We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3

    Stuck on Book 4 Chapter 8

    Hi one and all, I am stuck on book 4 chapter 8, and can't complete the final boss at the end, I have been trying to get help to do the quest with no joy, in fact i gave up and didn't play for a year. my gameplay is following the story line, and if anyone, would be kind enough to help me complete this quest, I would be most grateful, thanks. my chratchers name is ERTHRELDOL, I am level 41 champion and stuck :-) lol

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    389
    I looked for your name, but couldn't find you!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Green part of a blue-red state
    Posts
    4,174
    How are you stuck? Can you not kill the boss? I have been stuck in this instance where the initial stone you 'examine' does not advance the quest. If this is the case, you need to file a ticket and have a GM re-set it.

    If you are having trouble defeating the final boss, he is tough, but you need to keep a few things in mind. 41 IS a tad low to try this solo if I recall.

    1. Try to buff up with food and scrolls if you can. Use a HOPE token.

    2. When the shades appear, stop fighting the Naz and kill those.

    3. Have your special skills ready (and not on cool-down)

    4. Check to make sure you have decent gear. You can get a super set of gear for level 40 in Aughaire by doing a quest arc (available at 39, but rated around 44).

    5. Bring potions. Morale, Power, FEAR.
    [COLOR=#ffff00]''[I]A man[/I] of rare [I]perception[/I]. In fact [he] had such rare [I]perceptions[/I] they amounted to hallucinations.'' [I]Walt Kelly
    [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#add8e6]
    Dottiel,[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] Kinship(s): [/COLOR][COLOR=#00ff00]There is no Fifth Star[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] (Meneldor)[/COLOR]; [COLOR=#00ff00]Fifth Star Vagabonds[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] (Riddermark)[/COLOR]

  4. #4
    At 41 you are not high enough level to complete this level 40 instance solo. The Troll at the end is hard to beat. My suggestions:

    1) Level up.
    2) Get better gear
    3) Use Food, Lore and Hope Tokens, healing potions...
    4) Understand the Boss's special skills and tricks and try to counter them. Do not try to DPS the Boss and ignore everything else.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotlbeme View Post
    How are you stuck? Can you not kill the boss? I have been stuck in this instance where the initial stone you 'examine' does not advance the quest. If this is the case, you need to file a ticket and have a GM re-set it.

    If you are having trouble defeating the final boss, he is tough, but you need to keep a few things in mind. 41 IS a tad low to try this solo if I recall.

    1. Try to buff up with food and scrolls if you can. Use a HOPE token.

    2. When the shades appear, stop fighting the Naz and kill those.

    3. Have your special skills ready (and not on cool-down)

    4. Check to make sure you have decent gear. You can get a super set of gear for level 40 in Aughaire by doing a quest arc (available at 39, but rated around 44).

    5. Bring potions. Morale, Power, FEAR.
    He is on the Unmarked Trail for Volume 1, Book 4. You are describing the fight at the end of Volume 1, Book 5.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3
    Many thanks for all your suggestions, I have tried most of what you said, focus on him and kill his sidekicks quickly :-). but your right I am two low to do this solo, Im sorry you cant find me if anyone does want to help me , please can they leave there name I will friend you if thats ok and ask for help when online, many thanks :-)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    238
    Might want to mention the server you are on as well (unless i missed it).

    That instance is a tough one to do solo at that level.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolad View Post
    Many thanks for all your suggestions, I have tried most of what you said, focus on him and kill his sidekicks quickly :-). but your right I am two low to do this solo, Im sorry you cant find me if anyone does want to help me , please can they leave there name I will friend you if thats ok and ask for help when online, many thanks :-)
    Oh god I remember doing this quest for the first time. Took me two days because the first day I ragequit so hard I wasn't sure I would play again x)

    Since then I've gone through it about 5 more times with my capped main to help out lowbies. It's just so amazingly satisfying to go back there to massacre everything.

    Don't hesitate to ask random people ingame for help (including on GLFF). I'm sure I'm not the only person with vivid memories of this quest, and I bet you'll easily find people who remember it and will be willing to help you on the spot.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Brandywine
    Posts
    1,757
    What server are you on? If you're on Brandywine or Firefoot, I have toons that can help.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Green part of a blue-red state
    Posts
    4,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    He is on the Unmarked Trail for Volume 1, Book 4. You are describing the fight at the end of Volume 1, Book 5.
    Heh my bad...

    Then my suggestion is to gear up, buff up. and when you get to the wood trolls at the end, make sure you take out the side trolls first. Or...like you say...level up...

    Oh and when you do get to book 5, SEE MY POST ABOVE!
    Last edited by Dotlbeme; Aug 27 2013 at 10:42 AM.
    [COLOR=#ffff00]''[I]A man[/I] of rare [I]perception[/I]. In fact [he] had such rare [I]perceptions[/I] they amounted to hallucinations.'' [I]Walt Kelly
    [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=#add8e6]
    Dottiel,[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] Kinship(s): [/COLOR][COLOR=#00ff00]There is no Fifth Star[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] (Meneldor)[/COLOR]; [COLOR=#00ff00]Fifth Star Vagabonds[/COLOR][COLOR=#faebd7] (Riddermark)[/COLOR]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    553
    I thought All the Volume I book quests were revamped in a way that allowed a player the choice to either pick the group quest option in which case you will actually need to have a group if you are on level or close to level. the Vol 1 books also should have a Solo option to select, in which case when you enter the instance it should provide an instant buff to increase all your stats to make it completable.

    Did they change the epic quests again so they no longer offer a choice?


    If they still offer the options of fellowship instance quest or solo instance quest, then perhaps try droping the quest, go back to the npc you got the epic quest from and see if he/she offers an option for solo instance so ya can get the buff up.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Posts
    29
    I was a level 42 champ when I completed this instance solo. I also happened to make a music video of it which I'll post the link below. Skip to timestamp 7:30 to jump to the boss fight. Also, (the following is copied from lotro-wiki) the boss has a knockback skill, which he will use on you, then run after you to continue fighting, which results in the fight moving farther and farther away from the starting location. If the fight moves too far from where it began, Taushakh will reset, running back to the start point, regaining ALL of his morale, and applying the skill Hardened Bark. Since Legolas is still in the area, Thaushakh will instantly re-aggro and the fight will start all over again, without giving Legolas and the player a chance to rest and heal up. Therefore, if knocked back, try to return to the location where the fight started.

    You can see this in the video at timestamp 9:30. At the time I thought he was just returning to his meeting place with the Nazgul to instantly heal himself so after that happened, I positioned myself between him and the place where the Nazgul was trying to prevent him to run back there. However, by doing that, I think I was unintentionally compensating for that kickback to not throw me out of the area too far away from the starting location.

    A couple of other things. Use Hope tokens. I wished I had them when I was fighting this instance. And try to use clobber and your horn to break his healing inductions.

    Good luck!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9a-4bIgTL8

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2099 View Post
    I was a level 42 champ when I completed this instance solo. I also happened to make a music video of it which I'll post the link below. Skip to timestamp 7:30 to jump to the boss fight. Also, (the following is copied from lotro-wiki) the boss has a knockback skill, which he will use on you, then run after you to continue fighting, which results in the fight moving farther and farther away from the starting location. If the fight moves too far from where it began, Taushakh will reset, running back to the start point, regaining ALL of his morale, and applying the skill Hardened Bark. Since Legolas is still in the area, Thaushakh will instantly re-aggro and the fight will start all over again, without giving Legolas and the player a chance to rest and heal up. Therefore, if knocked back, try to return to the location where the fight started.

    You can see this in the video at timestamp 9:30. At the time I thought he was just returning to his meeting place with the Nazgul to instantly heal himself so after that happened, I positioned myself between him and the place where the Nazgul was trying to prevent him to run back there. However, by doing that, I think I was unintentionally compensating for that kickback to not throw me out of the area too far away from the starting location.

    A couple of other things. Use Hope tokens. I wished I had them when I was fighting this instance. And try to use clobber and your horn to break his healing inductions.

    Good luck!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9a-4bIgTL8
    I agree with this strat. This instance has always been tough, even before the revamp. Hope tokens and food is important. regen food is a must and strategize on stopping his inductions, if you have a stun or interrupt you need to use it when he starts the heal otherwise at level this one is gonna take a long time and be very frustrating. i remember when this one back at launch was full fellow and it was a beast of an instance then as well. Everyone had to be on their toes.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3

    Many Thanks

    Hi many thanks for all your advise, I shall have another attempt today, oh i am on Evernight server :-)

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagmuk View Post
    I thought All the Volume I book quests were revamped in a way that allowed a player the choice to either pick the group quest option in which case you will actually need to have a group if you are on level or close to level. the Vol 1 books also should have a Solo option to select, in which case when you enter the instance it should provide an instant buff to increase all your stats to make it completable.

    Did they change the epic quests again so they no longer offer a choice?
    Only Volume 1 Book 1 and 2 have the two versions. All the later Volume 1 Books use the same instance. The group (which might be one character) get a buff called Inspired Greatness that scales based on the group size. Size 6 - the buff is zero. For maximum fire power take a group of 3-4 characters because you still get a nice buff.

    Volume 2 has no common thread. In some cases you have Skirmishes that can be size 1, 2, 3, 6, 12. Others are solo that you can take one more person (duo). There are two that come with a solo or a 3 person version - Mirror Halls and Water Works. Some have the Inspired Greatness method.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Aug 28 2013 at 03:32 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    The group (which might be one character) get a buff called Inspired Greatness that scales based on the group size. Size 6 - the buff is zero. For maximum fire power take a group of 3-4 characters because you still get a nice buff.
    Just to touch on the Inspired Greatness buff. If you're going into an instance that has a lot of dread, that dread will negate your buff. Like many in this thread has said before, bring planty of Hope tokens to fight this. Later Epic Quests will have a lot of dread as well expecially the ones in Angmar. If you are not in a Kin or know someone with a Jeweler alt, then I would suggest looking for them in the Auction House or store.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload