We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    I have watched 2 of my buddies farm to r15 on creep and freep respectively, and they are LOL like crazy at these new rules. What I find funny is that all you supposed rank purists see this as a victory, but in reality it is the ultimate defeat. It now confirmed that rank farming was never against the rules, it was confirmed by Sap in this thread.

So essentially the worst of the worst of farming has been over for a long time, and now the rules start at a time when A. This game is deader than elvis, B. PvP is still a joke. and C. All farmed rank has now been legitimized by the community manager by pointing out that you cant go back and punish people for rules that didn't exist.

You realize how bad lotro pvp must have been for people to prefer rank farming to playing when in the moors? Secondly, you realize how frigging stupid it is to require YEARS of constant play to achieve high ranks to begin with?

SWTOR is getting ready to launch an update to the game that is 100% pVp focused, after less than 2 years, lotro hasn't done a pvp update of any real consequence in 6 years.

Swtor has added content, including new raids every couple of months for the last 2 years, lotro has abandoned pve.... for skirmish type big battles.....

Swtor has a store that is making money on a scale that is insane because they put a lot of work into the game. (they are a public company, so they are required to publish revenue) turbine is privately owned which is why they hide (subs, numbers, and revenue)

But there are a slew of other games who have recognized that pvp is what keeps people playing during down times.... and YET here we are, in 6 years, the most important update to pvp that has garnered the biggest response and generated the most news.... is a new rule.... that is a huge fail and until lotro actually makes pvp a priority, this game will always been an after thought in mmos.

Not to mention with the reliance on the scaling system being an excuse to not generate new content, and the use of big battles.... they have alleviated a huge amount of developer time, yet that just means less work, not more content...
    Connomir: Warden of Firefoots Best, Resurrection.
    95s on Farmfoot: Ramapo - Vendortrash
    Farmpaws and Thorvion forever 15, thank turbine.
    A Proud Member of the Forgotten 10%

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcC View Post
    But there are a slew of other games who have recognized that pvp is what keeps people playing during down times....
    ignoring the rest of your irreverent bad statistics. PvE games still work. PvE mmo's still work.

there are more players than don't PvP than who PvP. the market for MMO's is not that competitive. those at the top are the quickest to swap to the next FOTM mmo to become the best. why many newer mmo's are focused on PvP, but gradually move into a nicer balance of PvE to PvP. it costs an extreme amount to make an mmo, it's slowly running, and again, those at the top who dedicate a majority of there playing time swap mmo's quickly between the best expansion they feel. why do you think turbine doesn't advertise much? those gamers know about the game anyway, there audience WILL come back.

if PvP mmo's are so good, why are there almost non completely dedicated to it?

there making a large focal point, but also allow for a vast amount of PvE content for those who hate PvP. and seriously, step out of your warped image that PvP is 90%+ of the gaming community. it's not. it can be very easily look like it but that could be for many other reasons (PvP causes ego's and very vocal players who express themselves much more for example). non of this means the money income is the same.

it's weird you call out SWTOR too. probably the most single-player mmo around. when you concider lotro haven't merged any servers and only the asian server have closed, that makes you wonder how quickly that "good" PvP caused people to leave with the lack of PvE content at the end.
    [CENTER][URL=http://s739.photobucket.com/user/bubushum/media/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png.html][IMG]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/bubushum/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Elderban View Post
    Clarification, if you could...

If someone is multiboxing, say, Reavers and killing said Reavers on their Free People character (Freep), and seeing multi-boxing is not considered a violation of the AUP, TOS, etc., would said action still be considered Rank Farming by the definition in this thread?
    Holy #### people. Lets try and think of every possible situation we can..... and then what if....and then if what if...what if I hit with 2 skills.. ok what about 3... Seriously.... People know when they are farming. Let them face the consequences if they get caught. I can't even finish the thread. too much of people trying to figure out how to push to the line....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000044c4e/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Are there rocks up ahead? if so we will soon be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by bohbashum View Post
    ignoring the rest of your irreverent bad statistics. PvE games still work. PvE mmo's still work.

there are more players than don't PvP than who PvP. the market for MMO's is not that competitive. those at the top are the quickest to swap to the next FOTM mmo to become the best. why many newer mmo's are focused on PvP, but gradually move into a nicer balance of PvE to PvP. it costs an extreme amount to make an mmo, it's slowly running, and again, those at the top who dedicate a majority of there playing time swap mmo's quickly between the best expansion they feel. why do you think turbine doesn't advertise much? those gamers know about the game anyway, there audience WILL come back.

if PvP mmo's are so good, why are there almost non completely dedicated to it?

there making a large focal point, but also allow for a vast amount of PvE content for those who hate PvP. and seriously, step out of your warped image that PvP is 90%+ of the gaming community. it's not. it can be very easily look like it but that could be for many other reasons (PvP causes ego's and very vocal players who express themselves much more for example). non of this means the money income is the same.

it's weird you call out SWTOR too. probably the most single-player mmo around. when you concider lotro haven't merged any servers and only the asian server have closed, that makes you wonder how quickly that "good" PvP caused people to leave with the lack of PvE content at the end.
    LOL Swtor merged servers because they initiated the technology that allowed servers to have multiple instances of fleet, my server has 3 fleets with 150 people in them all times all available to que for a group finder that actually works... but forget swtor. Was just an example. There is NOTHING to do in lotro for months now, its indefensible. Swtor and many other games release something, anything every few weeks.

And lotro not merging servers is not a sign that the game is doing well, in fact they should have done long ago, and refuse to admit defeat.

LOL Swtor merged servers because they initiated the technology that allowed servers to have multiple instances of fleet
    they had that technology at launch. lotro also has this. ESO will be based all around using that technology. it is not at all a measure of how full the servers are too.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...in-two-months/

those number for WoW might be allowed, for swtor, servers died. simple as. 5months after release I think getting an instance on my server, relatively small, was emty formultiple hours.

quote from somewhere else...

"It's a business contributor, while important, is not as important as Medal of Honour or Battlefield or FIFA or Madden or The Sims or SimCity," he said.

yeah... spending 80million to lose +40% in the year after april? yeah great investment! it's nothing like what the same guy said before it was out and just trying to make EA look powerful when it's attempt in the mmo market just turned into another fotm WoW killer. and not at all dedicated PvP game like you seemed to imply.

but forget swtor. Was just an example.
    a very bad one for what your trying to express I think. but tbh, try and find a better one... even the cloestest to PvP dedicated mmo's have large sections for PvE which can take up large majorities of the development cycle.

There is NOTHING to do in lotro for months now, its indefensible. Swtor and many other games release something, anything every few weeks.
    I find it extremely hard you have completed absolutely everything...

lotro regularly has updates too, infact, it's been mentioned a few times by places I listen that it's one of the most consistantly updating games out there.

lotro is trying to please everyone, just because one update wasn't your cup of tea doesn't mean it was useless. takes all sorts to keep mmo's running, not just PvE, not just PvP, not just raiders, not just solo'ers.

it was mentioned AGES AGO the money spent on moors is accuratly a reprasentative of how much they earn from having PvP up and the players who go there. again, mentioned a while ago, the statistic of people PvP'ing is under 5% of the player base. probably less than 1% is exclusively PvP'ing.

the huge class revamps will juggle round PvMP balances, so, there is a massive update for PvP there tbh. we've regularly seen little balancing changes. we've had massive chunks of map changes including OP's removing banners and delving area. we've had creeps fly in and out of potency and HUGE balancing flips (like U9 to U10). we've had a new creep class, new creep mechanics, new creep skills, new creep corruptions, new stat balancing, some chunky amount of set skins too. so don't say there hasn't been a PvMP update! sure, it's not been as much as PvE, but neither has many games. even dedicated PvP games have less updates than lotro, TF2 hasn't changed too much when I look back tbh :/ especially over the last 3 years.

lotro not merging servers is not a sign that the game is doing well, in fact they should have done long ago, and refuse to admit defeat.
    it's also not a sign of the other. so it's just blind assumtions to believe any of that.
    [CENTER][URL=http://s739.photobucket.com/user/bubushum/media/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png.html][IMG]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/bubushum/signiturepre1_zps427684ba.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

SWTOR is getting ready to launch an update to the game that is 100% pVp focused, after less than 2 years, lotro hasn't done a pvp update of any real consequence in 6 years.

Swtor has added content, including new raids every couple of months for the last 2 years, lotro has abandoned pve.... for skirmish type big battles.....

Swtor has a store that is making money on a scale that is insane because they put a lot of work into the game. (they are a public company, so they are required to publish revenue) turbine is privately owned which is why they hide (subs, numbers, and revenue)
    lol So glad I had nothing in my mouth to spew or choke over. You do realize SWTOR was so unbelievably underwhelming that it nearly went belly-up, right? SWTOR is barely keeping its head from the chopping block. SWTOR NEEDS to introduce new content constantly just to keep people coming back. They've had to do this almost from day 1 because of how lame the game is. LOTRO on the other hand releases new or updated content only on a periodical basis, because it already has a strong playerbase. LOTRO doesn't need a bunch of new gadgets. SWTOR on the other hand has new updates every 2-3 weeks, most of which has to do with new store sales, etc. That game is so P2W... "Swtor has a store that is making money on a scale that is insane because they put a lot of work into the game"... um, no, they put a lot of work into the store... All EA cares about is money. All of these companies need to make money, but SWTOR is the first MMO that comes to my mind when I think about how little the company cares about its players.

Besides, PvE players far outweigh the PvP players. Most players of MMO's these days are f2pers (or piece-meal players), and of them most generally lean towards a more solo approach to these games. That's why so many games are now going f2p (SWTOR went f2p as a survival mechanism, while other games such as Neverwinter and EverQuest Next are f2p right from the start). Piece-meal really appeals to a lot of the MMO playerbases.

LOL Swtor merged servers because they initiated the technology that allowed servers to have multiple instances of fleet, my server has 3 fleets with 150 people in them all times all available to que for a group finder that actually works... but forget swtor. Was just an example. There is NOTHING to do in lotro for months now, its indefensible. Swtor and many other games release something, anything every few weeks.

And lotro not merging servers is not a sign that the game is doing well, in fact they should have done long ago, and refuse to admit defeat.
    /rotfl

SWTOR merged servers because they were dying.

Pretty much, Bohbashum has hit the nail on the head.

SWTOR better than LOTRO?... *busts a rib laughing at the absurdity of it*
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

I think anyone's estimation of how good a game is or is not is based on what they enjoy out of it.

I have enjoyed lotro for several years, have multiple level capped characters, and the game has gone steadily downhill for me the past year. I no longer pre-purchase content, I use tp gained from my lifetime account. I no longer spend actual $$ on tp because I don't believe in throwing good money after other money. Lack of what *I* believe to be well designed and executed group instances and actual raids is killing this for me. The move to solo for the best stuff and pay to win in the store is sealing the deal.

Turbine doesn't join servers because entire kinships would be disbanded, multiple characters would need to be renamed, there would be a lot of dissatisfaction by people who could no longer have their same house, all sorts of the intangibles that make it special to them. Plus the lag alone in some of the areas even on quiet servers (I play on Gladden) tells you adding more people isn't the answer.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

you cant go back and punish people for rules that didn't exist.
    Turbine can punish whoever they want for anything they want, but it seems they tend to chose to err on the side of not punishing those who mistakenly got involved in this rather murky issue.

Moors Rank Farming was NEVER intended gameplay. It just got muddled by a lack of/impracticality of enforcement and long years of bad information given to players by....other players.

Turbine obviously rightly feels that it would not be fair to punish players who are engaging in activities without knowingly doing so.

Yes there are some that laugh and say "I got away with it", but that doesn't raise my opinion of them (and I doubt they care).

No, you are right, there was never a specific rule that explicitly said "do not farm".

There will never be a "rule" for every stupid thing players can think of to do. Turbine simply could not anticipate all of them.

To some, not doing this was common sense and I applaud them.

Quote Originally Posted by EmyrSelyf View Post

Moors Rank Farming was NEVER intended gameplay. It just got muddled by a lack of/impracticality of enforcement and long years of bad information given to players by....other players.
    Impracticality... please. Everyone knew and knows what rank farming is and that it wasn't intended game play including turbine. The notion that all of a sudden turbine can now adopt a policy and enforce it is laughable at best. What new mechanism is in place that ensures they have a -practical- method of enforcement? I know youre on the players council, and I think youre a hell of a PvP player too but please spoon feed this #### to the pie eyed "I cant wait for helms deep" crowd. You've been in the PvP arena long enough, everyone knows when you run multiple clients and your on one killing another its rank farming, particularly when videos and pictures exsist. On one server I PvP on we have a guy who has 17 reavers that run around and spam impale on people. That's intended game play? Wheres the bad info there? Was it that he has 17 clients running at the same time? Turbine owns a big chunk of this problem and the fact it went on for years with no recourse for the PvP player base is a creadability issue for them. Its devalued ranks and otherwised tarnished the play of the rest of us who played the game as intended. Players own it too, a lot of us kept going out despite this, we should have held turbine accountable and canceled our subs. Its a ###### choice to have to do that, but yep that parts on the players. Turbine is way late on this, they don't get a pat on back for "better late then never" IMHO. Players who earned their ranks playing the game as intended should be disgusted it took them so long and frankly should be alarmed that a player of your stature is defending them on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitholean View Post
    This is a huge issue. On Snowbourn, I have so many videos and screenshots of people who have farmed ranks. We have a rank 15, a rank 14, numerous rank 13/12/11s and lower ranks that if the GMs accepted I could show you. So the guy who clubbed 1m in a week for R15 is allowed to get away with it? The r11 who uses bots to club (next level clubbing) and I have a 4 minute video to prove can get away with it?

Please rethink the "not retroactive" part.
    Barn door is now locked, sadly horses have already been stolen.

As soon as the next level 1st agers were announced as available to the high rank freeps, rather like the 2nd agers were previously, the farming (which was bad enough before) became rampant. It may stop now, but for those of us who didn't farm we watched those who did get what they want with no consequence. As the one person posted, his friend farmer had a good laugh at this.

Appreciate the effort. Just so late in the game as to not matter in many ways.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

people forget this, but the rating system was impimented to stop rank farming. over time however the potency of how much is lost on death is decreased a lot and it's not doing it job.

ofc it doesn't solve the issue, but forcing someone to make a new reaver every 10 kills makes it harder and much more obvious to devs.

I can't find the quote anymore but it said something a long the lines on the origanel ettenmoors developer diary "people will cheat, we won't be able to stop that. so hopefully this will make it harder and deter people away from doing it"

Quote Originally Posted by Thorgrum View Post
    Impracticality... please. Everyone knew and knows what rank farming is and that it wasn't intended game play including turbine. The notion that all of a sudden turbine can now adopt a policy and enforce it is laughable at best. What new mechanism is in place that ensures they have a -practical- method of enforcement? I know youre on the players council, and I think youre a hell of a PvP player too but please spoon feed this #### to the pie eyed "I cant wait for helms deep" crowd. You've been in the PvP arena long enough, everyone knows when you run multiple clients and your on one killing another its rank farming, particularly when videos and pictures exsist. On one server I PvP on we have a guy who has 17 reavers that run around and spam impale on people. That's intended game play? Wheres the bad info there? Was it that he has 17 clients running at the same time? Turbine owns a big chunk of this problem and the fact it went on for years with no recourse for the PvP player base is a creadability issue for them. Its devalued ranks and otherwised tarnished the play of the rest of us who played the game as intended. Players own it too, a lot of us kept going out despite this, we should have held turbine accountable and canceled our subs. Its a ###### choice to have to do that, but yep that parts on the players. Turbine is way late on this, they don't get a pat on back for "better late then never" IMHO. Players who earned their ranks playing the game as intended should be disgusted it took them so long and frankly should be alarmed that a player of your stature is defending them on it.

I'm not defending that part of it, so although I'd like to have some fun here, I'm afraid I agree with you. I simply defend the overall philosophy of not punishing the one person who didn't really understand, just to get at all the ones who did. Now it is out and there can be no mistakes. "I didn't know" or "My kin leader said it was ok" is not a good excuse. Do I dislike that there are Rank 15s running around who probably didn't earn almost all of it the way it was intended to be earned? Yes.

I'm sure they had to develop some things and train people. It was impractical without that.
    I wish they had done this years ago, however. I'm not sure I understand why they didn't. We have never been a priority, for long.

I agree that the cows are out of the barn, but as we get new cows, we shouldn't let them get out of the barn as well.

``````````````````````````````
    The 17 reavers are up to more reavers I hear actually, but that's a different discussion.

I can deal with multi-boxing when it is reasonable. I don't like, but I can live with, someone boxing a couple of clients even in the moors. Just find a group and kill them.

Seventeen, however, is extreme for the number of players we have on many servers to contend with. I would rather it be out of the Moors entirely, but if they insist on letting it continue in the moors, I feel a limit is needed.

Personally, I think it is a good start.

However, I dont really agree with 1v1 circles, not because of the rank farming, but because it is against the spirit and lore of the game.

Orcs etc dont stand around in circles with men, elves or hobbits etc. It is against the story of LOTR.

Maybe they should make the Ettenmoors one server for US and one for EU. All creeps freeps log into the same one, then there would be plenty of action.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208010000052f5f/signature.png]Venomous[/charsig]

Talking Thank Balrog!!!

Thank goodness that this has been solved

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    lol So glad I had nothing in my mouth to spew or choke over. You do realize SWTOR was so unbelievably underwhelming that it nearly went belly-up, right? SWTOR is barely keeping its head from the chopping block. SWTOR NEEDS to introduce new content constantly just to keep people coming back. They've had to do this almost from day 1 because of how lame the game is. LOTRO on the other hand releases new or updated content only on a periodical basis, because it already has a strong playerbase. LOTRO doesn't need a bunch of new gadgets. SWTOR on the other hand has new updates every 2-3 weeks, most of which has to do with new store sales, etc. That game is so P2W... "Swtor has a store that is making money on a scale that is insane because they put a lot of work into the game"... um, no, they put a lot of work into the store... All EA cares about is money. All of these companies need to make money, but SWTOR is the first MMO that comes to my mind when I think about how little the company cares about its players.

Besides, PvE players far outweigh the PvP players. Most players of MMO's these days are f2pers (or piece-meal players), and of them most generally lean towards a more solo approach to these games. That's why so many games are now going f2p (SWTOR went f2p as a survival mechanism, while other games such as Neverwinter and EverQuest Next are f2p right from the start). Piece-meal really appeals to a lot of the MMO playerbases.

/rotfl

SWTOR merged servers because they were dying.

Pretty much, Bohbashum has hit the nail on the head.

SWTOR better than LOTRO?... *busts a rib laughing at the absurdity of it*

Clearly you've never played swtor. The Cartel Market has cosmetics, mounts, color crystals and other silly fun things that give no bonus to anything other than the look of an item or a pet of some kind, like lotro, the store has been careful NOT to be pay to win, GG though, I guess Ignorance is bliss.

Maybe at 95 we can all group up to run school and library again for the 5th level cap... yeah lotro is epic LOL, or we could run sambrog again... or maybe they will just scale Barad Gularen to 95 and call it new pve content...

I have never seen a group of developers abuse a scaling system as bad as turbine to avoid making new content.

Quote Originally Posted by SabrielofLorien View Post
    Multiboxing is permitted and not a violation.
    But it should be since it's another form of abuse.

It is cheating and people who do that are just ruining the fun in the moors for everyone. They should be perma-banned, end of story.
    Palesinik, Brandywine Epic Gambler Burg

Quote Originally Posted by Simon23 View Post

It is cheating and people who do that are just ruining the fun in the moors for everyone. They should be perma-banned, end of story.
    Except it's not cheating, because Turbine has already released their policy on that.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

I'm not defending that part of it, so although I'd like to have some fun here, I'm afraid I agree with you. I simply defend the overall philosophy of not punishing the one person who didn't really understand, just to get at all the ones who did. Now it is out and there can be no mistakes. "I didn't know" or "My kin leader said it was ok" is not a good excuse. Do I dislike that there are Rank 15s running around who probably didn't earn almost all of it the way it was intended to be earned? Yes.

I'm sure they had to develop some things and train people. It was impractical without that.
    I wish they had done this years ago, however. I'm not sure I understand why they didn't. We have never been a priority, for long.

I agree that the cows are out of the barn, but as we get new cows, we shouldn't let them get out of the barn as well.

``````````````````````````````
    The 17 reavers are up to more reavers I hear actually, but that's a different discussion.

I can deal with multi-boxing when it is reasonable. I don't like, but I can live with, someone boxing a couple of clients even in the moors. Just find a group and kill them.

Seventeen, however, is extreme for the number of players we have on many servers to contend with. I would rather it be out of the Moors entirely, but if they insist on letting it continue in the moors, I feel a limit is needed.
    We disagree I suppose on the degree of the one person who didn't understand. This isn't an issue that cropped up suddenly, its been well documented over a good breadth of time. I find allowing ignorance as an acceptable excuse for breaking a rule (intended game play section of the prior TOS) to be a mistake and one that, yet again, erodes credibility. I understand your point of view, I don't think its necessarily misplaced in terms of the player, but for the product and the company its a mistake. Lotro PvP and its ranks and rewards will be tarnished by this for a long long time. For the most part, rank is meaningless now beyond the buff. Sure, we don't make up a great deal of the population and I get the economics of not being able to do things in the past. However I dislike the "Customer Service can identify this behavior and will take the appropriate action on both accounts involved, based on our findings." jargon its almost as if they think we might believe they couldn't do it before. That's the rub here, there is no "we dropped the ball". That lack of ownership is a problem and its one of the reasons why its hard to take them seriously when they have new product offerings outside of PvP. Regardless, at least they allow people to vent on their forums, +1 for that but its mostly meaningless now anyway. Most PvP players have known for a long time what they think isn't that important. Here's hoping they make millions of helms, im sure it will be spectacular....

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Except it's not cheating, because Turbine has already released their policy on that.
    Because they said so doesn't mean that it's true. Explain to me how controlling 8 characters to one-shot people using some kind of program is not cheating. Good luck.

How come people still defend this behavior that is clearly an abuse?
    Palesinik, Brandywine Epic Gambler Burg

Because they said so doesn't mean that it's true. Explain to me how controlling 8 characters to one-shot people using some kind of program is not cheating. Good luck.

How come people still defend this behavior that is clearly an abuse?
    Who said I agreed with their decision?
    Unfortunately, what we as the players think doesn't tend to dictate Turbine policy, so it doesn't matter if you or I think it's cheating or not, because as far as the game goes, it's not.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Muskratus View Post
    However, I dont really agree with 1v1 circles, not because of the rank farming, but because it is against the spirit and lore of the game.

Orcs etc dont stand around in circles with men, elves or hobbits etc. It is against the story of LOTR.
    Actually it isn't against lore. Races of the freeps (men, elves, dwarves and hobbits) aside, the actual act of 1v1 while others stand and watch (or while those others are in the heat of battle themselves) is something that many battles are famous for. Kids in a schoolyard cheering in a circle as two kids wrestle. Jedi Master vs Sith Lord while stormtroopers look on. Dragon-rider vs dragon-rider locked in battle over the field of war. Lord of the Nazgul vs shieldmaiden on another field of war (with the Riders rendered helpless about them). King of Rohan vs orc chieftain.

Théoden King of the Mark had reached the road from the Gate to the River, and he turned towards the City that was now less than a mile distant. He slackened his speed a little, seeking new foes, and his knights came about him, and Dernhelm was with them. Ahead nearer the walls Elfhelm's men were among the siege-engines, hewing, slaying, driving their foes into the fire-pits. Well nigh all the northern half of the Pelennor was overrun, and there camps were blazing, orcs were flying towards the River like herds before the hunters; and the Rohirrim went hither and thither at their will. But they had not yet overthrown the siege, nor won the Gate. Many foes stood before it, and on the further half of the plain were other hosts still unfought. Southward beyond the road lay the main force of the Haradrim, and there their horsemen were gathered about the standard of their chieftain. And he looked out, and in the growing light he saw the banner of the king, and that it was far ahead of the battle with few men about it. Then he was filled with a red wrath and shouted aloud, and displaying his standard, black serpent upon scarlet, he came against the white horse and the green with great press of men; and the drawing of the scimitars of the Southrons was like a glitter of stars.

Then Théoden was aware of him, and would not wait for his onset, but crying to Snowmane he charged headlong to greet him. Great was the clash of their meeting. But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest. Right through the press drove Théoden Thengel's son, and his spear was shivered as he threw down their chieftain. Out swept his sword, and he spurred to the standard, hewed staff and bearer; and the black serpent foundered. Then all that was left unslain of their cavalry turned and fled far away.

~The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, RotK
    The act of one Hero set against one Villain, with the rage of battle around them or the rest of the armies standing still and watching, is one that just about every story of war includes at least once.

Clearly you've never played swtor. The Cartel Market has cosmetics, mounts, color crystals and other silly fun things that give no bonus to anything other than the look of an item or a pet of some kind, like lotro, the store has been careful NOT to be pay to win, GG though, I guess Ignorance is bliss.

Maybe at 95 we can all group up to run school and library again for the 5th level cap... yeah lotro is epic LOL, or we could run sambrog again... or maybe they will just scale Barad Gularen to 95 and call it new pve content...

I have never seen a group of developers abuse a scaling system as bad as turbine to avoid making new content.
    lol Actually, I have played SWTOR. I was a member of SWTOR for a long time before the game even released. I also played both original games before EA stuck its fingers into the pie.

The Cartel Market has this thing called "Artifact Equipment Authorization". Any non-VIP player cannot equip the purple artifact gear unless they own that authorization. There are only two ways of obtaining it:

1) paying $$$ to get CC to then purchase the authorization from the Cartel Market (ie: P2W)
    or
    2) paying credits on the GTN to purchase the unlock there (again, while that route means the person didn't pay $$$, someone in the game DID have to pay $$$ in order to get the unlock from the Market and put it in the GTN).

Without artifact gear, players will find themselves incredibly under-geared for just about anything. If that isn't P2W... well, there just is no way around it. SWTOR IS P2W. In LOTRO, it would be like using only the green-backed gear we get from killing mobs, instead of the purple or blue-backed items we get from crafting, questing, raiding, etc.

What's more, players can't even reach level-cap without paying $$$ for the recent expansion (source: HERE). They can only reach lvl 50. SWTOR's so-called "F2P" method is just a glorified version of their previous trial offer. Whereas in LOTRO, players can get all the way to level-cap for free, they can get every bit of gear for free, they can earn enough TPs in-game to buy anything from the LOTRO store for free, and LOTRO has just as much fluff as any other game out there.

It is only a form of abuse if they are not controlling all their characters equally. Bobby Fischer used to play himself in chess, and he would play both sides of the board equally and fairly. He would literally try to "beat himself". So long as the multi-boxers are playing all their toons as hard as they can, it is not a violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Actually it isn't against lore. Races of the freeps (men, elves, dwarves and hobbits) aside, the actual act of 1v1 while others stand and watch (or while those others are in the heat of battle themselves) is something that many battles are famous for. Kids in a schoolyard cheering in a circle as two kids wrestle. Jedi Master vs Sith Lord while stormtroopers look on. Dragon-rider vs dragon-rider locked in battle over the field of war. Lord of the Nazgul vs shieldmaiden on another field of war (with the Riders rendered helpless about them). King of Rohan vs orc chieftain.

The act of one Hero set against one Villain, with the rage of battle around them or the rest of the armies standing still and watching, is one that just about every story of war includes at least once.

lol Actually, I have played SWTOR. I was a member of SWTOR for a long time before the game even released. I also played both original games before EA stuck its fingers into the pie.

The Cartel Market has this thing called "Artifact Equipment Authorization". Any non-VIP player cannot equip the purple artifact gear unless they own that authorization. There are only two ways of obtaining it:

1) paying $$$ to get CC to then purchase the authorization from the Cartel Market (ie: P2W)
    or
    2) paying credits on the GTN to purchase the unlock there (again, while that route means the person didn't pay $$$, someone in the game DID have to pay $$$ in order to get the unlock from the Market and put it in the GTN).

Without artifact gear, players will find themselves incredibly under-geared for just about anything. If that isn't P2W... well, there just is no way around it. SWTOR IS P2W. In LOTRO, it would be like using only the green-backed gear we get from killing mobs, instead of the purple or blue-backed items we get from crafting, questing, raiding, etc.

What's more, players can't even reach level-cap without paying $$$ for the recent expansion (source: HERE). They can only reach lvl 50. SWTOR's so-called "F2P" method is just a glorified version of their previous trial offer. Whereas in LOTRO, players can get all the way to level-cap for free, they can get every bit of gear for free, they can earn enough TPs in-game to buy anything from the LOTRO store for free, and LOTRO has just as much fluff as any other game out there.

It is only a form of abuse if they are not controlling all their characters equally. Bobby Fischer used to play himself in chess, and he would play both sides of the board equally and fairly. He would literally try to "beat himself". So long as the multi-boxers are playing all their toons as hard as they can, it is not a violation.
    What a horrendous misrepresentation of swtor from a person who clearly has not played since it went ftp.

Yes LOtro lets you get to cap, BUT you need to buy moria to quest there, buy mw to quest there, buy ror to quest there etc...... Everyone charges for expacs, SWTOR gave us 5 more levels and a new planet, 2 new raids and 5 more 4 mans for $9.99. And swtor gives you access to full quests and story lines to lvl 50, not bad for free.

Pay to win for unlocking the ABILITY to wear gear, you still have to earn it, and artifact is lvl 53 gear, not even cap gear, so it is useless for anyone besides questers.

You are clueless, stick to what you know, not what you read somewhere and misinterpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by CSM_River View Post
    Hello, I’m River, Customer Service Manager at Turbine.

For some time now, the Customer Service team has been reading your comments and thoughts regarding “rank farming’. Together with the Developers, Community team, and players council we have come up with a clear, official definition and policy regarding “rank farming” in the Ettenmoors.

“Rank Farming” is officially defined as the intentional surrender of your character to an enemy; resulting in a purposeful defeat and a gain of Infamy or renown to increase rank. Rank Farming is specific to Ettenmoors PvMP (Freep vs. Monster Player). The enemy can be controlled by any player - either the same player controlling the surrendering character, or someone else.

Participation in Rank Farming is an abuse of our game mechanics, and against our rules. Customer Service can identify this behavior and will take the appropriate action on both accounts involved, based on our findings. This activity can also be reported to the in-game staff for review.

This policy is effective immediately and is *not retroactive*. We will not be taking action on previous potential violations. Any reports filed should be of actions witnessed after the publication of this policy.

Please remember that we have multiple ways to verify players are participating in this behavior. Additionally, players who frequently report others falsely may also be subject to disciplinary action for harassment.
    Glad to read this, but, honestly, too late, many top ranks made by that way, and :not retroactive: ??? Turbine are pretty much money collectors, but not serious, still remember on past times, Codemasters, when people made "Rank Farming" re-adjusted infractor's Rank to 0, Obviously is not at all "just" because "Rank Farmers" still needs a hard punish for interrupting the game fairness, anyways, sad to see you care about "Rank Farmers" when most people are ranking ALTS, sad to see your actions are always too late, just when Money Bags start to begin smaller & smaller. Honestly I'm not happy with this rule, smells more not make customer's angry but actions done SHOULD be punished, in other terms is just a waste of time, so sad.... [I'm wondering now about Ragit & others, is time to play PvMP?? or It's Dojo time and wait for Turbine to remove the Ultimate Rule....]
    Yuzuriha GDN R10 (Retired @ 2012 ) - Farruquita BA R12 Leader of "Sauron Loves Spain" (Evernight - since the beginning)

Thumbs down A few years late, hundreds of dollars short...

This feels like trying to stick a baby band-aid with some anti-septic on it on a wide, infected, deep wound. It's a nice try, but I'm afraid it's pretty late to bring that out, and farmers beforehand are having the last laugh, most likely.

I do use a freaver on a secondary account, but if anything, simple item transferring from creep to creep when I don't seem to have any trusting help to transfer quest items over to something like my defiler that can't kill trees as quick that my warg and spider can easily solo(you can never have enough logs, especially enough heartwood). Or I have a surplus of race drops and dar-gazag turn-ins that I can give to my defiler. Frankly speaking, my handy Handpurse isn't leaving grams, period.
    ||Riddermark||
    .: Legacy of Arnor, Freepaphiles :.

What a horrendous misrepresentation of swtor from a person who clearly has not played since it went ftp.

Yes LOtro lets you get to cap, BUT you need to buy moria to quest there, buy mw to quest there, buy ror to quest there etc...... Everyone charges for expacs, SWTOR gave us 5 more levels and a new planet, 2 new raids and 5 more 4 mans for $9.99. And swtor gives you access to full quests and story lines to lvl 50, not bad for free.

Pay to win for unlocking the ABILITY to wear gear, you still have to earn it, and artifact is lvl 53 gear, not even cap gear, so it is useless for anyone besides questers.

You are clueless, stick to what you know, not what you read somewhere and misinterpreted.
    Played SWTOR before F2P.

No expansions must be purchased at all to reach level cap for LOTRO. Those expansions are optional. If you feel the compulsion to buy them and/or can't stand the grind without them... well, whatever. Heck, you can reach level cap by sitting in the Bree Craft Hall processing ingots.

SWTOR is the first "F2P" MMO I've ever played that charges people just to reach max level. The $10 only applies to VIPers. For non-VIPers it costs $20. All for 1 single planet.

Artifact gear, raid gear, event gear -- all require unlocks. Event gear actually requires a second unlock.

I have played both games extensively with multiple level-cap toons on both of them, but I don't think anything I'm saying (or really anyone else here is saying) is going to make any difference. So I guess there is nothing for me to do is agree to disagree, and if you don't want to do that... well, that's your choice. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
    Glad to read this, but, honestly, too late, many top ranks made by that way, and :not retroactive: ???
    It really burns for those who've earned their rank fair and square, meanwhile watching higher-ranked people (who, at least on my server, often seem to be trolls as well) getting all the goods. That said, I'm not sure how ethical it would be to try and retrospectively enforce new rules. Yes, I think most of the people in this thread can agree that we WANT to enforce them retrospectively, but, well... it would be like having a road with no signs. You go along at neck-break speed that most everyone else hates. Then a new rule pops up with a much slower speed limit. Technically, the people going at high speeds previously didn't commit any wrongdoing. If they continue, then yes they are breaking the law. But you can't break a law if it didn't even exist.
    Last edited by Mar-Evayave; Sep 01 2013 at 09:24 PM.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast