We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Any tips for an old Hunter players?

I'm returning to the game, I played in the Beta test until Mines and left. Came back a little during RoI, but I had to leave again because I was starting college. Now that life has slowed down, I want to get back into the game. My hunter is level 40, so I've got a ways to go to get to max level. What I was hoping for, was any tips for leveling and eventually getting into groups and doing group PvE content.

I remember I was working on my red traits, but I don't know if it's still viable for PvE. I don't even know if it's been changed around a bunch... what kinds of stats should I prioritize and what sort of traits should I be working to get in each area? I'm assuming I'll still need tons of crit...

I know there used to be a sort of armory, but I can't find a link to it so I'll have to wait until I get into the game to post what I've got on now, but if you know where to find it please let me know. My character's name is Geseb on Dwarrowdelf server. Thanks for any help you can offer to an old player!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenonce View Post
    I'm returning to the game, I played in the Beta test until Mines and left. Came back a little during RoI, but I had to leave again because I was starting college. Now that life has slowed down, I want to get back into the game. My hunter is level 40, so I've got a ways to go to get to max level. What I was hoping for, was any tips for leveling and eventually getting into groups and doing group PvE content.

I remember I was working on my red traits, but I don't know if it's still viable for PvE. I don't even know if it's been changed around a bunch... what kinds of stats should I prioritize and what sort of traits should I be working to get in each area? I'm assuming I'll still need tons of crit...

I know there used to be a sort of armory, but I can't find a link to it so I'll have to wait until I get into the game to post what I've got on now, but if you know where to find it please let me know. My character's name is Geseb on Dwarrowdelf server. Thanks for any help you can offer to an old player!
    Welcome back.

First, as most player do ask, don't worry a great deal about armour and traits until you reach the level cap of 85. Do still get quest rewards that reward agility, or something that you like the look of, but don't go out of your way to obtain, for example, a full set of level 65 weapons and armour all fully maxed out, as it will be useless in the next few levels. With that being said, there is an expansion expected to arrive sometime at the end of this year, which will increase the current level cap from 85 - 95, so once you get to level 85, you shouldn't strain yourself too much at getting the best gear.

Red and blue traits are both very viable, either going fully in one line or mixing and matching the two, both work very well. If you enjoy hitting bigger numbers and being a little less mobile, then head for the Red line, but if you enjoy faster inductions and being more mobile in combat, then go for the Blue line.

For a hunter, Crit is still very important, but thankfully our main stat, agility, still provides a fair amount of crit, so as long as you are focusing on agility as a main stat, your crit should be fine.

I'll just say again that there is the upcoming expansion of Helm's Deep which will bring in new level 95 gear before I suggest ways to get level 85 gear: If you do get to level 85 before the expansion and aim to get some good gear, I'd highly recommend acquiring the Riders of Rohan quest pack, which, when you reach level 84, will unlock the village of Hytbold which is the ideal place for all players to acquire very good armour without having to do any groups or raids - it is effectively a place where solo'ers can get good armour. For more information on Hytbold, I recommend this brilliant thread.

For a legendary weapon, you can get a second age weapon which is a great one to get. You can acquire this by acquiring a 'Tarnished Symbol of Celebrimbor' which can be bartered from any Skirmish Camp 'Legendary Items' NPC for a fair amount of marks and medallions. You can earn those marks and medallions either by doing skirmishes or group instances.

Finally, there have been a lot of changes and additions since you left, so I am not sure what this 'armoury' is you speak of.
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

Extremely well summarized, zalladi. I will just add that the "armory" (my.lotro.com) has been discontinued and that the best way to get into groups is to socialize with everyone you group with. They will remember/friend you and be more likely to invite/join you later.

Aye, I'm not too worried about gear and weapons right now, I do want to get a hold of a legendary or two and play with that system, but I've got the wiki page saved so that when I reach the right level (48, I believe?) I'll do the Moria quests.

I planned to purchase all the xpacs as I reach them, while I'm not subbed right now, I do plan to and I'd like to experience the game without any bars. I've also got a Captain in his 30s that I'd like to level in a different path than my Hunter for a little variety. One thing I do like about LOTRO is there is always a lot to do.

Do you have any recommended traits? I'm redlining it for right now, I didn't realize I had 5 red traits opened, and I leveled up to 41 yesterday so I guess I'll be able to get a hold of the legendary trait here soon after I do the Moria Epic books. What I figure I'll be doing is soloing up to 85 since dungeons don't seem to pop up much. What one or two common traits do you think are worth getting? I'm guessing the +agi ones?

I did notice that a new xpac was supposed to be out this Fall, I'm still in college so I figure I'll be able to get my last 40 levels by December. So if it does come out on time, that's not big deal. I don't plan to raid until I'm out of college next summer anyway. I'm sure by then I'll know the game again backwards and forwards. And if I do manage to level fast, I'll just hop on my Captain and work on him too. I doubt I can get 2 guys up in a 5 month period.

For my jewelry and what not, I've noticed there are a lot of secondary stats, and if it doesn't have agi or crit, I've been prioritizing vit since I do manage to get hit a lot as red. Would going a little more blue be easier? I've not got a single yellow trait unlocked so I figure I haven't worked in any of those skills to my rotation.

And thanks for letting me know about my.lotro.com, guess I don't have to worry about people checking me out that way before talking to me when I join a guild. That's my next goal, find a social RP guild, but I'll go trolling through the Dwarrowdelf forums for that kind of stuff. Thanks for the help y'all!

What one or two common traits do you think are worth getting? I'm guessing the +agi ones?
    I assume you are referring to Virtues? In that case, the Agility ones aren't going to be terribly helpful. By 85 you'll have upwards of 2,000 Agility -- the additional 20 or so you get from a Virtue won't make any noticeable difference. Where Virtues can help is in stats that you don't normally see much of on gear. Since you are solo, physical and tactical mitigation will mean you get hurt for less. Morale is of course a no-brainer, making Zeal an especially nice one since it gives you both Morale and Physical Mitigation. Innocence and Compassion cover both mitigations. You might look at Idealism for leveling since it gives you resistance (another form of tactical mitigation) and Fate which improves crit rate, and in-combat power and morale. Mind you, these suggestions are for leveling solo -- if you are grouping, then you'll want to use different Virtues.

Aye, I meant virtues. I didn't think about picking up ones with secondaries that I don't see on gear... thanks for that! I'll look into them and get the ones I see in areas I'm in.

as others have stated. Don't worry about gear atm. either check yer server's AH for low cost upgrades, craft as you need or use quest rewards. Current cap is 85. when Helms deep comes out this fall the new cap will be 95. so I really wouldn't worry about gear until then.

Character changes. there have been a few. the stat caps have been removed.

my 85 hunter stats atm. which may not be the best but will hopefully give ya an idea.

Might: 69
    Agility: 2090 - Primary stat
    Vitality: 175 - important stat
    will:83 -
    fate: 265 - controls power regen for hunters, so i consider important.

crit rating: 10,252 - very important stat.
    Finesse: 3,795 - reduces your targets resistance, block, parry and evade.
    Physical Mastery: 26,677 - physical melee and ranged damage dealt to your target. - important stat
    tactical mastery: 1,612
    resistance: 516
    Critical defense: 2,020 reduces the critical and devastating magnitude you get hit with.

parry: 5,316 - i consider it important, others may not
    evade: 9,342 - important

Physical mitigation: 6,714 - important, Reduces damage taken from physical melee and physical ranged attacks
    Tactical mitigation: 2,818 - reduces damage taken from spells and skills using tactical.

As for virtue traits I use. Justice, Zeal, Determination, valour, Loyalty.
    for class traits and legendary traits, i would say those are a matter of personal preference.

My morale is at 10, 252 and power is at 4,872.

My hunter is not the greatest. but i hope my layout will help ya get back in the feel of the hunter. I know there are a lot of hunters out here better than mine. but i can say that i usually do not have an issue with burning down a mob, can do some minor off tanking when adds show up and i do not ever have a power regen issue.

Thanks for that! I'll be on the lookout for those virtues! I've got Charity, Loyalty, Compassion, Patience, and Justice in right now, but I think those were just the ones that I had that were highest. I don't think I've seen anything with Finesse on it, but I'll keep an eye out.

Now, about rotations, if anyone has any insights. For redlines, it's lay a trap, and shoot at them hoping they don't reach me?

Now, about rotations, if anyone has any insights. For redlines, it's lay a trap, and shoot at them hoping they don't reach me?
    Traps are useful for multiple mobs, or a single high-health mob, but there are better ways to keep a mob from getting to you for a normal health solo mob. One approach is to slot Barbed Hindrance in the Trapper of Foes line. You open with a Barbed Arrow, and mobs take 30% longer to get to you. The good side is it works in Precision stance and it gets a bleed going on them at the start. The downside is it limits what you can do traitwise, and as a result will slightly lower your DPS capability. The second approach is to use Strength stance and open with a Quick Shot. This slows the mob by 40% (50% with a Legendary Item trait). The downside is that you won't get as much focus as you would in Precision. That will be more of a problem at level 68 and up when Penetrating Shot no longer has a cooldown. The third approach is to not slow them at all and open with a long induction -- either HeartSeeker or Swift Bow. The goal there is to simply kill them before they reach you. With really good gear that's quite possible, but a bit harder to pull of while leveling solo.

The most important thing to realize about any rotation is that you have "regular" skills (all induction skills and most melee skills) and "fast" skills (all instant shots and agile rejoinder). Regular skills will have a bit of a delay between them if you fire two in a row, so you always want to intersperse a regular skill with a fast skill. The fast skill eliminates the delay. Until 68, you'll probably want to intersperse all of your fast skills (Penetrating Shot, Rain of Arrows, and Blood Arrow). In strength stance, you could use Quick Shot, Penetrating Shot, Quick Shot, Rain of Arrows, Quick Shot, Blood Arrow, Quick Shot, Penetrating Shot, Swift Bow, etc. Cooldowns will change that somewhat, but you'll get the idea if you try interspersing.

Last, trait line does not dictate the preferred stance. For example, Strength stance fires more induction skills due to a bit less focus then Precision, so going 4 in the Blue line gives you faster inductions. Precision stance fires more instant shots, so 4 in Red can be used to increase damage, particularly for Penetrating Shot (i.e., more viable after level 68).

Thanks for that! I'll be on the lookout for those virtues! I've got Charity, Loyalty, Compassion, Patience, and Justice in right now, but I think those were just the ones that I had that were highest. I don't think I've seen anything with Finesse on it, but I'll keep an eye out.

Skill rotations are a very personal thing but there are a few basics for us hunters:

1. use focus/improved focus when you get it as part if your pre fight routine.
    2. at lvl 40 using strength.stance is reasonable. can't remember if you have hunters art at this stage but.that buffs damage in strength.stance so use that.
    3. lay trap. if only one mob it doesn't matter, will.be.dead anyway before it gets there but for 3 It's a good idea.
    4. open with an induction, quick shot not a bad choice as it doesn't waste any focus (replaces the one used up by hunters art) and applies a slow. Swift bow would waste on focus here, but does more damage and its a longer induction that you can get out of the way before combat.
    if you've traited barbed hindrance , barbed arrow would work a treat too and allow you to use precision stance (more on that later)
    5. you have full focus and a mob running at you, pen shot then blood arrow pen shot.

mob dead.

TBH that's far from perfect, use whatever's comfortable and situations change what's appropriate, for instance needful haste is great for dps and allows you to open with swift bow with no focus lost.

later with legendary items you get a "legendary" increasing crit magnitude by 13% in precision. this makes strength stance almost never used at cap I believe. I think that comes on LI's at levels above 60 because I never saw it below that or even 65. might have just been unlucky though.

I'm sure you'll just hit the ground running and wonder why you asked in the first place though. hope I helped.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

I just hit 42 today in Angmar, but if I pull any more than 2 mobs at once, or if a patrol comes near when I'm fighting, I get my butt handed to me pretty fast. That's why I was asking. On my 30 Cap I can pull 5 or 6 guys together and down them all without losing half my health, that's why I was asking. From what I can tell, I'm doing it correctly. I just probably need to focus on better places to stand and shoot. Thanks guys!

Don't pull more than a couple of mobs, and use all your CC - traps, dazing blow, low cut plus running, and the one many forget - cry of the predator for animals.

Besides, Angmar at 42 is quite a challenge for anyone. Go finish Evendim first and get some nice kit from those lovely folks at Tinnudir
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Gagmuk View Post
    Vitality: 1075
    Fixed.

When you get to 85, using crafted jewellery and an armour set (Far-arrow set from skrimish camp, Hytbold) should most likely get you to something higher than 2k agility. SA are cheap and you can buy them from the skirmish camp too. Same applies for crests (equivalent to the shards you get). Farm instances, you'll get a lot of marks and medallions.
    Or if you're levelling slowly and Helm's Deep is released before you reach 85, gear won't matter too much.

Virtues: as long as you're not using will/might virtues you're alright. I have Honour, Idealism (just for the extra ICPR), Zeal, Valour, Tolerance, just saying.

On handling mobs, make sure you plan each move. Avoid mobs whenever possible. If a patrol is about to turn around and come back to you, hopefully you're not in combat and you can hide in some hole. Camouflage if needed.
    Use your Trap, and whatever CCs you have at the moment. Whatever they say, slot Bard's Arrow. That 15s fear is gonna save your life (kinda).
    So quickly burn down the other mob once you have trapped one (trapped melee, burn down ranged), make sure you start in full Focus, HS -> PShot -> Blood Arrow -> SB -> PShot -> QS x2 -> PShot or something like that.
    Agile Rejoinder, Needful Haste, heck even SotE might help. And of course, any racial cooldowns you have with you.

And when things go wrong, DF.

The most important thing IMO is still learning how to avoid mobs. I solo'd roughly half of Annúminas, it was painful, but I managed to finish what I sought to complete.

Once you have enough agility/PM (but not too squishy either, something like 7-8k morale at least), you can take on like, 5 mobs at once. I do that regularly in crafting instances.
    [COLOR="#669966"][center][size=1]Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders • Gladden[/size][/center][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarian_Grace View Post
    Skill rotations are a very personal thing but there are a few basics for us hunters:

1. use focus/improved focus when you get it as part if your pre fight routine.
    2. at lvl 40 using strength.stance is reasonable. can't remember if you have hunters art at this stage but.that buffs damage in strength.stance so use that.
    3. lay trap. if only one mob it doesn't matter, will.be.dead anyway before it gets there but for 3 It's a good idea.
    4. open with an induction, quick shot not a bad choice as it doesn't waste any focus (replaces the one used up by hunters art) and applies a slow. Swift bow would waste on focus here, but does more damage and its a longer induction that you can get out of the way before combat.
    if you've traited barbed hindrance , barbed arrow would work a treat too and allow you to use precision stance (more on that later)
    5. you have full focus and a mob running at you, pen shot then blood arrow pen shot.

mob dead.

TBH that's far from perfect, use whatever's comfortable and situations change what's appropriate, for instance needful haste is great for dps and allows you to open with swift bow with no focus lost.

later with legendary items you get a "legendary" increasing crit magnitude by 13% in precision. this makes strength stance almost never used at cap I believe. I think that comes on LI's at levels above 60 because I never saw it below that or even 65. might have just been unlucky though.

I'm sure you'll just hit the ground running and wonder why you asked in the first place though. hope I helped.
    I just made a fresh hunter to cap (to see how the new Fate version works for the lowlvl game) and there's no reason to use strength stance at all.

Precision generates focus, focus gives you more damage output - there is no smoother field gameplay available. Barb arrow to slow, penetrating shot, swift (adds focus). When and if mob gets close, use blindside to generate focus and swift stroke to add parry buff (for agile rejoinder which nowdays always adds a bubble but is still a parry response). For instanced gaming if you open with a crit quick shot, you get agro - a barb bleed is far more comfortable once you get used to using it.

You can poke stuff using blood arrow, you can self buff infinitely but there is no need.

Oh, so you're saying all precision stance? I've used pretty much only Strength Stance up until this point, I figured the damage output would be worth it. I'll experiment with it and see if I like it better.

I've already completed all of Evendim. I bought that "road to evendim" pack a while back on Steam and used it. Also got the Samwise pack for free horses on all of my guys I create It's paid for itself in convenience in my opinion. I'm trying to quest in Angmar because I have no desire to Skirm Solo for 3 levels in the same few places. That's why I'm actively looking for a Kin on my server

Thanks for the tips guys! If you can think of anything else, I'm all ears... or eyes I guess in this situation.

I'm not so convinced on precision stance before A you have the crit magnitude legacy and more importantly improved pen shot so you can actually use all that focus. But yes either way it should be easy enough doing the solo stuff.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

For level 40s, I highly recommend questing in Forochel for solo hunters. Also, don't forget to pick up the hunter class quests when you reach level 45.

I hardly ever get out of strength stance, especially when soloing. There is really no need to. Reason being.. to me, in my expirence... I drop mobs quicker than in PS. Some may argue this but for me it works out beautifully. QS (40-50% slow), SB, PS, MS, PS dead. or I will open up with HS/SB, PS (30% slow), MS, QS, dead or SB.

Either way any rotation is situational dependent. Remember a hunter is not group killing machine. It was designed to be the single target death dealer. ROT, BA, traps and your cries should be part of your rotation IF you encounter 3 or more mobs. You can systematically take out one at a time very quickly. In SS, even quicker. Only issue with SS is you need to pay attention to your focus meter. If your rotation is sound you should never ever have a focus problem in SS. I don't.

Play around with it. Figure out what is right with your play style. You may find that tweaking your toon's class skills 4r/3b in strength with a sound rotation is for you. You may also discover, (like some others have) that for your play style SS is not for you and PS is the one. Traited 4-5b/2-3r may be better for how you like to play.

There is no wrong set up really. All that matters is... are you getting the job done in a timely efficient manner? And are you having fun doing it? Is the party (if you are grouping, that is a whole different ball game with traits and stances etc) wiping because of you? If the answers are Yes, Yes, No... then you are doing it right.

Like I said and others as well, play around with your class traits and stances. Find what is best for you. And above all enjoy your play time and HAVE FUN!!!