We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Old Website vs New Website

Why o why did you all change it like this? It's awful! Absolutely awful. It looks like a little 3 year old filled his diaper with code and flung it at the nearest computer. The old system was so much better. I can't even get information on how many characters there are in my kinship. I have to sit there and manually count based on what is available to me. When I need to access my armory without going ingame, I can't any more. This is just awful dribble.

Even the new lottery system SUCKS! There is no information on what you are awarding us with should we magically win the lottery.

I'm sorry if this is cruel or mean or too honest, but this new site is blech. Throw it away, pull an old backup out of your closet and restore the old system.

The new lottery does show what you could win; both before and after you enter. The old lottery only showed what you could win before you entered. Afterward you had no clue unless you wrote it down or took a screenshot. The new lottery page is much better. As for the forum, that's just a matter of taste. I don't like the look as well, but I don't mind it so horribly either.

Quote Originally Posted by the_antisocial_hermit View Post
    ...As for the forum, that's just a matter of taste. I don't like the look as well, but I don't mind it so horribly either.
    Wether you like it better is a matter of personal taste, but objectively, the old site had a lot more individuality/character. This is a generic, belch-on-black coloured games site.

I do think however that the now-missing community site functions would work a lot better in the actual game environment. Character pages, Lorbook, Kinship info, some lorebook elements... would actually make more sense to have this stuff in the game instead of here.

Since this would however require a lot of attention to new interfaces and quality-of-life enhancements... I wont hold my breath.

For addressing the poor default look, refer to the forum customization thread.

HTH,
    SNy

This forum is fast and secure, which puts it heads and shoulders over the old one. The other features were removed because A) they added a lot of loading to the character databases and generated lots of complaints (old character data, slow forums, etc), and B) not enough people were using them to justify maintaining and developing them. I speculated B) to be the case in another thread, and Sapience confirmed it.

All I really want from the new forums is for them to stop logging people out for inactivity. It's obnoxious.

Khafar

The new site is beautiful, well structured and fast - well done!

I'd really like to have a "stay logged in" option - seems like I have to relog in every time I sit back down to the computer.

The only other thing I'd really like back is PVMP daily leaderboard stats - this was working beautifully and for the hardcore PVP player was something checked on a daily basis.

Overall I'd give you an A for the changes, go for an A+

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine88001 View Post
    It's awful! Absolutely awful. It looks like a little 3 year old filled his diaper with code and flung it at the nearest computer.

I think you are confusing the new forums with your post.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine88001 View Post
    Why o why did you all change it like this? It's awful! Absolutely awful. It looks like a little 3 year old filled his diaper with code and flung it at the nearest computer. The old system was so much better.
    Couldn't have said it better myself...

Never have been a big poster, since closed beta back in 07. But I have to say, this forums looks amature, at best. Every bit of functionality, minus posting on the forums is gone. It looks horrid. Nice job Turbine, you've managed to take what little there was, and make it less.../golfclap. Also sick of hearing, "I fought for what I could...."... Um... please... /eyeroll...
    [I]It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and prove it. [/I]~A. Lincoln

[I]Faran onweg, lorg ferymond[/I]. ~Beno

Quote Originally Posted by Khafar View Post
    All I really want from the new forums is for them to stop logging people out for inactivity. It's obnoxious.
    Could not agree more. That is, bar none, the most annoying thing a web site can do. If I am at home on my PC, if someone is accessing my computer without permission I have bigger issues to worry about. Stop logging us out. Seriously. I know this is something Sapience wants to etch in stone, but this is one thing he is 100% wrong on. Listen to what your customers are telling you, because we are RIGHT. Nobody asked for this auto-log off garbage. It hurts the community infinitely more than it helps (because it doesn't help at all.)

Quote Originally Posted by the_antisocial_hermit View Post
    The new lottery does show what you could win; both before and after you enter. The old lottery only showed what you could win before you entered. Afterward you had no clue unless you wrote it down or took a screenshot. The new lottery page is much better. As for the forum, that's just a matter of taste. I don't like the look as well, but I don't mind it so horribly either.
    In response to this post specifically, Yes. However, you didn't really "have" to remember each lottery, simply because the majority of their creative lotteries contained pointless items, and the lotteries divided by levels always contained pretty much the same items, just different tiers.

As for the forums themselves, I agree that they are more stable and faster. But what point is there in that if you can't do much of anything?.
    They practically washed half of the old features down the drain. No longer do these forums contain any trace of "character". It's just a dull design with scattered features.

I'm not saying the other forums were better, but rather these new forums improve in the old issues, but in the process, they created new issues. All they did was swap out the problems with other problems to cover it up, and paint it over a dull forum design. That's one of the main reasons I see of why people are blinded in thinking these new forums are "new, outstanding, issue-free". They really aren't. The game dropped in quality itself, but the forum update was yet another pathetic excuse for "improving" the game.
    Last edited by Killerunicorn5; Aug 11 2013 at 01:04 PM.