We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unhappy How many People are playing LOTRO?!

hey there, im playing lotro with a friend of mine and we are wondering all the time why we cant find other players (more than 5 or sth.)???

i really like this game but we cant get a group together for everything....?!?

is there a list of active players on a server or something??

You won't see many active players at lower levels. Most toons are either capped, or know how to level efficiently and so will sprint through an area faster than you. Since most of the action is at cap, you won't see too many lower level folks running instances either. The gear is outleveled very easily and the XP is lower than if they just quest or run solo skirmishes.

If you want to talk to people (since chats are regional, and most capped players won't be in your region) join the GLFF channel. /joinchannel GLFF . It won't help you find a group probably, but you'll be able to communicate with people, ask questions, etc.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

To give you an honest, albeit oversimplified answer:

There are lots and lots of people playing LOTRO . . . but you are not one of them. You are playing a different game that is called Angmar. There are four different lotro games: Angmar, Moria/Mirkwood, Isengard, and Rohan. The original game, Angmar, is the one you are in. They developed a new game called Moria, and, essentially, they involuntarily migrated all the players out of Angmar and into Moria, leaving Angmar as a depopulated shell. The solo parts of Angmar still work as intended, and can be quite enjoyable, but the group parts of the Angmar game will never again work as designed, because they were designed to be played by six players of almost exactly the same level, and its a near impossibility to achieve that now that the Angmar game has been depopulated. They then repeated that pattern two more times with two new games called Isengard (which depopulated Moria/Mirkwood) and Rohan (which depopulated Isengard). Although Turbine still refers to all four games collectively as LOTRO, its really only the current game, Rohan, in which the multiplayer content is playable as it was originally designed.

So your choices are to enjoy the solo content by yourself or with a small number of other players, or level up to level cap and enjoy the multiplayer content as it was designed to be played. Some Kins will run the old instances as a favor to their lower level members, but you still won't be able to get the sense of what the original content was like, because the spread in levels of the players will be far greater than the content was designed for.

i would say in total 2 Million lotro players

i cant speak for other servers but there are a few at Landroval
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK - Quad Core i5 3470 3.20GHz - 8Gb RAM - GTX 660 Ti 2GB (SLI) - Windows 10 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Nothien View Post
    hey there, im playing lotro with a friend of mine and we are wondering all the time why we cant find other players (more than 5 or sth.)???

i really like this game but we cant get a group together for everything....?!?

is there a list of active players on a server or something??
    Hi. What server are you on? What times of day are you playing?

Sometimes it is hard to find groups at lower levels because people are just "passing through" on their way up the levels. However, it may also be that your server is a lower population to begin with, or even one that usually plays at a different time. I don't recall specifically, but one server has been the unofficial Oceanic server- people from Australia and around the pacific tend to play on that one.

Let us know some more information, like your server, level and region you're in and maybe we can be more helpful.
    Officer in Windfola's House of Blackrock: a great, casual kin of people who play a lot. [url]http://hobonline.org[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by MithrielWielder View Post

There are lots and lots of people playing LOTRO . . . but you are not one of them. You are playing a different game that is called Angmar. There are four different lotro games: Angmar, Moria/Mirkwood, Isengard, and Rohan. The original game, Angmar, is the one you are in. They developed a new game called Moria, and, essentially, they involuntarily migrated all the players out of Angmar and into Moria, leaving Angmar as a depopulated shell. The solo parts of Angmar still work as intended, and can be quite enjoyable, but the group parts of the Angmar game will never again work as designed, because they were designed to be played by six players of almost exactly the same level, and its a near impossibility to achieve that now that the Angmar game has been depopulated. They then repeated that pattern two more times with two new games called Isengard (which depopulated Moria/Mirkwood) and Rohan (which depopulated Isengard). Although Turbine still refers to all four games collectively as LOTRO, its really only the current game, Rohan, in which the multiplayer content is playable as it was originally designed.
    I wouldn't describe that as oversimplified, but as confusing.

Basically, LotRO has had 4 major expansions, with a fifth due later this year. With each expansion the level cap has risen, and most players are likely to be at or close to the level cap. As a consequence, they are not to be found in the lower level areas.

I have 9 characters, 5 at the level cap, 2 at level 75, and 2 at a low level. The last 2 are little played at the moment.
    TANSTAAFL

I think the server/timezone you play on has an impact as well. I used to play on Landroval which is as far as I know a highly populated server but I couldn't find a lot of people for my playtimes because I live in Europe and Landy's majority of players come from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by GozmitJosh View Post
    i would say in total 2 Million lotro players
    This is off by close to a factor of 10. There are several methods used to estimate this, but the simplest is this: a Turbine developer once commented that a "full" server had 10,000 or more active players. "Or more" might mean 15,000, but there's no way it's going to mean "80,000". The theoretical upper limit would be 30,000 (because the most concurrent logins they can handle is 3000, and no more than 10-15% of active players are on during peak hours for a mature game).

There are 28 total servers. 10,000 * 28 = 280,000. 15,000 * 28 = 420,000.

Most of LOTRO's servers are nowhere near "full", and I think 150K active players is probably closer to reality than 280K. It's much closer to reality than 2 million.

In any case, numbers are definitely down in the past year. I can do a /who count in the evening and get maybe 500, where it used to be more like 900. I realize that doesn't include people who are Anonymous, but it seems unlikely that mass percentages of players would have decided to go Anon in the past few years. Those numbers will of course go up when the new expansion arrives, and might even get close to 900 again. But if it's like past cycles, most of that excess will bleed off over the next few months. That's just the way most MMOs go after they've been around for awhile.

Khafar

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNARA View Post
    That's characters, not accounts. There's also no way to ensure those characters (and the accounts they belong to) are active any longer.

Khafar

I personally have a lot of alts, none of which are close to level cap, but I do acknowledge that most of the game population seems to be playing the higher content stuff. I run the game as a solo player, usually, or with my roommate, even taking on 6 man instances as a duo in some areas.

But there are other people who have more than one toon like me; its just that once you get familiar with the game mechanics, it becomes much easier to blast your way through the content; you "smelled the roses", so to speak, the first time through, and now you are focusing on certain goals for the next one.

It's worse on some servers than others, though. The more populated servers like Brandywine--and perhaps Dwarrowdelf--will be more likely to have a richer diversity on them. Of course, there is a trade off--the more populated the server, the more people you are competing with for resources.........

It definitely depends on which server you are playing and what times of the day you are playing. I'd suggest trying glff (if you are like me until recently and had no clue what glff was ) the wiki gives a great explanation on channels and how to join the player ones. The developers have eased up a lot on the difficulty of the lower levels--trust me, it used to be WAY harder than it is now to get to level 20 without dying!--so you can really rank up fast to get to the areas where everyone is at, if its the group content you are aiming for. Also, search out some of the larger kins; unless they are a strictly raiding kin and vet all members, most kins will accept lower ranked players and are willing to give them a hand in lower level instances--and some may even have a lower level alt they'd be willing to bring along if you'd rather have the group members more balanced.

If that still doesn't work, I'd say start looking at other servers and see if there is a population on one of them that is closer in tune with your demographics.