We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Do I need to buy expansion packs?

Hello all,
    I recently reached level 25 with my elf hunter, and the game suggested that i go to the North Downs, specifically to Trestelbridge and continue questing there. By the time I got there, a notification said that I must buy the expansion pack in order to unlock the quests. I was a bit confused at first, but then I read a lot of posts and threads on forums and learned that free players have to buy numerous expansion packs and also to get LIs they must complete a quest given by the Mines of Moria expansion pack. Unfortunately all the threads were outdated and I really don't know whether they changed the game since then. Can anyone tell me whether I need to buy the north-downs expansion pack to continue gaming and after that whether i need to buy mines of moria to get LIs?

Thank you in advance!

First of all, let's clarify something. There is a difference between "Quest Pack" (which is what North Downs is) and "Expansion Pack" (which is what Mines of Moria is). Quest packs unlock the quests and deeds in a zone, whereas expansions frequently often also offer other things. (Any zone that has an instance cluster and an available expansion will require the expansion to play the instance cluster, the quest pack won't be enough.)

If you are Free to Play, you will most likely need to purchase at least some quest packs in order to continue. It is possible to advance throughout the game without owning any, but it'll be a lot of boring skirmishes to do so, and you'll probably grow tired of the game long before you make it.

If you do choose to stay Free to Play and decide to pick up quest packs, I would recommend staying in Lone Lands as long as you can (which should take you to 30 easily, and probably further) and then purchasing Evendim over North Downs. Evendim picks up level wise about where Lone Lands leaves off, whereas North Downs overlaps both. Since Lone Lands is free and both of the other zones cost TP, it'll be better to take the path that will get you the furthest for the least TP, which should be Evendim (barring sales or other things of that nature).

If you decide to subscribe, you'll get all Quest Packs (not expansions) for free, for the duration of your subscription. If you don't want to subscribe forever, you could subscribe up to level 48 or so, as that's the point you'll need an expansion to continue. (Mines of Moria) Subscribing offers other benefits as well, many of which you'll keep if/when you ever drop your subscription.

The good news is that LIs are available to everyone, whether or not you have the expansion. The quest to unlock them is actually the first Book in Volume 2 of the Epic. (You're probably working on Book 1 right now.) As soon as you hit 45 you can pick up the first quest in Volume 2, and I would recommend doing so whether or not you've finished Volume 1 yet.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Hey there,

What you're looking at is actually a quest pack rather than an expansion. You can find all of them and their prices here: https://www.lotro.com/en/lotro-store-quest-packs (do NOT go by the levels they advertise there, rather ask players instead... they'll include a handful of raid quests five levels above the rest of the content as going up to that level). The expansion quest packs only include the quests; buy the whole expansion (larger prices) if you want all the bonuses they have to offer (warden/rk class with Moria... usually just instance clusters and the odd unlock or two).

My suggestions: If you're just looking to level quickly, buy Evendim next after completing the Lone-lands. If you want to complete as much content as the game has to offer, go VIP. The North-downs (as well as Trollshaws) are just not content-heavy enough to justify buying when there are other questpacks.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    (Any zone that has an instance cluster and an available expansion will require the expansion to play the instance cluster, the quest pack won't be enough.)
    True for Isengard and Rohan, incorrect for Moria.

@OP: You'll want some quest packs/expansions for levelling to cap. You won't need them all. At 25 you can still do free quests in Lone Lands (up to about level 32), after that all other quests packs need to be unlocked. At that point people generally get Evendim to get up to level 40.
    As for LIs, you will get the relevant quests as part of the epic storyline. You don't need Moria to get access to them. But you'll need Moria most likely to level around 50-60 as there are no other zones covering that range.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    True for Isengard and Rohan, incorrect for Moria.
    Ah, right, thanks. Maybe I'll just list which expansions give instance clusters and which quest packs do, hopefully to clear things up. Someone's gonna need to verify a couple for me though.

Quest packs with Instance Clusters:
    Angmar - Carn Dum/Urugarth/Barad Galuran?/Rift
    Moria* - A bunch of 6 mans, Filikul, Watcher
    Lothlorien* - Mirror-halls, Water-works, Halls of Crafting, DN
    Enedwaith - In Their Absense (Northcotton Farm, Stoneheight, Lost Temple, Sari-Surma, Ost Dunhoth)
    Great River - Roots of Fangorn (single instance)

* Moria and Lothlorien may be combined. I have no idea how these are functioning at this point. I think they got split sometime after I bought them.

Zones that require expansions or a separate purchase for the cluster:
    Dunland - Rise of Isengard expansion or the Orthanc IC
    East Rohan - Riders of Rohan expansion or the Erebor IC

Unknown:
    Mirkwood instances. The quest pack may be good enough? There may not even be a quest pack option? I have no idea.

Okay thank you guys, for responding so soon, you were really helpful! I didn't know there were quest packs in addition to expansion packs so I'll probably buy Evendim next and after that maybe Eregion. So thanks again for helping me understand how quest and expansion packs work!

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Ah, right, thanks. Maybe I'll just list which expansions give instance clusters and which quest packs do, hopefully to clear things up. Someone's gonna need to verify a couple for me though.
    [...]
    Unknown:
    Mirkwood instances. The quest pack may be good enough? There may not even be a quest pack option? I have no idea.
    I'm 99% sure it works like Moria. Mirkwood is this weird limbo between Quest Pack and Expansion Pack. There are the "Expansion Quests: Mirkwood" just like every other expansion, but there's no "Expansion Pack" bundle for it, since all that would be apart from the quest pack is the "Skirmish Trait Max Rank: 25"...

Moria and Mirkwood both include the instance cluster in the quest pack. Moria EXPANSION also includes the Warden and Rune-keeper classes. Mirkwood does not have an EXPANSION pack because the expansion did not bundle anything with it. It was released as a quest pack and labeled as an expansion .

After Mirkwood, Turbine realized it could make more money buy making people purchase the instance cluster separately, so the instance cluster became a featured selling point of the expansion instead of something we took for granted to be in it. So for the next expansions, Rise of Isengard and Riders of Rohan, the EXPANSION includes quests, deeds, and the instance cluster. The quest packs only include quests and deeds.
    MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority

My personal theory on the post F2P way of splitting the expansion packs into sub-parts is that they still wanted to offer a Pack and several components, and the most logical way to do that is between Quests and Instance cluster.

It feels a bit odd to me even that they didn't split Moria and Mirkwood that way right from the start of F2P... (Not complaining, of course )

Evendim is a great choice, it will get you through that difficult spot where the epic quests are all happening in Rivendell and the Trollshaws but you aren't quite up to the level of them yet. It'll give you a practical and fun way to level in between, and the story of the Wardens is quite engaging.

I'm skipping Eregion. There is a Moria quest pack that's different from the full Moria expansion. If you just want the quests you get something like over 300 of them for about 1400 TP. If you want the full expansion it's more like 2400 TP and you get the quests plus it unlocks some character classes and extra slots and stuff.

After Evendim, and once I finish up Book 5, I will probably be level 45 and from what I've heard that's the bare minimum for starting to play in Moria.

Read some quest pack reviews to see what you think you'll need and which ones are considered to be the best value. Everyone I've talked to says Moria quests are pretty much indispensable.
    Landroval: Ardgytha/Cap - Burnet/Guard - Fernwithy/Burg - Maethanir/Hunt
    Elendilmir: Mithildir/Guard - Finnur/Champ - Sweetbriar/Hunt

F2P ends with the Lonelands around level 32. As has already been said, Evendim is far and away the best zone to get next, and will take you to 42. Eregion is an excellent zone as well, but it doesn't really start til 48, so you'll have a bit of a level gap that you'll need to skirm grind through. For this reason I'd recommend picking up Angmar first. It starts at 40 and includes 4 excellent instances that still get run on a daily basis. Whichever you choose, Moria starts at 50 and covers a lot of ground, with the two paths for 60+ being Lothlorien/Mirkwood or Enedwaith/Dunland.

The Moria expansion is a special case. The full expansion includes the quest pack as well as the Warden and Runekeeper classes, but it also includes 2 character slots which cannot be bought any other way. If you're planning on buying Warden/RK anyway and you have the TP, get the full expansion. Even if it's just for storage space (and you will need storage space), you can always use more character slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardgytha View Post
    Evendim is a great choice, it will get you through that difficult spot where the epic quests are all happening in Rivendell and the Trollshaws but you aren't quite up to the level of them yet. It'll give you a practical and fun way to level in between, and the story of the Wardens is quite engaging.

I'm skipping Eregion. There is a Moria quest pack that's different from the full Moria expansion. If you just want the quests you get something like over 300 of them for about 1400 TP. If you want the full expansion it's more like 2400 TP and you get the quests plus it unlocks some character classes and extra slots and stuff.

After Evendim, and once I finish up Book 5, I will probably be level 45 and from what I've heard that's the bare minimum for starting to play in Moria.

Read some quest pack reviews to see what you think you'll need and which ones are considered to be the best value. Everyone I've talked to says Moria quests are pretty much indispensable.
    45 is a bit early, you may struggle quite a bit. It could also lead to potential problems afterwards, since if you start Moria at 50 it'll get you to about 61, but obviously starting earlier won't get you as far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ameranth View Post
    F2P ends with the Lonelands around level 32. As has already been said, Evendim is far and away the best zone to get next, and will take you to 42. Eregion is an excellent zone as well, but it doesn't really start til 48, so you'll have a bit of a level gap that you'll need to skirm grind through. For this reason I'd recommend picking up Angmar first.

You can start Eregion around 44 or 45, though it may be a little bit of a struggle. (Just avoid the small fellowship quest that has you go in a cave and the rest should be manageable.)
    Personally I would recommend Forochel over Angmar, as I find that the quests last for a little while, and in general the zone is a bit cooler than Angmar. (Also since it's frozen it's quite literally cooler but that's neither here nor there.) The biggest problem would be that Forochel does start a level or two later than Angmar does, so it depends when you get out of Evendim. Angmar also includes an instance pack that Forochel does not, but the instances in that cluster are not scaled yet, so the main reason to get them would be for deeds, not gear.