We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Keep me logged in! Pretty please.

I haven't seen this among the known issues, which is surprisingly small.

Perhaps this is because I'm using Chrome and not IE or one of the many others, but I'm not getting a "keep me logged in" checkbox. Is this working as intended? Can we expect such checkbox anytime soon?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Cambruin; Aug 12 2013 at 02:12 PM.

You're not seeing it in the known issues list because it's not an issue. It was a decision made by Turbine/WB related to forum security. Sapience said somewhere (not sure where right this instant) that changing it is not an option.

There are workarounds - several posted in this very forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto_the_First View Post
    it's not an issue. It was a decision made by Turbine/WB
    Actually, it is an issue for Turbine's customers - one they intended to cause. I consider it a defective specification from some pointy-haired boss at Turbine. Yes, I'm using an auto-refresh plug-in to keep me logged in, but that has its drawbacks too... I've lost more than one post because it refreshed just before I pressed "Enter" in the edit box, and the default for that popup is "Leave this page". And if I ever forget to leave the LOTRO forum up for even a little while, I'll likely be logged out again.

Grr. I may write something else to keep me logged in (like a Windows service which runs as "me", and issues an HttpRequest every 15 minutes). If I do, I'll share it somewhere.

Khafar

You're not seeing it in the known issues list because it's not an issue. It was a decision made by Turbine/WB related to forum security.
    This is the same strange reasoning Turbine uses.

While yes, it is a design decision made by Turbine, and not deemed an issue by them, it IS an issue for a number of players, viz: the threads that show that players indeed feel this to be a very annoying feature (or lack thereof, rather).

Outright denying that it is an issue for those players will not magically cause the posts to disappear or stop.

SNy
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

So unless I'm mistaken none of us can stay logged in without work-arounds and all that because of security reasons? Random logouts on the previous forums caused lots of frustration for lots of players and Turbine's way to deal with it it by making auto-logouts a 'feature' due to some "security issues". Dear lord. No wonder there's so much mockery on Massively, MMORG.com, IGN, 9lives, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    Actually, it is an issue for Turbine's customers - one they intended to cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by SNy-lotrolinux-EU View Post
    Outright denying that it is an issue for those players will not magically cause the posts to disappear or stop.
    Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's not an issue for the users and an issue for usability. I'm just saying that Turbine doesn't consider it an issue, and that's why it's not on the forums issues list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambruin View Post
    So unless I'm mistaken none of us can stay logged in without work-arounds and all that because of security reasons?
    That's what they've told us. I visit all three of Turbine's forums, and they all have this 'feature'. I find myself just browsing the forums these days, with a LOT less posting than I used to do, for this very reason.

That's what they've told us. I visit all three of Turbine's forums, and they all have this 'feature'. I find myself just browsing the forums these days, with a LOT less posting than I used to do, for this very reason.
    Me too. I consider this to be the major downside of the new forums.
    TANSTAAFL