We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Nice New *fast* Forums!

Hi,

New forums are great. Nice and fast. However, I thought one of the other major reasons for the revamp was the log off issue if you clicked too many times on the navigation. Now it seems I am logged out every hour or so and every time I open the browser for the first time. I feel confident that there are more modifications to come so I wanted to make sure you heard from another user that this new log off issue is annoying.

I do like the new forums.

Cheers!
    Chris
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=Teal][B][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000020804/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=4][COLOR=Orange][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    It's not an issue, it's intended behavior. The forums does not allow you to save your login information. It will also log you off after 45 minutes of inactivity. These are both by design.

I have a very simple workaround to avoid being logged out: A browser plugin called Auto Refresh Plus installed into my Google Chrome. I have my computers on 24/7 anyway, so whenever I reboot, I start the browser, log in to the forums, open the Dev Tracker pin the tab. Then I simply tell the plugin to refresh that tab every 15 minutes. No logouts, except when I reboot for some reason, or if I lose connectivity to the forums completely for a long period of time.

Whenever I feel like browsing the forums, I open up another tab for that. Automatic refresh of the pinned tab will make sure I won't be logged out for example when typing a longer post or reading an excessively long thread, which could happen without the refreshing...

I'm curious, why is the log-out thing so by design? Every single website I use remembers my login info, that's pretty standard these days. Why design these forums differently? You must have an interesting reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Evo_Chris View Post
    I thought one of the other major reasons for the revamp was the log off issue if you clicked too many times on the navigation.
    That issue does indeed seem to be fixed.

Now it seems I am logged out every hour or so and every time I open the browser for the first time. I feel confident that there are more modifications to come so I wanted to make sure you heard from another user that this new log off issue is annoying.
    As already stated, this is by design.

I could be wrong, but I would wager they require this behavior because our game account is now more seamlessly integrated into the forums. To the point where we can even change our game account password via the forums. Were they not to implement this auto-logout behavior, any person, at any time, could wander up to a computer where you were using these forums, open these forums back up, and gain control of your in-game account. At least with this functionality implemented, that "window of opportunity" for shenanigans is much smaller.

Granted, most people weren't at risk of that type of account hijack. But there would be enough people who are to make this behavior warranted.

--H
    "Ephemeral" does not mean what I think it means.

"security"

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    It's not an issue, it's intended behavior. The forums does not allow you to save your login information. It will also log you off after 45 minutes of inactivity. These are both by design.
    Thanks for the response. Although I disagree with the "design", I am grateful the old forums are gone. Good job!
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=Teal][B][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000020804/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=4][COLOR=Orange][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I am just happy I can log in on this account. I could log in on my free account, but never posted because of the rules against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    I'm willing to put up with this in the name of security. What is annoying the frak out of me is that when I am looking at a forum page like the Dev Tracker, then click Log In, it drops me somewhere totally else. I have to pull up the main Forum list and click Dev Tracker again to get back to where I was when I clicked Log In.

I'm starting to think that there's no bloody purpose to staying logged in until I want to post something. With the system logging me out so quickly, the "you already read this" indicators that you can only see when you're logged in are no good anymore. It's just as easy to try to remember where I left off than to go through all of that every time.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Gwinren View Post
    I'm curious, why is the log-out thing so by design? Every single website I use remembers my login info, that's pretty standard these days. Why design these forums differently? You must have an interesting reason.
    Hurin already touched on most of my thoughts on this but my other guess is cookie vulnerability. Basically anytime your login information is saved it creates a potential source for someone to hack that information from your computer. Since your login invformation is your account information (both username AND password) having that information saved in a hard copy format creates a security vulnerability that it is far better to disable.

Now this doesn't speak to the silliness of having both forum and game account/passwords be the same (though I do understand the reasons to do so administratively) since by itself that opens up a huge security vulnerability.