We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Post Dynamic Signature Generator for LotRO-Characters

I have launched Dynamic Signature Generator for LotRO-Characters. Which is a free fan-service image creator. No strings attached. Which by coincident is perfectly timed with Turbine removing their own signature image generator And them also allowing an external image in signatures

If you use one of the data sources (only GuildPortal at this time), the image is dynamically updated with data from your characters stats. So if you e.g. change level, just change it on the character-page of your selected data source and the image will update as well (when reloaded).

It is also possible to make a signature without having a data source. But then you will have to save the image and upload it to a server of your choice.

For PHP programmers:
    If you want your forum-host to be available as a data source, and if you have enough knowledge of PHP to make a script that can extract the data; you can contact me. I can also provide an example script.
    Last edited by Kalmo; Aug 05 2013 at 11:36 PM.

Nice one. However there doesn't seem a way to specify crafting info manually, any chance to add that?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    there doesn't seem a way to specify crafting info manually, any chance to add that?
    There is a chance I guess :-) Not easy to show the crafting info within a small space. But it's something I consider doing still.

Only thought about it because I saw it in your sig

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    Only thought about it because I saw it in your sig
    Yea. And in my sig u can see how much space it takes with just one craft skill I initially tried to fit all 3 skills in that space which turned out impossible.

At the moment I'm considering to put it on the left side of the top bar. And using icons instead of the skill names. Though u can always just write it out in one of the text lines, like Title.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmo View Post
    Yea. And in my sig u can see how much space it takes with just one craft skill I initially tried to fit all 3 skills in that space which turned out impossible.
    For me one would enough, you can only be guilded in one profession anyway and that's the interesting one usually.

Very cool man. I never could get it to save right, so I just made a static jpg. I don't use guildportal so it's all good. Thanks!

The only suggestion I would make would be to simplify the graphics on the borders because on a majority of them, you can't really read any of the text you put down there.
    Last edited by Widoch; Aug 05 2013 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Widoch View Post
    The only suggestion I would make would be to simplify the graphics on the borders because on a majority of them, you can't really read any of the text you put down there.
    Hmm. I don't have a problem there. But maybe it's down to monitor quality or settings. Anyway, maybe that could be solved with a thicker black outline of the text. I'll test it out.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    We are working very hard to allow the continuation of linking to images in forum signatures. We have a set of guidelines in place that all signatures must follow. These signatures are larger than permitted. Also, 100k on average is far too large for a signature image. They should be kept small. Ideally under 50K each.

Please review the guidelines so we do not have to disable this ability in the future.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?519074-Absolutely-NO-animated-images-in-signatures

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Also, 100k on average is far too large for a signature image.
    You're making me feel young again with those 90's web guidelines

Poo...but rules are rules

Looks like your height is good, just need to cut down the width. After playing around in photoshop a bit, removing "kinship" text and "on" would allow you to bump the Kinship name over to the left, and the server as well. Then you can move and adjust some of the other icons and end up with something like this. (Yes, it's not clean but I'm just playing with sizes)

Sapience would need to confirm I suppose, but this image I've made would fit the requirements, no?

I have gone ahead and resized my sig so as not to get in trouble, but I would like to see an option with less width rather than making it short in order to not lose proportion.

It's a great idea.
    Last edited by Widoch; Aug 05 2013 at 12:59 PM.

Please review the guidelines so we do not have to disable this ability in the future.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-in-signatures
    PS. U should probably put these guidelines on the page where u edit ur signature where they are needed. There is no need to "hide" them on the forums Would probably also save moderators for having to post this over and over again.

I made all text outlines thicker. Hope it's enough to help.

We are working very hard to allow the continuation of linking to images in forum signatures. We have a set of guidelines in place that all signatures must follow. These signatures are larger than permitted. Also, 100k on average is far too large for a signature image. They should be kept small. Ideally under 50K each.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-in-signatures
    Wow those are strict indeed. I guess I can get the file-size down by doing jpeg instead of png. Though I would say that if u play LotRO u have a connection which do not care about images of this file-size. But the image size limit is beyond my understanding. This image is even quite smaller than Turbines original signature which even I found too big Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by Widoch View Post
    Looks like your height is good, just need to cut down the width. After playing around in photoshop a bit, removing "kinship" text and "on" would allow you to bump the Kinship name over to the left, and the server as well. Then you can move and adjust some of the other icons and end up with something like this. (Yes, it's not clean but I'm just playing with sizes)
    Your suggestions is not bad at all. I'll have to do something like this.

So, please refrain from using this until I get all this fixed. Gonna take quite some days I'm afraid.

Thanks for this, Kalmo. I hope you get it to work with the requirements.
    [CENTER][URL="http://toarda.com"][IMG]http://www.toarda.com/img/LOTROforumprofile.png[/IMG][/URL]
    Retired. My LOTRO projects will no longer be maintained.
    [/CENTER]

I finally got a chance to play around with your sig generator and I must say... Incredibly awesome job! I hope folks follow the rules so that your sig generator continues to be used.
    "I think we can all agree that more options for everyone is always a positive thing." --[URL="http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?p=6453032"]Sapience[/URL]

Wonderful tool. Thanks!

Thumbs up

Great job on this sig generator! I might switch to it instead of using siglaunch.
    [LEFT][IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-v5SYjps_xD4/UgLOIJtQ0KI/AAAAAAAAVKc/hZxOQMDkoP4/s800/sig-lotro3.jpg[/IMG][/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by mqb View Post
    Great job on this sig generator! I might switch to it instead of using siglaunch.
    The SigLaunch one you're currently using is larger than allowed, according to the Turbine guidelines. Switching to Kalmö's will keep you out of trouble!
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb412/lcainsa/LOTRO/newcustomsig_zpsa3ba3eae.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Alcaniel View Post
    The SigLaunch one you're currently using is larger than allowed, according to the Turbine guidelines. Switching to Kalmö's will keep you out of trouble!
    Thanks for the heads up, Alcaniel. I thought the siglaunch ones looked a little big, but I never got a chance to check the dimensions. Anyway, I generated one, and am using that instead. Just wish it was able to link to data.lotro.com to dynamically pull the level into the image.
    [LEFT][IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-v5SYjps_xD4/UgLOIJtQ0KI/AAAAAAAAVKc/hZxOQMDkoP4/s800/sig-lotro3.jpg[/IMG][/LEFT]

Just wish it was able to link to data.lotro.com to dynamically pull the level into the image.
    I wish so too. Would make it so much easier for me. But sadly that service will be discontinued So not much point making a script for that. Or else I would have launched the generator with that option.

But I'm happy that I at least could help u get a new sig

Thanks for creating the signature generator, Kalmo. I had fun playing with it. Nice amount of options!

And thanks, Sapience, for giving us a chance to use custom signatures. I will keep my fingers crossed that they will stick around.
    [IMG]http://themaskedshrike.com/lotrobanners/sig-lotro8sm.jpg[/IMG]

AWESOME job, sir! Thank you very much! Plenty of choices, nice taste, and it works like a charm.

Sorry for pointing it out, but I think you actually should do that asap, since your signature is way too big for the rules

Yes, thank you for this. I was able to get my signature just the way I wanted it.

Here's a tip for folks who want to use it though: if you upload your image to your Picasa gallery and then link to it, it will make your image too big. You need to *save* it to Picasa from the desktop program directly in order to avoid this.

Sorry, Sapience, but it seems there are some that are determined to make you wrong.

I've never been able to understand why it is that people are unable to read and follow rules even when they've been linked over and over in this topic alone.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

I have launched Dynamic Signature Generator for LotRO-Characters. Which is a free fan-service image creator. No strings attached. Which by coincident is perfectly timed with Turbine removing their own signature image generator And them also allowing an external image in signatures

If you use one of the data sources (only GuildPortal at this time), the image is dynamically updated with data from your characters stats. So if you e.g. change level, just change it on the character-page of your selected data source and the image will update as well (when reloaded).

It is also possible to make a signature without having a data source. But then you will have to save the image and upload it to a server of your choice.

For PHP programmers:
    If you want your forum-host to be available as a data source, and if you have enough knowledge of PHP to make a script that can extract the data; you can contact me. I can also provide an example script.
    thanks so much!!!!