We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Warsteed Help... So lost >.<

Ok so, basically I was away for a long time and I have one little problem... I forgot everything on how I used to play with my war-steed (if its either Light or Medium. I wasnt here when they made some changes to the war steeds!) Do you guys have any tips or guides to share?
    And what do we say to Death? NOT TODAY!- Syrio Forell a Braavosi Water-dancer

Ummmm... Warsteeds haven't been in the game for very long. Your memory must be at least as bad as mine! hehe
    You get to select Light, Medium, or Heavy and then look at the three, Red, Yellow, and Blue lines of traits. Apply the riding skill points where you want, and preferably choose a Legendary Bridle that matches the horse size. (someone once posted that things don't work right if the Bridle and horse size are miss-matched.

I change mine around every now and then, have fun checking it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Granlif View Post
    Ummmm... Warsteeds haven't been in the game for very long. Your memory must be at least as bad as mine! hehe
    You get to select Light, Medium, or Heavy and then look at the three, Red, Yellow, and Blue lines of traits. Apply the riding skill points where you want, and preferably choose a Legendary Bridle that matches the horse size. (someone once posted that things don't work right if the Bridle and horse size are miss-matched.

I change mine around every now and then, have fun checking it out!
    And don't forget to take your Dramamine for all the rubber banding and lag motion sickness

My approach (to skills anyway) is just mash buttons. I don't know how you melee types manage, but may two mains are Hunter and Lore-master and having long range attacks is the best. I liken it to a dog-fight simulator, try to get behind your enemy using the min-map radar. Half the time I do not even see or know which direction the enemy is, mash the button to fire and the avatar completes the action if possible.

I use a light bridle on my Lore-master and a medium on my Hunter. Pretty much a haphazard choice. You then fill out the traits corresponding to the bridle in your mounted combat menu (or so I gather). You get three (color) choice trees to fill up. With 77 'points' in my maxxed out steed you can fill out one completely and half of a second. The main skills I have unlocked are the pet for the Lore-master and the trap for the Hinter, but other than being very cool to have a pet (not sure how much damage it inflicts), I have yet to figure out what the trap is supposed to do.

I suppose they had some sort of strategy in mind for each classes' mounted skill set, but I usually just pop things as they come available.

Mounted combat as it is in the game right now, is a very dubious exercise. About the only thing I like is that you can destroy unmounted enemies easily or run off aggro quickly if need be.
    Right now, it is poorly implemented, but I give em a solid B+ for effort. It is/was a daunting thing to undertake.
    [COLOR=#ffff00]''[I]A man[/I] of rare [I]perception[/I]. In fact [he] had such rare [I]perceptions[/I] they amounted to hallucinations.'' [I]Walt Kelly
    [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#add8e6]
    Dottiel,[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] Kinship(s): [/COLOR][COLOR=#00ff00]There is no Fifth Star[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] (Meneldor)[/COLOR]; [COLOR=#00ff00]Fifth Star Vagabonds[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] (Riddermark)[/COLOR]

For any ranged or tactical class (captain falls in that category too) I tend to do a tight circle around whatever mob I'm killing, providing it's just one tough mob like a warband, and fire my skills like that. If the mob is dismounted they won't be able to hit you 90% of the time.

Some tips:

1) Get your UI right so it's snugg and easy to use for you. Do place your attack buttons in a logical order. Some general pointers:
    * group ranged attacks so you know what buttons to press if you're still at distance, one of these will be your 'opener'.
    * group building attacks (e.g. 'fervour builders' for the champ)
    * group finisher attacks
    * group heals and buffs

2) Move your healing potion buttons to your mounted combat bar. You may need them when fighting a warband. Opening your bags to quaff one is bad fallback procedure.

3) Be on the move, always. You build up fury when you're moving and you're harder to hit when you're moving. I personally use the light steed for sheer manouverability. I attack in a straight line at high speed then enter a circular pattern. I suppose some would go dizzy, but I really whirlwind stuff to death.

4) When engaging warbands: pick off the adds first. Especially if they're ranged adds. And really really especially if they're mounted ranged adds. A singled out boss is easy pickings.

5) Cherrypick from your three skill trees. Stance dance to get the most out of them.

6) If you have to choose between spending a point on a meh skill or a stat, the stat is likely the best option.

7) How you make your bridle: stat legacies or one of the others and point distribution don't matter that all much anymore, compared to getting the unique relics. They are where the punch is!

If you have ranged/tactical attacks (Mini, LM, Hnt, RK) then just run circles around the mob and mash your buttons (read the descriptions if you want to use them more effectively. I recommend giving yourself a bit of survivability and putting points in either blue or yellow line (shift-M I think brings up the warsteed trait menu. or maybe it's ctrl-M?). I usually fight with the blue or yellow toggle on as well.

If you are a melee class - especially guardian or burglar, then I'm so sorry. Normally, I would recommend following the mob (/follow) and then mash buttons, but /follow is broken right now. The only way to fight a moving mob with a melee character is to do figure 8s around the mob. Always keep a skill cued up so that when you get close enough, it will automatically fire off. Unfortunately, this means you only get to actually hit the mob every few seconds while the ranged/tactical classes can hit the mob constantly.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Frieja View Post
    If you are a melee class - especially guardian or burglar, then I'm so sorry. Normally, I would recommend following the mob (/follow) and then mash buttons, but /follow is broken right now. The only way to fight a moving mob with a melee character is to do figure 8s around the mob.
    You do not have to do it this way. Stand still. Face the mob. Slug it out.

I do the stand still and fire away with my Hunter when I am in a camp. Otherwise I run into tents, walls and aggro lots of mobs.

You are more difficult mob like a warband. You got a problem as a melee.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    You do not have to do it this way. Stand still. Face the mob. Slug it out.
    You can do this with a stationary mob (I stand still when fighting a stationary mob too). But for a MOVING mob, it won't work very well. I suppose you could wait for them to keep coming back to you and then take a swipe though.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]