We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

To fleet or not to fleet

So... just wanted to start a discussion on whether dps is better with a legendary fleet stance build or a build without it. I have gone with a fleet stance build for quite a while now, but I have been thinking about changing things up and parsing just to test it out. I was watching the youtube video of the Flight T2C kill and saw that the hunter did not use fleet stance and he had great dps. Any thoughts?

I'm interested to see what other hunters have to say about this. My husband and I have been fleet stance hunters since RoI, but are wondering now if the focus would be better spent on the big damage skills instead of fleet stance. We still like blue line very much, just not sure about the capstone.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

I was blue, then released the fault of my ways. Blue line with improved fleet is best Moors set up. PvE I am 4red, 3 blue with pure focus on DPS. I sometimes remove 1 blue and throw in Heightened Senses for a long instance just in case of power issues.

My traits that I believe to give me highest sustained DPS:
    Red:
    Barbed Fury
    Swift and True
    Swift Mercy
    Critical Eye
    Blue:
    Earthborn
    Deadly Precision
    Strong Draw

Fleetness stance is great on a hunter that has at least 2 piece of Erebor Huntsman armour. you can't go wrong with -1 focus cost for pen shots and blood arrows.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001da17c/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Depends on armour setup and personal preference, both 4r3b and 5b2r+Imp. Fleetness are very solid build and on pair with each other in term of DPS. Might be the best to try all the trait setups out and see which rotation you like the best (yeah with different traits rotation change as well ).

PS: Imp. Fleetness without -1 focus cost from armour bonus is kind of pointless imho.
    Man cenuva métim' andúnë.

Since there probably are not that many videos of Flight Challenge from the point of view of a hunter not using Imp. Fleetness, I'll assume OP is talking about me . I might as well share what build I used and why ! And also tell that if I was not supposed both to pick the targets and spot Berserkers coming from behind and the side, I would probably have been more efficient dps-wise (it is not conveniant to pick a targent in front of you and check if a bad guy spawns in your back at the same time !)

First thing to note is, as said Farasillion, both of the most common builds among raiders (4r/3b and 5b) are very good for burst and sustained damage. There are a few threads with people comparing dummy dps at lvl 85 and all they showed is that if there is a difference, it is thin. Still it might be a good idea to check them if you are questionning yourself because armour sets bonuses are often discussed in such threads.

So the best is indeed to try both styles (first on dummies, then in raids/instances) and choose the one you prefer and are most efficient with.
    However, I would advise anyone not only to try both but to take the time to be (reasonably) efficient in both styles.

For exemple, I mostly always play 4r/3b. Yet, I once raided Flight in a group that had 4 hunters (including me). All the other 3 were good players, and using Imp. Fleetness. When three little machine guns are focusing the same low moral target, well let's just say the slower but harder hitting gun does not always have the time to shoot before things die. Basically, a lot of targets would die before my inductions finished, so my dps was extremely low. In this situation, using a 5b build would have been a great boost for me. So in order to be able to adapt to your raid, it is better to be able to do good damage both ways.

Now why did I go 4r/3b on the video ? First reason is that since I'm the most experienced main hunter in my kin, I am usually the one picking the targets. Combine this with the fact that we had "only" 3 hunters, inductions almost always fired and lost time was almost zero so there is no real disadvantage to the slower inductions.
    You might also have noticed on the video that our strategy involves a lot of AoE damage. An Imp. Fleetness build yields no particular advantage for RoA-spam hunter's AoE because its armour bonus only applies to PS and BlA, while the red line will be more efficient (additional +x% ranged damage from trait line).

Quote Originally Posted by Peresbert View Post
    I was blue, then released the fault of my ways. Blue line with improved fleet is best Moors set up. PvE I am 4red, 3 blue with pure focus on DPS. I sometimes remove 1 blue and throw in Heightened Senses for a long instance just in case of power issues.

My traits that I believe to give me highest sustained DPS:
    Red:
    Barbed Fury
    Swift and True
    Swift Mercy
    Critical Eye
    Blue:
    Earthborn
    Deadly Precision
    Strong Draw

Traiting Heightened Senses if you have no Captain or Lore-Master in your group can make sense, otherwise I could not even consider it. Critical Eye you should not need if you have enough time to gear properly and have captain buffs. Swift Mercy is a bit tricky to use but can be very efficient. Earthborn, however, is absolute trash. For a 4r/3b setup, the 3 blue traits are Deadly Precision, Strong Draw and either Swift Recovery (single target) or Arrow Storm (AoE). I honestly can't see any other way
    Last edited by Gabli; Aug 30 2013 at 07:53 PM.