We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Crafting is simply TOO slow!

So here's the situation. I start crafting 143 ingots of Khazad iron, and I realize this is going to take a while. But I had no idea how long it would actually take.

To give you an idea how long it takes, here's what I accomplished in the meantime:

Started the hot water running in the kitchen.
    Went to the bathroom.
    Washed a large load of dishes including baking dishes that needed scrubbing.
    Set the dishes to dry in the drainer.
    Cleaned up the splash on the kitchen counters.
    Dried my hands.
    Picked out a snack.
    Returned to my computer.

I was on 138 of 143!

I didn't watch the clock, but that was probably something close to 15 minutes. And for simply smelting, that seems entirely too long. After all, when you truly DO smelt metals you tend to throw everything into a cauldron and just pour out the ingots in one go.

If anything, it should be the item crafting that takes a while since its more involved work, but often item crafting takes LESS time than smelting. Tell me how that makes any sense?

Yes, I realize you can buy speed crafting scrolls and all that nonsense. But I'd expect those to turn a 3 minute job into a 30 second job...... not a 15 minute job into a 12 minute job.
    Last edited by Isdring; Jul 07 2013 at 09:19 PM.

I agree. The higher the tier, the slower it gets. I'm happy about the bulk recipes that are available at the skirmish-crafting-vendor.
    Caputo - Burglar | Drugar - Champ | Wislingard - Warden | Xenilinex - Hunter | Tonenas - RK | Rhichard - CAP

Get better crafting tools, things will go faster.

That being said, isn't "unattended" playing against the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by kmcferrin View Post
    Pretty sure it's not against the rules to go do other things while an automated process that is in the game's design is going on.
    Rules against unattended playing are about setting up third party macros and such.

That said, I kind of welcome the chance to get something else done while processing resources. It gives me a happy sense of multi-tasking. I only wish you could turn off the crits when doing bulk items just for leveling so you didn't have to sit there and click through the offer to name that item you're going to vendor.
    Last edited by Lynore; Jul 05 2013 at 04:53 PM.

Get better crafting tools, things will go faster.
    This. And there are bulk recipes, and (in the store) XP and speed scrolls.

One should not finish all crafting tiers at one day.

btw, it's not that slow. I did T7 an T8 of my woodworker in less then one hour.

Pressing the make all button and then waiting is not "unattended" playing.
    Wer Hilfe will, muss Informationen liefern.
    >> Lotro World transfer status <<

Quote Originally Posted by Amrundir View Post
    Pressing the make all button and then waiting is not "unattended" playing.
    Not if you're sitting there, it isn't. But pressing the "make all" button and walking away, going to the toilet, making a snack, cleaning up the kitchen, and then coming back certainly is "unattended". You don't need a dictionary to figure that out.

Other games have had the standard that macroing was OK, so long as you didn't do it unattended. Basically, if a GM sent you a tell you needed to respond or they would flag you as unattended macroing. I'm not sure if the rules here are the same.

Unattended, yes. Playing, not really. If you're processing ingots or something, your character is just doing the same thing over and over again, and (as part of the game's design) it doesn't require any input from you. IMO it doesn't really count as playing. I've seen many, many people go afk crafting, I do it also, and I've never heard that's it's been an issue whatsoever.

That said, I'd look into some of the bulk crafting recipes, they may save you time.

Not if you're sitting there, it isn't. But pressing the "make all" button and walking away, going to the toilet, making a snack, cleaning up the kitchen, and then coming back certainly is "unattended". You don't need a dictionary to figure that out.
    Also in the dictionary you'll find "nitpick" which is what you're doing in the above posting.

You make it sound as though I've abandoned the game just because I don't want to sit there for 15 minutes staring at the screen doing nothing. That's just stupid.

The idea behind an unattended rule is so you're not setting up a script, going out to dinner and a movie, and coming home 3 hours later to find a full day's worth of crafting done.

Wow... I actually thought that crafting was too fast sometimes. I have some of the best crafting tools you can get (some great ones are cheap in the LOTRO store) and I'm surprised how fast I can power through a profession.

Like the main content of the game, crafting is not just a little side inconvenience. It is an important part of the game that requires a respectful amount of time to level in. Crafting can yield great rewards and should therefore be somewhat time consuming or difficult as such. If you don't like the time it takes to craft, don't do it or change vocations. For example, I've found that farming and especially cooking are very fast professions. You can buy many of your ingredients (and cheap), it goes very fast. However, vocations focused on lumbar, metal, and hides tend to be slower (as you found out). Thank goodness they aren't any slower, because making a single sword or hide jacket takes much longer in real life than in game. Much Longer.

Some advice: Think of crafting as taking a bit of a break from the rest of the game or as taking a break from the game. You accomplished a lot of things in real life while you waited, be glad for that. I use crafting for snack, coffee, or talking-on-the-phone-breaks. Sometimes I look up guides and stuff for LOTRO while I wait.

I've felt the pain of higher level crafting (especially metal crafting), but I think it should not get faster. Anyways, at least you aren't farming. You can't leave your crops unattended, that is a very involved vocation. If I had any beef with crafting, it would be with the crop harvesting system. You can't take a break when farming (kinda like in real life).
    Help me build my LOTRO Performance Reference Guide!
    Link for Mac users

Quote Originally Posted by chrisli View Post
    Unattended, yes. Playing, not really. If you're processing ingots or something, your character is just doing the same thing over and over again, and (as part of the game's design) it doesn't require any input from you. IMO it doesn't really count as playing. I've seen many, many people go afk crafting, I do it also, and I've never heard that's it's been an issue whatsoever.

That said, I'd look into some of the bulk crafting recipes, they may save you time.
    Bulk crafting is the way to go for speed. *thumbs up*
    Help me build my LOTRO Performance Reference Guide!
    Link for Mac users

What I do, is once I hit master on any level of prospecting or forester, is if I do not need any materials to craft with I tend to leave my hides as hides and ores as ores. Then when a guild member is levelling up, I let them convert the items for me ie hides into leather, ores into ingots and they get the xp for it and are very happy for the help
    But yes, crafting overall is a little slow

If this counted as "unattended playing", Turbine wouldn't have built a "craft all" loop into the UI.

In both scenarios, whether I'm sitting there or not, there is no possible input from the player. There's nothing to react to, no expected actions, no third-party software, and no in-game advantage gained.

If I stay at my computer, I spend 15 minutes not interacting with the UI.

If I do a load of dishes, I spend 15 minutes not interacting with the UI.

In both cases, the net outcome for my character is precisely the same....150 ingots made.

No dictionary required there, either...just a little common sense.
    The forums are not an accurate representation of the thoughts and feelings of the whole player base. Those who like a particular feature are in the game enjoying that feature. Those who don't like it log out to mention it on the forums. It is a relevant but biased source of feedback, and any claims of community desire should take this fact into account.

Quote Originally Posted by themateika View Post
    Thank goodness they aren't any slower, because making a single sword or hide jacket takes much longer in real life than in game. Much Longer.
    So does riding 100 miles on horseback, or learning a new combat skill. We suspend real-life constraints in the name of smooth gameplay all the time.

This is a timesink that servers no purpose except to be a timesink. That said, the monetization potential of avoiding that timesink (the scrolls) means we probably won't see any change in this one. I'm ok with that...this is a pretty low-impact area for Turbine to monetize.
    The forums are not an accurate representation of the thoughts and feelings of the whole player base. Those who like a particular feature are in the game enjoying that feature. Those who don't like it log out to mention it on the forums. It is a relevant but biased source of feedback, and any claims of community desire should take this fact into account.

Between my Cook and my Farmer, I've just spent two solid days and probably 5 or so gold (probably closer to 10 gold) supplying buffs for friends and my own characters. Crafting is not necessarily fun.. or fast.. but it is an investment and can be rewarding. It is also a moment of inhalation before setting out and questing/raiding again in earnest. The alternative is to spend almost as much time in the auction house. Granted the two are not mutually exclusive, but if you do step into the auction house, better to be a seller than a buyer.