We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Poll: How many of you would actually 1v1 in a 1v1 arena?

I made a post on the Monster Play forums a while back about Turbine making a 1v1 arena where no infamy/renown came into play, but just for the challenge of it and the fun. How many of you would actually go to the 1v1 arena if it were created? How many of you would not? I'm just curious and wanted a tally. Thank you for your time.
    [url]http://gladdenhistory.wikispaces.com/[/url]

If I were still actually playing, I probably wouldn't. Never been a big fan of Fight Clubs/Circles anyway. My preference by far was always the random encounter. THAT got the adrenaline going better than any pre-fab 1v1ing could IMO

-Pup-
    [FONT=arial black][COLOR=#ff0000]PUPTRIPPZ[/COLOR], Rank 12 Warg, former Suicidal Warg Squad[/FONT]

[SIZE=2][FONT=arial black][COLOR=#40e0d0]PALAMARK[/COLOR], Wargbait[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tykoshi View Post
    If I were still actually playing, I probably wouldn't. Never been a big fan of Fight Clubs/Circles anyway. My preference by far was always the random encounter. THAT got the adrenaline going better than any pre-fab 1v1ing could IMO

-Pup-
    Totally agree with the random encounter. Those were always > for me as well. Thanks for your input, though.

I would.

I think a lot of folks who congregate for the Fight Clubs would do so, enjoying the idea of being watched but having that guarantee of no outside interference.
    Leafblade, Captain
    [IMG]http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/70969104/2532739[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by joshy8910 View Post
    I made a post on the Monster Play forums a while back about Turbine making a 1v1 arena where no infamy/renown came into play, but just for the challenge of it and the fun. How many of you would actually go to the 1v1 arena if it were created? How many of you would not? I'm just curious and wanted a tally. Thank you for your time.
    If inf/renown were disabled (or 'defeat' were impossible, like in a spar)? probably only sparingly with friends to test things out.

Now if they made an area that was free of the keep/delving inf/renown buffs, OP mastery buffs, and relic buffs in a secluded but accessible area (for both sides); you'd probably be able to find me there any time the action was completely dead or RvR only.

Ultimately a system like you describe would be almost wholly ignored as people want rewards for winning. Any 'easy' system for a designated 1v1 area (set up by turbine) would be fairly easy to exploit by players looking to do so. The Devs probably have no interest in setting up a generally exploit-proof system for 1v1s when the point of the 'moors is open world pvp where generally anything goes (as interpreted by the community).

Its open world pvp and we all really need to accept what that means: if you like 1v1ing go to your servers popular 1v1 spots and do so, and follow whatever 'rules' you choose to live by (and die by). If you hate 1v1s, gank them, or get some friends and try to zerg it. Just be willing to accept the outcome of your actions (or inactions), whatever it may be.
    [center][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2wrm5ja_th.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

Indeed I would

I like 1v1s, the only thing i don't like about them at present is ganking. But, usually i will join in if there is a 1v1 circle gathered with people close to my rank.
    Meshoot, rank 9 Blackarrow, Officer of Freepaphiles Riddermark
    >:} Memento Mori {:<
    Aka Grumpis the honorable Mustelidian Pew Pew of love and cheery brightness.
    >The Mustelidian Cult is the cult, is the cult for you and me<

Quote Originally Posted by spelunker View Post
    If inf/renown were disabled (or 'defeat' were impossible, like in a spar)? probably only sparingly with friends to test things out.

Now if they made an area that was free of the keep/delving inf/renown buffs, OP mastery buffs, and relic buffs in a secluded but accessible area (for both sides); you'd probably be able to find me there any time the action was completely dead or RvR only.
    Yeah, that's what I was suggesting without actually mentioning it. You'd hope that Turbine would have the sense to eliminate those buffs whilst in an instanced area :P.

Ultimately a system like you describe would be almost wholly ignored as people want rewards for winning. Any 'easy' system for a designated 1v1 area (set up by turbine) would be fairly easy to exploit by players looking to do so. The Devs probably have no interest in setting up a generally exploit-proof system for 1v1s when the point of the 'moors is open world pvp where generally anything goes (as interpreted by the community).
    This is why I'm trying to gather data for this poll; to get a consensus of how many people would participate in this. You can't say people wouldn't participate in this, not everyone 1v1s for the "rewards", but you can't also say everyone would participate in the arena; that's the point of the poll .

That's what I was saying in my previous thread, 1v1s have been tainted due to what has been brought with this expac. People are already exploiting the system via 1v1s with all the inflated renown/infamy and OP buffs, etc.

It's kind of annoying seeing the fact they made a MOBA (shown in another thread I made), yet they can't implement a instanced 1v1 zone.

Its open world pvp and we all really need to accept what that means: if you like 1v1ing go to your servers popular 1v1 spots and do so, and follow whatever 'rules' you choose to live by (and die by). If you hate 1v1s, gank them, or get some friends and try to zerg it. Just be willing to accept the outcome of your actions (or inactions), whatever it may be.
    I accepted such when I used to 1v1 out in the moors; I didn't mind getting ganked accidentally, but when people came after 1v1s intentionally, I simply hunted them down .

If it's so open world though, why hasn't Turbine ever made open pvp servers? Another discussion for another time (we all know why unfortunately) .
    Last edited by joshy8910; Aug 05 2013 at 05:08 PM.

This is why I'm trying to gather data for this poll; to get a consensus of how many people would participate in this. You can't say people wouldn't participate in this, not everyone 1v1s for the "rewards", but you can't also say everyone would; that's the point of the poll .

That's what I was saying in my previous thread, 1v1s have been tainted due to what has been brought with this expac. People are already exploiting the system via 1v1s with all the inflated renown/infamy and OP buffs, etc.
    Well the point I was getting at was that even if people in this poll actually said they would participate a lot without inf/renown, in practice I don't believe they actually would, more than sparingly.

And as I said in that thread, 1v1s are no more or less tainted by the delving/keep buffs than RvR action has been. My suggestion of dropping all the PvE buffs from a designated area is rooted in the concept that by having a turbine sanctioned area, things should be even for both sides at all times, and the loss of the risk of a gank should be 'punished' by giving the minimum inf/renown rewards, since the participants are basically leaving the open world pvp when they go to this area.
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

Well the point I was getting at was that even if people in this poll actually said they would participate a lot without inf/renown, in practice I don't believe they actually would, more than sparingly.

And as I said in that thread, 1v1s are no more or less tainted by the delving/keep buffs than RvR action has been. My suggestion of dropping all the PvE buffs from a designated area is rooted in the concept that by having a turbine sanctioned area, things should be even for both sides at all times, and the loss of the risk of a gank should be 'punished' by giving the minimum inf/renown rewards, since the participants are basically leaving the open world pvp when they go to this area.
    Well, we'll probably never know due this most likely never being implemented, now will we? I know I'd be more than willing. Maybe when more people get rank 15, it would be more viable. I guess you could give a little bit of infamy/renown, that's a good suggestion to increase its popularity I guess.

I personally believe that the 1v1s are more tainted than the RvR. RvR always had a chance of zerging, but 1v1s were always a gentleman's agreement sort of thing where challenge and fun was what 1v1ers were looking for, not all the easy points as some of the current "1v1ers" were looking for. That was the point I was trying to make.

That would be awesome, I would challenge every Minstrel possible on my Warleader in a no time limit match first who gets bored to death loses!!
    Shapcidrat SoM-RoR

If it's so open world though, why hasn't Turbine ever made open pvp servers? Another discussion for another time (we all know why unfortunately) .
    who knows, maybe since they aren't willing to spend over 40 bucks on a custom forum that probably 1% or less of their customers use.. they probably just apply that fiscal responsibility elsewhere in-game.
    There may come a time for valor without renown, for those without swords may surely still die upon them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorandril View Post
    who knows, maybe since they aren't willing to spend over 40 bucks on a custom forum that probably 1% or less of their customers use.. they probably just apply that fiscal responsibility elsewhere in-game.
    OHHHHH NOOOOO! NOT A WHOLE 40 DOLLARS! THEY WILL SURELY GO BANKRUPT :P!

Yeah, it's pretty bad how far their greed extends when we know they have plenty of money at their disposal.

Not a fan of fight clubs at all, so no, I would not attend an arena.
    The Lonely Mountain Band
    Pouncival-Rank 15 aroo-Leader of the Pouncing Pwny
    We Pounce Because We Care

I would, but it would need a separate rating.
    Feailuve - Aeviternus - Vesanus
    Brandywine

The important thing about life is the struggle, not the triumph... Said no winner ever.

I enjoy 1v1s every now and then, but random encounter>"organized" 1v1 everytime. I think an arena would take away the little action that we have outside of 1v1s and giant rvrs and make pvp a lot more boring..Just my opinion though.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

I fail to see the purpose of an arena with the current state of the Moors, as a creep I can definitely recognize the challenge, but what of the majority of freep classes, where would said challenge be? Would you in all seriousness call for an arena where one side have to hold back to fight on 'even terms'? What for?
    How did you come up with this idea? Did you get tired of getting interrupted in 1v1's in a open world pvp setting?
    With no inf/renown gain AND (more importantly) no real challenge to be had for the majority of classes, the whole concept is pretty 'meh' to me.

I like 1v1 btw, I prefer them out in the open, away from the circles, but that don't mean I wont take a spar here and there. But actually going to an arena, as things are; hell no!
    I'd spend my time in the woods looking for a solo pie any day over that, thank you very much.
    [IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/547875_10152075720742701_46971757_n.jpg[/IMG]
    66 Maggot Street, Grothum, Arador's End, Ettenmoors.
    Laurelin/Landroval/Brandywine.

Definitely, 1v1s are the best way to sort the good players from the trash (which includes people who don't hold back on their overpowered skills).

I'd agree with outpost buffs being disabled there, but not inf/renown buffs. I'd be in favour of those buffs disappearing entirely, but button mashing in a zerg is already the fastest way to rank, it doesn't need to be made (relatively) even easier.
    Eraelin | Redemnus

Quote Originally Posted by Tarenius View Post
    Definitely, 1v1s are the best way to sort the good players from the trash (which includes people who don't hold back on their overpowered skills).

I'd agree with outpost buffs being disabled there, but not inf/renown buffs. I'd be in favour of those buffs disappearing entirely, but button mashing in a zerg is already the fastest way to rank, it doesn't need to be made (relatively) even easier.
    Well, I'd rather keep the no inf/renown from it, and have a seperate wartab or something for it. Can also make an arena for 2v2, 3v3, 6v6. If it would give inf/renown, there would be so many people in it (I guess), that the actual PvP in the Moors would die.
    Can also make a new currency, to barter gear for the arena fight's, with a new sort of audacity on them. But then it really starts to sound like WoW's Arena system... But well, I like that system
    Feailuve - Aeviternus - Vesanus
    Brandywine

The important thing about life is the struggle, not the triumph... Said no winner ever.

My Home is the Moors, roaming around .....
    I certainly don't 1v1 in any 'spar' area but if it was there then fine with me whatever people want to do.

What shoudl be allowed is an area that can only be entered into when not in combat. Have something like 'Stonehenge' type of rock enclosure that you can only enter when out of combat as I said. Too many times do we have freeps/creeps running to their respective 'spar' places expecting to be saved. If this was created, they'd have nowhere to run to and both sides would be more then happy to have 'spar' place.

Once inside this arena, all OP buffs etc are switched off so that it is a more fairer fight.

Best place to have the enclosure would be where the old South OP use to stand.

Anyone going to/from it would be fair game for both sides knowing full well that once in combat you have to either stand and fight or run to somewhere where you are not going to get help and saved.
    [CENTER]BiteMarks
    ~ the names Marks .... BiteMarks ~
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by poxnoxious View Post
    How did you come up with this idea? Did you get tired of getting interrupted in 1v1's in a open world pvp setting?

Dude, I've died about 30k times between my 3 toons (reaver, guard, hunter) and trust me, I didn't get tired of getting my fights interrupted lol. The way I went about it is this: if it was accidentally interrupted, np, if intentional, I didn't get butthurt, I just hunted the person(s) down , simple as that.

I came up with this idea eons ago, when pvp was actually relatively balanced, so both sides would have enjoyed it then. I just figured I take more of a poll approach to see where people stand.

The reason is not because of interruptions, but that's an indirect reason I guess; it wasn't my original line of thinking, however, but I figured it be a nice if people wanted to test their skills against each other and make it not about the points. Real 1v1ers fight for the challenge and fun of it, not the points, least that's how I always went about it. This expac has tainted 1v1s.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarenius View Post

Yeah, I'd be in favor of a really small gain in infamy/renown, just to make it a little more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Giliodor View Post
    Well, I'd rather keep the no inf/renown from it, and have a seperate wartab or something for it. Can also make an arena for 2v2, 3v3, 6v6. If it would give inf/renown, there would be so many people in it (I guess), that the actual PvP in the Moors would die.
    Can also make a new currency, to barter gear for the arena fight's, with a new sort of audacity on them. But then it really starts to sound like WoW's Arena system... But well, I like that system
    Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to having more than just 1v1s there, up to 6v6 I guess would be fine.

additionally, there would be no necessity to disable the points for 1v1's at all. If you think rank is meaningful you are sorely deluded, at least in my opinion.
    There may come a time for valor without renown, for those without swords may surely still die upon them.

Think it's a great idea for those who'd use it, but to answer the OP's question: No, I wouldn't use this myself.

PvP isn't really my thing and I do it mostly for the comradeship. I could only really see using it (myself at least) for possibly testing some mechanics.
    Hobbits . . .
    Now them's good eatin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorandril View Post
    additionally, there would be no necessity to disable the points for 1v1's at all. If you think rank is meaningful you are sorely deluded, at least in my opinion.
    Rank means nothing? No offense, but doesn't it provide skills/traits for creeps and passive bonuses, and doesn't it give passive bonuses and legendaries to freeps as well? Hardly see how rank is meaningless.

Do you mean meaningless as in its easy acquisition, thus being less meaningful an accomplishment? <I'm thinking that's what you meant, but need clarification.

Do you mean meaningless as in its easy acquisition, thus being less meaningful an accomplishment? <I'm thinking that's what you meant, but need clarification.
    that's what was meant.

Should be arena fighting, can be for 1v1s or 6v6s

That would be awsome
    I do it for the lulz. ~SnH~
    People @ turbine/WB are a huge tease, but dont worry they end up screwing you on every update/expansion.
    " When enough scrubs get together, they accomplish great things "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast