We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Cosmetic Weapons

One of my favourite things about Lotro has always been the cosmetics. Most other games now have or have adopted cosmetics to allow players to customize their appearance, where as Lotro has always had this option. Well Turbine, it
    is not time for you guys to take this to the next logical step. PLEASE make weapons/shields cosmetic. There are some very cool looking weapons and shields in this game, but there are also some very bad ones. Now, I realize that everyone has different tastes and what I like someone else wont and visa versa, but making weapons/shields cosmetic will finally give us, your customers, that final piece of the puzzle to finish off out individual looks.

I have been saving for years now certain weapons/shields in hopes that you would finally get around to adding this feature. Hopefully some mod or dev will read this and pass this along. I am not a programmer so I have zero idea of what would be involved in making this a reality, but seeing as how the other major slots have a cosmetic option I can only assume that the code is already inplace to allow for this option. Even Everquest, a 15 year old game now has this feature. You guys lead the way in making cosmetic choices a part of the game, finish what you started.

Thanks.

I can only see this (maybe) happening if there are certain restrictions applied to it.

For example, the weapon cosmetic choice has to match the actual equipped weapon for whatever hand it's in. No having a cosmetic sword when you're swinging around a mace or axe. No have a cosmetic Heavy shield when you're using a Light or Warden shield, etc. If your toon is using certain weapons in certain hands, the cosmetic skin has to be of the same type of weapon.

Otherwise, I can see a whole lot of nasty business ensuing. People complaining about how players are 'lying' about their weapons and such- and with the anonymous option, no, toons cannot always be inspected to see what weapons they are actually using. I'm pretty sure that it was for similar reason that cosmetic outfits were taken out of the Moors- give fair visual assessment on what the player is actually using at the time.

Aside from this, I would rather like a system that let me choose the appearance of my weapons. Right now, my Champ is using one of the Wildermore barter axes, and I love the way it looks and matches up to her name- Carhathol, or 'Red Axe'. I would be a very happy player if she could keep that look- but I know that she will eventually out level the axe and need to go looking for a new one. (Also, I know it's a matter of opinion, but some of the weapons in the game look downright silly. We have several one-handed axes that are, in proportion to the toon, so big that you would need two hands to swing it around. Plus other bits and pieces here and there)

I also know that such a system may take more time and money than Turbine/WB thinks that it is worth, and may not be made at all. In which case, I would simply like to ask that we have a way to 'hide' equipped weapons, perhaps in one of two ways. The way we can select which parts of equipment are visible, like in the outfits panel, or a hotkey to turn their visibility to the player on and off, like with f12 and the UI. The first, or course, would disable in combat, making equipped weapons visible again.

Quote Originally Posted by Temrhyn View Post
    I can only see this (maybe) happening if there are certain restrictions applied to it.

For example, the weapon cosmetic choice has to match the actual equipped weapon for whatever hand it's in. No having a cosmetic sword when you're swinging around a mace or axe. No have a cosmetic Heavy shield when you're using a Light or Warden shield, etc. If your toon is using certain weapons in certain hands, the cosmetic skin has to be of the same type of weapon.
    I agree with this, and like in my OP, Everquest has what they call weapon augments, and augment slots in the weapons/shields. You drop an augment into the slot to change the look, much like the relics we drop into our LI's now. The difference is these cosmetic augs do not affect the weapon in anyway other then to change its displayed look. And yes, they are subject to the host weapon type, ie: a 1hd sword has to have a 1hd sword aug dropped into it to change the look. I do agree with you that the weapon types would have to match. Like you, I have a lvl 60 SA 1hd sword for my champ that I have been saving for years now, cause to me its the best looking 1hd sword and would love to be able to equip it cosmetically to dual wield it. And I also agree that shields too would have to match up, but this is like the old cosmetic system that existed before the wardrobe. If you were a light armour wearer, you could not equip heavy armour, even cosmetically, but the wardrobe has made that null and void. Tho, I do agree that shields would have to match up.

(Also, I know it's a matter of opinion, but some of the weapons in the game look downright silly. We have several one-handed axes that are, in proportion to the toon, so big that you would need two hands to swing it around. Plus other bits and pieces here and there)
    I invite you to watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MejveUjpw8U
    ... and re-think your opinion.

If your toon is using certain weapons in certain hands, the cosmetic skin has to be of the same type of weapon.
    I think that's not a bad idea...

But on my Guardian who has a 1h axe right now, he swings and stabs with it just the same as he does with his sword. As I remember it, my Warden using a sword had the same animations that she uses with a spear.

So not sure what value there is in forcing people to use a axe skin with an axe, if the animations are the same for a axe as they are a sword, or dagger, or club...

One vs Two handed would be a different matter.

For me, a lack of cosmetic options in an MMO is one of the first (and frankly one of the larger) strikes against it. I want my character to look like how I want my character to look. Simple as that. It's a fairly important, driving impulse for many western MMO players. Sorry, that's just the way it is. There's a reason why cosmetic item slots have practically become obligatory in a new MMO. If I wanted to play a game that was all about stats and "who gives a #### what your gear looks like", I wouldn't play an MMO.

That being said, LotRO is interestingly enough both a wondrous blessing for all its amazing cosmetic options, and a maddening mirage in that I can't alter the one or two items that will almost ALWAYS be present on my character: my weapon(s) and/or shield. And what makes it even MORE excruciating in LotRO is that great attention has been paid by the LotRO artists and designers to make some really awesome weapon and shield models.

Please PLEASE add cosmetic slots for weapons and shields. It's one of the small little digs at my enjoyment and immersion level that have kept me from being a truly devoted LotRO player. Not saying I leave LotRO after a couple months (as I have done over and over) simply because I can't cosmetically alter my weapon, but I am saying it's definitely a factor.

Cosmetic weapons have been on the wishlist since beta... I would love to know what is keeping it out of game; there's no difference between this and the clothing system. One simply needs to ensure that swords are matched for swords, axes for axes, and so on so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Turanien View Post
    Cosmetic weapons have been on the wishlist since beta... I would love to know what is keeping it out of game; there's no difference between this and the clothing system. One simply needs to ensure that swords are matched for swords, axes for axes, and so on so forth.
    According to Turbine this statement is not true. They have to implement cosmetic weapons from scratch because none of the code for the armor cosmetic system can be reused. Some of the UI elements like the cosmetic tabs can be used.

There was a long discussion about armor and weapon cosmetics back when Turbine was first starting down this road. Floon (the former art director) stated that they had enough resources to do either an armor or a weapon cosmetic system at the time but not both. Turbine was going with the lower cost cosmetic feature - armor cosmetics. The weapon cosmetic system was going to cost more than the armor cosmetic system. There was no cost benefit for doing both at once. Best I can tell it was something like 100 units to do armor cosmetics, 180 units to do weapon cosmetics, 275 units to do both armor and weapon cosmetics at the same time.

One issue with a system like weapon cosmetics. You choose not to do it in say 2009 for 180 units. The cost goes up in 2010 because new features and extensions to existing features result in additional work now it might be 210 units of work. You run into the 2010 problem - even when the amount does not go up - it is more expensive to do it - it is called inflation - 180 units might inflate to 190.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Does this really matter, outside of PvP? If I envision a dwarf swinging a big hammer, let me cosmetically equip the coolest-looking hammer I've found so far in my adventures, even if under the covers I'm using an axe because it has the best stats of any weapon I've found.

I haven't been to the Ettenmoors in years, but I assume it is still the same and all cosmetic items are disabled while in that zone. Just apply this to weapons as well, and then there's no harm done. PvP opponents can see exactly what you're wielding, just like they can see the ugly mismatched armor that you're really wearing.

I actually don't think this matters much in PvP either, I can't imagine people are actually studying peoples' armor choices and modifying their playstyle based on stats they memorized for each and every piece in the game. "Oh no, he's wearing THOSE boots! Abort, abort!"

I'm closing in on my 5th anniversary with LotRO and the lack of cosmetic weapons/shields has always been a big frustration. Particularly, it seems like the shields with good stats are always ugly, and the shields which look good (or at least unique) have awful stats and nobody will ever equip them.

How difficult would it be to add another slot to legendary weapons, which allowed you to alter their appearance?
    It would be great to have Hobbit weapons that looked like the "Malledhrim Dagger of Warding"
    Or Elven swords that looked like the "Defender of Gwingris" or the "Malledrim Sword of Warding".
    There are loads more of really great looking weapons in the game and I wish we could better control the appearance of the weapons that our characters carry.

Oh how I wish. I love my warden to pieces, but I dislike the huge ill-designed shields much of the time.
    I know they make sense that way, but I love the look of smaller shields.
    I wish maybe, if they refuse to make cosmetic overlays an option - like with clothes - they'd at least
    give us more actual weapon designs to choose from. Like how you can get some nice Filikul shell legendaries
    around level 60, or just use the simple stuff everyone else gets to choose from.

Why not that, Turbine?
    Just give us exactly the same item - but different ways of obtaining it that give different worth-while designs?
    Maybe make grinding some of those instances more worth it.
    The spears are so boring I can't believe it.
    At least lore-masters got some sweet looking ox-head staffs in Dunland.
    Maybe give the crafters different cosmetic outputs for the same items?

It's tragic to see so many truly awesome looking weapons and shields go straight to the vendor just because they're
    useless stat-wise.
    Sure, you can carry some cosmetic weapons/shields around and toggle wearing them or the real-deal
    depending on what you're doing. I do that with my shield. But too many times have I forgotten that I was
    in fact wearing the wrong shield, and gotten into a pickle.

I think there's some stuff that could be done without costing an arm and a leg.

Okay, so maybe no fully customizable thing.

But stuff like multi-output crafting recipes for LI's and top crafting tier weapons could float?

Sell those recipes for TP/mithril coins and you have a business case that looks feasible to me.

Just ask Fredelas for a reasonable pricelevel

2 Harrow Rd, Ewefields, Shire (Landroval)
    So I've been floating around since year one and yes so has this issue. I'll go ahead and +1 (again). Please, Turbine give us cosmetic weapons/shields.
    Camuril Arthandir // Serendis // Duban Brightstone // Harel Hornwood // Romenar // Barza // Reigar // Menellach // Mereloth // Lorannon // Isildis // Romandil
    Elentiri, Bounders of the Shire, Glory of the Longbeards - Landroval Kinships

I think, Rainothon's proposal is the best, because it keeps the nature of the respective weapon. If weapons could be replaced with a skin from the wardrobe, it would mean that a) some weapons skins would differ so much in size from the actual item, that the weapon enchantment effects don't fit any more (remember the invisible lore master staff debacle?), and b) even more items have to be crammed into in the same wardrobe space as before. Of course you can buy more space from Turbine, but I doubt that all players will be happy with that solution.

Also, if the hand held cosmetics could be used as a weapon skin, too, my minstrel would suddenly unsheathe an apple basket and slam Thaurlach with it (not).

Greetings, Polymachos