We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is Darnarbugud worth buying?

I am trying to get rare and unique housing items for my home, as anyone I'm sure tries to do. I looked up where to get some, and found that 3 of them are in the instance Darnarbugud, a Lothlorien Quest Pack instance. I later bought the Moria expansion, I looked and it said I had Lothlorien, but when I tried to do the Darnarbugud, it said I had to unlock it. So I'm wondering if the Lothlorien Quest Pack is worth buying.
    Last edited by GDeVries; Aug 18 2013 at 09:20 PM.

A few things to consider.

First, I do not believe Dar Narbugud scales to max level yet. That, and it's not a very visually appealing raid. So, while I can't speak to the exact numbers, I don't think very many people run it often. And if you do get into a group, you'll be rolling against 11 other people for most of the housing items. That said, if you're running with a group of level 85s, the instance shouldn't take very low, as you'll be able to steamroll through just about all of the bosses, with exception of maybe the second-to-last boss because of mechanics involved in the fight.

Second, in my experience, the rare housing trophies had a very low drop rate. It wasn't like the Balrog sword, which dropped every time you ran it. I haven't run the raid in several years, since it's no longer end-game content, but I don't think they ever upped the drop chance. Moreover, at least one of the items, the Orc heads, required that you acquire one of -each- head before you could turn it into a single housing item. This drove my kin-leader at the time crazy, as he had to hold on to these couple of heads for almost a year until he got all three and was able to turn it into the proper housing item. The Mistress's Egg was or whatever it was proved to be easier to obtain, but it still had a low drop rate.

All in all, it's hard to say if the raid is "worth" buying. If you're doing it solely for the housing items, I would probably say that no, it is not. It would require a lot of hard work and a lot of time to obtain the items, unless the drop rate has been greatly increased in the past few years. At best, you can hope that perhaps some day they'll add the items into the skirmish barter NPCs, like they did with Thorog's Skull from Helegrod. Though with the state of housing at the moment, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Other than Dar Narbugud, I believe the Lothlorien quest pack will also provide access to a couple of 3-man instances in Moria, in which trophies also drop from. I know there's a mosey covered troll arm, and a set of bat wings from a Morrevail boss. These are easier to come by, so long as you have the group necessary to complete the instance. But again, you'll still be competing with that random number generator in hopes that the housing trophies actually drop.
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

As noted, the DN raid is not scaled. So, IMO that means it is still an outstanding raid and for me at least is a fun one to run with toons in that level range. The scaling of older raids has failed so miserably that pure DPS wins regardless of the mechanics that should be in play. I highly recommend it if you have toons in the raid range and are bored with the current tank and spank used for current 6 mans and "raids".

Going againt the Blind One and the Mistress on level or close to it is a very nice challenge.
    Used to show a pic... Seems to be broken links now. Good Ole Turbine.

Ok thanks for your answers. I also have a few more questions.... Is it worth spending TP on different skirmishes, and the Erebor instances, and Isengard raids?
    Server Nimrodel, Main: GageWDeVries, Dwarf Champion, 79
    Galair, Elf Warden, 44
    Grage, Man Lore-master, 45
    Grodo, Hobbit Burglar, 32, Kinship, Company of Gage(Leader)

Well, "worth it" is highly subjective. The isengard cluster is fixed at level 75, so it's not done much anymore, though the instances can still be interesting even at 85. Skirmishes, while scaled, still use the old loot system and aren't all that interesting, so there isn't much motivation at the moment to do them either. Erebor instances have a rather dull design, but good loot and are scalable.
    So for practical use, I'd say Erebor > Skirmishes > Isengard. When it comes to instance quality/fun factor however order would be Isengard > Skirmishes / Erebor (all personal opinion of course).
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

I'd suggest make sure you have all non-group content first: Quest Packs and Expansion quests take priority. After that you can look to buying group content.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000000704a/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

This is a really fun multi-stage instance - especially on level. It has mechanics to each of its fights that require people to pay attention and coordinate - elements not necessarily required of players in the Erebor "raids".

I hope it's in the queue to get scaled.
    A vote for Sapience is a vote for progress? A 4th fix to get Draigoch to "dragon up" that still doesn't fix the persistent bug in the raid is not how I define progress.

Ok thanks for all your answers, this has helped me a lot.
    Galair, Elf Warden, 44

On Brandywine it gets PUG'd a few times a week, but usually only to the Blue section. Why? Because that's where groups run into Flagit, the first boss that requires them to actually listen to instructions, and invariably fall apart because half of the raid refuses to pay attention. However if you can find a group that's just willing to listen, the raid is tons of fun with mechanics that will still challenge even level 85 players.

Lothlorien is worth getting because it also includes 3 other instances, as well as being a fairly easy zone with some very nice crafting recipes for the 60-65 level range.
    Last edited by Ameranth; Aug 24 2013 at 06:57 PM.

I can confirm that the housing item drop rate is VERY low. In 4 runs I have seen a total of 1 housing item drop. And you will be fighting for it against the rest of the raid, though you can run it with less than 12 if people are high level.

I can also confirm that Flagit is the #1 cause for groups breaking up in this raid, and quite possibly all raids ever. There's always somebody who takes over half an hour to understand the concept of "don't always attack the boss".

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    I can also confirm that Flagit is the #1 cause for groups breaking up in this raid, and quite possibly all raids ever. There's always somebody who takes over half an hour to understand the concept of "don't always attack the boss".
    I recently did a DN run where after 2 failed attempts on Flagit, the 4 of us who weren't complete idiots didn't rez any of the other 8 and simply waited for them to all die from not paying attention to the eye. We then proceeded to kill Flagit by ourselves, rezzed them all, and proceeded on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    I can confirm that the housing item drop rate is VERY low. In 4 runs I have seen a total of 1 housing item drop. And you will be fighting for it against the rest of the raid, though you can run it with less than 12 if people are high level.

Indeed. Our kin ran it numerous times when it came out and continued even after Mirkwood was out. We only ended up with one or two of the housing items which we put in the kinhouse. the drop rate is hugely low on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Ameranth View Post
    I recently did a DN run where after 2 failed attempts on Flagit, the 4 of us who weren't complete idiots didn't rez any of the other 8 and simply waited for them to all die from not paying attention to the eye. We then proceeded to kill Flagit by ourselves, rezzed them all, and proceeded on.
    I found when we ran it with 6 people (75 and up) it was actually easier then with 12. Good time for a few to go get a beer.
    Used to show a pic... Seems to be broken links now. Good Ole Turbine.

Again thank you all, I think I might get the quest pack just beacuse it gives me quests crafting and such etc.
    Galair, Elf Warden, 44