We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The sad fact: The slow death of Lotro?

Hey!
    I have had a break from Lotro for a couple of months. No that I'm back again I have been paying attention to scarily low population of players. I'm playing on the small NA server so I don't know if other serves have the same problem... It seems that the whole server has basically been deserted. Do u think that Lotro could still have some years to live? It would be sooo great if some other company bought Lotro from Turbine and made some updates. Nah, I don't know if that would help... Anyway, do u guys think Lotro has any chance to keep going? I have had so many great experiences from Lotro, I have played quite a lot other MMOs but I think Lotro is somehow special cause I keep returning here. That's why seeing my server almost dead makes me sad...
    Last edited by dinky_penguin; Oct 27 2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Dear fella girls:

If a guy wants you to learn how to play a game...
    It means you are the most important person in his life and he also needs a healer! :D

I really hope they don't shut down. Ask your friends and family to play. Save the game.

Explain what you mean by saying "low Population". How many players were in the your (I think it called GLFF in english) serverwide Chatchannel? Where were you looking for people? Bree, Galtrev?

what you said about the server does not reproduce thier surprising performance at the bounty thingy.....almost desserted made such big jump in numbers?? well maybe is just more quiet than you were used to, or ppl were busy gridding fest
    Ascension-Arkenstone :
    Third Marshal Finarfintook Minstrel
    Fire Rk Finarjul r10 & Finwetook r7 burg
    Creeps: Finsnightmare r8 defiler/ Finscreep r5 rvr

Quote Originally Posted by Hordvin View Post
    Explain what you mean by saying "low Population". How many players were in the your (I think it called GLFF in english) serverwide Chatchannel? Where were you looking for people? Bree, Galtrev?
    It doesn't matter how many are in glff because you cannot go by that. You want a better number for population, do a whois search in the social panel during prime time.
    It's not Teal... it's [SIZE=3][COLOR=#00ffff][B]CYAN[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]!

I play on Landroval and I have been seeing a lot more people lately during the times I get to play. I don't think LOTRO is dead or dying. I think that it just ebbs and flows. You took a break and probably so did a lot of others as well. Just stay and play and invite all those you know to play the game with you.

According to one poster that I am not allowed to name, LOTRO has been dying since 2008.

Seriously though, I've seen this in every MMO forum I have ever been in.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Eartholloth View Post
    It doesn't matter how many are in glff because you cannot go by that. You want a better number for population, do a whois search in the social panel during prime time.
    Yes, but it might point in a certain direction. On "my" server we have about 450 Players in the global channel on prime Time - I would consider that to be "healthy" number.
    Of course You are right, but I wanted to ask who the OP considered the server to be low populated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    According to one poster that I am not allowed to name, LOTRO has been dying since 2008.

True, Nymphonic, people do say that stuff in every game. Nonetheless, only someone that is willfully blind would maintain that there isn't a noticeably smaller population at this point, nor fail to acknowledge the vast plethora of reasons why so many people are so unsatisfied with the way things have been going around here. And out of the 4 years I've been here, I've never seen the forum community or in-game community so vociferously demoralized- Here, or in any other MMO I've played. Numbers are down, and significantly so.

The sea is calling us home...

Fact?

Hmmmm....
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post

Well, technically it is dying since it´s release :-)

My prediction is, that it will end in 2014. Not because its bad, but games change and the players too. It´s very old school an there will be the point where it will be totally outdated on graphics and ingame technics. Impossible so simply revamp. The next threat to Lotro will be ESO. Many players on my server are waiting for it, hoping to be the next MMO killer game. And I Think that it might have an influence, more than SWTOR or Neverwinter had.

Activity on Landroval seems about the same as ever--events like festivals are *very* crowded, and there is a decent amount of activity in the hub towns. And we're considered a medium-population server these days apparently, compared to some others. I don't know Firefoot at all, but things like your level and the hours that you play usually affect the number of people around you. Are you at endgame or in a low or mid-level area? Have you checked out the recent events during prime time (like the Farmers Faire or today's event for Bilbo's birthday in Hobbiton)? Are you playing during typical peak hours on your server?

We're currently in a lull before a major expansion. A lot of players have finished what there is to do at endgame, and are doing other things until HD comes out in November. So I wouldn't worry too much. If your server doesn't have enough people for you to enjoy the way you play at the time that you play, try another one (I know transfers are still ridiculously expensive, but leveling is fast now, so maybe consider re-rolling?). Ask around on the server forums to find something that fits your hours and your style.

Good luck!

My prediction is, that it will end in 2014. Not because its bad, but games change and the players too. It´s very old school an there will be the point where it will be totally outdated on graphics and ingame technics. Impossible so simply revamp. The next threat to Lotro will be ESO. Many players on my server are waiting for it, hoping to be the next MMO killer game. And I Think that it might have an influence, more than SWTOR or Neverwinter had.
    My prediction is in 2015 someone else will predict it will end in 2016.
    Landroval Server

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    True, Nymphonic, people do say that stuff in every game. Nonetheless, only someone that is willfully blind would maintain that there isn't a noticeably smaller population at this point, nor fail to acknowledge the vast plethora of reasons why so many people are so unsatisfied with the way things have been going around here. And out of the 4 years I've been here, I've never seen the forum community or in-game community so vociferously demoralized- Here, or in any other MMO I've played. Numbers are down, and significantly so.
    You are right, I am getting the demoralized tone from my server too. The question is: how many active players are out there? Of course we will never get any numbers. I try to see something out of the Bounders Bounties efforts. But it is still hard to tell.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Oh look, it's this sort of thread again.

I've not see much difference in Gladden since I started playing. About the same amount of activity in regional in the hub areas. I do wish that people who made these sort of threads would back up there claims of extremely low population with some numbers (preferably non-glff as that's not accurate)
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhuvor View Post
    My prediction is in 2015 someone else will predict it will end in 2016.
    I would have no problem with that :-)

But I still think, that until then there will be other new games with complete new technical basics. And You have to take the end of the Hobbit Movies into your consideration. The whole Lord Of the Rings theme will not be present to the public then.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    I would have no problem with that :-)

But I still think, that until then there will be other new games with complete new technical basics. And You have to take the end of the Hobbit Movies into your consideration. The whole Lord Of the Rings theme will not be present to the public then.
    I find it unlikely and hard to believe that many people who play LotRO are here solely because of the rubbish Peter Jackson has made.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

The only game that was going to come anywhere near to being the proverbial "WoW Killer" was SWTOR. It was BioWare- one of the two reigning kings of the SP RPG market- making their big move into the MMO market with what is arguably the biggest IP possible. It was legitimately considered a perfect storm as not just a gamer story but a business one too...And it fell flat.

The MMO market is a bubble just like housing and tech were. The market is colossally over-crowded without nearly enough players to go around. If anything, ESO might be the point at which the bubble bursts.

The sea is calling us home...

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    Oh look, it's this sort of thread again.

I've not see much difference in Gladden since I started playing. About the same amount of activity in regional in the hub areas. I do wish that people who made these sort of threads would back up there claims of extremely low population with some numbers (preferably non-glff as that's not accurate)
    To be fair, I used to play on a smaller-population server, and there were definitely cycles of activity. A month or two before any major release, certain areas at certain times would feel like ghost-towns. That doesn't at all mean that overall population is 'dying' or anything like that, but to someone who has been away a while and comes back at the wrong time, it can feel that way, especially if one gets behind in the movements of the bulk of the players (e.g. if you're still in Rohan when most folks are in Wildermore). And the uncertainty before a major expansion, especially one like this where they are planning significant changes, does make people worry, so you see an increase in negative chatter. It's a matter of perception, and everyone will perceive differently based on their individual circumstances and experiences.

I'm on Imladris. And I see people around, even in Estildin (but in the crafting house). I also see people in Bree. Mainly in the AH, crafting hall, or hanging out by the West and South gates. Certain times of the day have less players online than others.

I'm on Firefoot too, and was quite surprised to see how quickly we reached the Bounder's Bounty goal; we're the 12th server to finish out of 29 total, despite having been stuck in second-to-last place initially. So there's still life on this planet--er, server.

Quote Originally Posted by Whart View Post
    We're currently in a lull before a major expansion. A lot of players have finished what there is to do at endgame, and are doing other things until HD comes out in November. So I wouldn't worry too much.
    This! It reminds me of the marginal benefit concept in economics - the first burger you eat is great, the second is good, the 100th burger not so desirable. But the hot dog over there looks yummy.
    Laineth, Lassdhel, Rikkom, Rilem, & alts // Google+
    Scholar Resource Maps for Eriador (https://goo.gl/photos/RavGWt9AYPNb6Wes5), Rhovanion (https://goo.gl/photos/jRuu1TmSoXGCfpTS7), and Gondor (https://goo.gl/photos/UD6JKgJQLcsMLYNHA)
    Many hands make light work; please help update the LOTRO Wiki!
    It takes a tree decades to grow to maturity, minutes to cut it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dordain View Post
    The only game that was going to come anywhere near to being the proverbial "WoW Killer" was SWTOR. It was BioWare- one of the two reigning kings of the SP RPG market- making their big move into the MMO market with what is arguably the biggest IP possible. It was legitimately considered a perfect storm as not just a gamer story but a business one too...And it fell flat.

The MMO market is a bubble just like housing and tech were. The market is colossally over-crowded without nearly enough players to go around. If anything, ESO might be the point at which the bubble bursts.
    You are right. But ESO will definitely draw the attention of many players and LOTRO will suffer from that. That doesn´t mean that it will be a "WOW KilleR" but it might be the LOTRO Killer.
    The market is indeed overcrowded with MMOs since they are "open to everyone" or to take the bad term "open for casual players"

Just did a search on Brandywine in social panel,

1. Among non-anonymous players lvls 1-20:there are 100 live players at 7 PM EDT. (again, non anonymous, so likely higher).

2. Over 100 non-anonymous lvl 85s(only shows max of 100 at once)

3. 75 non-anonymous players lvl 50-60

This is a little before prime-time gaming hours. At least on Brandywine, we have a very healthy population.

Always keep in mind that school has started, we're between expansions, and a festival just ended. So this is a low pop time of year.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Gladden's about the same as normal, as I'm levelling my burglar alt I see people playing at lower levels (no way of telling of alts or new players though), a good number of pre-order cosmetics and mounts around. So it's "dying" eh? Long may it die then.

Quote Originally Posted by Whart View Post
    Are you playing during typical peak hours on your server?
    Exactly, I think the key points in the OP are "Firefoot" and "Location: Finland". Of course the server is empty when the OP plays; the only surprise would be if it were not.

Re: Hordvin's "450 players in global chat" comment - wow. Sometimes I wish I were a European player on an EU server. Not sure even Brandywine can match those numbers; certainly the smaller US servers don't come close. Both of my servers are having a good night if they break 100 in glff (yeah yeah, caveat about glff not necessarily being representative, etc. - it's still the primary/only source of groups if not enough kin are on - and when are enough kin on these days?).

Re: transfer vs. start fresh. Leveling per se very likely is faster now (craft xp, the various xp bonus preorder doodads many people have). But I don't think producing a viable endgame character is much, if any, faster now than it has been. To me at least, the latter process means finishing the quest deeds and exploration deeds in all zones for a baseline in all virtues, then picking off the low-hanging fruit among the slayer deeds to get the virtues you actually use up to 16 or as close to it as practical (I find many of the zeal deeds in particular to be impractically grindy - worms in Forochel, dragonets in Moria, etc.). That takes quite a while. I've seen people zoom to cap very quickly via skirmishes and xp accelerator tomes, yet doing it that way their highest virtue is a 4.

Anyway, that's my reasoning for considering server transfers. Would rather not spend many months next year redoing everything I've already done on my existing characters, just to get an equivalent character on a busier server. Though my current thinking is to hold off until sometime after HD and see which classes (if any) are totally broken by the class revamp, and hopefully the backlog of transfer requests will have abated by then so they can process new requests faster. If anyone would care to comment about whether their server is active at west coast prime time (say 8pm-midnight Pacific), that would be good to know!

For the OP, starting fresh on one of the big EU servers (since there's no way to transfer there from Firefoot anyway) looks like a great idea. Especially if the OP speaks German, if the Bounder token performance accurately represents server activity levels.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast