We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Defiler needing help.

Hello all,
    First of all let me say that my experience in the moors is quite limited so please forgive if the questions seem trivial to the rest.

Regardless of what game I play I generally start a healing class on all MMORPGs I play. Likewise 2 years ago I started a defiler which I leveled up to Rank 8 at the moment and has Rank 13 Audacity (Assuming that is the last rank ) . Currently I'm traited for HfP2 , 1 Critical Protection and the rest is Critical rating. After a long break from PvMP I started playing my defiler again and I'm looking for some advice on how to survive better out there and maybe not look like an idiot while everyone else dies and makes me further frustrated. I'm at that point of wondering whether starting a new class is a good option but I definitely dread the need to have to quest all over again to get the maps .

How do you ranked defilers up there manage to stay up and keep your team alive? Recently I haven't been able to get a group since the folks I usually group with in that timezone don't logon anymore or finish their game play much earlier than I logon. This results in me running around solo or doing quests or heading wherever there are callouts. I've managed to find a fight or two which are fun but most of the time I just get slaughtered . If there is something in the above corruption list that needs to change Ill be more than happy to do it or get it since I should have the comms to do the same. Does a higher rank make the job considerably easier?

Other than attrition is there any hope for a defiler to win a 1 vs 1 . Is there any point in traiting flies any more ?

I guess I'm looking for some advice to be a better defiler or is this common for all defilers as well ?
    Last edited by exx2000; Aug 26 2013 at 10:48 AM.
    [CENTER]Saelrom - 85 Minstrel | Swadra - 85 Warden | Navya 75 Burglar | Sindhu - 95 Captain | Saelwiz - 85 Rune-Keeper | Adoraba - 75 Hunter | Saelwar | 85 Guardian | Saelwise - 85 Loremaster[/CENTER]
    [center] Saelgash - R9 Defiler[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by exx2000 View Post
    Hello all,
    First of all let me say that my experience in the moors is quite limited so please forgive if the questions seem trivial to the rest.

Regardless of what game I play I generally start a healing class on all MMORPGs I play. Likewise 2 years ago I started a defiler which I leveled up to Rank 8 at the moment and has Rank 13 Audacity (Assuming that is the last rank ) . Currently I'm traited for HfP2 , 1 Critical Protection and the rest is Critical rating. After a long break from PvMP I started playing my defiler again and I'm looking for some advice on how to survive better out there and maybe not look like an idiot while everyone else dies and makes me further frustrated. I'm at that point of wondering whether starting a new class is a good option but I definitely dread the need to have to quest all over again to get the maps .

How do you ranked defilers up there manage to stay up and keep your team alive? Recently I haven't been able to get a group since the folks I usually group with in that timezone don't logon anymore or finish their game play much earlier than I logon. This results in me running around solo or doing quests or heading wherever there are callouts. I've managed to find a fight or two which are fun but most of the time I just get slaughtered . If there is something in the above corruption list that needs to change Ill be more than happy to do it or get it since I should have the comms to do the same. Does a higher rank make the job considerably easier?

Other than attrition is there any hope for a defiler to win a 1 vs 1 . Is there any point in traiting flies any more ?

I guess I'm looking for some advice to be a better defiler or is this common for all defilers as well ?

Higher rank does help staying alive, but in a raid v raid situation the only decent way to stay alive is to be at the back and hope that your WL and other filers can focus heal you if you get targeted. Since your own heals are HOTs and have long inductions you can't keep yourself alive if you get focus fired by a few freeps.

The only 1v1 I know you can win without attrition is against cappy since you can drop puddle on them which kills their self healing and their dps and lack of CC means your hots can go up and keep you at max morale. The rest of them seem to be a race - they need to kill you before you can put up your entire battery of hots and get up flies - but if they can run you out of power before they run out of power it is irrelevant.

Defiler is, and has always been the class that gets no attention from devs at all. It is not listed in the stickied list of monster class roles, in every update they have made they make minor or no changes to defilers while wargs, spiders and reavers have all gotten significant changes since the launch of RoI.

A defiler is at his best when the creeps have superiority can chase freeps around, since you can throw around hots when needed and stay away from the front line - when creeps are on the run, you will be focused down first and your lack of CC, survival skills, CC immunity and instant heals will mean you drop like a bag of sand.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...lers-and-1v1-s

In this thread, my post is at the bottom. Since then, i've reached R10, and changed my build just a bit. I am now rolling with:
    - Corruptions: Crit Protection, Damage 4 Power rank 2, Health 4 Power rank2, 3x Critical rating boosts.
    - Race Traits: Front Line Fodder, Blood of Fire, Rage of Misbegotten, Warrior Against the Deep, Flayer of Flesh.

The tips were mostly for 1v1 situations, but for healing in groups in general, a few extra basic ones:

- first thing you always do when healing a target is apply the Incoming Healing Modifier with traited Fungal spores to make your heals more potent.
    - before using your big fellowship heal (Eflorescence), take a quick look at your map, and try to allign yourself in a way where you can include the most of your fellowship/group into the skill effect area. Same goes for applying Slick Flesh (has to be on all the time for everyone, so use it wisely when your group is together).
    - if/when you get focused (you can get used to being one of the first targets always), kite and spam the combination of Fungal Spores and Fertile Slime - the other healers should notice this, and keep you up with heals and a bubble, if necessery.
    - Fear - extremely useful, and can mean a difference between living or dying. Save it for emergencies.

As for 1v1s, you can forget winning against: shield traited wardens, healing cappies, glory champs, burgs spamming interrupts/cc/addle, power draining/waterlore spamming lms, minis and RKs. You can get Fervour champs, dps cappies, guards, wardens, easy. And there's always burgs/LMs/RKs who are doing it wrong.
    Vilya: Healadder (defiler, R10), Kommisar (stalker, R7).
    Snowbourn: Superserial (warleader, R8), Steelstack (reaver, R6).
    Brandywine: Manvet (champion, R10 - Retired); Stargash-1 (reaver, R12)

Having done some 1v1s on the defiler and 1v1ed some on the rk, I have the following thoughts. My corruptions are the same as listed in the above reply.

Burg - if they don't use the subtle stab inc heal debuff, then I can last for about 7+ minutes before running out of power. There is no way I can out dps glee healing. With ss debuff I will probably explode soonish. Traited flies would help (essentially trading blight for flies).

Champ - they can self nerf enough to die, I suppose.

Mini - ditto champ, won't do enough dps to kill a defiler

Hunter - if they use 4 Predator set for merciful inc heal debuff then it will come down to luck. Otherwise will eventually kill them/they run out of power before I do.

RK - if they self heal then just die and save the power pots. If not will come down to luck and/or Essence of Winter resists.

Captain - cannot out dps self-heals. If they don't muster/valiant strike/RC then maybe there are a couple per server who can beat a defiler.

Guard - there is one on E that is difficult to out heal. Otherwise eventually they die.

LM - should outheal all but the very best who get lucky with sticky gourd reset and crit-fu. Can come down to a power fight.

Warden - for the good ones, unless they unequip 3 pieces of gear, just die quietly. For the bad ones, they will die hilariously (trying to assailment due to a fear of blight, etc) once and then they will not 1v1 again.
    [b] Apex, Elendilmir [/b]
    Arfiel, r13 rk / Aetheria, r9 mini / Fifireda, r7 captain
    Fifail, r8 defiler / Freshbait, r8 weaver

Thanks much for the advice Ill try re-traiting a bit. Also broke out a spider which I have at r5 . WIll post how I do after a month or so .

Cheers.
    [CENTER]Saelrom - 85 Minstrel | Swadra - 85 Warden | Navya 75 Burglar | Sindhu - 95 Captain | Saelwiz - 85 Rune-Keeper | Adoraba - 75 Hunter | Saelwar | 85 Guardian | Saelwise - 85 Loremaster[/CENTER]
    [center] Saelgash - R9 Defiler[/center]

I don't run around with a standard trait setup, it all depends on what is happening out there. If its a raid where I'm one of the only healers, I trait more crit protection and mitigations depending on the freep makeup because you will be #1 target. You have a 1min cd map to grams use it to fix your traits. Lots of hunters and rks, use tactical mits. physical mits are already pretty high so if they got the melee train coming at you then I would go with more crit protect and crit rating 2/2 and h4p1&2. If its small group action, I trait 4 crit rating d4p2 and d4h2 and just out heal anything that comes my way.

As far as tactics to stay alive, never stop moving.. if you have to put an induction up do it fast then get to running. Don't make yourself an easy target. if you have to stop, try and get in some web the earth or blight, heck stand in warg pee and hope they think its blight. Move in and out of the blight and have those blight dots stack up to 4 times, they don't like that too much. Change directions often and don't be predictable in your movements. A lot of keyboard turners out there that can't compete with an instant reverse of direction. Use line of sight to your advantage, run around trees, rocks, what ever it takes, but every chance you get throw your instant cast hots up on your group or yourself.
    Last edited by Grizzly_II; Aug 27 2013 at 09:39 AM.
    [center][B][color=orangered][I]Kozrog, Rank 13 Defiler[/I][/color][/B][/center]
    [center][color=teal][I]Brandywine[/I][/color][/center]