We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

need help to find a realy good computer for this game

well I had a friend build me a computer and it cost me $500 to get it done. well I play on lmlidris and I never get lag but also I run my settings on low just cuz I don't want lag for sure. well now I am playing on bradywine and when its raid vs raid I lag a lot... so now I need a better computer so if ya can help me out with some ideas on another computer
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000f7fc5/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by bingo123 View Post
    well I had a friend build me a computer and it cost me $500 to get it done. well I play on lmlidris and I never get lag but also I run my settings on low just cuz I don't want lag for sure. well now I am playing on bradywine and when its raid vs raid I lag a lot... so now I need a better computer so if ya can help me out with some ideas on another computer
    well step one all that is told to you about pc's by all retailers is a lie and they will do anything to get you to buy anything
    step two get some knowledge on what you are buying for your pc for instance if you are buying ram find out all you can before buying any then go buy the ram you want
    step three make sure that you don't buy windows 8 it sucks if you do you can still be helped with step four

step four if you find the pc with everything you want except it has windows 8 on it buy a windows 7 system install disk or any system install disk that you want on there also when installing a new system remember to download the internet drivers for your system you will be installing and upload them to a jump drive if you don't have one get the cheapest on you can the internet drivers will fit on there. so you can get the rest of the drivers by downloading them strate to your pc once you have it reinstall with the system you want go to this website http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417361,00.asp to learn how to get into the bios once you get into the bios which is different on every pc find the secure boot and diable it and find Legacy Boot and enable it then find save changes and exit and press enter over that this will allow you to boot off your system installation disk once you get it to booot off the disk once you can boot off the installation disk in your cd rom that has the system you want on the pc then once you get into the setup part of the disk click costom not update and delete all partitions on the drive and make a new one with max space this will make the pc make two partitions you only want one delete the one not named reserved for system and expand the one named system to the max size so you have one partition that uses your hole hard drive instead of the left over amount that is named reserved for system it is a waste of space to have and is useless it is better to use all the space on your hard drive for your stuff instead of wasting some on what nothing just what the pc thinks it needs when you are installing the system to the bigger one anyway and that space does not need saved once your system is done installing plugin your jump drive and install the drivers for your internet
    Last edited by Zepherzaper; Aug 31 2013 at 03:38 AM.

well I get that part I just need like info on what other people use on there computer on big servers to not get lagged out all the time
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e2150000000f7fc5/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

It would be a good idea if you post what you already use.

It may well be that a simple upgrade of a component or two might be all you need rather than spending a small fortune on a new system that may not even be as good as what you have once upgraded.

Before you start on anything though, make sure that all your drivers are fully up to date - that can make a huge difference.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

You are having issues with Brandywine PvP it sounds like? PvMP on what is may be LotRO most active servers. Any upgrading you might do may not fix the issue. The Moors has notorious lag issues even with top of the line rigs, and Brandywine has server lag issues all their own too.

Playing creep when I was first trying out the game out on my tower gave me such bad lag I decided to not invest much time in the Moors. That was before further resource reductions to the Moors and it was on a medium activity server. The tower I ran on before a power supply fault took it all down would cost me ~1,800 to rebuild to the same comparative standards in today's market.

A good brand name motherboard to start with. At least mid range.

600 watt brand name Power supply.

8 gigs to 16 gigs ram brand name.

(opinion) Intel cpu i-7 series or mid i-5 series.

Add on sound card brand name.

If you can afford it Radeon 7800 series or higher or GTX 770 or higher.

Latest SSD hard drive for windows and Lotro. Traditional HD for other games/apps

Windows 7.

What did I forget?
    [URL="http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Nibli/media/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/Nibli/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Landroval Server
    Officer of The Lonely Mountain Band
    Whilst cooking for Elevensies, Tinki floors 2 Orcs with her frying pan and fresh caught fish. The frying pan critted for 18 hp and the fish was extra tender afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by morrowbreeze View Post
    A good brand name motherboard to start with. At least mid range.

600 watt brand name Power supply.

8 gigs to 16 gigs ram brand name.

(opinion) Intel cpu i-7 series or mid i-5 series.

Add on sound card brand name.

If you can afford it Radeon 7800 series or higher or GTX 770 or higher.

Latest SSD hard drive for windows and Lotro. Traditional HD for other games/apps

Windows 7.

What did I forget?
    The $500 budget? And that each part you list costs $500 each (slight hyperbole, but only slight) and is state of the art for 2013 to run a 2006 game? To run lotro you need:

Pretty much any CPU in production. Maybe an atom won't work, but the CPU will only have to do things that a single core old-in-2006 machine could do.
    A graphics card that would have been state of the art in 2006. This can get be tricky to determine, but a 560ti does 1920x1080 in 4x antialiasing while underclocked (for a less noisy fan). A 260GT does 1920x1080 well, but likely will need a few tweaks to make even 2x antialiasing look smooth. Using AMD 4270 built in video, would make ~1300x1000 vaguely playable, but anything but pretty.
    SSD cards are everybody's favorite, but I'm not sure there are any obvious load delays in lotro. I think mine is on the [old school] hard drive or will migrate next when I need room. With a $500 budget, an SSD will get easily cramped and there won't be room in the budget for a bulk drive. Better go with a 2TB 7200rpm drive (the 7200rpm is fairly important if you don't have a SSD. The cost difference between 1T and 2T isn't much, and below 1T is almost non-existant).
    Monitor. You will spend all your lotro time (and anything else) on the monitor. Make sure you like looking at it.
    Keyboard. Again, you hands will be there a lot. Remember that.
    Mouse. I repeat myself.
    headset or speakers. I prefer speakers but they tend to preclude a microphone. Headsets are typically cheaper and often sound better, but aren't going to get the directional assistance of a 4-way+ speaker system.

And most importantly: reuse the stuff you can live with. If your problem is server lag (and you only see it in the Moors), than just keep your entire computer. If your issue is video related, just replace the video (you might need to upgrade the power supply as well, but I don't think anybody has non-pci-e graphics anymore). You aren't likely limited by CPU, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure you have at least 8GB of ram with either win7 or win8 (although I know it works with win8 and 4G). Note that some of these video cards (especially if you try to find an older high-end card on ebay) can be pretty long. Make sure they fit the case if you want to reuse and ancient case with modern parts. While I pointed out that you can live with relatively old CPUs and video cards in LOTRO, there is more to computing than this one game. You should find out which is the problem (or what else you might want to run) before building a computer to run LORTO.

[note, during the announcements of the ps4 and xbox1, I did an exersize to see if I could get a "gaming" computer under $500 that would compete with the consoles. I suspect the video wasn't even close (some other nvidia graphics card was on sale, which helped me stay in budget but really wasn't in the same class). The other reason it stayed in budget was I assumed that it would either have an existing monitor, or like the console play on a HDMI TV.]

He did say he wanted a better computer. Apologies if I misread intent.
    [URL="http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Nibli/media/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg.html"][IMG]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae340/Nibli/1267dd37-16f8-412a-b078-df2bffa19539_zpsd8a642b2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Landroval Server
    Whilst cooking for Elevensies, Tinki floors 2 Orcs with her frying pan and fresh caught fish. The frying pan critted for 18 hp and the fish was extra tender afterwards.

He didn't actually say he has a $500 budget, just that it cost him $500 the last time he put a comp together based on what a friend told him. However, I agree that trying to part together a top of the line system from today's hardware to run LOTRO is pretty insane.

Talk to your friend. Have the friend that built your computer look at your build and make suggestions to upgrade but don't expect to have no lag occasionally.

I built the computer I have now and it runs everything at the highest settings and I spent 925 total for the guts at online providers. In the moors I have to turn my settings to low to medium when in raid so almost everyone has lag in those situations. Get good fans and a cooler. Best Motherboard you can afford, don't scrimp on the power supply. Do not get Windows 8.

There is lots of information online. Check CNET. Check build it yourself videos.

I dont believe anyone who plays LOTRO does not play other games on the side. Whatever the game may be.

there are good parts from his 500 $$ computer that can probably be utilized in the next build. Possibly if his present computer has some mid level hardware to recycle it could be pared down to $$600 to $$700/

Ive played LOTRO at low to high settings. If you ever get to see Ultra, you wont want anything less, and that will cost more than $$500 to achieve. my $$950 system built one year ago can handle Ultra ,but Weatherstock crippled it to low. But there were over 700 players gathered in one area. Its depreciated to about $$800.

Just this spring I built an AMD lower midrange machine that will play LOTRO on High most of the time for exactly $300. From scratch. I gave it to my disabled cousin to play LOTRO on. Add Win 7 and it was almost $400. Shop wisely, dont count sales tax, and dont hire someone else to build.

This is Ultra with all the eye candy turned to max:

Last edited by morrowbreeze; Sep 02 2013 at 12:55 PM.
    Landroval Server