We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mechelen, Belgium
    Posts
    27

    Searching for your own posts

    Search function only finds topics, not regular posts (i.e. replies).

    I was trying to find all my forum posts; I didn't see any link in my profile to get this list, so I tried an Advanced Search, using my user name.
    But despite checking all item types, it only finds 1 match (the single new topic I ever seem to have posted), and none of my replies.

    Also, on the Advanced Seach page there is a "multiple content types" tab, but clicking it does nothing.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    933
    When you type in your name to search for, there will be a drop down menu akin to a auto complete, you have to select it from that. Wasn't till I figured that out that I could search for my own as I was ignoring it and just typing out my name

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Depends on which game I'm in :)
    Posts
    6,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Zastai View Post
    Search function only finds topics, not regular posts (i.e. replies).

    I was trying to find all my forum posts; I didn't see any link in my profile to get this list, so I tried an Advanced Search, using my user name.
    But despite checking all item types, it only finds 1 match (the single new topic I ever seem to have posted), and none of my replies.

    Also, on the Advanced Seach page there is a "multiple content types" tab, but clicking it does nothing.

    When you click on the Advanced Search link the "Search Multiple Content Types" tab is already selected, which is why clicking on it won't do anything. If you click on the "Search Single Content Type" tab there will be an option to display the results as either Threads (default) or Posts, same as the old forums had.

    If you click on your forum name in the post it will bring up a context menu. Click and hold on the "View Forum Posts" option and drag it to the desktop. This will create a shortcut that gives you a direct link to get all your posts. You can save the shortcut to your bookmark folder later if you like.
    "Everyone's got one. Better to be a smart one than a dumb one." - me
    "It's people like you that [I]think[/I] you know everything that give those of us that [I]do[/I] a bad name." - me
    "Eat, drink, and be Merry, 'cause Pippin was a fool of a Took."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    357
    A simple "find all my posts" choice would be much preferable to all this nonsense.
    I7-950, Sabertooth X58, 6950, 840SSD (250gig), 6gb ram, 1920x1200 28i, Win 8

  5. #5
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,519
    Quote Originally Posted by daneyul View Post
    A simple "find all my posts" choice would be much preferable to all this nonsense.
    Click your own name at the top of any post. Choose "view forum posts."

  6. #6
    Begs the question... how to find a post of mine to find a post of mine...

    Point is, this is one bog standard feature of every forum out there that should probably have been on the page for the revamp. Ah well.
    Last edited by Vandervahn; Aug 07 2013 at 05:41 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandervahn View Post
    Begs the question... how to find a post of mine to find a post of mine...
    Could always go to your profile (and bookmark it), which shows your posts under the My Activity tab.
    Last edited by Saniko; Aug 09 2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Removing white text color
    Laineth, Lassdhel, Rikkom, Rilem, & alts // Google+
    Scholar Resource Maps for Eriador (https://goo.gl/photos/RavGWt9AYPNb6Wes5), Rhovanion (https://goo.gl/photos/jRuu1TmSoXGCfpTS7), and Gondor (https://goo.gl/photos/UD6JKgJQLcsMLYNHA)
    Many hands make light work; please help update the LOTRO Wiki!
    It takes a tree decades to grow to maturity, minutes to cut it down.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Saniko View Post
    Could always go to your profile (and bookmark it), which shows your posts under the My Activity tab.
    And where would I found my profile with the activity tab?
    "My account" on the top of the forum goes to your Turbine account.
    There's no direct link to your own profile or Control Panel. The only way you can get there is to go to Forum actions -> "general settings" (which lands you in your settings page for the forum) or "edit profile" (which lands you in your editing profile page). Once you're on the Control Panel (which actually would be a more logical link to go to then general settings or edit profile).
    I assume I need to click on the settings link under the main menu bar once I'm in general settings or in edit profile? Then I can see all the topics I've been subscribed to which have new posts (not necessarily my posts, after all you can subscribe to a thread without posting in it.....). And to see all topics I've subscribed to, I have to click again, now on Subscriptions in the menu on the left or on the button "view all subscribed threads".
    No "my activity tab" or "profile overview" to be found......
    Country: Netherlands, Current Server: Nimrodel. Future server: Landroval
    Sheherezi's an Eastemnet Cook & Farmer

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriya View Post
    And where would I found my profile with the activity tab?
    If you know where to find one of your posts in the forum (e.g. here in this thread), you can go there, click on your name on top of the post, and then click on View Profile. This works for yourself as well as for other people.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Saniko View Post
    Could always go to your profile (and bookmark it), which shows your posts under the My Activity tab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odlind View Post
    If you know where to find one of your posts in the forum (e.g. here in this thread), you can go there, click on your name on top of the post, and then click on View Profile. This works for yourself as well as for other people.
    Well hello circular logic

    Dont get me wrong, this is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but one has to ask why a community central that was redu-proved to the bare minimum doesnt let you find your posts without finding a post first. This can be considered a basic feature.

    The profile page itself is a better (albeit entirely off-the-shelf) overview than before, but you have to take detours to get there. Not the least since it contains the shiny new infraction panel which was much-written about by TPTB.

    Just put a link there in the first spot of the navigation bar, instead of all those other cryptic panels, and we´d have a marked improvement.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,677
    Wasn't this also an issue on the old forums? I don't tend to go looking for my own posts (I just follow certain threads I'm interested in, and respond), so I don't know, but I do remember Nymphonic complaining about it...

    Khafar

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mechelen, Belgium
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Click your own name at the top of any post. Choose "view forum posts."
    Ah good - seems unecessarily convoluted though. Is it really so difficult to have a link to my profile and/or control panel at the top, like in almost every other forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Penter-Kar View Post
    When you click on the Advanced Search link the "Search Multiple Content Types" tab is already selected, which is why clicking on it won't do anything. If you click on the "Search Single Content Type" tab there will be an option to display the results as either Threads (default) or Posts, same as the old forums had.
    Aha, it's the forums color scheme that bit me here - for some reason, using "bright" for unselected things and "dark" for selected ones was considered a good idea, depite it being the complete opposite of standard GUI principles. If there had been a third tab, it would have made it more immediately noticeable.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriya View Post
    And where would I found my profile with the activity tab?
    "My account" on the top of the forum goes to your Turbine account.
    There's no direct link to your own profile or Control Panel.
    I agree there should be a direct link from the menu, though I don't recall anything like that from a previous vBulletin forum (always used browser history).

    For now, if you click on your name at the top of your post (or in forum list if you were the last post in a thread), a little box shows up with options for View Profile, View Forum Posts, Private Message, and Add as Contact. Click View Profile and bookmark/shortcut it, only have to do once.
    Last edited by Saniko; Aug 09 2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Removing white text color
    Laineth, Lassdhel, Rikkom, Rilem, & alts // Google+
    Scholar Resource Maps for Eriador (https://goo.gl/photos/RavGWt9AYPNb6Wes5), Rhovanion (https://goo.gl/photos/jRuu1TmSoXGCfpTS7), and Gondor (https://goo.gl/photos/UD6JKgJQLcsMLYNHA)
    Many hands make light work; please help update the LOTRO Wiki!
    It takes a tree decades to grow to maturity, minutes to cut it down.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    345
    Thank you Saniko! I'll use this work-around, but the logical isn't there in the basics.... Too bad. Like Vandervahn said, please put a link to the profile and the User control panel in the menu bar (perhaps next to "Submit a bug"?) and that will be a great help. Far better than the workaround we have to use now!
    Country: Netherlands, Current Server: Nimrodel. Future server: Landroval
    Sheherezi's an Eastemnet Cook & Farmer

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Saniko View Post
    I agree there should be a direct link from the menu, though I don't recall anything like that from a previous vBulletin forum (always used browser history).

    For now, if you click on your name at the top of your post (or in forum list if you were the last post in a thread), a little box shows up with options for View Profile, View Forum Posts, Private Message, and Add as Contact. Click View Profile and bookmark/shortcut it, only have to do once.
    It worked fine at first, but... strangely, the shortcut ceases to work eventually. (Reports "no search items found") At least for me it did when I've tried it after logging out and coming back a few hours later (and re-logging in.) Does the search id time out like this for anyone else?
    I7-950, Sabertooth X58, 6950, 840SSD (250gig), 6gb ram, 1920x1200 28i, Win 8

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by daneyul View Post
    It worked fine at first, but... strangely, the shortcut ceases to work eventually. (Reports "no search items found") At least for me it did when I've tried it after logging out and coming back a few hours later (and re-logging in.) Does the search id time out like this for anyone else?
    Odd, I haven't seen that. Does refreshing or resubmitting the URL do anything? I'll try to see if I can get the message to come up.

    Code:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/member.php?1228208-daneyul
    Last edited by Saniko; Aug 09 2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Laineth, Lassdhel, Rikkom, Rilem, & alts // Google+
    Scholar Resource Maps for Eriador (https://goo.gl/photos/RavGWt9AYPNb6Wes5), Rhovanion (https://goo.gl/photos/jRuu1TmSoXGCfpTS7), and Gondor (https://goo.gl/photos/UD6JKgJQLcsMLYNHA)
    Many hands make light work; please help update the LOTRO Wiki!
    It takes a tree decades to grow to maturity, minutes to cut it down.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,677
    Quote Originally Posted by daneyul View Post
    Does the search id time out like this for anyone else?
    Search IDs have always timed out on vBulletin forums. Basically, the system caches the results of a search with a fixed set of parameters, then uses that cache to speed up anyone else doing an identical query. Pretty standard stuff for search. The ID can be used to access the search results, but only until it ages out of the cache... then it won't return anything.

    For example, I just did a search for the word "Lottery" in posts by "Sapience", and got this link for it:

    https://www.lotro.com/forums/search....archid=5374299

    That will work for you too, for the next while. I'd guess an hour or two. Then it won't work for anyone, not even me. By looking at the actual request sent to their website (using Chrome's Developer Tools), I can see what the query looked like:

    https://www.lotro.com/forums/search.php?query=Lottery&title only=0&searchuser=Sapience&exa ctname=1&searchdate=0&beforeaf ter=after&sortby=relevance&ord er=descending&saveprefs=1&dose arch=Search+Now&s=&do=process& searchthreadid=

    Pretty ugly, even if you ignore the spaces vBulletin inserts in it to keep it from making the post too wide. If you want to try it, this link should keep on working forever.

    Khafar
    Last edited by Khafar; Aug 09 2013 at 08:50 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload