We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Choosing my world

Hey, newish player here. I'm creating a new player and am just having a difficult time trying to find a server that would fit me. Nowhere I look is really steering me in one direction or another.

I'm just posting this to see if there's any recommendations some seasoned players can make so I can choose my charrie's home and finally be able to just play the game!

I'm mainly looking for a server with:
    - small to medium population
    - that still has an active auction market
    - with mature players that don't run around bugging you too much, but can still offer help if I want to tackle a group quest
    - I do enjoy playing solo, but like I said if I want to tackle a group quest, people would help
    - won't be flooded by a bunch of new players
    - I am mainly f2p

I was thinking maybe Riddermark, but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry to bug you all with this newbie question. I've looked on the forum servers and can never get a good summary of what the worlds' communities are really like.

Quote Originally Posted by H-BOMB View Post
    Hey, newish player here. I'm creating a new player and am just having a difficult time trying to find a server that would fit me. Nowhere I look is really steering me in one direction or another.

I'm just posting this to see if there's any recommendations some seasoned players can make so I can choose my charrie's home and finally be able to just play the game!

- with mature players that don't run around bugging you too much, but can still offer help if I want to tackle a group quest
    - I do enjoy playing solo, but like I said if I want to tackle a group quest, people would help
    - I am mainly f2p

I was thinking maybe Riddermark, but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry to bug you all with this newbie question. I've looked on the forum servers and can never get a good summary of what the worlds' communities are really like.
    Landroval for US and Laurelin for EU time zone would fit you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiritier View Post
    Landroval, eh? I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the fast reply!

Landroval is not a small population server. It's one of the most active servers. That said, it does have a great community, and would fit your other criteria well.
    Mosby, Founder of The Palantíri kinship (Landroval) - LotRO Charts Tumblr - Runes & Translations

As glides in seas the shark, Rides Mosby through green dark. -Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Hiritier View Post
    He said "small to medium population" and those two are among the more heavily populated servers.

That said, there really isn't all that much difference between the various servers. (Unless you are into roleplaying, in which case Landroval or Laurelin are the recommended servers.)

One difference that does exist is that different servers are busy during different times of the day.
    It used to be that one set of servers were based in North America and one set in Europe. These days all the servers reside in the same server-hall (somewhere in the Boston area, on the US East Coast)
    but the old NA servers are still busiest during US prime-time, while the old EU servers are busiest during EU prime-time. ("prime-time" is basically from late afternoon to late evening)

Finding people to group with can sometimes be difficult even in the best circumstances, and even more so if your play time does not match when most other people on the server are playing, so try to find
    a server that match your playing times.

Landroval is a wonderful server, but it has a large population. If it works out for you, then that's great! If you find there are too many people around then I would suggest a smaller US server like Arkenstone, Nimrodel, Vilya, or Gladden.

One thing to note though is that a well-stocked Auction House is most likely only to be found on a large server.
    MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority

I think you hit the nail on the head with Riddermark. Large enough to where you can find help, a wonderful AH, and amazing kinships that fit any want/need you have, but not big enough to where you single digit frame rates in Bree. PvMP isn't amazing, but you said f2p anyway. I drifted around for 6 months before settling with Riddermark. The community is great and there are a lot of helpful people. Besides the Pirate Party is coming soon. Will be up in events shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by H-BOMB View Post

- I am mainly f2p

Another server you might consider is Imladris. I went over there after starting off on Brandywine and Dwarrowdelf and left because those two servers were just too crowded for me. I like to do crafting, but getting resources on those two servers was so difficult!

Imladris is smaller--so you have plenty of elbow room in the lower level areas, and you aren't competing with a ton of other players for the same small resource pool. The other players certainly don't bug you at all, but are willing to help if you need it--though if you need help, use the glff channel if you have access to it as F2P as sometimes getting a response in the regional channel can be iffy. I'm solo, but I've found that the other players on that server are friendly and willing to help when I need it, and certainly don't bug you!

The only thing that might be a drawback for you is that while the auction house is decently active, it tends to have mostly upper level items in it because the main bulk of the player population seems to be advanced level. You don't find much there for lower level players. That being said, if you find yourself a good kinship, you'll have the help there to get whatever items or resources you need. Of course, that part is true on whatever server you land on!

What you might do is, if you can, make a toon on each of the servers you are considering and play for a while to see if its to your tastes. That's also a way to try the various classes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AllySanders View Post
    What you might do is, if you can, make a toon on each of the servers you are considering and play for a while to see if its to your tastes. That's also a way to try the various classes as well.
    This ^^^

Start with Landroval, even though it's "more populated" than others mentioned. You might find that you actually prefer it, and we do have a great community!
    ----
    Ferradan, Burglar, Landroval
    Ferranhelm, Hunter, Nimrodel
    ----

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    What sort of things would you want on the AH?

If you're looking for armor or weapons, you could always request (read: ask in trade chat) a tailor, metalsmith or woodworker to craft you a set of armor or a weapon. Many will do it cheap or even free (I'll do it for free if I happen to have the mats or if they provide the mats needed). You don't really need the AH for those.

Mats usually sell quick on the AH in Gladden unless they're overpriced, but it's not over-populated so it's never a problem farming for them. You don't run into many people out in the field so you won't have to fight for resources as badly.

The only other things a newbie would really require off the auction house that I can think of would be recipes and maybe task items.
    Tolella Hlothran ~ Minstrel ~ 115
    Crickhollow
    Officer ~ Phoenix Rising

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    He said "small to medium population" and those two are among the more heavily populated servers.
    I wouldnt call Landroval is a "large" server. It's medium. Check this: http://lux-hdro.de/hdro-live-us.php. I call 4-5% population is small. 7-8% is medium and >10% is large. Landroval seem more active just because the roleplayers run many player's evens. Further more, Landroval fit his other demands:

- I am mainly f2p (Landroval is a casual easy going server)

Im not sure about the AH tho, but many kind people would even craft for you free, expecially if you are in a good kins.
    Last edited by Hiritier; Aug 30 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Elendilmir's gotten tons smaller, but still has a very active AH. Might be worth trying out. I like it.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL