We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    I was very excited about this event. I loved the Ring lore event and this sounds very similar. I couldn't wait to get started, and set aside some time to really get stuck-into the hunt. I figured it would be a great time to work on an alt. I ran her to the Shire and grabbed the 50 token quest. But after four hours playing, not a token was to be found. At this type of rate, my hopes of contributing to the server goal, and getting a horse or two, seem to be pretty far out of reach.

I understand this is a long-term event, but I'd at least like to feel that I got something accomplished toward the server count. As I recall, Ring lore dropped fairly consistently--not in a rain from the heavens, but I could play a stretch and log out feeling I had made some progress. Same for the metal anniversary tokens.

I have to say I am feeling pretty daunted. I'll keep trying this week. Even one darn bag dropping would give me a little psychological boost.

Bounder tokens.

I had stuff left to do in Wildermore so I just killed stuff a good while, filling six bags to overflow a few times.

Bags looted contained mainly 10 tokens each but also 5 and a couple of 20.

I had a deed left in Urugarth so I slotted some aoe/crit reset on hunter and cleaned all but trolls (those were finished from before). Result was 3 bags on those mobs lvl 48-50 - 5, 10 and 70 tokens. So far my character handed in 200.

I wonder if there's a good reason why the tokens come in bags. Perhaps someone from Turbine can address this.

From what I've read, it seems like many players would be happier if they got smaller amounts of tokens more often.

For example, if the odds of looting a bag of 10 tokens is 1%, players might be happier looting 1 token 10% of the time instead. (I'm just making those numbers up.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    I wonder if there's a good reason why the tokens come in bags. Perhaps someone from Turbine can address this.

From what I've read, it seems like many players would be happier if they got smaller amounts of tokens more often.

For example, if the odds of looting a bag of 10 tokens is 1%, players might be happier looting 1 token 10% of the time instead. (I'm just making those numbers up.)
    I agree, I'd rather they go straight to my wallet rather than fill up my inventory space. Minor issue of course, but still.

Roughly 13 hrs play time (yes, I have no life, move on) I have a grand total of 60 tokens. I was looking forward to earning a new mount(1,500!!), but I give up. I'll just be happy to get the universal tool kit on a couple of toons and be done with it. Going to ignore the ..go ahead and buy the lvl 85 jewelery and stick it in your bank forever people..It would have been nice to have a bit of lvl 20, lvl 40 ish jewelery to atleast get a bit of shiny out of it all.

/rant

I'll look forward to the next event. Farmer's or Hallow's Eve perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneliel View Post
    I was very excited about this event. I loved the Ring lore event and this sounds very similar. I couldn't wait to get started, and set aside some time to really get stuck-into the hunt. I figured it would be a great time to work on an alt. I ran her to the Shire and grabbed the 50 token quest. But after four hours playing, not a token was to be found. At this type of rate, my hopes of contributing to the server goal, and getting a horse or two, seem to be pretty far out of reach.

I understand this is a long-term event, but I'd at least like to feel that I got something accomplished toward the server count. As I recall, Ring lore dropped fairly consistently--not in a rain from the heavens, but I could play a stretch and log out feeling I had made some progress. Same for the metal anniversary tokens.

I have to say I am feeling pretty daunted. I'll keep trying this week. Even one darn bag dropping would give me a little psychological boost.
    Same for me. I filed a bug report because I think it cannot be that some people get enough tokes to turn in the quest once and also buy some personal items while others don't get even one single token for the same amount of playing time. I think this is something that has to be fixed.
    Gildoriel, Human Guardian, Kinship "Dark Circle", Server Vanyar

Quote Originally Posted by Melaquinn2 View Post
    Roughly 13 hrs play time (yes, I have no life, move on) I have a grand total of 60 tokens. I was looking forward to earning a new mount(1,500!!), but I give up. I'll just be happy to get the universal tool kit on a couple of toons and be done with it. Going to ignore the ..go ahead and buy the lvl 85 jewelery and stick it in your bank forever people..It would have been nice to have a bit of lvl 20, lvl 40 ish jewelery to atleast get a bit of shiny out of it all.

/rant

I'll look forward to the next event. Farmer's or Hallow's Eve perhaps.
    Go pack a couple pages and read the reply by the BLUE-colored Turbine rep. He clearly states that the low drop rate is intentional, and that sometime in the future there will be other, more opportune ways to earn tokens.

I've critized Turbine before for too much frontloading of rewards in Hytbold and how that can attribute to percieved grind. The reason I compare is because Hytbold is another game feature that involves the investment of a lot of time over a long time.

Maybe they listened too well? This event could actually use some frontloading.

It would have been nice if one of the more reliable ways to get these tokens were actually available from the start. Right now we're left over to the utterly brute cold mathematic mercy of the RNG, until the more reliable ways are available. Please make at least one of them available quick.

Still I like this event. I hope (my LOTR keyword: hope - Middle Earth will not be saved by luck, but by hope!) it'll grow over time, in particular because I'll have tokens coming out of my nose at one point.

One suggestion for improvement: how about making +hope increase your chances of finding tokens? That's right, you had better held on to your bounder's feathers!

And could someone please post a screenie of those new furnitures? I'm saving my tokens for the server you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainothon View Post
    And could someone please post a screenie of those new furnitures? I'm saving my tokens for the server you know.
    There was a link posted in the Server Totals thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    Housing decorations from Bullroarer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7800647...7635139725025/

Note the dragon painting was clearly bugged on Bullroarer. Hopefully they fixed it for live.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeCase View Post
    I'm seeing many comments about the drop rate, and I wanted to clarify a few things.

The landscape drops that people are getting are not the only way to get Bounder's Tokens. Over the course of the event, more ways of getting tokens (and more reliable ways of getting tokens) will appear. The landscape drops are a passive thing, that're supposed to provide a steady stream of tokens over a long time. The drop rate on the landscape Bounder's Tokens is intentionally low, because it applies to everyone, all the time, for the entire duration of the event. Think of this more like a marathon, than a sprint.

For those concerned about some servers not unlocking the server vendor and Bounder's Boon: we've taken this into account in our numbers. We've set the value at a point where we feel that every server has a reasonable chance to unlock the final rewards. Larger servers will unlock it earlier, and smaller servers will unlock it later, but the number is low enough that it's designed to be reachable for everyone, if they try enough.

I know that the number looks daunting, but we're only a few hours in, with only one way of obtaining tokens open. We've got more tricks up our sleeve, and we're keeping a close eye on this event.
    This posts needs quoting. It clarifies a lot, thank you!

I love the marathon comparison. Let me build on that to explain how my little massacre of mobs to obtain my first tokens felt to me: You're organizing the match, we're the runners. You've fired the starting gun, and I really really want to cross that starting line. I'm not on my way yet: whenever I want to move my feet to make that first step, the referee throws 5 dices and only if they're all 6-es I may make that one step (the RNG hasn't favored me yet). But I just want to mooooooove. Especially because that starting gun just went off! I may want to take a break at the 10 km mark, but now is not the time for resting . Compare how each marathon has 'hares' running along the first 10 km to 'get the race going'. This event can use a hare

Looking forward to how this event unfolds!

I'll go dust off some forgotten slayer deed and see if I can kill several flies with one stone: get the virtue point, get the TP, get the vendor loot, get the crafting nodes and get my first bounder tokens. Can I haz title 'Clever Grinder' now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bramor View Post
    There was a link posted in the Server Totals thread:
    Ah, thank you! Good to have the link in this thread as well.

Oh by Eru, that butcher's table! It's perfect for a kitchen themed room. The produce one is neat for a storage themed room. And the feasting, well I'm sure many houses (in particular a hobbit hole) can never have enough feasting

Now I'll have this huge Tragedy of the Commons ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons ) dilemma each time I turn in tokens ... server total or butcher's table .... Damn you Turbine for forcing me to make moral choices!
    Last edited by Rainothon; Aug 27 2013 at 04:49 AM. Reason: clarification

I hope Turbine will not listen to much to the whining here on this thread about drop-rates. This event in my opinion has not be to done in 3 days. And not everyone must have all rewards especially the mount, on all alts. There are already nearly no outstanding rewards left in the game, that are rare. Everyone can have everything with no or minor less effort. There were times in this game when some titels or rewards were not easily to get, and
    need some effort to earn them. And it should be this way....

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeCase View Post
    I'm seeing many comments about the drop rate, and I wanted to clarify a few things.

The landscape drops that people are getting are not the only way to get Bounder's Tokens. Over the course of the event, more ways of getting tokens (and more reliable ways of getting tokens) will appear. The landscape drops are a passive thing, that're supposed to provide a steady stream of tokens over a long time. The drop rate on the landscape Bounder's Tokens is intentionally low, because it applies to everyone, all the time, for the entire duration of the event. Think of this more like a marathon, than a sprint.

For those concerned about some servers not unlocking the server vendor and Bounder's Boon: we've taken this into account in our numbers. We've set the value at a point where we feel that every server has a reasonable chance to unlock the final rewards. Larger servers will unlock it earlier, and smaller servers will unlock it later, but the number is low enough that it's designed to be reachable for everyone, if they try enough.

I know that the number looks daunting, but we're only a few hours in, with only one way of obtaining tokens open. We've got more tricks up our sleeve, and we're keeping a close eye on this event.
    Fair enough-- thank you for the input. It is definitely different from the 2008 event, which led first to disappointment. But I will certainly look at how they're implemented in the future.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

The droprate is fine. True. Forgot to mention that.

Quote Originally Posted by cirkonia View Post
    I hope Turbine will not listen to much to the whining here on this thread about drop-rates. This event in my opinion has not be to done in 3 days. And not everyone must have all rewards especially the mount, on all alts. There are already nearly no outstanding rewards left in the game, that are rare. Everyone can have everything with no or minor less effort. There were times in this game when some titels or rewards were not easily to get, and
    need some effort to earn them. And it should be this way....
    Well, I am willing to invest effort to earn tokens. But if after 4 hours of playing time I have nothing while many other people have at least enough to barter for something (and that with less playing time!) I feel as if not the effort is rewarded but it is sheer dumb luck - and that's what I'm discontent with. So at least for me the problem is not the drop-rate by itself. It's rather the feeling that effort is not rewarded.
    Gildoriel, Human Guardian, Kinship "Dark Circle", Server Vanyar

quote:
    Well, I am willing to invest effort to earn tokens. But if after 4 hours of playing time I have nothing while many other people have at least enough to barter for something (and that with less playing time!) I feel as if not the effort is rewarded but it is sheer dumb luck - and that's what I'm discontent with. So at least for me the problem is not the drop-rate by itself. It's rather the feeling that effort is not rewarded.
    endquote:

^this. I'm sick of the RNG being the primary determinant of who gets wealthy in the game (gold 85 recipes), and who doesn't. Who gets nice rings (85 gem drops) and who doesn't. Who gets bounder's tokens, and who doesn't.

What makes it worse are the set of people who set out immediately upon a patch to find the ways to get the stuff early, before Turbine figures out there is something they didn't *intend* (just another way of describing poor programming and poor implentation), and then just about exactly at the time when ordinary people could benefit from the word that is getting out about where you can get the *cool stuff*, suddenly Turbine steps in and *rewards* the exploiter-grabbers by making it unobtainable to the rest of us, letting them keep their booty and profiting from it.

Why can't you set up a system where people who work for stuff get a steady payoff?

I think this is (sadly) a new record. I played for 13 1/2 hours, stopping only to switch from my main to a char that isn't max level. I have gotten ONE stack of five tokens. This was on Eldar. This is totally messed up and I don't think I'm going to be participating...not at this rate anyway. Good luck to all who are trying for the tokens, especially those who play on Eldar.
    Signature? We do need no stinkin' signature.

I also don't like the fact that the bags can give either a bountiful 20 tokens or a measly 5 tokens... You spend ages trying to get one of the damm things to drop and are then rewarded with 5 tokens which feels like a bit of a kick in the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoris_they_spider View Post
    I also don't like the fact that the bags can give either a bountiful 20 tokens or a measly 5 tokens... You spend ages trying to get one of the damm things to drop and are then rewarded with 5 tokens which feels like a bit of a kick in the balls.
    RNG within RNG. Turbine loves that.

You can have between 5 and 70 tokens in one bag... T_T

It's like gold recipes all over gain.

To be honest, now that I saw their comment saying the mob drop is supposedly passive, I now agree with that. But the problem there is that there are very few (at least on my server) people that are still running instances, so the passive mob token drop will be close to nothing - people will have to grind and farm for the passive drop, at least until we see how many drop from the festival and lotteries, but even then, I doubt the festivals will be enough to get to 1.75 million tokens. If they had started this earlier, my view would be different, but everything does always look better on paper.

The last time I saw a pug on my server during my playtime was a week ago.
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

Don't judge a marathon by the first 100 yards.

Call me crazy, but it may even come to pass that the serverwide bounder token goal has actually got to be increased (doubled? tripled?) at one point in time because it's being reached too soon.

Devs make things, players break things.

And then some players go totally creative doing all kinds of unintended stuff.

I'm just carrying on levelling Hodorf as usual. What will drop will drop or not drop. I do rather like the look of that sausage table though!

Was playing for about 3 hours last night and only got one bag of tokens drop. Has it been confirmed that they only drop with on or above level mobs? I was helping out a lower level kinnie for some of that time.
    Fight on my dwavern sisters! May the orc blood always wash right out your frilly dresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosiebelle View Post
    Has it been confirmed that they only drop with on or above level mobs? I was helping out a lower level kinnie for some of that time.
    They drop from all mobs that have a loot table; from grey to purple, from swarm to skirmish lieutenant etc.
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

That's good I can carry on helping folks out and not worry that I should be grinding higher level mobs for tokens or something instead.
    Fight on my dwavern sisters! May the orc blood always wash right out your frilly dresses.

I have been thinking about the best place to farm these tokens.... I will most certainly be paying a visit to FG tonight and pulling the whole canteen etc. Anyone else got any ideas? I wonder if glow worms in DD drop them too.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast