We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Rank Farming

Rank Farming

I reported two players caught rank farming and they are still playing in the moors. I thought in the past that rank farming was cheating but apparently it's not. I think I will start today because there are many advantages being ranked in the moors. I believe turbine should limit the amount of infamy/renown a player can get in a day, just like comms and create a different system for the rewards that come with rank.

At one point, Turbine had rules against rank-farming and enforced them. Unfortunately, whether it is because of cutbacks, or worries about bottom lines, Turbine no longer enforces any policy against rank-farming, and in many cases now, has actually spoken out in favour of it (or at least against those of us who view it as cheating).

I hate to say I've moved on, as I still intend to come back to LOTRO, but its decisions like this, that have moved me from a hard-core addict in a raiding kin to a 'Oh, new area, might log in to check it out' type player.

I remember grinding rank 7 on my RK during MoM, and my Hunter to rank 6 during SoA, these were accomplishments back then. To see someone freaver farming with 20 F2P accounts is just disgusting to me, seeing people hit R6 in a day of this makes me sick.

This isn't just directed at you, it's directed at all people who make topics like this one...

People say that rank doesn't matter, yet they get so up-tight when someone does it. I sense a flaw of logic in there somewhere... Sure, the person is earning their rank a dishonest way, but why should you care if you claim that rank doesn't mean anything. Rank farmers are off on the map alone not effecting you. Hey, if grinding greenies for hours on end is fun, then hey, more power to them. Honestly though, good heavens it looks boring. Just watching someone do that makes me sleepy.

Sapience said that they're considering making it a rule. I think they're working out a way to find out if someone is rank farming first so that innocent people don't get banned just because another player accuses them of farming and reports them. So you can rest easy at night without rank farming nightmates

Quote Originally Posted by Portales View Post
    I reported two players caught rank farming and they are still playing in the moors. I thought in the past that rank farming was cheating but apparently it's not. I think I will start today because there are many advantages being ranked in the moors. I believe turbine should limit the amount of infamy/renown a player can get in a day, just like comms and create a different system for the rewards that come with rank.
    Cant do anything about the sad leetist players who think its a bad thing, just ignore them and keep having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kril View Post
    At one point, Turbine had rules against rank-farming and enforced them.
    I am sorry to inform you that this is false information... Turbine had never had rules against this... Codemasters did, but they were acting independently...

There have been multiple changes to renown/infamy intake over the years and people being able to get rank 6 in a matter of a day or two is not uncommon even without it...
    "There are things that go bump in the night. We're the ones who bump back." -BPRD

Codemasters reacted to Farming, exploiting and to everything "wrong".

We got many farmers in Evernight. If it was punishable there would be no freeps.
    Heck i even know people who have bought an account for real money, thought its not allowed. Reported them, sended tickets from support site. Guess they are using store so much, that its not worth following own rules.

The original Valdez

I remember grinding rank 7 on my RK during MoM, and my Hunter to rank 6 during SoA, these were accomplishments back then. To see someone freaver farming with 20 F2P accounts is just disgusting to me, seeing people hit R6 in a day of this makes me sick.
    Not really much of an accomplishment. Ranking has been easy since Book 12 (SoA). You could easily get to R6 in one week and R7 in 2 weeks without farming. And RKs after Book 7 (MoM) were god mode. If you made r7 on your RK before Book 7 and without zerging, that might be considered an accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycient View Post
    This isn't just directed at you, it's directed at all people who make topics like this one...

People say that rank doesn't matter, yet they get so up-tight when someone does it. I sense a flaw of logic in there somewhere... Sure, the person is earning their rank a dishonest way, but why should you care if you claim that rank doesn't mean anything. Rank farmers are off on the map alone not effecting you. Hey, if grinding greenies for hours on end is fun, then hey, more power to them. Honestly though, good heavens it looks boring. Just watching someone do that makes me sleepy.

Sapience said that they're considering making it a rule. I think they're working out a way to find out if someone is rank farming first so that innocent people don't get banned just because another player accuses them of farming and reports them. So you can rest easy at night without rank farming nightmates
    To me rank does matter and it does effect me (when i'm on creepside). His rank allows him to be more buffed and allows him to get decent weapons. He posted in OOC his total renown for the day "200,000!" That would take me about 15 days of good raiding to get.

Quote Originally Posted by denpl5 View Post
    Cant do anything about the sad leetist players who think its a bad thing, just ignore them and keep having fun.
    You can't have fun when it was an even fight a week prior and now you can't compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Portales View Post
    I would not expect any action from Turbine this year.

If you think it's an unfair advantage, and want to fight fire with fire, farm away. You won't even get a 'tsk tsk' from Turbine.

If you really think there's something wrong with it, then don't sink to their level and do it because they are.
    Leafblade, Captain
    [IMG]http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/70969104/2532739[/IMG]

At one point, Turbine had rules against rank-farming and enforced them..
    pretty sure thats incorrect
    There may come a time for valor without renown, for those without swords may surely still die upon them.

You are a confirmed rank farmer. Is this why your opinion about the matter is so indifferent, my friend?

Farming is one of several main reasons rank doesn't mean anything. Also, while farmers are off by themselves hurting no one as you say, everyone else has to deal with pop buff that wouldn't be there if there weren't an extra 20+ reavers somewhere else on the map (usually more). And quite frankly, it's laughable that Turbine seems unable to distinguish a farmer from another player. Anyone care to tell me about the time they earned 200k renown/infamy a day without farming?
    "Heroes get remembered but Legends never die."

SnH Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by xmorzan View Post
    everyone else has to deal with pop buff that wouldn't be there if there weren't an extra 20+ reavers somewhere else on the map (usually more).
    Huh?

wordzz

Attended by Coldaen

The whole sentiment of rank not mattering to many people is an over-generalization of more specific concepts, and you're taking that sentiment too literally. What this statement means (and you should be painfully aware of) is that rank has almost no relevance to a player's skill, and can be earned in such disparate means that rank is little indication of what you've actually 'achieved' in pvp. Despite this, rank still has inherent meaning to each player, that meaning just varies from person to person. I am probably the single slowest 'ranker' on E in terms of time spent in the moors, in large part because I have a fairly stringent way I want to play out there, which is less conducive to earning inf/renown than most other people. Despite how relatively slowly I earn rank, I still want to earn new ones and put value achieving them, that value is just lower than the value I put on how I play.

I have no doubt Sapience's statement reflects how the Devs 'feel' about rank farming, but when push comes to shove and they actually look at implementing a 'solution' to rank farming, I'll bet 1000g they will either decide they cannot invest the resources into taking action, or will invest so meagerly in a 'solution' that it does next to nothing to curb rank farming. Or commendations farming, as you like to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttaker View Post
    Huh?
    You don't understand how someone logging 20 freavers who are otherwise not involved in pvp activities but are responsible for the ON buff activating has an impact on the actual PvP going on? Or do you not understand how the ON buff works, and what it does?
    [center][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2wrm5ja_th.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

People say that rank doesn't matter, yet they get so up-tight when someone does it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spelunker View Post
    What this statement means (and you should be painfully aware of) is that rank has almost no relevance to a player's skill, and can be earned in such disparate means that rank is little indication of what you've actually 'achieved' in pvp. Despite this, rank still has inherent meaning to each player, that meaning just varies from person to person.
    I want to doubly emphasize this for obvious reasons, as it is a fairly large investment of time for fairly insignificant increases so far as time/reward systems typically go in RPGs (I'm talking the kind of grind that would put a discount chinese electronic warehouse to shame). It is and always has been cheating and though the company (such a stellar, shining example of give us money and we'll ignore your shadier activities) may turn a blind eye so long as it doesn't adversely affect them, the player base shouldn't. And the fact it doesn't bother you that players are cheating in what should be a competitive atmosphere is pretty indicative, of what exactly I'll just leave the implication.

you've now managed a record score in entirely missing the point for the millionth time, I don`t know what motivates you to post. Honestly.
    There may come a time for valor without renown, for those without swords may surely still die upon them.

I could care less if people farm their rank, they have to sleep with themselves, and additionally, they will run into players like the rest of us who have never farmed AND as a result of that know how to play our classes - oh woe is them on that day.

The bigger issue, as I see it, is that because Warner Bros didn't want to deal with the issue (too many people whining about it) so what do they do? They turn off the one way you can clearly sees who farms, they shut down the leaderboards.

Before you go defending WB for their recent changes, we are talking about an automated system that didn't require even 5 minutes of an employee's time, so cost clearly wasn't the issue, the power to run the server??

I think they are staffed lean and they will do whatever it takes to make a buck and avoid the noise the playerbase makes.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r10 (active) Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Irin19 View Post
    I could care less if people farm their rank, they have to sleep with themselves, and additionally, they will run into players like the rest of us who have never farmed AND as a result of that know how to play our classes - oh woe is them on that day.

The bigger issue, as I see it, is that because Warner Bros didn't want to deal with the issue (too many people whining about it) so what do they do? They turn off the one way you can clearly sees who farms, they shut down the leaderboards.

Before you go defending WB for their recent changes, we are talking about an automated system that didn't require even 5 minutes of an employee's time, so cost clearly wasn't the issue, the power to run the server??

I think they are staffed lean and they will do whatever it takes to make a buck and avoid the noise the playerbase makes.
    If you don't care if people farm rank, why do you care about keeping track of it via leaderboards?
    [center][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2wrm5ja_th.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

If you don't care if people farm rank, why do you care about keeping track of it via leaderboards?
    Excellent question! Most PvP players will tell you they play for the challenge, I like to see how much I "earned", how I compare to other players on my server, which side dominated day to day.
    Irin r8 Hunter // Arngar r8 Burg // Akthuri r15 LM // Vishus r5 Captain // Curad r10 (active) Mini

You don't understand how someone logging 20 freavers who are otherwise not involved in pvp activities but are responsible for the ON buff activating has an impact on the actual PvP going on? Or do you not understand how the ON buff works, and what it does?
    I understand completely how the ON buff works. I'm just not sure how that could possibly be a detriment, especially if you are a Freep.

Attended by Coldaen