We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Forum account being changed randomly

Instead of being logged out while posting, now I've found a few times that my account name has changed while posting. Ie, I have two accounts, and when I log in it _always_ picks the alternate F2P account since it is alphabetically first. So I manually "Select display name" to the correct account. But very often I find that I'm back at the other incorrect forum name again, usually when I switch to the next page of a forum. I have even had it change during a posting; I click on preview or submit and it gives me an error, and when I look it thinks I'm now on a different account!

So far I have accidentally posted in the wrong account 3 times, and this is troubling because doing so is against the rules!

Anyone know a workaround for this? I have already selected the "default" account name under My Account but it doesn't do any good. If not, I'd suggest this as a bug with new Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    Instead of being logged out while posting, now I've found a few times that my account name has changed while posting. Ie, I have two accounts, and when I log in it _always_ picks the alternate F2P account since it is alphabetically first. So I manually "Select display name" to the correct account. But very often I find that I'm back at the other incorrect forum name again, usually when I switch to the next page of a forum. I have even had it change during a posting; I click on preview or submit and it gives me an error, and when I look it thinks I'm now on a different account!

So far I have accidentally posted in the wrong account 3 times, and this is troubling because doing so is against the rules!

Anyone know a workaround for this? I have already selected the "default" account name under My Account but it doesn't do any good. If not, I'd suggest this as a bug with new Forums.
    Came here to write this same post. I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Have not figured out a way around this either.

(+ personal rep for getting here first and typing this in so I don't have to )
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Did you by any chance just check for lotteries on the other forum name and not change it back? Also make sure that you aren't inadvertently blocking some cookies that the forum uses. Those are the only things I can think of offhand that would be on your end to cause this. Otherwise, yeah, sounds like a bug on the forum side.

One other thing, which may or may not have anything to do with this. How are you accessing the forum when this happens? Desktop/laptop, mobile device, pad? Do you access the forums from more than one device? Also what browser (version) are you using? Just thinking it may be specific to a device/browser, and looking for a way to help narrow it down.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

It should be allowing cookies. I use laptop at work and computer at home, but I'm not interleaving their usage. Cookies set to expire when I close firefox. I did have an exception for *.turbine.com so just now I added *.lotro.com also. But this problem occured within the same session. I only check forums on main account name. The problem occured when I was doing nothing at all with lotro or forums except for reading and posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Came here to write this same post. I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Have not figured out a way around this either.

(+ personal rep for getting here first and typing this in so I don't have to )
    Just started a thread on this cause i missed yours. Me too. Not cookies. Not accidental reset- it just changes name mid read/post.

Quote Originally Posted by yvandriel View Post
    Just started a thread on this cause i missed yours. Me too. Not cookies. Not accidental reset- it just changes name mid read/post.
    See my reply in yvandriel's topic.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

No longer seems to be happening. I had tried setting "default" account under account management a few times but it hadn't been working (log out and back in and no change). But then it worked and now it seems to always log me into the correct account.

Edit: spoke too soon. Logging me into the wrong account again.
    Last edited by Lohi; Aug 20 2013 at 11:37 PM.