We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unable to launch game - drops out after selecting server

I got booted out mid game, and ever since i have not been able to log in. I get as far as clicking on my server, but never get to the character screen, instead the game just disappears and i see the desktop. No message come sup until i force quit and reboot. Then i Get...

Game error (34641648)

The game client was passed invalid command-line parameters [PlatformStringID_Must RunFromLauncher]

Does anyone have an idea?

I'm im on a Mac OS X 10.8.4

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    I got booted out mid game, and ever since i have not been able to log in. I get as far as clicking on my server, but never get to the character screen, instead the game just disappears and i see the desktop. No message come sup until i force quit and reboot. Then i Get...

Game error (34641648)

The game client was passed invalid command-line parameters [PlatformStringID_Must RunFromLauncher]
    Hard to say exactly ...

1- Don't run from Steam. The Steam Overlay causes problems. Launch once from Steam; when the Ring Icon appears in your dock, right-click; select Options/Keep in Dock. From then on, simply launch using that ring in the dock.

2- The error implies that you need to completely quit the game client and re-invoke the launcher. It may be best to re-boot your Mac to do this.

3- Try a different server. If it works, you may need to submit a ticket to get your account reset for the failing server. (Make certain you tell support what server you are trying to access as well as your character name.

4- You may need to submit a ticket to get your account reset for the failing server. (Make certain you tell support what server you are trying to access as well as your character name. *(Yeah. Same as in 3)

Support.turbine.com select "support center" at the top... select "Submit a Ticket" on the next page.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

This turned out to simply be a launcher issue. If i dropped the game icon out of my launcher and launched the game directly from applications it worked. BUT i had to get rid of the icon from the launcher first.

I am not very skilled with my mac. So how does one get rid of this launcher icon?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    I am not very skilled with my mac. So how does one get rid of this launcher icon?
    I am not certain what Duncan means by "Launcher Icon."

I assume that he is referring to the "Ring Icon" found in the Dock.

If that is the case. It can mean that the application is actually still running -- right click on it and select "Quit". The ring should go away. Should the "right-click" show "Application not responding," then select "Force Quit." If it does not go away in a few moments, it will probably be faster to reboot your Mac than to wait for the Force Quit to take effect, which often takes 45 minutes!

If the Icon was "locked" into the dock, it can simply be removed by dragging the icon out of the dock. It will disappear in a "poof."

To find the actual application, when downloaded from Steam... via the Finder...

<you>/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Lord of the Rings online/

Library is a hidden directory in OSX (since Lion). To get to it... Select the "Go" menu of the Finder; press the "command" or "alt" key. The Library entry will pop-up in the Go list of locations. Simply select it at that point.

The Steam overlay is known to cause problems. To launch LOTRO without the steam overlay, use the application directly from the Steam directory.
    <you>/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Lord of the Rings online/The Lord of the Rings Online(tm).app

Once the Ring appears in the Dock, right click on it and select "Options" "Keep in Dock." Then in the future you can simply use that Ring Icon to launch the app.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I did not download the game via Steam, but directly from the lotro download site. I don't know if is makes any difference but i used the instant play and noet the full game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    I did not download the game via Steam, but directly from the lotro download site. I don't know if is makes any difference but i used the instant play and noet the full game.
    ?? What instant play.... there is no "instant play" option for the Mac Client. ... oops I stand corrected. That is an entirely new option that wasn't there "last week." I have no idea what it does.

... I note that the "FAQ" they refer one to for the Mac is ancient. It claims that the Mac Client is still in Beta, and that support is limited... at least they got the "support is limited" "mostly" correct -- non-existent except for these forums would be a better description.

Historically, the "instant play" mechanism only downloaded the Starter Areas for new characters. You had to wait until the install completed to go beyond the Introduction area. (i.e. you did not have access to all of Ered Luin, The Shire or Bree.)... but I have no idea what it currently does. And since Turbine hasn't bothered to keep "us" here on the Forum informed, I guess it's up to me to sit and play with the new download again.

... I wonder if this also implies they got rid of the PMB downloader???

Sigh... no game play for me for a while, I see.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (91)