We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Looking for a little advice

Greetings all

I may have signed up for LOTRO years ago... but I never got around to playing it. I now have come back to give it a try, and am having an absolute blast! I've been playing around on a hunter, and although I enjoy feeling very powerful, hunters are everywhere and I just don't want to play a DPS class (as I always have... I'd like something new!)

So, that leads me to a little research. I've scoured the forums, read the wikis, and studied a few blogs... and what I'd really like is one of the more support style classes, and I've narrowed it down to two. Captain, and Loremaster.

I don't prefer melee over ranged, or vice versa, so that's not an issue. I'm leaning slightly more towards Captain, because it seems they may be in more demand, and I do love using 2 handed swords quite a bit... heavy armor seems it could be a plus as well.

Anyway, I thought I'd check here... what does the community think? I'm a group player... and only solo when I have to... so which would you choose in this situation?

(I do plan on trying both and seeing what I like better as well... I'm just curious on the consensus as well!)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000317705/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Captains really shine in groups. They are pretty "meh" solo. You really feel the full power of your class when grouped, and groups ALWAYS love to have a Captain. I would advise getting a partner to level whenever you can. Solo leveling on a Captain is not very exciting.

Lore-masters are also wonderful additions to groups. They are also very decent solo in the higher levels. Solo leveling, however, is not their strong suit. I think it may just the gift/curse of support classes. I would say that Lore-master solo leveling is easier than Captain solo leveling though. And LMs do become very powerful solo classes at level cap, whereas Captains are still best for grouping even at level cap.

Welcome back to the game! I think either class is a solid choice for your playstyle.

ETA: Captains shout. A LOT. This may or may not get on your nerves. Lore-masters are completely silent.

Also Captains wear heavy armour, which I have found to be more difficult to find as there are not as many metalsmiths as there are tailors. Captains are right in the thick of things using a sword (or other melee weapon).

Lore-masters wear light armour, much easier to find gear. They normally stand back in group fights because they're squishy, although melee DPS isn't bad. Lots of "magic" effects (lightning, fire, etc) and mage-like flourishes with the staff. Things go boom.

Both are pet classes.
    Last edited by Frieja; Aug 16 2013 at 01:39 PM.
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Frieja View Post
    ETA: Captains shout. A LOT. This may or may not get on your nerves. Lore-masters are completely silent.
    Voice wise they are silent, but they have a lot of explosions, signs and lightning storm sound effect. Just a warning for OP.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Frieja View Post

Also Captains wear heavy armour, which I have found to be more difficult to find as there are not as many metalsmiths as there are tailors. Captains are right in the thick of things using a sword (or other melee weapon).

The shouting is actually a really good point... Thanks for that!

I'm surprised that there wouldn't be much heavy armor. It completely makes sense with your explanation, but I just wouldn't expect that. Maybe that's incentive to start one and make him a metalsmith eh?

Thanks for the input! I'm excited to get one of them going this afternoon!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000317705/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Insomniaq View Post
    Maybe that's incentive to start one and make him a metalsmith eh?
    Most of captains which I know are metalsmiths This includes my cappy too. Seems like a cool profession and you can make your own legendary emblems

Anyway, the classes you choose from are beloved by groups. I find captains much easier and more boring to play... while the demand is higher and everybody loves you. Lore Masters are fun and you get to do a lot of things including some absolutely unique skills (stun immunity is one of those). Drawbacks: long inductions and animations, sometimes LMs are underestimated by groups.

I love both classes and recommend to level both Leveling is fast anyway, and both classes start shining only at higher levels: after lvl50, ideally after Moria legendary skills which you get at lvl58-60.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtarel - Hunter / Kadarka - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight