We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Any tips for an old Hunter players?

I'm returning to the game, I played in the Beta test until Mines and left. Came back a little during RoI, but I had to leave again because I was starting college. Now that life has slowed down, I want to get back into the game. My hunter is level 40, so I've got a ways to go to get to max level. What I was hoping for, was any tips for leveling and eventually getting into groups and doing group PvE content.

I remember I was working on my red traits, but I don't know if it's still viable for PvE. I don't even know if it's been changed around a bunch... what kinds of stats should I prioritize and what sort of traits should I be working to get in each area? I'm assuming I'll still need tons of crit...

I know there used to be a sort of armory, but I can't find a link to it so I'll have to wait until I get into the game to post what I've got on now, but if you know where to find it please let me know. My character's name is Geseb on Dwarrowdelf server. Thanks for any help you can offer to an old player!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenonce View Post
    I'm returning to the game, I played in the Beta test until Mines and left. Came back a little during RoI, but I had to leave again because I was starting college. Now that life has slowed down, I want to get back into the game. My hunter is level 40, so I've got a ways to go to get to max level. What I was hoping for, was any tips for leveling and eventually getting into groups and doing group PvE content.

I remember I was working on my red traits, but I don't know if it's still viable for PvE. I don't even know if it's been changed around a bunch... what kinds of stats should I prioritize and what sort of traits should I be working to get in each area? I'm assuming I'll still need tons of crit...

I know there used to be a sort of armory, but I can't find a link to it so I'll have to wait until I get into the game to post what I've got on now, but if you know where to find it please let me know. My character's name is Geseb on Dwarrowdelf server. Thanks for any help you can offer to an old player!
    Welcome back.

First, as most player do ask, don't worry a great deal about armour and traits until you reach the level cap of 85. Do still get quest rewards that reward agility, or something that you like the look of, but don't go out of your way to obtain, for example, a full set of level 65 weapons and armour all fully maxed out, as it will be useless in the next few levels. With that being said, there is an expansion expected to arrive sometime at the end of this year, which will increase the current level cap from 85 - 95, so once you get to level 85, you shouldn't strain yourself too much at getting the best gear.

Red and blue traits are both very viable, either going fully in one line or mixing and matching the two, both work very well. If you enjoy hitting bigger numbers and being a little less mobile, then head for the Red line, but if you enjoy faster inductions and being more mobile in combat, then go for the Blue line.

For a hunter, Crit is still very important, but thankfully our main stat, agility, still provides a fair amount of crit, so as long as you are focusing on agility as a main stat, your crit should be fine.

I'll just say again that there is the upcoming expansion of Helm's Deep which will bring in new level 95 gear before I suggest ways to get level 85 gear: If you do get to level 85 before the expansion and aim to get some good gear, I'd highly recommend acquiring the Riders of Rohan quest pack, which, when you reach level 84, will unlock the village of Hytbold which is the ideal place for all players to acquire very good armour without having to do any groups or raids - it is effectively a place where solo'ers can get good armour. For more information on Hytbold, I recommend this brilliant thread.

For a legendary weapon, you can get a second age weapon which is a great one to get. You can acquire this by acquiring a 'Tarnished Symbol of Celebrimbor' which can be bartered from any Skirmish Camp 'Legendary Items' NPC for a fair amount of marks and medallions. You can earn those marks and medallions either by doing skirmishes or group instances.

Finally, there have been a lot of changes and additions since you left, so I am not sure what this 'armoury' is you speak of.
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

Extremely well summarized, zalladi. I will just add that the "armory" (my.lotro.com) has been discontinued and that the best way to get into groups is to socialize with everyone you group with. They will remember/friend you and be more likely to invite/join you later.

Aye, I'm not too worried about gear and weapons right now, I do want to get a hold of a legendary or two and play with that system, but I've got the wiki page saved so that when I reach the right level (48, I believe?) I'll do the Moria quests.

I planned to purchase all the xpacs as I reach them, while I'm not subbed right now, I do plan to and I'd like to experience the game without any bars. I've also got a Captain in his 30s that I'd like to level in a different path than my Hunter for a little variety. One thing I do like about LOTRO is there is always a lot to do.

Do you have any recommended traits? I'm redlining it for right now, I didn't realize I had 5 red traits opened, and I leveled up to 41 yesterday so I guess I'll be able to get a hold of the legendary trait here soon after I do the Moria Epic books. What I figure I'll be doing is soloing up to 85 since dungeons don't seem to pop up much. What one or two common traits do you think are worth getting? I'm guessing the +agi ones?

I did notice that a new xpac was supposed to be out this Fall, I'm still in college so I figure I'll be able to get my last 40 levels by December. So if it does come out on time, that's not big deal. I don't plan to raid until I'm out of college next summer anyway. I'm sure by then I'll know the game again backwards and forwards. And if I do manage to level fast, I'll just hop on my Captain and work on him too. I doubt I can get 2 guys up in a 5 month period.

For my jewelry and what not, I've noticed there are a lot of secondary stats, and if it doesn't have agi or crit, I've been prioritizing vit since I do manage to get hit a lot as red. Would going a little more blue be easier? I've not got a single yellow trait unlocked so I figure I haven't worked in any of those skills to my rotation.

And thanks for letting me know about my.lotro.com, guess I don't have to worry about people checking me out that way before talking to me when I join a guild. That's my next goal, find a social RP guild, but I'll go trolling through the Dwarrowdelf forums for that kind of stuff. Thanks for the help y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenonce View Post
    What one or two common traits do you think are worth getting? I'm guessing the +agi ones?
    I assume you are referring to Virtues? In that case, the Agility ones aren't going to be terribly helpful. By 85 you'll have upwards of 2,000 Agility -- the additional 20 or so you get from a Virtue won't make any noticeable difference. Where Virtues can help is in stats that you don't normally see much of on gear. Since you are solo, physical and tactical mitigation will mean you get hurt for less. Morale is of course a no-brainer, making Zeal an especially nice one since it gives you both Morale and Physical Mitigation. Innocence and Compassion cover both mitigations. You might look at Idealism for leveling since it gives you resistance (another form of tactical mitigation) and Fate which improves crit rate, and in-combat power and morale. Mind you, these suggestions are for leveling solo -- if you are grouping, then you'll want to use different Virtues.

Aye, I meant virtues. I didn't think about picking up ones with secondaries that I don't see on gear... thanks for that! I'll look into them and get the ones I see in areas I'm in.