We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,067

    Question Missing Forum "Log In" button

    I have having this issue this morning, tried refreshing to no avail, closed and re-opened browser.

    Had to use a "Reply" button on the thread to force the log in screen to appear.

    I have PM'd Cordovan, but there is no link to the Web Admin to report issues.

    After days of reasonable speed, this morning the forum server is dog slow at loading the home screen, over 30 seconds for the initial load - I could see it responding to each TLS handshake, it was THAT slow.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    I have having this issue this morning, tried refreshing to no avail, closed and re-opened browser.

    Had to use a "Reply" button on the thread to force the log in screen to appear.

    I have PM'd Cordovan, but there is no link to the Web Admin to report issues.

    After days of reasonable speed, this morning the forum server is dog slow at loading the home screen, over 30 seconds for the initial load - I could see it responding to each TLS handshake, it was THAT slow.
    I started having this problem last night (about 8 hours ago). Thanks for the tip about using Reply to get a login screen.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by ingo2 View Post
    I started having this problem last night (about 8 hours ago). Thanks for the tip about using Reply to get a login screen.
    No reply from Cordo, and still no log in button; this is not good; do you think anyone is paying attention??


    Anyone still able to log in as normal, is this a geographic, server or general issue??

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    No reply from Cordo, and still no log in button; this is not good; do you think anyone is paying attention??


    Anyone still able to log in as normal, is this a geographic, server or general issue??
    I'm in the UK and can see the Log In button at the top of the screen. Didn't use it. I just hit reply with quote, which is mostly how I log in anyway. Also, the forum is running smoothly for me at the mo'.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    I'm in the UK and can see the Log In button at the top of the screen. Didn't use it. I just hit reply with quote, which is mostly how I log in anyway. Also, the forum is running smoothly for me at the mo'.
    OK, I will log out and see if it has been fixed, or if the error is only affecting some of us.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    OK, I will log out and see if it has been fixed, or if the error is only affecting some of us.
    No links for me to log in, either.

    The only way I could find to log in was to attempt to reply to your post.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    205
    I'm having the same problem. I've had to hit the "Reply with Quote" for the login to appear.

  8. #8
    I'm having the same problem. I've had to hit the "Reply with Quote" for the login to appear. And I am in the UK.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East coast, USA
    Posts
    2,018
    The forums have acted all sorts of strange for a while. Sometimes that login button will be missing and it comes back when I refresh, or 50% of the time it will tell me that the page can't be found, then it loads anyway.

    I use this as my link to the forum. That way, the login is there if needed and I can see right away if there are updates on posts for me to read:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/usercp.php

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    OK, I will log out and see if it has been fixed, or if the error is only affecting some of us.
    Nope, still missing; what OS are you using?? I am Win7.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Nope, still missing; what OS are you using?? I am Win7.
    Win 10 with latest version of Firefox.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    The forums have acted all sorts of strange for a while. Sometimes that login button will be missing and it comes back when I refresh, or 50% of the time it will tell me that the page can't be found, then it loads anyway.
    Yeah, recurrent thing for me in the last months...

    Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    257
    Just had this issue for the first time today. Had to use reply before I could log-in
    Yes, I know it's a Rabbit: they don't have a Hedgehog.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,471
    Quote Originally Posted by farmhand99 View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I've had to hit the "Reply with Quote" for the login to appear.

    Same for me too.

    Maybe it's to help the gold spammers go directly to the register new account page.

    Shoddy Shambles Games

    They're a laughing stock and don't know it.

    Mac
    See my Lotro gaming videos:
    Macdui on Youtube.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,084
    Same here the login button is missing the only workaround to login was view someones profile or reply button takes you to login page.
    Last edited by Pontin_Finnberry; Feb 03 2018 at 04:36 PM.
    Pontin Level 115 Hobbit Burglar Kinship Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server. Staff member of the Lord of the Rings Discord Server, and Owner of Middle-Earth Lore discord.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.


    Here's some of my Screenshots Throughout Middle Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    360
    So I was not alone with this problem.

  17. #17
    Happened to me today for the first time. I blamed it on poor connection/usual forum hiccups but neither refreshing nor using a different network helped.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,067
    I tried PM'ing Cordo, but he hasnt logged in in over 24 hours, I have tried reporting it, but got nothing but an automated reply.

    Last possibility is the SSG Server admin from the Whois page, but I doubt we would get much from that - assuming it works.

    Omni-shambles is the politest way of saying it; perhaps if we all swear a lot, someone will notice the thread and respond......

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    KZN, South Africa
    Posts
    20

    Thumbs up

    Thanks very much for this thread, Yarbro, as I've just experienced this problem too, and am relieved to discover that it isn't just me! Also, thanks for the "Reply with Quote" tip. (For general info, I live in South Africa and use Firefox on Win 7.)
    : Padrof ge vi haid vyrn, ach ist câl erin vên vîn :
    We may walk in dark places, but knowledge lights our way

  20. #20
    There's a CSS rule that's hiding it. But after looking at a couple other classes and their rules, that particular rule doesn't seem necessary since its parent class hides it when a user is logged in anyway.

    But in the meantime, the login link is: https://www.lotro.com/en/auth/login
    ______________________________
    Gentoo [WRD] · Adilae [CHM] · Svenrisa [BRG] · Svengo [HNT]
    Easily Amused · Gladden

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by SvenNiscadae View Post
    There's a CSS rule that's hiding it. But after looking at a couple other classes and their rules, that particular rule doesn't seem necessary since its parent class hides it when a user is logged in anyway.

    But in the meantime, the login link is: https://www.lotro.com/en/auth/login
    Thanks, I will try that link later. As for the CSS issue, could it be a new code addition? I havent had any software updates that could cause an issue (FireFox); when it started - and ever since, the Forums are taking a long time to load, after several days of being really fast to load.

    I tried clicking where it should be, in case it was just invisible, but still nothing.

    I have had a reply from the bug report saying they are aware of the issue, however I dont know if this was just a generic reply, or if they actually have a clue.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Laurelin
    Posts
    2,241
    Same for me, the 'Log In' button on top of the page is gone and the only way to get into the forum is to reply to a thread.

    If you want people to take past in the community and share surely you must fix this, otherwise it looks like you are trying to discourage people from coming to the forums.
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,067
    Ok, logged out and cleared my browser, then tried Svens link and it works, so saved it to Bookmarks, to use until they fix the issue.

    Thanks Sven!!

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    I have having this issue this morning, tried refreshing to no avail, closed and re-opened browser.

    Had to use a "Reply" button on the thread to force the log in screen to appear.

    I have PM'd Cordovan, but there is no link to the Web Admin to report issues.

    After days of reasonable speed, this morning the forum server is dog slow at loading the home screen, over 30 seconds for the initial load - I could see it responding to each TLS handshake, it was THAT slow.
    For me, the login is not a button, it's a link. (Pls forgive if you are just "calling" it a button). It has Login and Register in the top right hand corner, white on black per my view settings. It doesn't show up at all once I'm logged in. (not true after I refreshed page-see note below)

    Basic questions, hope it doesn't sound snarky...
    Are you sure you're not already logged in?
    If you drag your mouse along the top of the page, does it highlight the two links?
    What is your color scheme? (Maybe if the background is white, the links won't show)
    Have you tried changing view settings? maybe the links are just invisible to your view

    Good luck!

    Note: after I posted, the two links "My Account" and "logout (name)" showed up at the right top of the page where the "log in" and "register" links were before I logged in.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East coast, USA
    Posts
    2,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Starliteyes View Post
    For me, the login is not a button, it's a link. (Pls forgive if you are just "calling" it a button). It has Login and Register in the top right hand corner, white on black per my view settings. It doesn't show up at all once I'm logged in. (not true after I refreshed page-see note below)

    Basic questions, hope it doesn't sound snarky...
    Are you sure you're not already logged in?
    If you drag your mouse along the top of the page, does it highlight the two links?
    What is your color scheme? (Maybe if the background is white, the links won't show)
    Have you tried changing view settings? maybe the links are just invisible to your view

    Good luck!

    Note: after I posted, the two links "My Account" and "logout (name)" showed up at the right top of the page where the "log in" and "register" links were before I logged in.
    Yes, it is a link, not an actual button, so prople are probably just calling it that.

    It sounds like, when people hit the reply with quote, they have the chance to log in then, so I'd guess that is confirmation they were not already logged in.

    When it happens, the top of the page only shows "Register" for me. Tryign to highlight a hidden link does nothing, so it would seem it is not just a matter of it blending in with the background.

    I was able to recreate the issue in Firefox version 58.0.1 (64-bit). Since Firefox is the only browser I think was mentioned, is anyone having the problem and NOT on Firefox?
    Normally I am on Chrome and it is not happening there. (When I mentioned it happening to me above, it is times when both the Log In and Register links are not showing and a refresh of the page usually fixed that, so it may be a different issue entirely with the page not fully loading.)

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload