We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Valiant Strike Legacy Prior to Level 58 ??

Trying to find out WHY, you get a Valiant Strike Legacy on your LI prior to Level 58, when it becomes a "Trainable Skill", it's Useless while Your Under a Level 58....
    Seems like something that needs to be Addressed

I don't think there are any legacies that are "level locked" to not appear at LI's below a level, and really doubt the tech for that even is realistic.

While a dead legacy is really unfun, if the choice would be between "suck up that it's gonna come on earlier LI's and thus be a dead legacy prior to 58" or "all right we'll, fix it by removing it and make a different legacy instead" I know what I'd prefer. And yes, I do think those are the most realistic options, unfortunately

Hopefully that's something that will be adressed with the class revamp. I propose Valiant Strike to be available at lower levels as it's a nice skill and (without knowing how Big Battles will turn out) most likely a skill that will be useful in Big Battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrantiri View Post
    Hopefully that's something that will be adressed with the class revamp. I propose Valiant Strike to be available at lower levels as it's a nice skill and (without knowing how Big Battles will turn out) most likely a skill that will be useful in Big Battles.
    Valiant strike is very good skill at end game. It gets rather better with LIs and particularly with HOH capstone, so moving VS lower won't help quite so much anyway. For LIs, you could move it to 45 I guess. I'd rather see blade brother dropped much much lower, DPS is a real need at certain points when levelling IMHO. Mind you, I've never actually select VS healing -- I take Melee skills healing instead of it. If I were a macroing sort I might make a VS centered emblem, but I don't use macros, and VS can be used so often (with hyboldt 7 targets in your fellow counting a LM pet) that I'd not want to switch manually.

Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    Valiant strike is very good skill at end game. It gets rather better with LIs and particularly with HOH capstone, so moving VS lower won't help quite so much anyway. For LIs, you could move it to 45 I guess. I'd rather see blade brother dropped much much lower, DPS is a real need at certain points when levelling IMHO. Mind you, I've never actually select VS healing -- I take Melee skills healing instead of it. If I were a macroing sort I might make a VS centered emblem, but I don't use macros, and VS can be used so often (with hyboldt 7 targets in your fellow counting a LM pet) that I'd not want to switch manually.
    I agree about Blade-brother, but I think you're forgetting Blade-brother has the exact same problems as VS but to a much higher degree.
    Beginning state: +25% damage to your BB for 10 sec
    Tactical Prowess trait, +5 sec to To Arms - lvl 40
    +15 sec from LI - lvl 45
    Fellowship brother - lvl ~40
    Capstone - lvl 58

As your herald does pretty much no damage anyway, Blade-brother isnt interesting for soloing until you get Fellowship brother and even then Capstone will be a huge boost.

...As your herald does pretty much no damage anyway, Blade-brother isnt interesting for soloing until you get Fellowship brother and even then Capstone will be a huge boost.
    It does however make a boatload of difference for duo-ing, not entirely uncommon. I was in my 30s with my Captain when RoI came and the +25% Damage version of To Arms vanished from Shield-brother. Realising "Oh lovely, one of the most DPS-increasing skills I had just disappeared. Available to me again in around 40 levels. Thank you Turbine!"

The fact that Shield-brother actually starts as a skill that does nothing at all except enable the other skills, and then in the late 50s gets upgraded to have an small persistent effect on its own, while Blade- and Song-brother comes in as "upgraded" straight away really felt like adding insult to injury to leveling captains. They could have added those skills right where they did, but as upgrades, and adding "basic" versions of them in the 30s and 40s.

I really hope that both Heralds and X-brother skills gets drastically reshuffled in the upcoming revamp!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadd_EU View Post
    It does however make a boatload of difference for duo-ing, not entirely uncommon. I was in my 30s with my Captain when RoI came and the +25% Damage version of To Arms vanished from Shield-brother. Realising "Oh lovely, one of the most DPS-increasing skills I had just disappeared. Available to me again in around 40 levels. Thank you Turbine!"

The fact that Shield-brother actually starts as a skill that does nothing at all except enable the other skills, and then in the late 50s gets upgraded to have an small persistent effect on its own, while Blade- and Song-brother comes in as "upgraded" straight away really felt like adding insult to injury to leveling captains. They could have added those skills right where they did, but as upgrades, and adding "basic" versions of them in the 30s and 40s.

I really hope that both Heralds and X-brother skills gets drastically reshuffled in the upcoming revamp!
    How much is a boatload? +25% damage for 10 seconds is about +4% damage increase in average. Granted, some fights only take 10-20 seconds thus making more use of To Arms, but it's not making that much of a difference as long as the duration is only 10 seconds. As for "one of the most DPS-increasing skills" it's a given because you only have like 2-3 DPS increasing skills when at lvl 30's.

With that said, I agree it's a good boost for duoing.

How much is a boatload? +25% damage for 10 seconds is about +4% damage increase in average. Granted, some fights only take 10-20 seconds thus making more use of To Arms, but it's not making that much of a difference as long as the duration is only 10 seconds. As for "one of the most DPS-increasing skills" it's a given because you only have like 2-3 DPS increasing skills when at lvl 30's.
    It can be rather better than 4% used cleverly (e.g. if the target uses big cooldown skills while it is up). But I agree, it is a bit underwhelming. Getting archer earlier and having archer hit harder seems like a good solution maybe. I leveled my Capt first, which is good, because if I had done my RK first I'd probably have been rather frustrated with the slow DPS in the 30s-50s....

With that said, I agree it's a good boost for duoing.
    Duoing with good communication, and with the trait for +5s duration, it sure felt like it sped things up. I definitely felt a decrease in our combined DPS when I lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadd_EU View Post
    Duoing with good communication, and with the trait for +5s duration, it sure felt like it sped things up. I definitely felt a decrease in our combined DPS when I lost it.
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Tactical_Prowess_(deed)
    I'm fairly sure the deed for the 5s trait starts at lvl 40, so it's not of much help at lvl 30's as you said earlier.

The loss in DPS could probably be felt, I don't doubt that. I just don't think it's that much of a difference, and certainly not enough to bring leveling Captains' DPS to the level I'd like to see.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Tactical_Prowess_(deed)
    I'm fairly sure the deed for the 5s trait starts at lvl 40, so it's not of much help at lvl 30's as you said earlier.
    Huh... I must be misremembering then, I could have sworn it was while we were doing Evendim and such, not MM/Foro... Anyway, in my 40s, with 30 levels to go before regaining it, then

The annoyance was really mostly with having a skill effect be reshuffled that far. Sure, I got something else in its stead, sure it might not have made as much of an impact as it felt like (though that feeling is a big part of what matters to me). Skills were shuffled around a bit then, for both Guardian and Minstrel. If it had been a question of swapping two skills 10 levels apart, that would have felt a whole lot more OK. "Oh, shucks, I got this skill I'm not really using much instead and will get the one I'm used to back in 6 or 8 levels" feels a lot different from "...in 30 levels". Or another way to look at it: "get it back before the first expansion" as opposed to "get it back after almost 3 expansions"...