We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Refreshing the warden Guide Part 2. Virtues.

Hey guys. In my effort the revamp the Warden Guide i'd like to ask you all what your favorite virtues are, and if you care enough, a brief description of them and what "deeds" to do to get them and such. Everyone who helps will be cited accordingly and be given exceptional quality cookys. No ferrets though, those will come later.

still working on leveling them myself but I am using zeal(morale), valour(morale), discipline(resist,phys mit,might), charity(resist,phys mit), innocence(resist, phys mit). Mostly I want to build resistance,morale, and anything else like a bit of phys mit that I can use to round out my warden. I also have leveled compassion and fidelity in case I want to switch to dps and need the extra mits.
    Welleg - brandywine, Kelleg/Gelleg - Landroval
    WARNING: leveling a warden may cause you to neglect your other characters.

My favorite virtue for my warden is Idealism(will, fate and resistance rating). How you get it, is you quest in the Lonelands, Trollshaws, angmar and central halls (Moria).
    Last edited by whatevar; Jan 17 2013 at 05:06 PM.

The main purpose of virtues is to compensate for the weak spots in your current gear. As such my virtues are somewhat volatile and change with each new jewellery improvement.

In general, the first priority as a tank is to (near-)cap tactical and physical mitigation.
    Freshly reaching lvl 85, I prefered to slot mitigation-heavy virtues like Innocence, Tolerance and Compassion.
    With better gear at my disposal, my priorities shifted away from mitigation-virtues towards resistance, vitality and plain morale virtues. Especially resistance is hard to come by with means other than virtues (1 vit = 2 res, some outdated pocket item/ring,...).

My current virtues setup looks like this:

Honour - 2760 resistance, 389 tactical mitigation, 12 vitality
    Charity - 2760 resistance, 518 physical mitigation, 315 non-combat power regen
    Loyalty - 48 vitality, 95 max power, 240 armour
    Fidelity - 648 tactical mitigation, 24 vitality, 48 max power
    Zeal - 440 morale, 518 physical mitigation, 240 armour
    Last edited by Pabo; Jan 17 2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: format issues
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2621a0000000f0d52/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Right now my warden is using these:

Tolerance - Which can be increased by doing these deeds;

Fidelity - Which can be increased by doing these deeds;

Innocence - Which can be increased by doing these deeds;

Zeal - Which can be increased by doing these deeds;

Honour - Which can be increased by doing these deeds.
    Last edited by Rashy; Jan 17 2013 at 09:02 PM.
    Captains are clearly made of sunshine and rainbows. I thought that much was obvious. - RockX

Essie - Tr.

Thank you all! Special thanks to PABO and Rashy for explaining deeds and/or important details about virtues. All will be considered! Keep em coming

Honour - 2760 resistance, 389 tactical mitigation, 12 vitality
    Charity - 2760 resistance, 518 physical mitigation, 315 non-combat power regen

After i change to Honour and Charity my warden got much better. I can resist to stuns, roots much better now.
    Was a pain doing dannenglor and get stunned all the time from bats.

To the other ones you must consider something, if your gear gave to u a cap from tat and phy mitigation, use what give to you morale or might (increased parry and block).
    We know wardens as medium armour have a cap from 50% mitigations.
    If you already have somethins like 48,5% you can use scrolls and get 50% and dont need to spend virtues on this.
    But if you have low mitigations, you should use virtues with +armour values, vitality and mitigations.
    "Do or Do Not, There is No Try."
    Yoda.

Resistance - Solo(High), 3Man(Medium), 6Man(Medium), Raid(Low)
    Great for soloing, makes things a lot easier to manage, but in raids you become immune to most of these things anyway.

Might - Solo(High), 3Man(High), 6Man(High), Raid(High)
    This is Block, Parry, Damage and Healing. Yes it buffs your Tactical Mastery.

Vitality - Solo(Medium), 3Man(Medium), 6Man(High), Raid(High)
    This is your HP pool, make sure health is at the right amount for the encounter always, I never needed more than 20k for a 3man.

Morale - Medium for all
    As above

ICPR - Low for tanking, Medium for DPS
    If you run out of power your rotation and setup are wrong and you always have DBtD which is nice damage anyway.

Mitigations - At cap this is low priority, scrolls are easier to acheive, way above caps with scrolls and buffs
    Everything else - Pretty pointless

I used to change my priorities more depending on the scenario, but I have settled down with my requirements.

still working on leveling them myself but I am using zeal(morale), valour(morale), discipline(resist,phys mit,might), charity(resist,phys mit), innocence(resist, phys mit). Mostly I want to build resistance,morale, and anything else like a bit of phys mit that I can use to round out my warden. I also have leveled compassion and fidelity in case I want to switch to dps and need the extra mits.
    I agree with you in terms of ZEAL and VALOUR for an increase of the morale pool.

I also like to have TOLERANCE (tactical mit. and agility) and HONOUR (resistance, tactical mit.) to get better tactical mitigations + a little extra agility.
    I know: Some might say you don't need them, scrolls are going to take you to the cap but I don't like to trust on buffs.
    But you could switch virtues in case you really don't need the mitigations(Raids in most cases).

INNOCENCE is something I'd not use anymore, the physical mit. cap is the easiest.

For the last slot I'd take something like CHARITY (like he did) to increase resistance further. (together with HONOUR)

In general, the first priority as a tank is to (near-)cap tactical and physical mitigation.
    Freshly reaching lvl 85, I prefered to slot mitigation-heavy virtues like Innocence, Tolerance and Compassion.
    With better gear at my disposal, my priorities shifted away from mitigation-virtues towards resistance, vitality and plain morale virtues. Especially resistance is hard to come by with means other than virtues (1 vit = 2 res, some outdated pocket item/ring,...).
    totally true

My favorite virtue for my warden is Idealism(will, fate and resistance rating). How you get it, is you quest in the Lonelands, Trollshaws, angmar and central halls (Moria).
    I hope you were joking @ whatevar
    -----------------------------------------
    Conclusion: What I think is important about virtues is the fact that you shouldn't set on plain attributes like might, vitality and others, you rather go for the things they include.

Now if that was confusing or not understandable:
    Vitality does include morale, but the virtues with morale(zeal, valour) are 10 ten times better because the amount of morale you get is just so much higher and your mitigations are capped anyways. Some people still got loyalty for example, this is a waste in my opinion.
    The same thing applies to mitigations and others.
    Last edited by Faenyl; Jan 20 2013 at 03:23 AM.
    [b][color=orange]Nuviell - MINI 85[/color][/b] //momentan in Rift unterwegs, Shard: Brutmutter
    [b][color=orange]Faenyl - LM 85 || Cay - WRD 85 || Laori - RKP 85 || Soyra - Burg 75[/color][/b]

Much ground has been covered on why they use their virtues, so I will try to be brief.

As a tank, I am focusing on:
    1. Innocence: For the Resistance/mitigations
    2. Charity: For high resistance/mitigation
    3. Zeal: For moral, mostly
    4. Compassion: more mitigation/resistance with power regen
    5. Loyalty: high vitality, mostly
    There could be better virtues to use, but it serves me very well based on the fact I have been (for the most) a useful tank.

In terms of where to get these virtues, consult these two wiki pages, and all your questions will be answered:
    1. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Virtue_Deeds
    2. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Deeds
    Help me build my LOTRO Performance Reference Guide!
    Link for Mac users

In my opinion, virtues need to be used for Resistance and a bit of morale. Resistance because its very hard to get: its not on most jewellery/armour. Therefore best choices would be (imo):
    - Zeal: Very good Morale and Resistance
    - Innocence: Very nice Resistance and mits
    - Charity: Guess...
    - Honour: Tact mit + resistance + vit
    - Discipline: resistance + might
    For PvP, a bit more tact mit focused because I want to cap it when solo:
    - Fidelity: tact mit + fair bit of vit
    Swap it with Charity.
    - Compassion: Tact mit + phys mit
    Swap it for Discipline or Innocence
    Last edited by Giliodor; Jan 19 2013 at 03:41 PM.
    Feailuve - Aeviternus - Vesanus
    Brandywine

The important thing about life is the struggle, not the triumph... Said no winner ever.

I use a different appoach..

I started on my virtues like most of you did, getting mitigations-resistance-morale. (in that order)
    Now that I've reached max level I changed my virtues and here's why;

Mitigations. U'll need about 14.500 of both and u'll cap both (at 50% or 15.900) with scrolls/cappy buffs.
    With the Hythbold armor and some jewels I did not need any mitigations anymore to cap the stats. So any point in mits is useless and can be used for other stuff.

Resistance. I can't be bothered. U can pick like 3-4 virtues to go from like 16% to 22% resistance. I'm not sure about the numbers on this one but I'm looking at it like this. When i'm tanking a group of mobs I'll get my wound/disease/poison/fear no matter what. A couple of procentage in resistance would not make this huge differance here but It would cost many virtue spots.

So, Mitigations and Resistance are no longer of great importance to me. I decided to actually go and increasy my base-stats that is why I use the following virtues;

Loyalty (+48 vitality)
    Discipline (+48 might)
    Determination (+48 agility)
    Valour (morale and might)
    Empathy (armourvalue)

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Loyalty (+48 vitality)
    Discipline (+48 might)
    Determination (+48 agility)
    Valour (morale and might)
    Empathy (armourvalue)
    Sorry to say but Determination and Empathy are just trash. The agility from Determination wont make more than a 0,1% difference to Parry & Evade. I would always prefer resistance. Since it truly makes a difference.
    Brandywine

The important thing about life is the struggle, not the triumph... Said no winner ever.

Does resistance really make any difference in end-game content?
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rNA52C7.jpg[/IMG]

Waaha R10 Reaver, Tardleader R9 War-Leader, Wargtard R7 Warg
    Fellagund R5 Warden, Eldelcar R4 Lore-Master, Cadwolf R3 Captain, Eldelband R2 Minstrel

It makes all the difference. Traits can make you have 30% instead of 18%, big difference.
    Brandywine

I use:
    Confidence
    Charity
    Discipline
    Honour
    Patience

Mainly for the increased Resistance rating as maxing mitigations is fairly easy on a warden with gear alone.
    I neglected the morale/vitality ones because as a warden I prefer to block/parry/evade hits rather then actually tank them and lets face it with our lower mitigations an extra 400 morale means very little when you get to raids or anything that hits hard in general.

Hope this helps!

And what about solo virtues?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000006cc2c/signature.png]Brabro[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by rutschadam View Post
    And what about solo virtues?
    Base your virtues on maxing Common mitigation:

Innocence;

Zeal;

Compassion;

Discipline;

Charity.

Just remember that common mits are easily capped because of the Might/Vit/Armour values on our end-game gear.
    Last edited by Rashy; Jan 22 2013 at 04:31 PM.
    Captains are clearly made of sunshine and rainbows. I thought that much was obvious. - RockX

Essie - Tr.

Only two things are important to me in regards to what virtues offer. That's morale, and mitigation.
    As it stands for me right now, my physical mitigation totally unbuffed is at 49.3%.
    And my tactical mitigation totally unbuffed is at 44.7%.

Because of that, I don't slot too many virtues related to mitigations anymore. I figure the food/scrolls/hope token I use before pulls in instances will bring me up to the Mitigation Cap.

So, moving on. I currently use::
    Fidelity - 600ish Tactical Mit, 20+ vitality, +50ish power.
    Loyalty - 48 vitality, +98 power, +240 armor value.
    Valour - 400+ morale, 600ish NCMR, 12+ might
    Zeal - 400+ morale, 500ish Phisical Mit, +240 armor value.
    Honour - 2700+ Resistance, 380+ Tactical Mit, 12 vitality.

I'm actually not too settled on Honour. I tend to change that one up with Justice as I never found Resistance to be too useful.
    I always get hit by the status effects, and if it's something bad, there are potions to cure it simply enough.

I can see where some people might aim for virtues that help with Power more. But honestly, since you can use your power-restore Gambit (Dark before Dawn) anytime now, I have neeever had power issues while tanking. In fact it's often one of the only things I have left to fill my time once i've got myself buffed and all threat secured. Heh, keeps me from just sitting there twiddling my thumbs.

So, I guess i'm saying I don't try to rely on block/parry/evade too much with this build. Just like with Resistance, I don't trust it to work effectively enough to matter. It's too much of a risk to me that if something -does- manage to get through your block/parry/evade, and lands a big hit on you, you won't be able to recover or heal through it if your morale is too low.
    My block is - 18.7%.
    Parry is - 11.3%
    And evade is - 7.6%.
    Not very high, I know. All unbuffed, of course. Those percentages go up once I get myself buffed pre-combat and in-combat with gambits.
    My morale is about 19.200+, and my power is 2,300+. (more than enough power for me, neeever need to use a pot)

As for what deeds I do. Well, I like doing ones I can do in an instance. like the last one I did, Honor. I did the first part of Urugarth with the trolls over and over again. It's an angmar instance, capped at level 50, 6-man instance. I just ran through and grabbed attention from every single troll (about 30 clustered together) then lifetapped them to death in about 5 minutes. Just make sure not to kill the boss there so you don't get some kind of lock where they won't respawn if you re-set the instance. I also like doing the same with other angmar and moria instances. It's nice because the mobs are capped at a low level, yet still aggro onto you automatically and are generally nicely packed together in high numbers.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000046ddaa/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Rashy View Post
    Base your virtues on maxing Common mitigation:

Innocence;

Zeal;

Compassion;

Discipline;

Charity.

Just remember that common mits are easily capped because of the Might/Vit/Armour values on our end-game gear.
    thank you very much
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b22500000006cc2c/signature.png]Brabro[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Giliodor View Post
    Sorry to say but Determination and Empathy are just trash. The agility from Determination wont make more than a 0,1% difference to Parry & Evade. I would always prefer resistance. Since it truly makes a difference.
    I just don't feel that excited about resistance. Why would u say Empathy is trash? I could not find any good article what it actually does but more is better right? This armourvalue Empaty gives adds like 10% of your total armour.

I just don't feel that excited about resistance. Why would u say Empathy is trash? I could not find any good article what it actually does but more is better right? This armourvalue Empaty gives adds like 10% of your total armour.
    Empathy is trash because:
    - It provides armour value, which is only good for mitigations. With any decent build you will cap both your tactical and your common mitigation.
    - It provides fate (iirc), which is not needed for tanking. It gives in combat power regen, which is not needed, power will never drop so much that you'll get trouble with it. Furthermore it gives crit, not needed with tanking.
    - It gives Power, which is also not needed, reason is stated above ^
    Brandywine

I almost have my Warden to 85 and am getting ready to grind virtues, I am guessing that the U10 change to agility will change some of the preferred virtues. What will most likely be the best ones to have after U10 for tanking?
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000007514f/01007/signature.png]Xalt[/charsig]
    Warband R7 Reaver - Xurgash R6 Stalker
    Xaris Kai Aletheia ~ Silverlode[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Xecutor View Post
    I almost have my Warden to 85 and am getting ready to grind virtues, I am guessing that the U10 change to agility will change some of the preferred virtues. What will most likely be the best ones to have after U10 for tanking?
    The same unless you're a DPS tank.
    Brandywine

Up with this! I recently returned to LOTRO after a large hiatus (due to job mostly) and I'm still interested in building an appropiate guide.
    More opinions are well received!!

So far i'd like to make special mention on - Zeal for its Morale and Resistance and Innocence for its good Resistance and mits. Echoing some opinions in this thread, resistance is the least common stat we can find in our gear so it's a good idea to harness a fair bit of resistance, considering we should be very near cap on tanking gear regarding physical and tactical mitigation, and the rest can be easily patched through with food and scrolls and cappies.

THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE ON HELM'S DEEP THOUGH!

Onwards with this thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast