We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Some hard decisions

Almost two months ago, I've bought 3 months of VIP membership, and the RoR heroic editions, that comes with Moria, Loríen and Evendim. With the monthly 500 Tp bonus, I've also bought the Isengard quest pack. So I can simply go on leveling with only one little gap, between evendim and Moria, if my VIP time is over. But, it isn't. And the only character that I have brought to Moria yet, hasn't done much of the 4 regions that are beneath Moria's level. I'm talking about Eregion, the Misty Mountains, Angmar, and Forochel. So I've decided to get my elf hunter from level 36, and 3 other characters to Moria, each trough one of the 4 regions. But is one month enough? How much can I do? And the most important: which classes should I use. Please don't say warden or Rune-keeper, I do not have those. And My character in Moria is a guardian.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2322100000016b43a/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

It takes some players 2 weeks to get cap without many issues. The levels between Evendim and Moria can be easily covered with epic, crafting and skirming. None of the post Evendim regions are very good leveling places. And after VIP is up you only have 3 slots. If you have a guard and hunter already, choose your next wisely. The others will be locked until you go VIP again. And for reference Angmar is mostly 3 and 6-man stuff, everyone hates Forochel, MM is fun but sparse quests, and Eregion is 45-53 with little to do. Do what is most enjoyable for you. Moria is when content starts picking up so you will have fun there. Get your 3 toons Moria ready (50 +/-2 levels) before VIP runs out then charge onward into great abyss and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Peresbert View Post
    IThe others will be locked until you go VIP again. And for reference Angmar is mostly 3 and 6-man stuff, everyone hates Forochel, MM is fun but sparse quests, and Eregion is 45-53 with little to do.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Forochel myself. It is almost entirely solo, though. Angmar is good if you've got a good group to run with. To each his own. <shrug>
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." --J.R.R. Tolkien (Gandalf, Fellowship of the Ring)

Quote Originally Posted by Peresbert View Post
    And after VIP is up you only have 3 slots.
    That is true indeed, but I was planning on getting on another server as well, so the lack of slots in not there. If Angmar is really for group playing, I will not do that on, becuase I'm on a lonely server.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2322100000016b43a/01000/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Gradalin View Post
    That is true indeed, but I was planning on getting on another server as well, so the lack of slots in not there. If Angmar is really for group playing, I will not do that on, becuase I'm on a lonely server.

While Angmar does have a large number of fellowship quests and instances, it also has a large number of solo quests. I think there are more solo quests in Angmar than in Trollshaws and Misty Mountains combined. (Mainly due to the fact that both the Trollshaws and the Misty Mountains have relatively few quests.)

Well I wasn't planning on going to Misty Mountains after I heard how long it would take for one character to reach level 50, since the quest that I did do in the misty mountains were plain boring. But does anyone have good advice for my third character? Any combinations in the way of classes and regions? I will do Forochel with my hunter, and I have got a level 18 cappy, but are there classes that are nicer to play than a cappy?

I would suggest a mini if you like ranged damage without inductions and ability to kite. Like high damage, but close range, go for a champ. Of coarse, is you want to try out a stealth character, then go for the burglar.
    Redterrier

Classes - Redterrier listed my three favorites. Captain has the lowest solo dps in the game, as you may have started to notice. They are also the most fun class in the game in groups, so it can be worth it if your captain is on a server that's active during your playing time. Regardless, I advise you to create plenty of characters across several servers before your VIP time comes up, just in case you later discover that your current main server isn't very active or otherwise doesn't suit you. Server transfers are very costly, planning ahead to have characters with all the VIP unlocks ready for you wherever you might want to go is cheap.

Couldn't disagree more with Peresbert's advice. Forochel and Eregion are both excellent regions. School and Library are run fairly often at cap so you'll want to have Eregion when you hit endgame as well. Angmar is very good, as ertr noted it has tons of solo quests in addition to the landscape group quests nobody does anymore. Also Urugarth and Carn Dum are excellent instances which are the fun way to finish your level 50 class quests. It should be easy enough to get one or more kinmates to come along to help, or when your first character is higher level you can solo them for whatever your alts need.

Misty Mountains is fine, but more for completionism than anything else. Fewer quests than the other three you mention, with a fair bit of running back and forth. In the long run you should have all zones - quest and exploration deeds are a good way to build up your virtues. And maybe you'll get lucky and someone will run Helegrod sometime on your server.

Note, you don't have to only do one of the four regions per character. Even Angmar would have trouble taking you from 40 to 50 by itself. My standard routine back when I still had characters to level was Trollshaws concurrently with the later bits of Evendim, follow the epics into the western Misty Mtns in the low 40s and then western Angmar around Aughaire. That nicely hits 45 - do Vol. II prologue to get LIs, then mix eastern Misty Mtns (enough to finish the quest deed), Forochel, eastern Angmar, visits to Sarnur to get kindred with Thorin's Hall and the rep goat, then Eregion in the low 50s. Typically finished questing around Mirobel at 52-53 and entered Moria at that point.

Well spoken, and thanks for the information. The things about different servers will surely be what I will do now. but however, I didn't really like doing quest wherever the epic story line brings me.

everyone hates Forochel, MM is fun but sparse quests, and Eregion is 45-53 with little to do.
    I found Forochel to be wonderful. Misty Mountain was kind of boring in my opinion with pretty slow leveling. Eregion is perhaps one of the best parts of the game as far as lore, beautiful landscape, ease of leveling and gear rewards before Moria.

Captain has the lowest solo dps in the game, as you may have started to notice.
    My captain can easily out DPS my guardian.

If you're looking to be involved with endgame content, Champions, Mistrals, Captains and Guardians do not have trouble finding groups. RKs and Wardens are great, but you have to unlock the class with real money or Turbine Points. Hunters can find groups as DPS but there are a lot of them in the game so sometimes it's just a bit oversaturated. Right now burglars just don't really have any content for which they're great at so while I'm sure you can get into groups with one, they aren't super popular right now.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq358/drschplatt/sig-lotro95.jpg[/IMG]
    [URL="http://www.osf.guildlaunch.com"]The Order of The Silver Flame[/URL] - A fun, mature, helpful and friendly kin. Come join us on Silverlode!
    [/CENTER]

Allright everyone, thanks for the help, I think I've decided what to do. I will make two a lore master and a minstrel, one on Landroval, one on Laurelin. I will do Forochel with my hunter, who is now in Evendim. There is only one question left, can anyone explain how to take the VIP bonusses on the characters? I mean the things that will stay after your VIP is gone?

(scroll down if you don't want to see the wall of text)

I don't have Angmar, nor did I level in Angmar when I was still VIP, but based on replies I saw in the forums there are a handful of quests that you can solo there. Just avoid the last quest in the quest chain which is usually a group quest, I suppose - or drag a 85 from the kin (heck, you could even try glff and give up after 1 minute of asking) to pew pew everything for you.

Otherwise, Forochel is probably your best bet. I know many people who like Forochel. Personally I think it's alright, but I prefer being able to swim through the lake (people loathed the swimming part in Evendim, imagine if you can't swim and have to walk all the way to the other side!) to speed things up... kinda. Inb4 you'll freeze to death, it's illogical to be able to swim past, etc.

Misty Mountains AFAIK has a (relatively) wide level gap between quests, you can do one or two, leave when you see orange quests, come back in a few levels.

Afterwards, Eregion is kinda optional. If your class isn't too squishy you can skip it and start Volume 2/Moria at 48-ish. Feel free to grab some levels in Eregion if you feel unsure, or for the rewards - you can find decent rewards once in a while.

Oh for the epic, you don't really have to follow it. It's nice to do it though, just do it alongside with your other quests so you won't have to run back and forth too much. They offer good rewards usually. If you get dragged to somewhere you will most likely not visit, you could do them if you need the level up to fill in the gap between quest packs. Skirmishes also work but they get boring after 20 runs

As for classes, seeing you chose your Hunter as your 2nd, well, it's up to you really. Your playstyle... and what toons you have on your hand.
    Champions and Minstrels will breeze through landscape with Minstrels being in demand more than Champions later on.
    Captains are slow but are greatly needed at level cap.
    Lore-masters get better as you level up (ie, not so good at early levels), not really essential for most instances but will help out a lot if the group has one.
    Burglars... well, I'm not too sure. Seems like they're not required now, and only serve as DPS now (eg: Draigoch required something like 2 Burglars). Fun to play as you earn more skills though. Bonus points to their stealth and Hide in Plain Sight, when you have to go to an orc-camp to kill their leader, just sneak past all the adds!

Wardens and RKs are fun. That's all I'll say about them.

EDIT: Dang it, I'm too slow.
    Some bonuses cannot be kept, eg: free gold Hobbit Present every week, VIP bonus experience. Those which are unlocked, eg: trait slots, riding skill (the quest for the skill won't be kept, but the skill, once you have earned it, will be kept), will be kept. So log onto all of your characters at least once to make sure you unlock the trait slots.
    See here for more info.
    [COLOR="#669966"][center][size=1]Mildford - R9 Hunter • Support - R7 LM
    The Storm Crusaders • Gladden[/size][/center][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Gradalin View Post
    There is only one question left, can anyone explain how to take the VIP bonusses on the characters? I mean the things that will stay after your VIP is gone?
    All you need to do is create the characters and log into the game on all of them.

You don't even have to go through the starter area; just log them in once before the VIP time runs out.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.