We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Accurately choose run speeds??

I'm new to War Steeds and i'm having a bit of a problem. There are 4 different speeds, Walk, Trot, Canter and Gallop. For the life of me, I can not accurately get the steed to "up shift" or "down shift" one speed at a time.

I understand you have to tap the key fairly quickly because holding W goes straight into a Gallop, likewise if you press S twice it quickly it will come to a complete stop. For the life of me when i tap W or S it jumps 2-3 speeds and I can hardly ever get it to "up shift" or "down shift" one speed at a time.

This becomes a serious pita when navigating accurately and not looking like a 5 year old driving a remote control car. It's not just me either, my Fiance' has the exact same problem.

I know the "walk" button toggles each speed but once again, you can't press it too fast or you'll get stuck in a low gear while it says wait because you're pressing it too fast lol.

So what's the deal, Is this a known issue?

Players began asking for this from day one warsteeds appeared.

I've had my war steed since Rohan came out, the speed control was manageable with some practice. However, since update 11.3 the speed control has become much more difficult. Has anyone else noticed the change?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger53 View Post
    I've had my war steed since Rohan came out, the speed control was manageable with some practice. However, since update 11.3 the speed control has become much more difficult. Has anyone else noticed the change?
    Yea definitely, since 11.3 my warsteed pretty much always jumps from stop to full speed and back. It never was easy to get the proper speed, but now it's just impossible. Not to mention it likes to spontaneously go into either full speed or halt when you make a small jump, deliberately or involuntarily by some terrain bump.

I've always had the opposite on mine ever since the start.

It's a light steed and I find that tapping the key once will cause my War-steed to walk a couple of steps and then stop, I have to tap it 2-3 times or hold it down for a moment to just get it to walk.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

A lot of things about warsteeds feel really well done. At any particular speed, it really does act pretty naturally. But the ramp up/down of speeds....that's a total CF.

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    Yea definitely, since 11.3 my warsteed pretty much always jumps from stop to full speed and back. It never was easy to get the proper speed, but now it's just impossible. Not to mention it likes to spontaneously go into either full speed or halt when you make a small jump, deliberately or involuntarily by some terrain bump.
    That describes my experience well. 11.3 did slightly reduce the rubber banding issues but screwed up speed control and I now often cannot get the steed to turn at all until i stop (in the middle of MC) and start again. Sometimes I have to do this several times b4 it works.

no problems

I havent had any problems with controling my speed. I rebound my speed change from Num-Lock to my X key and toggle it thru to the speed i want without any glitches. Hit the number 1 key when i want to stop. My horse is generally very well-behaved unless I'm distracted by something, like digging into the chip bowl, and forget to hit the right key.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000008800/01004/signature.png]Lallie[/charsig]

Agreed. It seems that no matter how lightly I tap Forward or Back, I can't control what speed the horse ends up going. I hit Forward, sometimes it walks, sometimes it gallops. I hit Backward, sometimes the speed drops back to a trot, sometimes to a walk, sometimes it stops entirely. The only way I can control it, as far as I have found, is to hit Walk ( then Forward (I) then ; the I then ; then I, and that seems farcical.

Turbine, how about separate keybinds for the four speeds? Or at least make the forward and back keys a lot less sensitive?

Also, who came up with the idea that every time I jump the speed always goes straight to galloping, regardless of what it was before?

Click on your Insert key which will toggle it thru Walk, trot, gallop, etc speeds

I ended up clicking on the setting in the options menu to stop the horse when I release the forward button (cant remember what it was called). I got tired of messing with trying to get the right speed.