We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Plugin request for alt equipment status

I have no clue how to do plugins myself, and since the thread did include requests......

Since the forums no longer allows one to search for active characters and see their equipment, I was wondering if it would be possible to create a script that would allow one to at least see their own alts in game?

I've only started using Lua scripts this weekend, but have been highly satisfied with the alt inventory tracker and the other one that gives me the stats of my alts. I was wondering if either the alt status one or perhaps a new one could be updated or created so that I can see what equipment is currently on my alt, including the equipment's stats?

Just wondering, and have no earthly clue how difficult it would be, but if someone IS working on it, I'd greatly appreciate knowing when it comes out!

Short answer: It's coming in AltViewer 1.00 or 1.01

Long answer:
    AltInventory 2.x had an equipped items panel. When Turbine broke some of the Lua API functions it was a debugging nightmare so AltInventory was split up. AltInventory 3.x retained most of the inventory functionality. ItemTracker was created to cover the quantity tracking functionality. The wallet panel functionality was added to the existing Wallet plugin. Lastly, AltViewer was created to cover all of the remaining non-inventory panels. AltViewer uses a more modular approach to panels which will make it far easier to maintain and debug should Turbine break another part of the Lua API (this seems to happen far more often than you might expect). As a result, all of the panels from AltInventory require significant modifications before being implemented in AltViewer. That combined with the existance of the my.lotro character sheets made the Equipped Items panel a fairly low priority (I really did not anticipate working on it until late 2013 or early 2014). The loss of the my.lotro character sheets has caused me to reprioritize my ToDo list and the Equipped Items panel has been given a significantly higher priority (work has already started on parts of it).

Disclaimer:
    Even once the Equipped Items panel is migrated to AltViewer, it will be significantly limited. There is no way to provide item stats for items on characters other than the currently loaded character - basically, all that is exposed to Lua is the item name, description, quantity, icon, background image, shadow image, etc. Unfortunately, the item ID which is needed to create a tooltip (or quickslot) is NOT exposed to Lua unless the user happens to drag and drop the item while playing. We've asked Turbine to add the item ID to either the ItemInfo or the Item structure but so far they have not even responded. We continue to keep our fingers crossed. The only other way to implement item IDs would be to build an item database into the plugin but that is a massive undertaking, would use a tremendous amount of resources and would be nearly impossible to maintain and even then there's no guarantee that item names are unique (i.e. it ain't gonna happen).

As to being notified when it comes out, just add AltViewer to your Favorites at lotrointerface.com and you will get an email (assuming you entered a valid email when registering) whenever it gets updated. You can also use LunarWater's Plugin Compendium to keep track of and install plugin updates (for those plugins that have a .plugincompendium file).

I'll be happy with whatever you come up with--most of my alts wear crafted clothing and jewelry and even just giving me the name that a particular alt is wearing will be a great help for my tailors, so I don't have to log out, log into the alt, write down what they have, and then go back. And even if I have to alt+tab out of my tailor to see what the stats are on non-crafted equipment, at lest I don't have to log out of one toon and then on to another and another and another.......I have a lot of alts, so even basic functionality would be a huge help!

And I do greatly apprciate Altviewer and Altinventory-great job! Thanks for the fast response, and I will keep an eye out for the updates!

Well, EquippedItems may be delayed a bit. While migrating the EquippedItems panel I was finally able to isolate one of the client crashes that caused me to break up AltInventory in the first place and it is integral to handling equipped items I may be able to develop a work around but this has to be thoroughly tested and documented in bug reports first which is an incredibly tedious process since each test typically results in a client crash

EDIT: After some additional testing it has become evident that the GetEquipment() method itself is causing the crashes (it takes several login/load/unload/logout cycles to produce the crash) so equipped items won't be implemented in AltViewer until that bug gets squashed
    Last edited by Garan; Aug 17 2013 at 01:46 AM.