We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What happened to my.lotro.com?

I've had a quick search but can't seem to find anything about this.

I used to use my.lotro.com a lot, be it to check my characters, enter the lotteries, post on the fora, or consult the lorebook. Now, logging into it for the first time since U11, it's lost all that functionality - where has it all gone? Where do I find my character data, or the lorebook? It's taking some getting used to.
    [B]MAINS:[/B] Svitjolf [I](Arkenstone)[/I], Korpsgar [I](Gilrain)[/I]
    [B]NOTABLE ALTS:[/B] Pendergasta, Irkwulf, Kasspir, Beornagen [I](Arkenstone)[/I]
    [B]KIN:[/B] Followers of the Fifth Elephant [I](Arkenstone)[/I]

Are you trolling? They took it down, and replaced it with these new, faster, better forums. There is no more Lorebook. There is no more leaderboards. The only way to view your character data now is in game.
    Lethareth, the Celebratory

Hello! That my.lotro.com was going away was announced about 4 months ago and has been discussed quite a bit since then, and even more since it actually went away over a week ago.

@whheydt

Not everyone is 24/7 on the forums and post 1500 times a year

He has 7 posts in over a year, its quite likely that he actually DIDN'T see anything concerning this.

Thanks, KayrilZender, that's exactly the situation. I generally only go into the forum when I have a specific query.

I hope those functions get restored - having to go into the game to check on character details is quite a nuisance when I just want to check something. The Lorebook... well, with lotro-wiki I guess it's pretty much redundant, but still.

I note also that my sig seems to have changed... I shall have a hunt around and see if that's part of the migration to the new forum or if someone's made merry with it...
    [B]NOTABLE ALTS:[/B] Pendergasta, Irkwulf, Kasspir, Beornagen [I](Arkenstone)[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Korpsgar View Post
    I hope those functions get restored - having to go into the game to check on character details is quite a nuisance when I just want to check something. The Lorebook... well, with lotro-wiki I guess it's pretty much redundant, but still.
    These features are gone forever. Too little utilization by the customer base to justify maintaining them.
    I note also that my sig seems to have changed... I shall have a hunt around and see if that's part of the migration to the new forum or if someone's made merry with it...
    All exported data from the Game Servers has gone away. If you had one of your characters in your signature, you had a broken link. Sapience changed all these broken links to a hot pink "Vote for Sapience" plug. He correctly figured that most people would be so annoyed that they would redo their signature. His plan certainly worked in your case.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

At least the character stats from my lotro are where they have always been and are still updated. You access them with this Windows sidebar plugin: http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...nfo.php?id=494

Quote Originally Posted by Lethareth View Post
    Are you trolling?
    Is it really that hard to believe that not every player spends all their time on the forum? I generally find that when I do have time to play LOTRO, I spend that time in the actual game. Perhaps leaping straight to an accusation of trolling is not the most charitable approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty
    Sapience changed all these broken links to a hot pink "Vote for Sapience" plug. He correctly figured that most people would be so annoyed that they would redo their signature. His plan certainly worked in your case.
    Yes, it did. Because it makes it look like the account's been hacked, and it comes across as unprofessional. I couldn't care less about the colour, or indeed the message - but there's nothing in there to say it's an official change. It would have been a simple matter to put "Character sigs no longer supported" or something relevant instead, or maybe even send out a forum message to all users (I can't think of any forum package that doesn't have that function these days) to let them know that the function was being removed? As it is, it relies on people logging in all the time, and in the meantime puts an irrelevant message there in their name.

Thanks for the tip, Schaijian - I'll give that a try.
    Last edited by Korpsgar; Aug 19 2013 at 07:31 PM.

i hate this style and where is my friends list?

I've had a quick search but can't seem to find anything about this.

I used to use my.lotro.com a lot, be it to check my characters, enter the lotteries, post on the fora, or consult the lorebook. Now, logging into it for the first time since U11, it's lost all that functionality - where has it all gone? Where do I find my character data, or the lorebook? It's taking some getting used to.
    Well I would not say that this was any kind of upgrade it was supposed to be. They just striped the old web site down and turn it into a forum only make this site almost useless. Of all the things they kept the forum was least useful. I used all the other features way more and they also promised to get the lotto back up which is still not done. I would rather have back the old slow useful site any day.
    It would seem we lost the best to gain nothing. Well almost nothing they say the forum is faster. WOOT big deal Now folk can fight faster in the forum complain faster and insult each other faster.

It would be nice if they would at least get the lotto up they promised it was not working before and still is not working and it was the only good thing they where going to make better, So my friend that is that as they would say.

It won't be hard to used the this site and it really don't do anything. I made my own forum on my Kinship web site and it works just as good as this one and it took 10 min

Is it really that hard to believe that not every player spends all their time on the forum? I generally find that when I do have time to play LOTRO, I spend that time in the actual game. Perhaps leaping straight to an accusation of trolling is not the most charitable approach.

Yes, it did. Because it makes it look like the account's been hacked, and it comes across as unprofessional. I couldn't care less about the colour, or indeed the message - but there's nothing in there to say it's an official change. It would have been a simple matter to put "Character sigs no longer supported" or something relevant instead, or maybe even send out a forum message to all users (I can't think of any forum package that doesn't have that function these days) to let them know that the function was being removed? As it is, it relies on people logging in all the time, and in the meantime puts an irrelevant message there in their name.

Thanks for the tip, Schaijian - I'll give that a try.
    I agree 110% I freaked when I seen that that was a very poor plug, I think that was about like the person that laughs at the own jokes as I did not see that to be funny one bit. My first thought was my account was hacked. I would say as I never like that person to start with then seeing any about voting for them was in bad taste to say the least but then again the site change was in bad taste too, so I guess it goes together. This new site just plain stinks.

Someone said here that no one used those features that's why they were removed. That is propaganda to justify making a striped down web site that any armature could make in 5 min and as there was no one left qualified or capable to maintain the old site so they just dumbed down the web site like they are doing to the game it all fit the plan as the game winds down to it's end which should be very soon.

Ah, just came here to find out what happened to MyLotro, kind of disappointing.
    Hrolief - Landrovel

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Too little utilization by the customer base to justify maintaining them.
    Rubbish, for example the leader board website had thousands of hits daily and the alt finder sites had hundreds of hits daily, both these sites pulled from information tied to my.lotro.

More likely it was too costly and far too much work to fix them.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post
    Rubbish, for example the leader board website had thousands of hits daily and the alt finder sites had hundreds of hits daily, both these sites pulled from information tied to my.lotro.
    Since these two sites are gathering data from Turbine via bots, I would not count any of their access activity as hits on Turbine's servers. Identifying and removing bot hits is an important aspect of any real traffic counts. As a web site owner you are only interested in hits generated by humans.

Any user activity for alt finder or the fan leader board does not count either because it not a Turbine site that is being hit. If it was up to me at Turbine I would have blocked the bots that were pulling data so that I could get a better utilization figure. Unfortunately by having a fan site leader board you are redirecting traffic from Turbine to the fan site. This reduction in Turbine traffic helps justify the removal of the Turbine data.

The alt finder web site has the same problems - machine generated hits that do not count. Plus the redirection of traffic to the alt finder web site.

Since these two sites are gathering data from Turbine via bots, I would not count any of their access activity as hits on Turbine's servers.

You know i'm talking about physical people hitting those sites, each and every one of them is indirectly a hit on the lotro site through those sites, those sites are just an intermediary that sorts the data for them.

Besides we're not talking about hits on a website, we're talking about how many people used the information generated from that website which is a completely different thing.

So stop trying to wriggle out of it by talking rubbish.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

Thanks for the info guys. I actually had trouble with the my.lotro.com setup in that it wouldn't let me log into the forums.

As for using the info from my.lotro -- I'll admit that I was one of it few frequently infrequent users. I used to play LOTRO like it was a second job for about 3 years (from launch I was easily playing 8-10 hours a night). Since I cut down my play time I've been hitting it off and on every couple months. That said, I couldn't always remember what my character had equipped, and when I was doing research during the work day it was helpful to be able to see that stuff at a glance.

TL;DR: Glad I can log into the forums again, but I miss the my.lotro character info.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000002c32f/01008/signature.png]Thaeryn[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Beolron View Post
    Ah, just came here to find out what happened to MyLotro, kind of disappointing.
    Ah, same. Shame, I am just updating my game files as I haven't played in ages and wanted to check on my chars while I'm waiting. I used to use this feature a lot... especially to look up kin / friends' characters to see what I could do for them. Hope they bring it back.

You know i'm talking about physical people hitting those sites, each and every one of them is indirectly a hit on the lotro site through those sites, those sites are just an intermediary that sorts the data for them.
    There is no indirect hit. You get the data directly from the third party site without Turbine being involved. What Turbine sees is a machine generated mining activity. As a site owner you ignore mining hits that are done by Google, Bing or any other site. Unless of course you want to make site changes so that the miner daemon fails.
    Besides we're not talking about hits on a website, we're talking about how many people used the information generated from that website which is a completely different thing.
    As site operator, you only deal with internet access requests. You can sort these requests by unique IP address. You can't convert IP addresses to "number of people" easily. Each IP address could be one or more humans. Not all humans at a single IP address are unique. Some humans will use more than one IP address. Typically you count a unique IP address as one human. If 3,000 people are using a third party site which does a back end inquiry to Turbine for each request then Turbine count that site as one person not 3,000 person.
    So stop trying to wriggle out of it by talking rubbish.
    There is no wiggle out here. You are not understanding how the counting is done. As I said previously the most that a third party site would be counted as would be one person. Generally you would put their activity in a special category like machine generated ad messages called spam for email, the robo telemarketer calls or junk mail from the post office. It is an annoyance to the end users that are being bombarded like Turbine for mining. It is only interesting from a system wide standpoint if there is some way for the Internet Service Providers, phone companies or post office to monetize the traffic.

There is no wiggle out here. You are not understanding how the counting is done.
    Oh yes there is, and yes i understand how the counting is done.

I'm however telling you it shouldn't have been done like that because people DID use the information provided by the sites that used the data from my.lotro, that is an INDIRECT HIT, meaning that information was being used by a LOT of people.

It does not matter one iota whether people logged into the original site to get the information or not, they were using that information. I know of multiple websites that closed down because they can no longer mine that data, each one had hundreds if not thousands of hits daily from people using it for guild website rosters and so forth. Just because they aren't logging into my.lotro does not mean they aren't using the information it produced, because they are end of story there is no argument you can make that would change that fact.

It does not matter one iota whether people logged into the original site to get the information or not, they were using that information...
    ...which may have been a problem all by itself if multiple external sites were scraping their entire database on a regular basis. That's almost certainly far more load than would be generated by "hundreds" of players looking up their own individual data on a daily basis.

In any case, when they announced this last April, I thought we'd probably see a tidal wave of complaints about it, but it turns out we didn't. The complaints when they announced it numbers in the low "dozens", and when it vanished for real there maybe a few "dozens" more. Then a slow trickle of one or two people a week asking where things went, how to look up a character they'd "lost", etc. This argues for a pretty low participation rate on the features, no matter which sites people were using to aggregate the data. Because if it were vital information to a non-trivial percentage of players, I'd sure expect more than 50 to show up and complain.

Khafar
    Last edited by Khafar; Oct 28 2013 at 10:48 AM.

Keep it nice guys!

Any user activity for alt finder or the fan leader board does not count either because it not a Turbine site that is being hit. If it was up to me at Turbine I would have blocked the bots that were pulling data so that I could get a better utilization figure. Unfortunately by having a fan site leader board you are redirecting traffic from Turbine to the fan site. This reduction in Turbine traffic helps justify the removal of the Turbine data.
    As the person who built/ran daily stats, this is a poor excuse to shut it down/block bots because the functionality that people desired from the my.lotro leaderboard was not there. The my.lotro leaderboard merely gave you the current statistic in terms of rating and infamy/renown. There was zero aggregation, zero history/delta which was of the primary interest to my site's viewers. The website needed to scrape once a day yes, which I did at offhours (usually 1-3am in the morning depending on timezone), then did its calculations and aggregation to transform the data into something useful. Which guild did the best today, for the week? Which server has the heaviest action? Which classes rake in the renown vs others? Who was the top infamy//renown earner that day? Those and many other elements did not exist in the leaderboard implementation here. The only monetization of the site was through displaying 2 ads (and not those super annoying ones), the rest was a cost born by me.

Do I agree that alt finder was a misuse? I'll agree with that, it exploited a poor coding issue. But the number of people who on a daily basis looked at daily stats and took pride in themselves, their guild, and/or their server certainly numbered far more than 'a few dozen' to more than a few thousand unique hits per day. And that's because they couldn't get the information from my.lotro's leaderboard here without a script looking at the population and taking a snapshot every day for over 3 years. (I had data back to 2009 when we started this up). Also one reason why you may not have seen as many 'complaints' as you thought you would (and I saw quite a number personally which disappeared), was that around 60% of my site viewers were EU based. If the site truly caused a detriment, in 3+ years of operation I was never asked about it, told about it, or saw any post on it. (and it was VERY easy to identify who I was and to send me an email).

My 2p

Quote Originally Posted by aklouie View Post
    The only monetization of the site was through displaying 2 ads (and not those super annoying ones), the rest was a cost born by me.
    A significant portion of the cost was paid for by Turbine. Turbine gets no benefit. Turbine only gets an additional cost in the form of load on their server and bandwidth expense when you pull the data.

Many data sites like Florida vehicle title database charge for full records. IIRC - Florida charges 1 cent for every record pulled. You can put a VIN directly into the Florida database to get a mini record.

Gutted my.lotro.com has gone too. It was one of the things that initially set Lotro aside from other online games.

yes it is possible. in my case I had not been on in about 10 months. when i logged on i found that the button for the My Lotro was gone and no evidence of why. So now I had no clue where to find the event calendar or even how to log into the lottery.
    Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Hello! That my.lotro.com was going away was announced about 4 months ago and has been discussed quite a bit since then, and even more since it actually went away over a week ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast