We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

1v1s=organized farming?

Think about it, a typical person doesn't 1v1 someone they don't think they can beat, and there are some people who are high rank+full aud that will rarely lose a 1v1 just because they refuse to 1v1 people who can beat them. Isn't is a bit like organized farming?

Quote Originally Posted by Bee9 View Post
    Think about it, a typical person doesn't 1v1 someone they don't think they can beat, and there are some people who are high rank+full aud that will rarely lose a 1v1 just because they refuse to 1v1 people who can beat them. Isn't is a bit like organized farming?
    1v1 circles are a two way street, both sides agree to any fight. If someone doesn't think they'll get anything out of the fight (either a chance to win, or a chance to learn, or w/e else) they shouldn't take part.

If someone is only challenging greenies, or is using cooldowns the other side isn't matching, or anything else that is in poor sportsmanship (i'm using the term liberally here), don't fight them. There goes their 'farming'.

Quote Originally Posted by spelunker View Post
    1v1 circles are a two way street, both sides agree to any fight. If someone doesn't think they'll get anything out of the fight (either a chance to win, or a chance to learn, or w/e else) they shouldn't take part.

If someone is only challenging greenies, or is using cooldowns the other side isn't matching, or anything else that is in poor sportsmanship (i'm using the term liberally here), don't fight them. There goes their 'farming'.
    Yeah...

Anyone who can't differentiate between 1v1 sparring and rank farming is either trying not to differentiate, or just hasn't thought about it.

I am a fail reaver. But often I 1v1 people I have no chance of beating, because it really is the only way I'm gonna get better.

Of late, I've been 1v1ing a certain LM a lot. He's the alt of a well-respected Dwarrow player. At first I died each and every time but slowly got used to I have to do to beat him. He is r9 now (I suspect he has me to thank for that ) and our 1v1s are usually really good fun and the victories are much more even (while still favoring him). Thanks to this I've also started using the same techniques against other people, making 1v1s much more interesting and giving me a better chance of success at both 1v1s and general PvP.

See? 1v1s are good.
    Dwarrowdelf-Gothash-R9 Reaver
    @Celedreor-R5 Hunter
    'Naked dwarf on fire. That can't be good.'
    ~ Sapience

I've seen better farming from raids continually zerging solos than in 1v1 circles
    "Heroes get remembered but Legends never die."

SnH Landroval

Fighting other players that you either CANNOT beat or MIGHT beat as a challenge to get better is normal 1v1ing. Killing players that you have 100% chance of beating is farming (*cough* Elendilmir *cough*).

Quote Originally Posted by Graycient View Post
    Fighting other players that you either CANNOT beat or MIGHT beat as a challenge to get better is normal 1v1ing. Killing players that you have 100% chance of beating is farming (*cough* Elendilmir *cough*).

Quote Originally Posted by Bee9 View Post
    Not really no, because the 1v1 has two players agreeing to the fight. If they refuse to 1v1 people who can beat them, and others they can beat choose to fight them its a consensual situation.

People forming raids for no reason, besides zerging solo creeps, should be considered the real farmers.
    Id rather feed points to a freep that knows how to play his class and put effort into improving himself (since beating a rank 11 reaver isn't possible if he didn't do all of this), then the typical raid babies who would have no chance of beating me 1v1.
    This doesn't mean I will keep sparring a freep that I have no chance of beating, but I will still spar him occasionally to improve myself.

"1v1s" can be considered farming somewhat due to the flawed OP buffs/keep buffs/delving buffs. That's why I don't play this game anymore. They killed what I loved most with 1v1s. I've heard from people I know that still play they gotten upwards of 500 infamy/renown from a single 1v1. On average it's like 250; that used to be the amount if you killed a 5 star person when you had great rating yourself, and it was a far and few feat.

On melendor it is the freeps has to have 4 ops and both relics to do anything or all they wanna do is 1v1 their freinds i call this fight clubbing when they do this and take turns to die.

There are upsides and downsides to 1v1'ing.

It can void the map of solos and small groups, because there is definite action at the 1v1s. They would rather go where they know action will be, than spend hours only finding a couple fights here and there that might get away. Yet, I do not consider this farming. You consent to the fight, and usually have a fair chance of winning or at least believe you do. If the other side depraves themselves of "I win" buttons then you certainly do have a chance given an equal skill level and class matchup. Wargs can beat a spear warden at 1v1 and leave both needing a rez. This is exactly what differentiates it from farming. Farming is facing the same unskilled, unresponsive player over and over and over again knowing the outcome is predetermined. Farmed players do not fight back, or have the intention of beating the one farming.

1v1's are not always the best way to learn how to counter the opposing class. Rarely does the other player deprive himself of "I win" buttons in an open map fight, and when this happens you will not know what to do, since you didn't encounter this in the 1v1. I've seen a Rank 11 LM stack 3 Waterlores on himself before blasting my, at the time, r2 warg into oblivion. I've seen wardens pop DC the second my warg pounced while the second warg waited to pounce after stun immunity. A weaver popped reflect the second a 1v1 started against my warden... these are all situations that are not typical in a 1v1. Large groups vs solos, or clear keep "farming" is much more akin to farming than a 1v1 circle. Yet I would not rely on the 1v1 circle to learn all your skills, movements because you aren't facing the same situation if you were solo.

At least on my server, "1v1" as in sparring, has long been used as a farming ground for ranks and pretty looking wartabs. Fastest way to rank bar none before RoR (where zerging has taken on a whole new level). I don't know if that is still the case but at some point, it was considered good "1v1" etiquette on Snowbourn for the winner of a spar to kill himself on cows (Good TA map point is used as a 1v1 circle) so the loser would get points too (and keep coming back despite losing).

I don't want to paint everyone with the same brush, but I have no doubt there would be much fewer people sparring if not for the steady renown/infamy income.

Quote Originally Posted by keiff View Post
    On melendor it is the freeps has to have 4 ops and both relics to do anything or all they wanna do is 1v1 their freinds i call this fight clubbing when they do this and take turns to die.
    9 forum posts, fail troll w/massive generalizations that are patently false. 0/10 for effort.