb, Cinderk, Cindercha, Cinderw and WildlingVal of Landroval:)
    Proud Officer of "Kings Beyond the Wall" kinship:)

Quote Originally Posted by Issianna View Post
    A: I only made the Large patterns. 28 days wouldn't have made the scenario any better. I wore the guild armor for a couple hours when I turned 85.
    You spent 42 days crafting the 6 Large items... So, how is eliminating 14 days from that time schedule not making the scenario any better?
    B: I don't buy stuff at the store that I can make myself. I like crafting.
    You never need to "buy stuff at the store". You can gain 21 Ingredient packs in the from the 10 crafting introduction quests (3 per vocation).
    I think you should get to use your gear for 5 levels
    As the level cap grows, power creep happens.

And, they shouldn't be going back to revamp the power curve every time creep happens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast