We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeCase View Post
    I know that the number looks daunting, but we're only a few hours in, with only one way of obtaining tokens open. We've got more tricks up our sleeve, and we're keeping a close eye on this event.
    I think it would have been much better to outline some of these tricks a bit more extensively, unfortunately you failed to do in the dev. diary. I'm all for surprises etc. but as a player who wants to get all the deeds done and obtain the mount I find it very frustrating when details are so lacking. Obviously I have to meet a quota of getting a certain number of tokens every day to achieve this so it would be nice to know if I am falling behind etc. It is a one time only event after all so its not like a festival which will be back every year.

These aren't something you are supposed to "farm", this is an event where you play the game normally and get drops while playing.

It's going to run for months, most likely. I realize that some people, especially in MMORPGs, tend to be completionists, but just relax, I'm sure by the time it's over, you'll have more than enough tokens.

I think it just feels a bit like at the moment we are playing a game without a full understanding of the rules. We have an end goal. We don't really know how long we have to get to that goal. We don't really understand all the ways we can get nearer to it.

We don't know how hard we have to work, we don't know how long for. It's all a bit puzzling.

Edit: It has also been designed to be competitive. We are racing each other on different servers to complete. That doesn't make people feel it is something they can take passively and just carry on as usual. It makes people feel they should be doing something towards "winning".
    Last edited by Rosiebelle; Aug 27 2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Fight on my dwavern sisters! May the orc blood always wash right out your frilly dresses.

I found a single bag containing 5 tokens within like 6 hours of leveling.
    If you are lucky though you can find 500 tokens in a single bag: pic.twitter.com/nnVfR71pIQ

Quote Originally Posted by Rakulp View Post
    If I play LOTRO for 45 mins of fighting mobs, and do not find even one token, this is not fun.
    That was my experience this morning in a frenzied assault on the villages south of Forlaw. Very discouraging. Got 150 or so doing the same thing yesterday but that took several hours. Not going to be doing that evening after evening.

I'm donating all of them to the Bounders as I think the server buff is a great thing to have. Don't care much about the cosmetics and the sub-craft level items are no use at all to any but the most casual of players.

I've played on three of my characters on Landy, a 68 RK, a now 30 Hunter. and my perma 10 Guard. My RK, mostly goofing off trying to get some hides for crafting, found some quests she hadn't finished in Angmar, and while doing them, got a bag with 70. The hunter, in less time spent adventuring, got three bags, 20, 20 and 10 inside. The third just did the initial quest turn in because I'd already noticed something, and wanted to see if maybe it was a bug for the second character. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be.

ONLY the first character that turned in the initial Bounder quest got the associated deeds. If only one character per account can get them, was there a warning in the initial quest that I missed? Or is this a bug? Because I'd really rather have my main hobbit that's in a Bounder kin, fer Pete's sake, get the title than one of my Dwarves.

So if at all possible, can someone tell me is it WAI that only one character per account gets the deeds? Some of us like to have a choice for such things, rather than finding out randomly after it's too late. If there was a warning in advance, I apologize for missing the notice.
    Club Éclair-Second Servings members are at 25 trainings or below.
    I can't fit all my Tortoise Stone Bearers in my sig anymore.
    If you would like to sponsor an event for our 8th Annual Month a' the Chicken on Landy, please PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by marmi View Post
    I found a single bag containing 5 tokens within like 6 hours of leveling.
    If you are lucky though you can find 500 tokens in a single bag: pic.twitter.com/nnVfR71pIQ
    That looks like it would come out of a hobbit present.

My personal nightmare scenario is being left with an uncompletable deed in my log.

I also have no intention of grinding thousands of mobs for tokens (one day the RNG-grind-obsessed people in positions of authority at Turbine will leave, and the game will be the better for their departure).

So as it stands my plan is to hoard tokens until/if I get 2500, then turn in the quest 50 times in one monster clicking session.

This raises the question of whether turn-ins will still be possible after the server 1.75m target is reached. And as things stand, the as-yet-undefined additional methods for token gathering are going to have to be extremely juicy to compensate for the miserly mob drop rate.
    [CENTER]Tarmas Elf Champion R13 | Tarmeg Elf Guardian R6 | Tarmil 95 Elf Warden | Tarmun Elf Hunter R6 | Tarmot Elf Minstrel R6 | Tarmyr Elf Loremaster R6
    Strawn Reaver R6 | Strawz Warg R6 | Strawk Blackarrow R6 | Strawx Warleader R6 | Strawb Defiler R6 | Strawt Weaver R6[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Gaming_Gal View Post
    I've played on three of my characters on Landy, a 68 RK, a now 30 Hunter. and my perma 10 Guard. My RK, mostly goofing off trying to get some hides for crafting, found some quests she hadn't finished in Angmar, and while doing them, got a bag with 70. The hunter, in less time spent adventuring, got three bags, 20, 20 and 10 inside. The third just did the initial quest turn in because I'd already noticed something, and wanted to see if maybe it was a bug for the second character. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be.

ONLY the first character that turned in the initial Bounder quest got the associated deeds. If only one character per account can get them, was there a warning in the initial quest that I missed? Or is this a bug? Because I'd really rather have my main hobbit that's in a Bounder kin, fer Pete's sake, get the title than one of my Dwarves.

So if at all possible, can someone tell me is it WAI that only one character per account gets the deeds? Some of us like to have a choice for such things, rather than finding out randomly after it's too late. If there was a warning in advance, I apologize for missing the notice.
    This is my understanding. There are 2 quests. There is one called Bounder's Bounty that asks you to donate 5 tokens. To my knowledge, that is a one-time quest (it may be completed once by all toons and does not count towards the deed). It is merely there to vector players to the NPCs at the statue in Michel Delving.

The other one I forget the name of. You receive it from the NPC standing by the statue and it asks you to donate 50 tokens. This one does count towards the deed and should be available to all toons. I have not turned that quest in at all yet but I believe that is how it should go.

I wish there was such thing as account-wide deeds for festivals. It's grindy enough for one toon. Multiply that a few times for alts... -.-
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 105 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/105 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/62 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Also, I was wondering if the design intent was that we turn in tokens for goodies on one character or if those of us playing multiple characters have a shot, at least of the mount, across the board?

I am wondering why there is no XPdisabler avalible for tokens, but Outrider's Token is

I have a question, are the current running totals across the servers inline with what the dev team expected? Are we hitting what the expected minimum hand in totals are?
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

Quote Originally Posted by CroVoid View Post
    I am wondering why there is no XPdisabler avalible for tokens, but Outrider's Token is
    One of the major points of the event is to get your prepared for Helm's Deep, which is 85-95 content. Giving you an XP disabler for free will end up resulting in more people not getting to that level range, and thus less people buying their expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellemere View Post
    I have a question, are the current running totals across the servers inline with what the dev team expected? Are we hitting what the expected minimum hand in totals are?
    I'd imagine they are, since ones of the devs stated that the only method in place is intentionally slow and that we'll be able to get tons more tokens later on.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Ellemere View Post
    I'd like to second this question Devs, and if a non-Dev that likes to guess at answers responds, I'd also like to point out to the devs that I expect a Dev response. I don't believe the non-Dev know-it-alls can be trusted to know anything about the answer. Even if they guess the correct answer it is not a Dev response and is therefore as worthwhile as an answer from my 6 year old nephew.

Here is my experience with these tokens. Killing level 83-85 landscape mobs for 90 minutes gave me none. Opening around 15 gold hobbit gift boxes gave me 500 tokens. Are we going to be expected to get the majority of these tokens from items we have to pay for in some way? (lootbox keys and hobbit gifts)

Day one, when I logged out last night, my server had 2300. How can we honestly be expected to reach the server goal with the current rate before the release of the expansion that comes out after HD? That's right it will take us 2-3 years!

Quote Originally Posted by marmi View Post
    But where do the huge bags drop? I know for a fact that there are at least 3 different sizes of bag; regular, large and huge. I have only seen the regular be mob drops from level 5's to level 85 mobs, and I acquired one large bag from a hobbit gift, so I assume the same is for the huge bag.

Unless someone can enlighten me that the large and huge bags do drop elsewhere besides hobbit gifts? Perhaps in a future festival?

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufkin View Post
    Day one, when I logged out last night, my server had 2300. How can we honestly be expected to reach the server goal with the current rate before the release of the expansion that comes out after HD? That's right it will take us 2-3 years!
    I have read that there will be more options opening up in the future for how to acquire the tokens, both through festivals and lotteries. Hopefully at a more satisfying rate.
    Last edited by zalladi; Aug 27 2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying

Quote Originally Posted by zalladi View Post
    Unless someone can enlighten me that the large and huge bags to drop elsewhere besides hobbit gifts? Perhaps in a future festival?
    Huge do drop from hobbit gifts, I opened a gold gift and received a huge that contained 250 tokens. I don't know if they will drop from landscape mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainothon View Post
    Don't judge a marathon by the first 100 yards.

Call me crazy, but it may even come to pass that the serverwide bounder token goal has actually got to be increased (doubled? tripled?) at one point in time because it's being reached too soon.

Devs make things, players break things.

And then some players go totally creative doing all kinds of unintended stuff.
    Well, looking at the numbers so far, after one day.

The highest server turn in as of this typing has 11,500 tokens (Brandywine)...at that pace, they'll hit the goal in 152 days.

Think that is reasonable? Well, let's look at another server.

Gladden - 3100 - 564 days.

(Pulling these numbers from this thread - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Server-Totals)

My point? This game is six years old and suffers greatly in comparison to some newer games. I love LOTRO, and want to see it go six more years and longer...but, this kind of "marathon" ain't going to cut it! There are too many people who are posting very, very low results...it's leading to discouragement and complete refusal to participate in the event. This is not a successful equation. (Oh, and for the record, I've now officially found five tokens...pop the champagne!)

This is the first 100 yards of a marathon...and it could be a fun marathon. But the start is not promising, and there is nothing compelling people to participate. In another game, I call it the "ding" factor. That thrill you get when the item drops. Without that, people will gladly move on to more shiny games or perhaps the real sunshine of real life (gasp!).

I don't want it easy folks...please don't misunderstand. But I want it to be fun most of all...right now, for a lot of folks, it ain't. I hope something will happen soon to provide a way to obtain the tokens at a faster, more pleasing, rate.

Rak
    Rakulp
    "Honor Above All"

I'm reminded of the Grinderversay a couple years back where the reward rate was so low and prices so high that the outcry was very similar to this one. Turbine finally realized they went too far with that and instituted generous lotteries until the end of the event that let just about everyone (who paid attention) get their Anniversary tokens and rewards.

While the drop rate is abysmal and I'm not going to go out of my way to kill mobs for the infinitesimal chance of a token drop, I expect that the as-yet-unnamed other sources of tokens will be much better, even if they have to resort to a month of lotteries to get people the tokens they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakulp View Post
    The highest server turn in as of this typing has 11,500 tokens (Brandywine)...at that pace, they'll hit the goal in 152 days.

Think that is reasonable? Well, let's look at another server.

Gladden - 3100 - 564 days.

(Pulling these numbers from this thread - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Server-Totals)

Rak
    And remember, this event only runs until HD launches. Guess we'll have to hope those "other methods of tokens" happens moresoonerish than later.

Ok lets see.. Its been a day now and Imladris has donated a bit under 7000 tokens.... to achieve the goal at this rate it would take around 200 days.... But lets say they increase the drop rate and give us another way to get tokens... What happens then? well what i would do is let others worry about donations while i stack on tokens... The discount cant be that great and there is nothing worthwhile buying at my personal vendor anyway...

You go and give away a couple thousand tokens and hope that after you reach the goal there will be enough time to acquire more, while i will save up my couple thousand and when you are done ill buy a few stacks of morale pots, monsterplay renown gain buffs and a few stacks of relic packs....

I wonder how many people figured this out already...
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Would love to see destiny points added as something we can buy with the tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by Eartholloth View Post
    That looks like it would come out of a hobbit present.
    just got a large bag with 100 in it from hobbit slots

Quote Originally Posted by zagreb000 View Post
    Ok lets see.. Its been a day now and Imladris has donated a bit under 7000 tokens.... to achieve the goal at this rate it would take around 200 days.... But lets say they increase the drop rate and give us another way to get tokens... What happens then? well what i would do is let others worry about donations while i stack on tokens... The discount cant be that great and there is nothing worthwhile buying at my personal vendor anyway...

You go and give away a couple thousand tokens and hope that after you reach the goal there will be enough time to acquire more, while i will save up my couple thousand and when you are done ill buy a few stacks of morale pots, monsterplay renown gain buffs and a few stacks of relic packs....

I wonder how many people figured this out already...
    The vendor unlocked by completing the bounders' goal gives nearly 50% off everything available at the other vendor, plus several items (like the renown bonus and the steed) that are not available otherwise. And your decision is the precise thing I personally have been afraid would happen: 90% of the server decides to save their tokens and let somebody else donate everything, then HD comes out and nobody can get the special stuff because only 10% of the server ever turned anything in. The problem we are facing is: Somebody else will do it. Quite simply, you cannot expect anybody else to do it if you do not yourself. This (coupled with really wanting that steed on one character minimum) is why I am donating any and all tokens I find until we have completed the goal on both servers I am active on. I really hope that many other people will make the same decision. Otherwise, we will lose out on one-time rewards that we will NEVER see again.
    Gimli's First Law of Tanking:

"Certainty of death? Small chance of success? What are we waiting for?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Astarte View Post
    I logged in on an alt on Imladris, killed roughly 20 mobs, and got a bag.

I think some folks might be overthinking the drop rate thing. Just saying.

I play on Imladris currently leveling my 40ish LM jumped 3 levels don't know how many kills 100+ only 1 bag with 5 tokens dropped for me. I am beginning to think it is the RNG working as intended .

Quote Originally Posted by Elym View Post
    The vendor unlocked by completing the bounders' goal gives nearly 50% off everything available at the other vendor, plus several items (like the renown bonus and the steed) that are not available otherwise. And your decision is the precise thing I personally have been afraid would happen: 90% of the server decides to save their tokens and let somebody else donate everything, then HD comes out and nobody can get the special stuff because only 10% of the server ever turned anything in. The problem we are facing is: Somebody else will do it. Quite simply, you cannot expect anybody else to do it if you do not yourself. This (coupled with really wanting that steed on one character minimum) is why I am donating any and all tokens I find until we have completed the goal on both servers I am active on. I really hope that many other people will make the same decision. Otherwise, we will lose out on one-time rewards that we will NEVER see again.
    Depending on how hard you try to acquire tokens your donations can continue ad infinum while the discount is only good if you actually own tokens! ... The impact you make by yourself towards achieving the goal is abysmal...Items a lot of players would want (store items that cost actual money) are already cheap enough to buy.... Why bother myself if there are a couple thousand other players that will do the work for me... Then there is the problem of people losing interest, this being a "marathon" like a dev said.... Its great some people think highly of the community but at the end of the day we all are just people, looking after our own interest...... Doesnt matter that this is a game..

I will give you the solution to this problem... Its simple.. 2 currencies.. One for donations and the first vendor and the second currency for the second vendor...
    That way you avoid the selfish gene and hoarding...
    [CENTER][URL="http://postimage.org/"][IMG]http://s5.postimg.org/oiz5srzbr/download_1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[COLOR=#ffffff][I][B]Only fools and dead men never change their mind[/B][/I][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast