We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Have they really changed the Minstrel this much?

I haven't really played a minstrel for well over a year, back before the big change they made--was it almost 2 years ago? Anyway, I'm just wondering is it me or has the game really became this easy?

I started a new minstrel as an alt a few weeks ago, mainly because my main was an explorer and trying to gather scholar resources while fighting on the landscape was a pain, so I rolled this minstrel to be my scholar.

I'm being adventurous and running this toon in Harmony, simply because I want the protector of song legendary trait, and since I must have 5 yellow traits, I might as well get used to that stance early.

After getting to level 30, I had my tailor make a full set of guild crafted blue armour and my jeweller make a full set of blue guild jewellry and my weaponsmith make a blue guild sword, so I know my armour is higher than usual, but I'm still running around Garth Argarwen taking on enemies on level that I've never been able to take on before with any other type of toon. My main is a hunter, and I would have never been able to do what I've been doing on level with this minstrel!

Case in point:

At level 29, while down in Harloeg doing the quest to kill the trolls, I took on Galrip (the boss) AND a bone crusher troll AND a stone throwing troll all three at once and managed to survive and beat them all, while only having to hit my athelas potions no more than once or twice.

Today, at level 32, in Agamaur, I am taking on the level 32 elite grim waters and surviving. I've never been able to do that before, especially on level!

And what really blew me out of the water? While going back into Agamaur to see if I could handle the grim waters, I encountered a Creoth leader and TWO grim Creoth, all three at the same time, and won the match! My hunter before this had trouble with just the leader when she was 10 levels higher than him, and would have never had a hope of winning a match against the leader, let alone the leader AND 2 minions, on level!

So I'm wondering: is this the norm for minstrels since the last few updates? Have they really made the minstrels this super powerful, or have they really, really made the game this easy lately? Or should I just chalk it up to my guild crafted equipment?

It's more so the Minstrel than the content IMO. To be frank these days their survivability is second only to Wardens(who are just up in the clouds, in more ways than one).

Your equipment certainly plays a part, but the removal of the Outgoing Healing debuff from Warspeech has meant that Minis can go full DPS mode while maintaining full healing power, which along with their potent Power restore, means that they can essentially go on indefinitely, provided they don't eat a big crit.

For the record, this is something I suspect will be reversed with the upcoming class revamps for Helm's Deep.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

All of the classes are stronger at lower levels than they used to be. This is partly by design, as they want people to speed through the content to reach level cap, and its partly the by-product of various easy mode decisions, such as putting large amounts of gold into the hands of low level characters through hobbit presents, decreasing the price of horses, increasing the amount of gold dropped, etc.

In some ways, yes, the Minstrel is overpowered. On the other hand, I have been leveling a Hunter recently and am doing EVERYTHING on-level (using an XP-disabler) and I was able to do all the landscape quests in the Lone-lands at level. It would have been easier on a Minstrel, sure, but it was still doable on a Hunter. (Side note: I do think the game is easier. I've been completing full Fellowship quests solo on my Hunter when they are still conning green to me, that is, only 6 levels lower than I am. This would have been impossible in the past, I believe. On the other hand, I've been through all this content before, I've played this class before, I've played the game so much that I'm a bit of an expert at it, so I know all the tricks. A new player probably couldn't do it. Remember that you're experienced, too.)
    Narlinde, level 100 Minstrel, Rank 11, Member of Trucido ~ Windfola

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudie-wan View Post
    In some ways, yes, the Minstrel is overpowered. On the other hand, I have been leveling a Hunter recently and am doing EVERYTHING on-level (using an XP-disabler) and I was able to do all the landscape quests in the Lone-lands at level. It would have been easier on a Minstrel, sure, but it was still doable on a Hunter. (Side note: I do think the game is easier. I've been completing full Fellowship quests solo on my Hunter when they are still conning green to me, that is, only 6 levels lower than I am. This would have been impossible in the past, I believe. On the other hand, I've been through all this content before, I've played this class before, I've played the game so much that I'm a bit of an expert at it, so I know all the tricks. A new player probably couldn't do it. Remember that you're experienced, too.)
    I knew the game had gotten easier, because I've been doing the same with my hunter, which is my main, as well. My roommate and I, both with hunters, managed to complete the library at Tham Mirdan as a duo--and I was about 5 levels higher, and she was about 5 levels lower. And if it had been for the huge crit hit by the big boss at the end, we would have completed the school at Tham Mirdan as well. She's working on a champion right now, so when we get my mini and her champion up to that level, I'll be curious to see if that combo can duo the school--though the trait tree changes might be in effect by then.......

I was just amazed at what my minstrel can accomplish these days compared to my old minstrel. It is helpful for me as a solo player to be able to complete some of these fellowship quests and such by myself, but it also does kind of take the wind out of the sails of victory, so to speak. It's like that area in Bree south of Adso's camp, where all those brigands are at. That used to be a very difficult area, and if I could take a toon through there without getting killed, I thought I'd accomplished something. Now? If I DO get killed that means I wasn't paying any attention at all!

The game has gotten somewhat easier, but I'd say it's mostly the Minstrel you are noticing.

I created one of each class on a new server and ran each of them through getting their legendary pages starting at 39 and finishing at 41 in the last few months. There's an orc camp that I tend to farm for pages in Angmar, Skathmur. In the very back of it are some denser clusters of orcs and Angmarim. On most classes I avoided them at 39, concentrating on the smaller groups. For most classes, defeat was a real risk; for some, it was just slow going to deal with all the mobs.

On the minstrel, I swept the entire camp in record time including those denser groups. I could also handle them on warden and rune-keeper, but not as quickly. Starting with Hammerhand up, laying down a coda on Free Peoples as soon as possible, and calling/crying/coda-ing the stuffing out of everything was very effective and fast--almost manically so.