We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: RK revamp

Hybrid View

RK revamp

How do you think the skill trees are going to effect the RK's ability to both heal and dps? If necessary, are we going to be able switch from dps to healing in a single battle? What kind of effect will this have on attunement? Any ideas?

This is similar to what I have been wondering as well. The reason I picked RK for my main is that heal traited I can heal almost like a mini and lightning traited i can dps almost like a hunter. To me the whole reason for the class is that we can do either, but not both (at the same time). I looked through the dev chat from last night and see that they say you will be able to change specializations...for a price. This, I hope, will allow us to keep most of that versatility as long as the price is somewhat reasonable. (Talked to a kinny and he said in rift a complete respec cost about 100g) They also say we can change traits without having to go to a bard as long as we are out of combat, so we would be able to do a bit of switching at least. And I dont think it would have much affect on out attunement other than the fact that there wont be several skills that grey out when you hit your first attack/heal because they just wont exist.
    At this point with no more info than they are giving and a silent dev I think all we can do is wait....and pray.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrix View Post
    To me the whole reason for the class is that we can do either, but not both (at the same time).
    I don't know if it's ever been explicitly said but I feel this, especially the last part, is one of the main goals. They want Rune-Keepers to do good damage or good heals. One or the other but never both at the same time.

Will we be able to off-heal a 3-man in full DPS spec? No idea. We will all have to wait for open beta to find out.

At this point with no more info than they are giving and a silent dev I think all we can do is wait....and pray.
    Maybe even the devs are not sure yet where everything is going to land. Maybe the "improved" RK hasn't even gotten off the design board? Perhaps we're lying gutted with our skills hanging out on some MMORPG class operating table with the devs standing around humming, saying "I think we'll give all the bubbles to Minstrels (lying on another operating table next to Rune-Keepers). They've been QQ:ing a lot about Rune-Keepers being too good" or "I think we'll take out Mending Verse and give them Bolster Courage instead, I think I saw on the forums that RKs like to be BC spam bots".

Would you want to hear "A will happen and B will not" only to find out later that "We found A to be boring and went for B instead"? Imagine the QQ. I for one would rather get a dev post stating how things will be, baring minor balance tweaks, than a lot of "I think we'll maybe do this".
    [I]A small cog in a big machine.
    [/I]
    Life has no "Undo" button, only "I'm sorry". Thinking before doing is a good thing.

my concern is that we'll lose some of our utility. I was dpsing in a group and the Minnie went down. it took me a minute to get reattuned, but when I did, I took over healing. i'm just wondering how something like that is gonna play out with the trees. is that even going to be possible? but, you're right. until more information comes out, all we can do is cross our fingers and pray.

Quote Originally Posted by Templa View Post
    How do you think the skill trees are going to effect the RK's ability to both heal and dps? If necessary, are we going to be able switch from dps to healing in a single battle? What kind of effect will this have on attunement? Any ideas?
    Reading about the devchat of yesterday i have some thoughts about it.
    It looks like people will have just 2 trait lines, not 3.

Personally i think we still will be able to heal and DPS (one trait tree for each role).
    By one side, things will be better for us. Trait lines will be like war-steed trait lines, which two free presets. This means you can go full heal or dps in the same instance if u have both sets on ur bag (you wont need Bard to retrait). This is great

On other hand, hearing we will have just 2 trait trees makes me wonder what they will do with Lightning+Cleanser. Which one will stay? Will they union them?
    Im not so sure i'll enjoy how this will end, since i love both trait lines.

This is similar to what I have been wondering as well. The reason I picked RK for my main is that heal traited I can heal almost like a mini and lightning traited i can dps almost like a hunter.
    Just dont forget you can do MORE dps than a hunter traited fire :P

Yeah same thoughts here. Im worried about what they will do to us, specially when they say "everyone will have to sacrifice survivability for dps, and vice versa".
    Bah, theres no way to make us squishier, what they plan to do? =/

I tried run 3 questions on dev chats about RKs but they just ignored me...
    Lets hope we got some dev diaries soon.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e6ebf/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

If you'd kept reading the transcript thread, you'd note that sapience cleared up that gross misconception. Every class will have 3 trees, just as you currently have 3 trait lines(r/b/y). At no point did they state or even imply there woudl be only 2, that is something people without a long enough attention span read into things.

Thumbs up

Sound like keeep rk attunment & dual function in combat with trait trees will be specially complicate to build. Well i choose this class cause i like challenges. Looking forward to tree system .
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

I really hope they're not going to dumb down--or worse, nerf--my RK.

Our goal, and it isn’t the same across the board, is for all classes to have around 20 skills after spending all their points.
    A15a: Things like travel paths will not count towards this cap.
    So let's say I'm DPSing. Right now there are 7 fire skills and 7 lightning skills. Let's say I'm willing to sacrifice Sustaining Bolt (power's never a problem) and Essay of Fire (I just piggyback it onto better skills). Now that's 12 used. Give me Writ of Cold for a short AOE burst, and Essence of Winter for some decent DPS, and let's say lose the rest of the Chill of Winter skills. Up to 14. Gotta have Final Word for corruption removal and Calming Verse to drop threat. 16. I'm not going into a group without my OOC rez, and I want the SANE for curing. 18. Have to have DNF to Flame/Storm for some instances. 19. Now, let's say that in our case, "around 20" means 22. So I can have my Rock, Prelude to Hope, and Writ of Health on the healing side while I'm DPSing.

I'm sorry. That takes an awesome class and makes it boring. I play an RK so that I can adapt to the situation as needed. I have healed on a DPS trait line when the healer went down. I have used Steady Hands or steadying attunement skills to switch to DPS while healing in order to deal a final blow on a boss to make the fight that much shorter.

If I wanted to stand there with a short rotation, I'd main a cappy.

Quote Originally Posted by thefamilyosc View Post
    If you'd kept reading the transcript thread, you'd note that sapience cleared up that gross misconception. Every class will have 3 trees, just as you currently have 3 trait lines(r/b/y). At no point did they state or even imply there woudl be only 2, that is something people without a long enough attention span read into things.
    At twitter they did tell it would have just 2 for hunters. Thats where this history born.
    If they cleared it after, its ok.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002e6ebf/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Abbiati View Post
    At twitter they did tell it would have just 2 for hunters. Thats where this history born.
    If they cleared it after, its ok.
    No, in Twitter they were comparing two of the hunter trait lines, and then later in the Twitter Q&A they talked about the third line.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]